• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Ocean 5: Integrity and Faithlessness |OT| Once more into the undiscovered ocean

Kvik

Squeenix Store has shipped out my CE, hopefully it'll get here next week. Also Grand Kingdom releasing tomorrow as well. Busy times indeed.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
I loved SO2 and SO3, but SO4 bored me because the story lost me

Should I play SO5?

The story and characters are better than 4 but the game itself is shorter cause of a lack of budget. You should buy it if you want another game with a higher budget

Mesharey

Gonna copy what I wrote in the other thread:

Started playing it today.. kinda disappointed with the lack of cutscenes and the bad camera. :/

I loved Star Ocean 4, played it like 150 hours, but the beginning here is so disappointing, lack of cutscenes as well.

The cutscenes are kinda in the gameplay, I mean when you walk the characters talk and stuff.

It's short as I read, that's good for me at least.

nikos

Nice OT!

Can't wait to pick this up. It releases on my birthday, so that'll be nice. One of the reasons, along with GCU, that I've been holding out on purchasing it from the local shops that already have it. Hoping for some nice environments and a decent story.

Gonna give this game a shot. I am okay with the SOUND of the smaller scale personally, but I'm really more or less hoping the combat is fun and the characters are much more likeable than 4. Really enjoyed 2 and 3, but never played the original.

thedan001

The story and characters are better than 4 but the game itself is shorter cause of a lack of budget. You should buy it if you want another game with a higher budget

My favorite part about Star Ocean games were its battle system and mechanics

I remember the devs saying they were gonna go back to the roots with the battle system, is it implementend well? Big changes? What is it more similiar to from past games?

Thanks for all the informative posts

MilkBeard

Can you pre-load games on PSN? I feel like this should be a feature, especially for those of us with shitty download speeds...

Wagram

Squeenix Store has shipped out my CE, hopefully it'll get here next week. Also Grand Kingdom releasing tomorrow as well. Busy times indeed.

You should be receiving it on Tuesday. It has on or near release date delivery. Mine is scheduled for Tuesday and I had free shipping.

MilkBeard

yeah, the download is up for preloading

How do you access it, might I ask? I'm at the game's page on PSN, and I even have the clock for when the game is available, but there's no pre-load option.

EDIT: I see, you have to go into the library and download it from there. Glad I asked. Still, the option should be available on the store.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
I remember the devs saying they were gonna go back to the roots with the battle system, is it implementend well? Big changes? What is it more similiar to from past games?

Thanks for all the informative posts

Seems similar to 3 and 4 to me. Stick with what you know i guess.

keero16

Neo Member
Can't wait, I really hope it lives up to my expectations. A shorter game is a little worrying, but if the combat is fun and the story is decent that'll be good enough I think

Orcastar

Can't decide whether I should get this or Odin Sphere: Leifthrasir... I loved SO2 and SO3 back in the day, but never played SO4.

TEJ

I have it paid off. I'm not expecting anything mindblowing but i do hope for a rock solid jrpg experience.

Can't really say I'm excited for this star ocean but I got a copy coming from Amazon anyways. Hearing that this one is far more limited in-scope really put a damper on my excitement levels. There were a lot of issues with Star Ocean 4 but I really felt that you were on an adventure.

Z3M0G

Not a bad game, although I was surprised how short it was (~21-22 hours while doing a bunch of sidequests). Didn't do the post-game content, so I have no idea how long it takes.

I enjoyed the combat and the role system, although the latter allowed me to break a game in a way that made the last stretch of the game a cakewalk.

Biggest offenders are the small scope (I don't mind smaller stories per se, but this one felt limited due to a budget) and repeated maps/enemies.

On the other hand, I really liked most of the characters, which is a great thing for a JRPG.

If anyone is interested in checking out the game, I streamed my whole playthrough and you can check the archive here.

Short and easy are music to my ears. Might have just sold me on the game.

OuterLimits

Not a bad game, although I was surprised how short it was (~21-22 hours while doing a bunch of sidequests). Didn't do the post-game content, so I have no idea how long it takes.

I enjoyed the combat and the role system, although the latter allowed me to break a game in a way that made the last stretch of the game a cakewalk.

Biggest offenders are the small scope (I don't mind smaller stories per se, but this one felt limited due to a budget) and repeated maps/enemies.

On the other hand, I really liked most of the characters, which is a great thing for a JRPG.

If anyone is interested in checking out the game, I streamed my whole playthrough and you can check the archive here.

This game is only 20-25 hours long? Well, that kind of sucks.

TEJ

This game is only 20-25 hours long? Well, that kind of sucks.

I think i prefer that kind of length over the bloated jrpg that's only long due to filler.

Some of my favorite jrpgs like phantasy star 4, chrono trigger and super mario rpg are 10-15 hours long because they lack filler or at least dont have much of it.

As someone who has never played a Star Ocean game, are the stories linked with the previous games so that I can't get a grasp on what will be happening in Star Ocean 5?

I'm thinking of picking it up and trying it up.

Wagram

As someone who has never played a Star Ocean game, are the stories linked with the previous games so that I can't get a grasp on what will be happening in Star Ocean 5?

I'm thinking of picking it up and trying it up.

They're completely separate stories. However, there are tiny connections here and there that allow the player to get more out of it. You'll be fine if you jump in here.

I'm getting this but also thinking of going back and playing Star Ocean 4 on PS3 after finishing this. I played Till the end of time back in the day but never played 4. Is 4 a good game?

Was planning to get this but not certain anymore after hearing how short it was .
Will decide this week if to buy now or wait for a sale next few months and buy grand kingdom instead.

Need this in my veeeins. Feels like its been forever since 4.

I'm getting this but also thinking of going back and playing Star Ocean 4 on PS3 after finishing this. I played Till the end of time back in the day but never played 4. Is 4 a good game?

4 has some questionable characters and VA, but gameplay is very solid.

I can appreciate a short and sweet experience, bring it

Some of my favorite jrpgs like phantasy star 4, chrono trigger and super mario rpg are 10-15 hours long because they lack filler or at least dont have much of it.

This is a great point

Rymuth

Nice OT - I've already got my copy reserved but I'm still undecided whether this'll be my next RPG or Trails of Cold Steel.

I'm already ready to replay this in English. One of the benefits of the short length, I guess. Let's do it.
Wait-what? Really? Is it all killer and no filler then?

squall211

Order has been shipped.
Anticipation is high.
Can't wait to dive in to another mainline SO game again.

I was sure 4 was the death of the series. I've got my fingers crossed that NA/EU sales of this game meet expectations.

kromeo

I was sure I decided against buying this after reading so much negative about it but I got a email saying SE have charged me for the special edition.. Oh well, would have got it at some point anyway

I think i prefer that kind of length over the bloated jrpg that's only long due to filler.

There's plenty of filler. This game isn't varied like the ones you listed. It's really not the length that is the problem with this game. It's the content itself, its use of the content, and the limited presentation (I'm not sure this is explained away by "budget"). There's really only one thing this game does reasonably well. The battle system is fun.

They're completely separate stories. However, there are tiny connections here and there that allow the player to get more out of it. You'll be fine if you jump in here.

So this means I can go ahead and get it, good enough it's been quite some time since I last played any JRPG.

Bl@de

Started playing it today.. kinda disappointed with the lack of cutscenes and the bad camera. :/

I loved Star Ocean 4, played it like 150 hours, but the beginning here is so disappointing, lack of cutscenes as well.

The cutscenes are kinda in the gameplay, I mean when you walk the characters talk and stuff.

What's wrong with the camera?

Normally i wouldn't agree on that last comment, but as of the last 6 years of my life, my gaming time has shrinked CONSIDERABLY, thus i'm starting to re-evaluate rpg that are in the 15-35 hours as the "optimal" timerange, especially if they manage to pack the whole game in this timeframe..
overdragged games ticking 70-90 hours like the first witcher are not for me anymore i guess :/

Z3M0G

I loved SO2. Like some others have said, one of the best JRPGs ever.

I quit 3 after 15 hours because it was going nowhere.

I quit 4 because i hated the long gaps between savepoints.

Should i enjoy this? It sound like it.

Bladenic

I loved SO2. Like some others have said, one of the best JRPGs ever.

I quit 3 after 15 hours because it was going nowhere.

I quit 4 because i hated the long gaps between savepoints.

Should i enjoy this? It sound like it.

At the very least, based on estimates play times, you'd be almost done with the game if you played it as long as you did SO3. So even if you don't love it, you'd at least likely finish it. Importers can discuss this further, but I haven't heard any save point complaints like the ones about SO4.

Top Bottom