• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Ocean 5: Integrity and Faithlessness |OT| Once more into the undiscovered ocean

D

Deleted member 57681

Unconfirmed Member
I was the biggest SO fanboy circa 2 to 3, and then 4 burned me so hard. I couldn't even get past 30h, it was so bad. This sounds like it might draw me in again, can't wait to dive in.

Zareka

I need something to kill time between now and ZTD arriving and this is £33 on Amazon. 25-ish hours sounds absolutely perfect too. I think I'll pick this up if I can.

Glad to hear the battle system is fun. I've been hearing mixed messages so far.

Skulldead

The japaness impression really turn me off from this release, my CE is on the way, perhaps I'll change my mind .... I would have go directly to harder difficulty, but they decide AGAIN to keep them lock at first, i heard the game was easy to break like Star Ocean 4... break a game on hardest difficulty is always a little harder lol.

D

Deleted member 57681

Unconfirmed Member
The japaness impression really turn me off from this release, my CE is on the way, perhaps I'll change my mind .... I would have go directly to harder difficulty, but they decide AGAIN to keep them lock at first, i heard the game was easy to break like Star Ocean 4... break a game on hardest difficulty is always a little harder lol.
Uh yeah, about that, is there at least a hard mode from the beginning? What's the difference to normal if there is one?

Despera

Banned
You know what... considering how bad the stories are in games like Star Ocean and Tales a shorter playtime should be a selling point :p

Can't wait to get my hands on it.

Skulldead

Uh yeah, about that, is there at least a hard mode from the beginning? What's the difference to normal if there is one?

Easy (Earth) - Normal (Galaxy) at the beginning, then after beat final boss you unlock The 2 (Universe and Chaos). Saw a chaos video, doesn't look that bad... probably he knows what to do..

D

Deleted member 57681

Unconfirmed Member
Easy (Earth) - Normal (Galaxy) at the beginning, then after beat final boss you unlock The 2 (Universe and Chaos). Saw a chaos video, doesn't look that bad... probably he knows what to do..
Fuck, was hoping there's a hard mode from the beginning :(

Vitanimus

am super happy that this game even exists. a lot of the impressions say the game is short which is fine with me, since lately I find I can never finish a game. i'll probably buy the game when it's a tiny bit cheaper, or comes to PC, but will definitely support the game and hope for more from the series!

Kinda glad to hear it's short as I don't really have the patience for long games anymore. Ordered the steelbook cuz they didn't have the normal version available over here.

Kinda glad to hear it's short as I don't really have the patience for long games anymore. Ordered the steelbook cuz they didn't have the normal version available over here.

The padding in SO2, & SO4 was awefull. the story padding in SO3 was also annoying , glad that it's gone. What matters is quality not quantity , especially with a great battle system and more difficulties.

Still didn't receive my shipping confirmation from S-E webshop...
What are they waiting for ?

RPGCrazied

Bring it on! Can't wait to play this. From impressions I've read it looks like its better than 4, so that is a relief. I read its short, shorter than an average jRPG, but with so many games coming out its not a big deal.

Ricker

Hearing this is on the shorter side has actually bumped it up to day 1 for me.

I like long RPG's,got close to 100 hours on Witcher 3 and the Fallout's etc etc but with summer and being away from home 5 days a week,this will be a welcome short RPG that I might even finish before some of my backlogs lol,like the Tales series...I wont rush it,hopefully its 30 hours max,which seems to be the case(22-25).

Ugh...I hate when they do this...all games should have the 3 standard difficulty off the bat...I play all my games on normal but does this means Galaxy is harder then a ''normal'' or is Earth normal...guess I will start on Galaxy and find out.

Eh, I'd say the Japanese buyers who couldn't be bothered ensured that moreso than the West. Of course I suppose there's always the chance that the West saves the day with sales.

Japan doesn't really buy many games in quantities that matter anymore. It is usually up to the West to carry sales the vast majority of the time.

Angel_DvA

I know some people want us to support the game and the series but I won't do it at 60$, the game is pretty average from what I read/heard, it's a low budget game with average graphics, weak scenario, repetitive area, the game is really short too and the lack of cut-scenes is mind blowing.

I'll get it at 30$ or used at best.

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
I like long RPG's,got close to 100 hours on Witcher 3 and the Fallout's etc etc but with summer and being away from home 5 days a week,this will be a welcome short RPG that I might even finish before some of my backlogs lol,like the Tales series...I wont rush it,hopefully its 30 hours max,which seems to be the case(22-25).

Ugh...I hate when they do this...all games should have the 3 standard difficulty off the bat...I play all my games on normal but does this means Galaxy is harder then a ''normal'' or is Earth normal...guess I will start on Galaxy and find out.

Go Galaxy.

As even Galaxy is fairly easy for the most part outside of sections where equipment might not be up to par.

Lren

Bring it on! Can't wait to play this. From impressions I've read it looks like its better than 4, so that is a relief. I read its short, shorter than an average jRPG, but with so many games coming out its not a big deal.

That's sorta how I feel too. Considering Firefight this week as well and Tokyo Mirage Session from last week, while finishing up my relic in FFXIV, the shorter jaunt isn't so big a deal right now lol.

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
I know some people want us to support the game and the series but I won't do it at 60$, the game is pretty average from what I read/heard, it's a low budget game with average graphics, weak scenario, repetitive area, the game is really short too and the lack of cut-scenes is mind blowing.

I'll get it at 30$ or used at best.

The developers see no money if you buy the game used. Just saying.

shark sandwich

tenuously links anime, pedophile and incels
4 has some questionable characters and VA, but gameplay is very solid.
That...is being incredibly charitable. SO4 has some of the most annoying characters, horrible writing, and terrible dialog that I have ever experienced in a JRPG. That is not hyperbole.

Not a bad game, although I was surprised how short it was (~21-22 hours while doing a bunch of sidequests). Didn't do the post-game content, so I have no idea how long it takes.

I enjoyed the combat and the role system, although the latter allowed me to break a game in a way that made the last stretch of the game a cakewalk.

Biggest offenders are the small scope (I don't mind smaller stories per se, but this one felt limited due to a budget) and repeated maps/enemies.

On the other hand, I really liked most of the characters, which is a great thing for a JRPG.

If anyone is interested in checking out the game, I streamed my whole playthrough and you can check the archive here.
Sounds fun enough. Is it really that short? I was going to skip it because I wouldn't have time for it, but if it's that short I may be able to work it in. Is there any chance you rushed it? Even if you did sidequests. Can anyone else who has play it deny or confirm their playtime?

ys45

Question for people who already played it , hows the difficulty ? Any spike later on ? can you change difficulty in-game ?

I remember playing SO3 and was doing okay until I a difficulty spike (a boss to be precise) and I almost gave up on the game .

Also the fact that the game is short is kinda like a plus for me I fee like it would be refreshing playing a jrpg that is not 60h + for a change

D

Deleted member 57681

Unconfirmed Member
That...is being incredibly charitable. SO4 has some of the most annoying characters, horrible writing, and terrible dialog that I have ever experienced in a JRPG. That is not hyperbole.
And I don't even think the gameplay held up to 3. I mean, I was super insulted by the terrible characters and story (legit the first and only time I ever got mad at a JRPG for things like that), so that might cloud my memories a bit, but wasn't blindsiding basically broken for the first half of the game and you couldn't even change targets in battle without like clawing the pad like an idiot?
God I hate that game.

Eylos

Banned
The developers see no money if you buy the game used. Just saying.

thats why i will buy on a sale

I love star ocean 1 and 2, waiting for the reviews to see which tier is

star ocean 1 and 2 tier (excelent)

star ocean 3 tier (ok)

star ocean 4 tier ( "kay level)

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
Sounds fun enough. Is it really that short? I was going to skip it because I wouldn't have time for it, but if it's that short I may be able to work it in. Is there any chance you rushed it? Even if you did sidequests. Can anyone else who has play it deny or confirm their playtime?
Sorry, I didn't really rush it. Sidequests felt like busywork after a while, so I only did those which I had items for already, but I was still watching optional skits-like scenes between characters, did quite a bit of leveling etc.

MilkBeard

That is a bit hyperbolic though.

It's bad, but come on. Game still has redeeming qualities.

Cornbread78

This morning US time (so in the next few hours, probably in 1 hour at 7 PT). Found with a quick Twitter search https://twitter.com/pkollar/status/746420943476580353

Yeah, I keep refreshing:
http://www.metacritic.com/game/playstation-4/star-ocean-integrity-and-faithlessness

but nothing is popping up. I'm expecting it to come out in the 70's somewhere, but I rarely go by reviews of jrpgs because by nature, it is a very ambiguous genre to review outside of obvious technical/difficulty issues.

bomblord1

Banned
Getting this and playing it right after Tokyo Mirage session I adore scifi JRPG's and I've loved to liked all the Star Ocean games (yes even 4)

oSoLucky

I love Star Ocean, but the thought of having to look at Miki's face is turning me off. I don't know why, but it actively bothers me =(.

Shifty1897

Reviews incoming in 20 minutes, just reading the pulse of the English speaking internet, I'm not expecting things to go well.

Sorry, I didn't really rush it. Sidequests felt like busywork after a while, so I only did those which I had items for already, but I was still watching optional skits-like scenes between characters, did quite a bit of leveling etc.
Normally I'd be disappointed, but considering how strapped for time I am, this actually makes it possible for me to play it.

Top Bottom