• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Ocean 5: Integrity and Faithlessness |OT| Once more into the undiscovered ocean

MilkBeard

Waiting for them reviews like
giphy.gif

This game is kind of slipping under the radar. Did SE even give out review codes?

Also, considering The Last Hope averaged between 72 and 74, I'm hoping this version will at least be that.

Cornbread78

This game is kind of slipping under the radar. Did SE even give out review codes?

Also, considering The Last Hope averaged between 72 and 74, I'm hoping this version will at least be that.

I wish there was more transparency when it comes to this stuff.

I thought OpenCritic was supposed to post when these review embargo's end, but who knows, there still isn't a single one online..

MilkBeard

https://twitter.com/pkollar/status/747300969973637120

Guess the embargo lifts at 9pm PST tonight, is this a thing?

How do we know this is Star Ocean, though? There are a number of games releasing today. I guess the fact that none of the SO5 reviews are up is an indicator. He doesn't mention which game in the tweet though.

EDIT: It does look like he's tweeting pics from SO menus. Some of those stat descriptions are kind of interesting. They are like math problems lol.

shark sandwich

tenuously links anime, pedophile and incels
Well then, now I want to replay SO4.

Truly great stuff, though maybe not in the way the devs intended.

e: Actually, maybe like a humorous let's play would be better. Thanks to R_thanatos' post above I remembered how awful some/most/all of the dungeons were in SO4
I'd definitely watch a compilation of cutscenes with commentary. No desire to watch all the long, boring dungeons however.

So, right as the game releases on the East coast, WTF SE.....
That's probably not a good sign, unfortunately.

that infamous square enix japanese games marketing tactic
sending japanese games out without much advertising or awareness even among reviewers

Cornbread78

I'll keep checking all day to see if for an reason they allow the reviewers earlier. If not I'll post the OT I put together in here and anyone can just cut and paste to post at midnight or create a new one if they want.. I cannot stay up all night updating it, lol.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
Short and easy are music to my ears. Might have just sold me on the game.

I do agree that not every RPG needs to be 100 hour epics. There's a difference between game length and scope, though... a lot of SNES and PS1 games were ~30 hours but they got you to the good stuff rather quickly and had enough of a variety in locales and setpieces, along with a rapid-fire plot that has enough time to develop. Sadly, based on import impressions, it seems that SO5 lacks that kind of scope, which is much more disappointing than the game length.

I still have my collector's edition coming and am eagerly awaiting the hell out of it, since I LOVE the series. Hopefully it will do well enough in the states that SE will continue to support the franchise.

Dominator

Picking it up tomorrow, never played a Star Ocean game before but this looks pretty cool. I hope I like it. Hearing it's not an insane length is awesome too.

Is there any rumblings of this coming to pc in like a year?
Im pretty sure I did hear rumblings...I very distinctly remember posting "Man, I already have the collectors edition ordered, but I would rather play on PC where I know they will go digital only" rather recently. Im too lazy to dig it up so you will have to search or take my word for it

So when I search for reviews on google I get a preview of Gamespot's score, but when I click on it, it says "not reviewed", but we can at least see that Gamespot didn't like it a whole lot. Not sure why yet though.

EDIT: might be going by user average, so nvm?

Glad im not hinging on reviews. This could score a 45, still picking up tomorrow. Looking forward to it.

Is there still no dlc planned for this? Sounds like it be so easy to add thing's to a shorter game for some extra $$

Jolkien

I personally prefer to not have DLC if they don't have a solid plan/story for it. I never saw a piece of DLC that was worth it in any jRPG I played.

Skulldead

Glad im not hinging on reviews. This could score a 45, still picking up tomorrow. Looking forward to it.

Is there still no dlc planned for this? Sounds like it be so easy to add thing's to a shorter game for some extra $$

Director's cut incoming !! that would be amazing.... in my dream...

I think the game Bomb a little in Japan, but yes it would be easy to add thing..

JPS Kai

We didn't receive one from S-E's PR company, despite positive press and reception with the E3 hands on.

Cornbread78

I could post this right before I went to bed (12am EST), but I wouldn't be able to update it properly until tomorrow morning. If someone will be up, they can use it and post it at midnight (EST) and/or create their own, that's fine as well.

Any takers?

dmp3Ao1.jpg

Summary: Set between the events of STAR OCEAN: The Second Story and STAR OCEAN: Till the End of Time, STAR OCEAN: Integrity and Faithlessness takes place centuries after humans have left Earth for the stars. On a planet in the distant Faykreed star system, the swordsman Fidel Camuze and his childhood friend Miki Sauvester set out to protect their village from being swallowed in the tides of civil unrest
Release Date 6/28 (NA/EU)

Now, let's take a closer look at these reviews:
k2Lx2iy.gif

-
-
-
-

Metacritic
http://www.metacritic.com/game/playstation-4/star-ocean-integrity-and-faithlessness

Opencritic:
http://opencritic.com/game/2733/star-ocean-integrity-and-faithlessness

SO5 NeoGAF OT:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1239495

ABHlv2R.jpg

Well then, now I want to replay SO4.

Truly great stuff, though maybe not in the way the devs intended.

e: Actually, maybe like a humorous let's play would be better. Thanks to R_thanatos' post above I remembered how awful some/most/all of the dungeons were in SO4

i was on that planet , after spending a lot of time on the planet i found a temple ..it was 8h33pm .
10h56pm i was wondering ..since when was my last save again ?( still in that goddam temple )

Then i decided i need to go to sleep and then i rushed to find the exit or a save point ( by avoiding ennemies )..11h35pm ..Oh crap a cutscene , i must be close !

And then more of the dongeon... i was like " this can't be " and then rushed to the next map to see that i wasn't EVEN CLOSE to the end.
I said "f**k it" and shutdown the console .

I never put SO4 into my PS3 ever again

I wish i could make this up , but i couldn't anymore..

hearing a much better paced game , a shorter game overall , while hearing all those improvements on the battle system made me go back..it's like "music to my hears"

If you're wondering why i remember the time so closely , it's because i was recording my playtrough at the time

Kyrios

Didn't get the confirmation that my copy shipped, but Toyko Mirage Sessions is winking at me and saying it's okay if my shipment is delayed a day lol

JPS Kai

How common does that happen ?

It's hard to say. Sometimes it's a sign of publisher faith in a project, other times it's something completely arbitrary.

The last time we had received the same message as S-E was from Bethesda yet we still woke up to review code showing up morning of release (we were expecting to see nothing despite the release day embargo). The sites I write for are in weird places as far as priority lists go. It could be that we aren't that high on S-E's PR list.

I could post this right before I went to bed (12am EST), but I wouldn't be able to update it properly until tomorrow morning. If someone will be up, they can use it and post it at midnight (EST) and/or create their own, that's fine as well.

Any takers?

http://i.imgur.com/dmp3Ao1.jpg?1[img]

Summary: Set between the events of STAR OCEAN: The Second Story and STAR OCEAN: Till the End of Time, STAR OCEAN: Integrity and Faithlessness takes place centuries after humans have left Earth for the stars. On a planet in the distant Faykreed star system, the swordsman Fidel Camuze and his childhood friend Miki Sauvester set out to protect their village from being swallowed in the tides of civil unrest
Release Date 6/28 (NA/EU)

Now, let's take a closer look at these reviews:
[img]http://i.imgur.com/k2Lx2iy.gif[img]

-
-
-
-

Metacritic
[url]http://www.metacritic.com/game/playstation-4/star-ocean-integrity-and-faithlessness[/url]

Opencritic:
[url]http://opencritic.com/game/2733/star-ocean-integrity-and-faithlessness[/url]

SO5 NeoGAF OT:
[url]http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1239495[/url]

[img]http://i.imgur.com/ABHlv2R.jpg?1[img][/QUOTE]

Nice. I'm available at the time, I can do it.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
I've never played a Star Ocean game and only know it about it through the silly YT scenes people post from 4 every time we have an embarrassing video game thread, what gameplay systems does it have to stand out other than the battle system mentioned in the OP?

Cornbread78

i was on that planet , after spending a lot of time on the planet i found a temple ..it was 8h33pm .
10h56pm i was wondering ..since when was my last save again ?( still in that goddam temple )

Then i decided i need to go to sleep and then i rushed to find the exit or a save point ( by avoiding ennemies )..11h35pm ..Oh crap a cutscene , i must be close !

And then more of the dongeon... i was like " this can't be " and then rushed to the next map to see that i wasn't EVEN CLOSE to the end.
I said "f**k it" and shutdown the console .

I never put SO4 into my PS3 ever again

I wish i could make this up , but i couldn't anymore..

No kidding, I played for over 3 hours one night just looking for a save point on that final level and kept getting stuck fighting those stupid Jokers. Finally at 3am (I had to wake up at 6 for work) I had to just shut the system down with out saving.

What made matters worse is that my system YLOD'd before I had a chance to go back and finish and I didn't have a back-up save because the save file was locked.... Well over 150 hours down the pisser....

Still angry to this day #%@@

Nice. I'm available at the time, I can do it.

Great thanks!

Use or delete what you want, it's all yours now, lol.

MtBk64U.gif

Pejo

Gold Member
Really want to pick this up, but I gotta be a little mindful of my game budget. With the Steam sale just happening and a few other pre-orders I had in, I probably will wait a month or two to pick it up.

Sorry if I missed it in the OP, but I have images disabled for work. Is there a collection of reviews yet besides Metacritic? I'm looking more for impressions than number reviews.

Jolkien

I've never played a Star Ocean game and only know it about it through the silly YT scenes people post from 4 every time we have an embarrassing video game thread, what gameplay systems does it have to stand out other than the battle system mentioned in the OP?

It has crafting, depending on what you played you'll like it or not. In this one you use your whole party in combat instead of making a party of 3 or 4. The whole cast consiste of 7 member, battles could get hectic.

Besides that I assume it'll be a by the book jRPG cliche,story, all of it. The question is how well it'll be executed. Star Ocean have historically always had a solid soundtrack as well. There's also a semi in-depth crafting system aswell and there's always a meaty post-game dungeon with challenging bosses, multiples difficulty level.

Really want to pick this up, but I gotta be a little mindful of my game budget. With the Steam sale just happening and a few other pre-orders I had in, I probably will wait a month or two to pick it up.

Sorry if I missed it in the OP, but I have images disabled for work. Is there a collection of reviews yet besides Metacritic? I'm looking more for impressions than number reviews.

Review will go live when the game launch, tonight at 9 PM PST / Midnight EST

Quonny

Totally expecting a 65 metacritic.

That's just how these games go. And frankly I don't care. We already have impressions, hours of videos, and even full game Let's Plays. The game will have a sub option so the voices don't really matter. Unless they totally botch the translation, which they likely won't.

Jolkien

I dont get why people waiting on reviews its not like its has been out for awhile now in Japan.

Because if they have reviewer that they prefer because they know how their taste line uip with theirs ? And there's gonna be a lot more reviews than there currently is. Can't read Japanese publications most of the time and you have random YouTubers review (which are fine but if you don't know the person, might be hesitant to spend 60$)

I myself will play no matter what, but it's easy to understand why people want review before the game launch.

Cornbread78

I dont get why people waiting on reviews its not like its has been out for awhile now in Japan.

justification? LOL.. Who knows, but it is important to some and I get it... I like reading the reviews for fun more than anything because they can be so varied.. I had already pre-ordered the game the first day it became available at GS, so I wasn't going to change my mind regardless.

In case there are some that missed it, below is the link to the import impressions thread:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1202314

Top Bottom