• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Ocean 5: Integrity and Faithlessness |OT| Once more into the undiscovered ocean

on one hand, i have so many fucking games to play across a bunch of platforms i don't really need a new game

on the other hand, i love JRPG's and want to support getting more (the next few months are looking like old times!)

i don't know... i don't know!!!

jorgeton

Put in my digital pre order so I can play at midnight tonight. My body is ready.

It's crazy I'll be playing a brand new console SO game in a few hours. Years ago it seemed like the franchise was dead or on its way to browser game hell like Breath of Fire.

based SE.

MilkBeard

Put in my digital pre order so I can play at midnight tonight. My body is ready.

It's crazy I'll be playing a brand new console SO game in a few hours. Years ago it seemed like the franchise was dead or on its way to browser game hell like Breath of Fire.

based SE.

I remember years back when Square Enix teased a mobile game that had a space theme. I was kind of giddy with the possibility of it being Star Ocean. It ended up being some browser game, but I'm pretty sure that SO5 was revealed in the same way later on.

TheFatMan

For those of you worried about your Amazon order.

I got a hold of chat support and the guy promised me 100% that it would be there Tuesday. I even saved the chat...

An hour later I got an email that my order had been upgraded to 1-day shipping (for free), and an hour after that it was preparing to ship. Looks like it will actually be here tomorrow.

So I advise complaining to a chat support!

The Dude

I'm just a big fan of the series, so I'm lookin forward to playing it. I know popular opinion was not in favor of 3 but I loved it, and I did read sole opinions that this was a bit like 3 so either way I'll be happy.

burgerdog

Game shipped from Amazon. Not sure when I'll get to it because I've been away for two months and I can finally play Uncharted 4 and that comes first.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
I'm just a big fan of the series, so I'm lookin forward to playing it. I know popular opinion was not in favor of 3 but I loved it, and I did read sole opinions that this was a bit like 3 so either way I'll be happy.

Only people who didn't like 3 are generally those not in favor of the twist. Besides that, SO3 is the best game of the franchise

Wagram

3 is one of my favorite games of all time. The twist is amazing.

Thorzilla

As someone who played the majority of SO3, own 4 but never played it and is very interested to get this one, do I need to play prior games to understand this? It looks damn good and I remember having a ball with the battle system in 3. Also, supporting JRPGs feels just right with so much effort this generation in comparison to the one gone by.

Kyrios

Hmm I'm starting to worry, it's 8:54 PM and Amazon still hasn't shipped my copy.

Amazon has been really dropping the ball since this April for me, I had 4 other screw ups so far and my copy of Star Ocean 5 shipped over 12 hours later than usual for a preorder (most of the time they ship Sunday night).

And I ironically live about 30-40 minutes away from a distribution center, so I don't know what the hell is going on.

desmax

http://selectgame.gamehall.uol.com....-and-faithlessness-com-legendas-em-portugues/

Initially it was coming on July 8th for us (physical version that is), but Saraiva mentioned PT-BR subtitles and now they moved the date for July 15th.

Rumour is that subtitles delayed the release, but nothing is confirmed right now (we don't even know if S-E translated the game as well). In any case, we gotta wait a few more days.

Oh, I remember seeing that. But I didn't knew the game would get delayed.

Oh well, it's not too big of a difference. More time for Odin Sphere for me

Inuhanyou

As someone who played the majority of SO3, own 4 but never played it and is very interested to get this one, do I need to play prior games to understand this? It looks damn good and I remember having a ball with the battle system in 3. Also, supporting JRPGs feels just right with so much effort this generation in comparison to the one gone by.

You don't have to play anything to play star ocean. Hop into one and play

Bladenic

3 is one of my favorite games of all time. The twist is amazing.

You know, the twist had a lot of potential for the whole franchise. Unfortunately, unless I'm missing something, they never bring it up or address it ever again. Meaning it was a huge wasted opportunity to do something more original than any ole RPG.

Ralemont

not me
You know, the twist had a lot of potential for the whole franchise. Unfortunately, unless I'm missing something, they never bring it up or address it ever again. Meaning it was a huge wasted opportunity to do something more original than any ole RPG.

Well the vocal portion of fans hated it, so they'd be doubling down. Not saying it's the wrong call to do so, but I doubt the writers cared THAT much about the twist to risk pissing off fans. Then they released Star Ocean 4, of course...

Jolkien

Amazon has been really dropping the ball since this April for me, I had 4 other screw ups so far and my copy of Star Ocean 5 shipped over 12 hours later than usual for a preorder (most of the time they ship Sunday night).

And I ironically live about 30-40 minutes away from a distribution center, so I don't know what the hell is going on.

Phew it just shipped ;)

Inuhanyou

Was the twist
that it turns out everything was a video game or something?

Don't really remember too much.

Can't wait to play tonight!

Yeah.

People were/are pissed because of the implications that has for the rest of the games, but i don't think the writers cared about that in general. They had a story they wanted to tell and didn't really see any reason to conform to the rest of the franchise when doing it.

Zetta

I'm 15 hours in and loving every minute of it. This Welch is probably one of my favorites, going to go for the platinum since thankfully it's not as tedious as SO4.

nemisis0

Oh so they dropped the insane battle trophies grind from SO4 ?

I checked the trophies for the game and it does not look like they dropped them :(

Edit: just found someone who platinumed the game and said they are extremely easy compared to 4,that's a good thing I guess.

MilkBeard

That's because there was too much backlash. I'm pretty sure it was meant to be the end of the series anyway. That's why everything else is prequels.

Still, would be cool to see what happens after. I mean, it's kind of getting into
Matrix
territories.

Wagram

I checked the trophies for the game and it does not look like they dropped them :(

Edit: just found someone who platinumed the game and said they are extremely easy compared to 4,that's a good thing I guess.

Star Ocean 4 had an insanely obnoxious Platinum though. This is a good thing.

Seik

Banned
My copy shipped!!! :D

*Leaving to vacations for a whole week in two days*

Oh well...it'll be there when I'll be back! :lol

ViciousDS

Banned
Only people who didn't like 3 are generally those not in favor of the twist. Besides that, SO3 is the best game of the franchise

Till the end of time was so well done on all aspects. Tons of marketing I remember seeing so many commercials for the game and it even had me interested into playing it. Was my first foray into the SO universe and it truly was amazing.

Amazon finally shipped my copy with delivery date of Tues. The strategy guide, not so much. Says delivery date of tomorrow but hasn't shipped. Sprung for "next day air" so whenever it shows up I'll take some pics, since I haven't been able to find much about it online.

bomblord1

Banned
Yeah.

People were/are pissed because of the implications that has for the rest of the games, but i don't think the writers cared about that in general. They had a story they wanted to tell and didn't really see any reason to conform to the rest of the franchise when doing it.

Apparently through some kind of something or other possibly related to the ending of 3 it has been implied that 4 and 5 don't take places in a universe where that twist is still true.

Inuhanyou

Till the end of time was so well done on all aspects. Tons of marketing I remember seeing so many commercials for the game and it even had me interested into playing it. Was my first foray into the SO universe and it truly was amazing.

Oh yeah. I hope SE puts it on PS4 in the classics section one day, i'd buy it

You know it. Loved SO3 (and the twist). Game is epic and has characters that remind me of Zillion from Sega Mastersystem, loved that style. Game made me such a massive fan, even if 4 'kay came after.

Inuhanyou

You know it. Loved SO3 (and the twist). Game is epic and has characters that remind me of Zillion from Sega Mastersystem, loved that style. Game made me such a massive fan, even if 4 'kay came after.

Yeah...loved the characters, english dub was actually pretty decent and dat Nel.

Also, i just loved the concept of super futuristic Fayt and gang crashlanding on some backwater medieval era planet and scaring the fuck out of all of the fantasy townspeople that would come from your traditional JRPG.

Top Bottom