• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Ocean 5 screens (Now in "HD"!)

grumble

One or two of those pictures make it a hard sell for me. I'm facing a real issue with a lot of these games because the character designs and dialogue make me look like a creep if I play them when people are around. That's too bad because I love these games, but they really aren't designed for mass market appeal.

koutoru

l_552ceb5bedb16.jpg

I get the impression that her eyes are just a little to far apart.

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
One or two of those pictures make it a hard sell for me. I'm facing a real issue with a lot of these games because the character designs and dialogue make me look like a creep if I play them when people are around. That's too bad because I love these games, but they really aren't designed for mass market appeal.
And that bothers you?

Thoraxes

Girl's design almost reminds me of someone trying to poorly imitate Umetsu character designs.

The art looks fantastic though, the in-game model needs some work to live up to it.

l_552ceb5bedb16.jpg

I get the impression that her eyes are just a little to far apart.

Her nose needs to be more defined, because otherwise it just looks like there's nothing but skin between her eyes and mouth. And you're right, her eyes are too far apart. She's just a pretty badly designed character in general, and too reminiscent of the porcelain faces from the previous game.

The main guy looks fine though.

Dark_castle

Even her clothing isn't really in the category though, just her face. (And everyone's face in XBX looks funky.)

And her nose is too low. She looks like a muppet. (circa The Dark Crystal.)

If you want to extend the design part to clothing, what the girl in SO5 wears is also fairly reserved and armor-ish, but that doesn't make her look any less kawaii uguu, does it?

Heartfyre

Environments look really, really nice. Everyone's pointing out the derpy face, but I'm focused on the cobblestones underneath. Looks so good.

We really had a dearth of impressive RPG environments last generation. I'm glad we're getting our fill so far.

Blackage

Character models has not been this series' strong point since it moved to 3D. It hasn't actually changed the style or anything, it just doesn't translate all that well to 3D models for some reason(that or the developers are just lazy about trying).

so2-2.jpg

bonercop

ugh i don't understand why star ocean keeps trying to go for the "realistic anime" look. it's terrifying.

Character models has not been this series' strong point since it moved to 3D. It hasn't actually changed the style or anything, it just doesn't translate all that well to 3D models for some reason(that or the developers are just lazy about trying).

so2-2.jpg

it's because they don't even attempt to adapt the models to the artstyle, so they end up looking like the result of a mod of a western action game.

Kyougar

Always liked Willbell from the Atelier Characters.

The green hair woman gives the same vibe

AUUGyL5.png
Atelier-Escha-and-Logy_04-14.jpg

The Pink haired girl looks creepy and uncanny, like these real life anime masks And the real life mask has more Emotions!

this is SO4:
star-ocean-4-creative-technical.jpg

So, is there some kind of unwritten rule that SO can't have good character design? Just because you have an anime style doesn't mean that they have to look like aliens.

so badly designed characters - is staple of series? maybe its time to change it, no?

there seems to be at least some kind of unwritten rule with the developers as you can see :p

and the developers certainly don't see these characters as "badly designed", else they wouldn't be in the game

and as a tri-ace fan myself
an star ocean to a degree
i can say that these char designs don't disturb me in the slightest because I'm used to them. Star Ocean is what it is.

so2-2.jpg

I think it's more a case of, the more 'realistic' approach to the visuals they go for clashes quite a bit with the extremely anime like style of the character designs. In Final Fantasy, it works, but I think for Star Ocean, similar to Tales, some form of Cel-Shading would work far better.

Looks good! And I guess since Xenoblade is almost out, this is going to be the new game where people constantly birth about the faces.

Vitanimus

I don't get this reaction to the character design... they look pretty fine for a star ocean game? drill witch looks ridiculous in the best possible way. SO4 had terrible character design.

Ploid 3.0

Looks like Star Ocean 2 art style.

I'll be going from this
NAYetHT.jpg

fxo8qgt.jpg

to this.
l_552ceb6d71c790pxbu.jpg

I'm excited to get back into a real time battle rpg. What is the name of it's rpg style anyway? I remember in SO2 having the option to pick at the start if you wanted some type of pause between attacks or something, but I never picked it and forgot how that went.

If you want to extend the design part to clothing, what the girl in SO5 wears is also fairly reserved and armor-ish, but that doesn't make her look any less kawaii uguu, does it?
It's relatively tame by today's standards, but what makes her stick out more is her face in comparison to the other characters, mainly the protagonist. Her face is just weird. If they altered it a bit she's look just fine IMO.

And as I said in Lynlee's case, everyone in Xenoblade has a weird doll face. (Though I find them endearing now.)

I really like the character designs, specially the MC's

Heroine is kinda growing on me, she doesn't look half bad outside of scan quality screens. It's like a 3D Akihiko Yoshida character!

jurec84

Unconfirmed Member
I'm excited! It's a JRPG for my PS4 so who wouldn't be :) They just need to include japanese voices and I'm ready :D

I don't get this reaction to the character design... they look pretty fine for a star ocean game? drill witch looks ridiculous in the best possible way. SO4 had terrible character design.

FF13 looked good compared to SO4. It isn't something you would use for a comparison.

Syril

I'm excited to get back into a real time battle rpg. What is the name of it's rpg style anyway? I remember in SO2 having the option to pick at the start if you wanted some type of pause between attacks or something, but I never picked it and forgot how that went.
It didn't really amount to much. The Manual setting was done to work like the original SNES Star Ocean where every time you hit Attack you had to pick your target, but the game didn't pause for it either. Semi Auto was the same except it defaulted to the enemy you were closest to. Full Auto made it so that you didn't have to press X twice for every attack, so I always used that. There were only a few truly long range attacks in the whole game that weren't spells, and I think you could change your target manually even in Full Auto mode.

Dinda

Damn i'm really looking forwaed to this and am glad they are doing a new Star Ocean, but those designs, especially the females, look awful.

Top Bottom