• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Ocean and Valkyrie Profile producer Yoshinori Yamagishi leaves Square Enix

Star Ocean and Valkyrie Profile series producer Yoshinori Yamagishi has left Square Enix, the developer announced on Twitter.

“It’s sudden, but I’ve resigned from Square Enix as of March 31,” Yamagishi said in a tweet. “Therefore, I’ve also retired as producer of Valkyrie Anatomia. I hope to make a new game at a another company in the future, so please remember me again when that time comes. It’s an announcement on April 1 so… whether or not you believe it is up to you.”

During his time at Square Enix, Yamagichi was the producer of every title in the Star Ocean series, excluding Star Ocean: Integrity and Faithlessness and the smartphone game Star Ocean: Anamnesis, the producer of every Valkyrie Project game, a,dnt he producer on a variety of other titles including Grandia Extreme, Radiata Stories, Soul Eater: Monotone Princess, MindJack, and Shinsei no Grand Union.

http://gematsu.com/2017/04/star-ocean-valkyrie-profile-producer-yoshinori-yamagishi-leaves-square-enix

Wagram

The best games from Square-Enix these days are coming from other development studios. It's a shame. Hope he finds success elsewhere.

poncle

April 1st is also the beginning of the new business year in Japan, so this makes sense.

I'm not sure how to feel about the news, love the Star Ocean and Valkyrie Profile IPs, but SquareEnix has been awful with them lately.

Will definitely keep an eye on whatever he'll be doing next

Pancake Mix

Copied someone else's pancake recipe
SO5 was a disaster right?

In terms of sales? Probably.

It didn't get good reviews, but it also didn't get terrible reviews. The game was short, but it was decent, a prettier, but shorter Tales of essentially.

Wasn't a disaster in terms of gameplay and I'm glad that Square Enix funded it in the first place. It looked like Star Ocean was done on consoles until then, and it may be now, but at least Square Enix gave it one more shot.

Pooya

SO5 was probably the last chance for the series which they missed all marks with.

The fact it happened at all was surprising. This is probably the end for se/tri-ace IPs. rip

SkylineRKR

SO5 was unfathomable crap and I beat the entire thing. Comparing it to Tales is selling that series short, even Zestiria is better.

It's already explained in the Gematsu story but once again, Yoshinori Yamagishi did not produce Star Ocean V. It was Shûichi Kobayashi, who hinted several times at Star Ocean 6. In fact, he did it again very recently.

Datschge

Shuichi Kobayashi also produces Star Ocean: Anamnesis. Yoshinori Yamagishi hasn't been involved with tri-Ace for over 7 years now.

Maybe he wanted to make something like VP on consoles, but SE would only let him make it on mobile or something, so he decided to leave after his contract was up.

Obviously speculation on my part.

SOLDIER

Tri Ace stopped being a B-tier studio long ago. In the end they probably turned out more misses than hits.

You know something is up when Compile Heart puts out more quality RPGs this generation. I say gut Tri Ace, give Yoko Taro more money.

It's sad and I hope he lands on his feet but...

It's already explained in the Gematsu story but once again, Yoshinori Yamagishi did not produce Star Ocean V. It was Shûichi Kobayashi, who hinted several times at Star Ocean 6. In fact, he did it again very recently.

Shuichi Kobayashi also produces Star Ocean: Anamnesis. Yoshinori Yamagishi hasn't been involved with tri-Ace for over 7 years now.

As mentioned this probably in itself won't have any impact on future entries in the series. I think the dream is dead though. I remember Kobayashi saying he had a proposal for Valkyrie Profile 3 on his laptop, but given the budget issues and likely not-amazing worldwide sales for SO5... :/

Wagram

Star Ocean VI doesn't deserve to exist if they plan on making it in the vein of V. The cut-scene direction and combat is just painful.

Xero

It didn't get good reviews, but it also didn't get terrible reviews. The game was short, but it was decent, a prettier, but shorter Tales of essentially.

Wasn't a disaster in terms of gameplay and I'm glad that Square Enix funded it in the first place. It looked like Star Ocean was done on consoles until then, and it may be now, but at least Square Enix gave it one more shot.

the tales games need to learn the shorter rule anyways. Games are usually too damn long.

As mentioned this probably in itself won't have any impact on future entries in the series. I think the dream is dead though. I remember Kobayashi saying he had a proposal for Valkyrie Profile 3 on his laptop, but given the budget issues and likely not-amazing worldwide sales for SO5... :/

Didn't this become LR:FFXIII?

Banned

Star Ocean 5 is fucking hot garbage. I want my $39.99 Canadian back.

Square is losing talent but at least that means some fresh new blood should be coming in. Right?

NolbertoS

SE has already had talent leave eons ago, Sakagushi, Uematsu, Amano, and i think most of the Chrono Trigger team. If Yuji Horii leaves, then SE is truly a sinking ship. They're just relying on their history and nostalgia at this point.

SE has already had talent leave eons ago, Sakagushi, Uematsu, Amano, and i think most of the Chrono Trigger team. If Yuji Horii leaves, then SE is truly a sinking ship. They're just relying on their history and nostalgia at this point.

Amano and Horii were never part of SE (or Square or Enix) though. They've always been freelancers.

zeelman

Tri Ace stopped being a B-tier studio long ago. In the end they probably turned out more misses than hits.

You know something is up when Compile Heart puts out more quality RPGs this generation. I say gut Tri Ace, give Yoko Taro more money.

Tri Ace isn't owned by SE.

Pancake Mix

Copied someone else's pancake recipe
Well yeah Square on the whole has become a joke.

....what?

FFXV was pretty good, despite the wait and Nier: Automata is apparently amazing if that's your thing, though perhaps it's not and it's not mine either.

That stuff is just the last few months....and I'm not even including Rise of the Tomb Raider PS4, which was relevant for me and yet more goodness after TR2013, though perhaps it wasn't quite that amazing.

In the past two years Square Enix has released a lot of goodness I haven't listed, it's been something of a resurgence.

SO5 was really average.... but with a real cut scenes it would have ended up MUCH better experience for me.

Still, I enjoyed all the 3D SO games even with stupid storylines... but there's something in them was really appealing to me.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
I hope another console RPG team pick him up. He's given me some of my favorite game experiences ever.

Top Bottom