• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Rail developer interview: PS5

LordOfChaos

I really didn't enjoy Genshin Impact and wondered what everyone else was getting out of it, but I'm still really enjoying Star Rail. The gatcha stuff mostly stays out of the way and I've been completely free to play and cleared the last major boss out so far. The artwork and music and lore all seem like a refreshing change from western and even Japanese devs. I'm excited to see more out of China and India.

It does start overheating and dimming the display and then throttling even on the latest iPhones (metalfx upscaling patch should help though), so switching to PS5 will be cool.

Last edited:
It's not perfect, but even the shittiest combat mechanics in any game is much better than turn-based shit. Would rather play chess.
I'm in the same boat. My interest would be there with more action oriented gameplay. Just can't do it anymore with turn based combat no matter how good the overall game is.

LordOfChaos

I'm in the same boat. My interest would be there with more action oriented gameplay. Just can't do it anymore with turn based combat no matter how good the overall game is.

I know this might be considered a silly way to play a game, but the random mook fights do have fast forward and auto-fight buttons, most of the low level stuff I just let auto play. It only forces you to play the major ones like bosses and story parts.

I know this might be considered a silly way to play a game, but the random mook fights do have fast forward and auto-fight buttons, most of the low level stuff I just let auto play. It only forces you to play the major ones like bosses and story parts.
If nothing else it's nice to have the option to do so.

Mossybrew

A game has to be really special for me to tolerate turn based combat (BG3 for example) but I might check this out at some point since it's free. I tired of Genshin just due to the massive material farming you had to do, hopefully this game doesn't have that kind of drudgery.

LordOfChaos

A game has to be really special for me to tolerate turn based combat (BG3 for example) but I might check this out at some point since it's free. I tired of Genshin just due to the massive material farming you had to do, hopefully this game doesn't have that kind of drudgery.

I don't like the grind either, there was a bit of materials hunting but nothing so far, I cleared all major bosses that were out without paying for anything and with minimal farming. If I need to fight a thing for a daily I just let it auto play and fast forward while I'm doing something else.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Thought I wouldn't like it either and I didn't like their last game, but the gacha stuff hasn't bothered me and I cleared the last boss fully free
I dont play F2P online gacha games, once they decided to make proper SP game then I will gladly give it a try but until then I have no interest.

Spyxos

I played Genshin Impact for only an hour and honestly I don't know what this gatcha mechanic is at all. I imagine it as a Slotmachine where you can probably win the characters with low

probability? This Star Rail looks interesting and I would like to try it out.

LordOfChaos

I played Genshin Impact for only an hour and honestly I don't know what this gatcha mechanic is at all. I imagine it as a Slotmachine where you can probably win the characters with low

probability? This Star Rail looks interesting and I would like to try it out.

I was already done the last boss in Star Rail before I started using the (freely provided) warp passes for new characters/swag. It's entirely possible and enjoyable with not that much grinding to finish what it has so far with no payments to the slot machine.

I do think it would be even better as like a 15 dollar mobile game without any of the gatcha stuff or stuff that holds you back a bit so you either pay or level, but again it was very very minimal, and they're raking in way more money this way, the cash cows are paying for the rest of us. Some games you pay for have far more grinding (Destiny etc)

Last edited:

STARSBarry

Gold Member
Here's an image to demonstrate the core main mechanic for the game to save you some time.

ubpcp4A.gif

Honestly just buy an actual game, at least it won't be designed by a team of data scientists from the ground up to annoy you.

Last edited:

Reallink

I really didn't enjoy Genshin Impact and wondered what everyone else was getting out of it, but I'm still really enjoying Star Rail. The gatcha stuff mostly stays out of the way and I've been completely free to play and cleared the last major boss out so far. The artwork and music and lore all seem like a refreshing change from western and even Japanese devs. I'm excited to see more out of China and India.

It does start overheating and dimming the display and then throttling even on the latest iPhones (metalfx upscaling patch should help though), so switching to PS5 will be cool.

China has been making the majority of Western and JP titles since the PS360 era, their asset farms have comprised 90% of the credits for decades.

Kusarigama

Ok I hope you and this game burn in it, take it.:messenger_pouting: I was hoping that this would be action RPG like Genshin which is an amazing game when I played it back then, but no they have to use 40yrs old mechanics. Turn-based games are mirror of lazy devs you can't deal with the variants of open fights.
Woah! Easy Bo_Hazem, you clearly have not played any Persona games.

It's going to be free to play on PS5 too right? Can only see a paid version on the store at the moment. Probably won't play it much anyway. Already checked out the PC version and yea not a fan of gacha games.

Aenima

It's going to be free to play on PS5 too right? Can only see a paid version on the store at the moment. Probably won't play it much anyway. Already checked out the PC version and yea not a fan of gacha games.
Yes. Right now they only have the pre-order pack on the store that contain in-game items and currency. The F2P version will probably be available during the pre-load time or day 1.

Yes, the F2P version will be available to download in the day of the release, October 11, since you can't preorder a F2P game on PS5; till then it's just that preorder pack with some goodies to get you started on your journey.

Last edited:

LordOfChaos

China has been making the majority of Western and JP titles since the PS360 era, their asset farms have comprised 90% of the credits for decades.

That's interesting, but I mean now we're seeing more games fully developed in new regions which is nice to see

Reactions: Isa
Top Bottom