• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Rail, and iPhone gaming/cooling

LordOfChaos

I know there's a lot of default hate for gacha games, totally get it, I didn't actually like Genshin Impact as there was too much grind to get a story out of it. But level 24 in, Star Rail has been vastly better. The turn based combat is more engaging to me than the floaty controls of Genshin, and so far none of the gacha stuff has bugged me to buy anything at all, just doing a few minutes of daily quests a day is enough to keep levelling and going in the story.

Anyways, I just went from an iPhone XS Max to a 13 Pro, and while it performs better, I was disappointed that a four generation jump in iPhones still comes with very quick onset display dimming while gaming, and every 10 minutes or so there's a minute of chunking framerate instead of just finding a steady state of performance below the peak. The XS I played on low at 60 to avoid chunky framerates, the 13 Pro I can do high with a few things like lights and blooms turned back to medium, but it does have those big periods of throttling every now and again. Yesterday I was out in the car getting my tires changed and the display dimmed to almost not wanting to use it.

I'm curious if the 14/14 Pro are much better about this with the improved thermal layout and graphite sheet? The 7 month old Max Tech test on Genshin showed it still display dimming, alas. I do hope the 15 Pro has the vapor chamber and better cooling performance it was rumored they were working on but never came about. This 13 Pro may still go back, if my XS Max can be repaired I'll just limp along till September.

Go ahead and post any impressions of Star Rail performance by iPhone or iPad model, or Android phone model.

Top Bottom