• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Trek: Discovery gets September 24th premiere date, season split into 2 parts

Link.

After being delayed twice, Star Trek: Discovery finally has a premiere date: Sept. 24.

CBS announced the premiere date today, confirming that the second episode would be made available directly after the premiere finished through the network’s stand-alone streaming app, CBS All Access. The show's premiere will be the only episode to air on CBS proper; the rest of the episodes will stream via All Access. Those outside of the United States and Canada will be able to watch Discovery through Netflix.

CBS also confirmed that the 15-episode season will be broken up by a traditional mid-season hiatus. The first half of the season will run from Sept. 24 through Nov. 5. The second half will return in January 2018.

Star Trek: Discovery was supposed to debut at the beginning of the year, but was pushed back to May after producers cited issues with both the script and visual effects. It was then delayed again because of script changes and on-going casting problems.

Star Trek: Discovery will premiere at 8:30 p.m. ET on Sept. 24. Make sure to mark it on your calendars!

GavinUK86

CBS App only? That's a giant slap in the face for people in the US. Netflix everywhere else is good news though.

hahahaha, our streaming only show will still have a holiday hiatus where you won't get new episodes for 10 weeks, even though the FIRST thing people think about when you say online streaming is BINGE WATCHING.

QEJ3o17.jpg

Shoeless

I hope that Netflix deal applies to Canada as well, since that would be the easiest way to watch it here, but I suspect that Canada will cut a separate deal for broadcasting it here.

JeffZero

Purple Drazi
Folks, this is the first premiere date for a new Star Trek TV series since September 2001.

To call me excited would be an understatement.

Maybe they're airing a Big Bang Theory episode as a lead in, they had a few Star Trek themed ones and BBT repeats do still get good ratings, right?

Having Big Bang lead in makes a huge amount of sense. I bet it's that. It could be 90 minutes as well.

Maybe they're airing a Big Bang Theory episode as a lead in, they had a few Star Trek themed ones and BBT repeats do still get good ratings, right?

its airing after the 90 minute season premiere of 60 minutes (a paradox itself), which is the hot go to show for millennials after all.

There are also a few scheduled NFL games that night, on NBC, CBS and Fox so if any of the games go overtime who knows whats going to happen.

Some more info on air night and what it'll be available on in canada (netflix everywhere else)
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/star-trek-discovery-premiere-date-1014649

its airing after the 90 minute season premiere of 60 minutes (a paradox itself), which is the hot go to show for millennials after all.

There are also a few scheduled NFL games that night, on CBS and Fox so if any of the games go overtime who knows whats going to happen.

Oh FFS.

This is some ass WWE booking.

CBS App only? That's a giant slap in the face for people in the US. Netflix everywhere else is good news though.

Have you been living under a rock or something? This was going to be exclusive to CBS All Access from the day it was announced more than a year and a half ago.

TDLink

This entire CBS all access thing is so misguided. It's a failed experiment everyone can see coming a mile away.

Are they not aware that most Star Trek fans are, you know, nerds? What is going to prevent many of them from just using a VPN to watch this on netflix?

Moreover, why even premiere the first episode on proper CBS if the rest of the series won't air there?

Also, if it's a show on a streaming service...why is there a mid-season break?! People like streaming services because they can binge it all at once, but barring that at least release it weekly like what Hulu has been doing. Airing it exactly like a network TV show, but on the Internet, is so archaic that it completely nullifies the point of putting it on a streaming service.

It makes no sense.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
This entire CBS all access thing is so misguided. It's a failed experiment everyone can see coming a mile away.

Are they not aware that most Star Trek fans are, you know, nerds? What is going to prevent many of them from just using a VPN to watch this on netflix?

Moreover, why even premiere the first episode on proper CBS if the rest of the series won't air there?

Also, if it's a show on a streaming service...why is there a mid-season break?! People like streaming services because they can binge it all at once, but barring that at least release it weekly like what Hulu has been doing. Airing it exactly like a network TV show, but on the Internet, is so archaic that it completely nullifies the point of putting it on a streaming service.

It makes no sense.
The break is probably because of production issues. Otherwise the whole thing would have probably come out in 2018... which might make sense, but of course, they have nothing else and given that the show is already half a year late, they probably couldn't drag it out any further.

TVGAF would know more than me, but the fact that they renewed The Good Fight presumably means that the service is hitting whatever metrics they need it to hit. One assumes this just has to draw enough attention to do the same thing until S2 of The Good Fight comes back (or whatever exclusive show they have in the wings).

I'm still thinking that the Seth McFarlane Star Trek show will end up being the better show this season... even if it's going to be cancelled so fast that even Firefly fans will look on it in pity. lol

JeffZero

Purple Drazi
They just want eyeballs on the premiere, hence the broadcast scheduling. They did the same thing with The Good Fight, which, for the record, delivered fairly abysmal premiere ratings. With a slot like this one, I expect Discovery not to fare much better. But The Good Fight got renewed anyway, so... yeah, the metrics are probably doing OK. Well, that and CBS is genuinely committed to making this work somehow if at all possible so they don't want to cancel anything yet.

Either way, it honestly bodes well for Discovery lasting at least three years, lol.

antibolo

Banned
So do we know exactly how it's going to work in Canada? Will Bell also put it up on CraveTV as it airs or are they being assholes and making it exclusive to that fucking cable TV channel of theirs?

jstripes

Banned
I hope that Netflix deal applies to Canada as well, since that would be the easiest way to watch it here, but I suspect that Canada will cut a separate deal for broadcasting it here.
So do we know exactly how it's going to work in Canada? Will Bell also put it up on CraveTV as it airs or are they being assholes and making it exclusive to that fucking cable TV channel of theirs?

It's on Space and CraveTV in Canada.

TDLink

I definitely believe The Good Fight was renewed entirely because CBS wants to make this work rather than whatever metrics they have.

That bodes well for this Star Trek show too, sure. But the entire "Selling point" of this service are these two shows...which are aiming for very different audiences. CBS is trying to have their own Netflix and not at all understanding why people like it.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
They just want eyeballs on the premiere, hence the broadcast scheduling. They did the same thing with The Good Fight, which, for the record, delivered fairly abysmal premiere ratings. With a slot like this one, I expect Discovery not to fare much better. But The Good Fight got renewed anyway, so... yeah, the metrics are probably doing OK. Well, that and CBS is genuinely committed to making this work somehow if at all possible so they don't want to cancel anything yet.

Either way, it honestly bodes well for Discovery lasting at least three years, lol.
I figure the show will last as long as CBS execs want to keep All Access afloat before they give up and dump their back catalogue on Hulu or Netflix. lol

They splitting the season for a stream network show? lol all hail King Netflix...

Netflix also did this for The Get Down.

The break is probably because of production issues. Otherwise the whole thing would have probably come out in 2018... which might make sense, but of course, they have nothing else and given that the show is already half a year late, they probably couldn't drag it out any further.

TVGAF would know more than me, but the fact that they renewed The Good Fight presumably means that the service is hitting whatever metrics they need it to hit. One assumes this just has to draw enough attention to do the same thing until S2 of The Good Fight comes back (or whatever exclusive show they have in the wings).

I'm still thinking that the Seth McFarlane Star Trek show will end up being the better show this season... even if it's going to be cancelled so fast that even Firefly fans will look on it in pity. lol

I don't think what CBS is trying to do is that stupid, and I get it, but I also think they need to start announcing other shows for the network.

Also from the look of the Discovery trailer, this thing is very VFX heavy, and VFX takes... a while. There doesn't seem to be any more production problems (and everything on this show seems obsessively reported and we'd probably know if there was something), so my guess is that the Deadline article is right and this is mostly a post thing.

JeffZero

Purple Drazi
I figure the show will last as long as CBS execs want to keep All Access afloat before they give up and dump their back catalogue on Hulu or Netflix. lol

Haha, maybe. Probably.

Perhaps it'll limp on if it's successful on Netflix internationally.

Which also had production problems.

Sure, but I edited my post to respond to yours. The Get Down wasn't a VFX heavy show, I sort of get it for this one. Like with Terra Nova, which had to know almost as soon as it premiered if it was getting a back 9 (or a season 2) because of the production issues with the VFX for the dinosaurs. Given what we've seen of the scope of the show from the pilot trailer, I'm not too surprised that there are post problems.

I think The Get Down also shut down a few times? Which I don't think has happened here.

Cheebo

Banned
Haha, maybe. Probably.

Perhaps it'll limp on if it's successful on Netflix internationally.

The show is already profitable based purely off the Netflix international deal according to CBS. Netflix paid more than it costs CBS to produce and market it for the international rights.

Splitting a mini series into 2 parts.

LOL.

The business around this show sure has been working hard to make it fail. I hope its good. I really, REALLY do.

JeffZero

Purple Drazi
The show is already profitable based purely off the Netflix international deal according to CBS. Netflix paid more than it costs CBS to produce and market it for the international rights.

Right, I understand that. But whether it becomes a genuinely hot commodity -- and thus, provides sustained profitability -- hinges on whether or not it is successful in viewership and critical response going forward.

Hmm, I hadn't thought about that. I guess I might have to watch the episodes on my Chromebook, plugged into the TV via HDMI. Not quite optimal. Ah, well.

It is on the Firestick if you have one. That's literally the only device (meant for a TV) I have that has access to it.

Wait, CBS isn't running the show on the main Network after the premiere? WTF, are they sending it out to die?
It's their new thing with some shows.

They did it with The Good Fight (the Good Wife spinoff), and apparently it did well enough for them that it got renewed, so I'm hoping the same thing will happen to Star Trek (assuming the show is good of course).

On the plus side and it's only a monthly subscription, so I'll just end up canceling once the hiatus starts and renew it once it's back on.

Top Bottom