• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Trek: Discovery gets September 24th premiere date, season split into 2 parts

shira

It does not. It's on some tv channel in Canada I think.

hKL7Fwr.jpg

it feels like they got together and said "what can we do to kill the chances of a Star Trek TV show once and for all"

this ABC streaming only in the US is a joke.

hahahaha, our streaming only show will still have a holiday hiatus where you won't get new episodes for 10 weeks, even though the FIRST thing people think about when you say online streaming is BINGE WATCHING.

QEJ3o17.jpg

Eh, it's still 15 episodes, so plenty of content. It's like not it's unheard for a streaming service on big and expensive projects, ie The Ranch and The Get Down on Netflix

http://ew.com/tv/2017/06/19/star-trek-discovery-explains/

What was behind the long wait for Star Trek: Discovery?

There were a few factors that pushed the show’s originally announced debut by seven months — including waiting for star Sonequa Martin-Green to become available from her Walking Dead commitments. But a big issue was the sheer challenge of world-building a new sci-fi series to everybody’s satisfaction, showrunners Aaron Harberts and Gretchen J. Berg exclusively told EW.

“There’s is so much artistry and custom craftsmanship that go into every prop, every costume, every set,” Harberts explained. “These things have to be designed and manufactured. We flew a costume designer to Switzerland to pick up the fabric for the Starfleet uniforms. Several items on our uniforms are 3D printed. Some of our sets can take over six weeks to make. CBS has given us the time and the money to make something the fans will find worthwhile.”

Added Berg: “You can’t cut corners or have 95 percent of what’s on screen be completely original and inspired and then have five percent something you bought at a store. It has to be cohesive — and it is. I’m so proud of what’s on screen, it’s so beautiful and it’s taking world-building to a whole new level.”

For instance: The bridge of the U.S.S. Discovery. Trek fans think they already know what it looks like from the trailer. But that’s not it — the trailer shows the bridge of the U.S.S. Shenzhou — an entirely different (and older) ship than the Discovery that the production also had to build. The actual Discovery bridge has yet to be revealed…

Earlier Monday, CBS announced Star Trek: Discovery will debut Sunday, Sept. 24 (first on CBS, then shifting to CBS All Access streaming service). EW has more scoop to come, follow @jameshibberd for more.

antonz

Profitability of the first season is only 1 metric of many that will determine its future. Netflix cares about viewers and have even recently stated they are going to need to get a lot more aggressive in cancelling stuff and creating new stuff than they have traditionally been.

Profitability of the first season is only 1 metric of many that will determine its future. Netflix cares about viewers and have even recently stated they are going to need to get a lot more aggressive in cancelling stuff and creating new stuff than they have traditionally been.

I'm going to go on a limb and say this show is going to do better than Marco Polo and Sense8.

Shoeless

I'm going to go on a limb and say this show is going to do better than Marco Polo and Sense8.

I hope JMS gets a chance to work on something else. I actually enjoyed Sense8 and what he and the Wachowskis were doing with it, but I wouldn't say no to giving him more traditional science fiction to write again. Maybe Netflix will give him the cash to reboot Captain Power & The Soldiers Of The Future.

antibolo

Banned
I have the feeling that this show is going to implode on its own budget. Looking at the trailer it looks very expensive for a TV show. This could hurt its profitability and make it more likely to get cancelled prematurely.

And as a Star Trek fan I kinda wish they'd just make it look like previous shows, I don't need all this fancy JJ Trek looking crap.

Falchion

My dad is going to be so pissed that he can't watch this on TV. His internet isn't good enough to stream so I'll probably have to wait and buy him the physical Blu Ray when it comes out.

Cheebo

Banned
My dad is going to be so pissed that he can't watch this on TV. His internet isn't good enough to stream so I'll probably have to wait and buy him the physical Blu Ray when it comes out.

If. Streaming only shows do not have a good history of physical releases, even for geek oriented shows.

According to the store page for the CBS app it works on Xbox One.

link

I have not tried it myself though.

App page also says PS4 is supported.

$5.99 a month! I knew this was a subscription thing, but I thought it would be $10 a year or something. Who pays $72 a year for something as shitty as CBS? They don't have anything even worth DVR'ing right now. I did like Limitless when I watched it on Netflix, and when I went to set up a recording for future seasons...I found out it was already canceled.

So, I did some searching and apparently of this time last year CBS All Access had about 1 million subscribers

https://www.theverge.com/2016/7/28/12318188/cbs-all-access-showtime-ott-subscribers-2-million

Seems like they haven't released updated numbers since then, at least not that I could find, but that's a lot more than I would expect (I mean, it's cheap at only $6 a month, but you have ads, and you didn't even have full episodes of big shows). I can imagine it's grown since that point. Definitely seems like they're basically doing what they did with UPN back in the day and using Star Trek to launch the service. Well, I mean, the service is already there, but to take it to the next level anyway.

hahahaha, our streaming only show will still have a holiday hiatus where you won't get new episodes for 10 weeks, even though the FIRST thing people think about when you say online streaming is BINGE WATCHING.

QEJ3o17.jpg

It was never a binge watching show though

It was one episode a week anyway

Lagamorph

God I hate this American mid-season break shite.
It even bled into UK shows for a little while but studios fortunately regained their senses and realised how utterly moronic it is.

$5.99 a month! I knew this was a subscription thing, but I thought it would be $10 a year or something. Who pays $72 a year for something as shitty as CBS? They don't have anything even worth DVR'ing right now. I did like Limitless when I watched it on Netflix, and when I went to set up a recording for future seasons...I found out it was already canceled.

The crazy thing is that 1) it still has ads, 2) it doesn't even full seasons of the lot of the popular shows like Late Show, Big Bang Theory, etc. and 3) you can still access the website free and get new episodes of those shows, though I expect that will probably be phased out at some point like Hulu did.

But people are subbing it, so there's that, I reckon.

Weevilone

Well on a positive note, I just realized I'll be able to watch this.

I have my mom on my iTunes family share so she can watch all my stuff, and so I pay for whatever she wants to rent/buy.

Just realized I'm paying for her CBS All Access sub already. Hopefully that means I can use it too.

It has entire series runs of shows like Cheers, Family Ties, Frazier, Twin Peaks, Twilight Zone, etc. Like over 8,000 episodes. Not my cup of tea, but it isn't just CBS, not by a long shot.

Novocaine

Happy I'll be able to watch this on Netflix. I was worried I'd need to jump through some bullshit hoops as is the norm when trying to get day and date overseas television content in Australia.

It has entire series runs of shows like Cheers, Family Ties, Frazier, Twin Peaks, Twilight Zone, etc. Like over 8,000 episodes. Not my cup of tea, but it isn't just CBS, not by a long shot.

You can find all of that on other streaming services, though. I think every one of those, except with the exception of Family Ties, you can find on Netflix or Hulu (in some cases on both, like Fraiser). But they may just be waiting for the rights to expire and keep them on all All Access in the future.

So, I did some searching and apparently of this time last year CBS All Access had about 1 million subscribers

https://www.theverge.com/2016/7/28/12318188/cbs-all-access-showtime-ott-subscribers-2-million

Seems like they haven't released updated numbers since then, at least not that I could find, but that's a lot more than I would expect (I mean, it's cheap at only $6 a month, but you have ads, and you didn't even have full episodes of big shows). I can imagine it's grown since that point. Definitely seems like they're basically doing what they did with UPN back in the day and using Star Trek to launch the service. Well, I mean, the service is already there, but to take it to the next level anyway.

It's actually about 1.5 million.

Slayven

And in November they will release the first books in The Prometheus line. For the 5 of us that enjoy Star Trek EU

Anyone saying that this is being 'sent to die' doesn't know what they're talking about. It may very well fail and not end giving All Access the kick they want, but it's not because they are dumping Trek on All Access. They've poured a lot of time and money because they want to use Trek to jumpstart All Access, and they think interested is renewed enough in the franchise to do it.

nOoblet16

Absolutely hate it when shows split season across several weeks, especially shows that have low episode numbers.

Why do shows do this? Lucifer took 2 breaks in this season alone and the entire season ran for like almost a year with only 20 episodes or so.

jrcbandit

So this will be the most pirated TV show in the US next to Game of Thrones.... Such a stupid choice in airing, allot of my friends are huge ST fans and none are going to subscribe to the CBS service.

Absolutely hate it when shows split season across several weeks, especially shows that have low episode numbers.

Why do shows do this? Lucifer took 2 breaks in this season alone and the entire season ran for like almost a year with only 20 episodes or so.

It's a mixture of budget and hype scheduling.

Previous

check out my new Swatch
I can't believe how poorly CBS is handling this, they are sending it out to die.

You have an entire generation of people who discovered Star Trek binge watching on Netflix. Asking people to subscribe to another streaming service AND keeping the ancient practice of premiering one new episode per week with a mid season hiatus is going to make a lot of people wait to start watching until there enough material available, and by the point the show may already be cancelled.

I love Star Trek but I'm not paying for a separate streaming service just to watch this show. I'll wait until the season is finished and binge watch it with the 7 day free trial.

Morts

$5.99 a month isn't bad considering I've got in the habit of paying Amazon $2.99 per episode for some cable shows. The mid season break really seems like them trying to milk that though.

Does CBS All Access have commercials though?

Anyone saying that this is being 'sent to die' doesn't know what they're talking about. It may very well fail and not end giving All Access the kick they want, but it's not because they are dumping Trek on All Access. They've poured a lot of time and money because they want to use Trek to jumpstart All Access, and they think interested is renewed enough in the franchise to do it.

Yeah, I mean, it could fail, but I would also say that a lot of people don't understand (or don't want to understand) CBS's thinking behind this. Hulu and CBS AA already do weekly episodes, and while it's not my preferred method of release, I also get that it worked for The Good Fight and The Handmaid's Tale.

Yes, but the series could fail because of AllAccess, no matter how good the series is. I already have two friends who love Star Trek but have said they will not ever watch the series until it is available on one of the streaming channels they already pay for. In that way the series is being “sent to die”, it is being sent to a service nobody currently subscribes to and nobody wants, using an episode model not even geared for streaming services. If the series flops completely, do you think CBS will blame AllAccess, or the series? My money is on the series.

The app part is so annoying. It's not on PS4, Xbox One, or my Samsung TV.

Definitely works on Xbox One because I programmed a lot of that app's Xbox frontend (don't come to me if it sux tho). It's also on PS4 because a couple of guys two desks over made that. But XboxApp4King obvs.

AFAIK it works on desktop web browsers too.

Magnus

But will it be on CraveTV as it airs or will they pull some stupid shit where they'll only put it up all at once sometime after the season has ended?

I'd expect it only after the season ends, just like Handmaid's Tale (which isn't even on Crave yet even though it's finished its run on Hulu/Bravo now).

Fuchsdh

I have the feeling that this show is going to implode on its own budget. Looking at the trailer it looks very expensive for a TV show. This could hurt its profitability and make it more likely to get cancelled prematurely.

And as a Star Trek fan I kinda wish they'd just make it look like previous shows, I don't need all this fancy JJ Trek looking crap.

What's weird is that because of the split between TV and movie rights, they've basically let Star Trek languish instead of capitalizing on the momentum of the first movie. And now, at least by appearances they are completely chasing the JJ Trek look and fans, which if you want people to pony up specifically for Star Trek seems like a poor idea. Which is all to say:

ihaveabadfeeling-luke.gif

I guess if it's good, I'll be happy, even if it doesn't stick around that long. Gonna' do the same thing I do with Hulu and just sub and unsub month-by-month.

JeffZero

Purple Drazi
Meh, just about every previous show has taken some time to find its groove. Even if it isn't great straight out of the gate, that'll just give it more in common with all the other spinoffs. <_<;

JeffZero

Purple Drazi
$5.99 a month isn't bad considering I've got in the habit of paying Amazon $2.99 per episode for some cable shows. The mid season break really seems like them trying to milk that though.

Does CBS All Access have commercials though?

It does, sadly, but there's a higher-priced option now ($7.99 or $9.99, something like that) which is commercial-free.

EDIT: Apologies for the double post. On mobile and I think my phone got confused.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
...They charge by the month...and are taking 2+ months off of the only show that will drag people into this.

Top Bottom