• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Trek: Discovery gets September 24th premiere date, season split into 2 parts

Morts

It does, sadly, but there's a higher-priced option now ($7.99 or $9.99, something like that) which is commercial-free.

EDIT: Apologies for the double post. On mobile and I think my phone got confused.

Disappointing, but I suppose I can stomach the higher priced tier since I'll be canceling HBO at the end of the upcoming Got season. That's still a net savings, and I can't tolerate commercials anymore.

Yes, but the series could fail because of AllAccess, no matter how good the series is. I already have two friends who love Star Trek but have said they will not ever watch the series until it is available on one of the streaming channels they already pay for. In that way the series is being “sent to die”, it is being sent to a service nobody currently subscribes to and nobody wants, using an episode model not even geared for streaming services. If the series flops completely, do you think CBS will blame AllAccess, or the series? My money is on the series.

This is a series that is being sent out to, hopefully, bring new life to a service. It may fail, sure, but CBS isn't just dumping this series in no faith to write off its production, which is what being 'sent out to die' actually means. Criticize the move all you want, but don't paint it as something it's not.

JeffZero

Purple Drazi
Disappointing, but I suppose I can stomach the higher priced tier since I'll be canceling HBO at the end of the upcoming Got season. That's still a net savings, and I can't tolerate commercials anymore.

Heh, I'm in the same exact boat. Using HBO Go for GoT Season 7 and then cancelling it and throwing several bucks at CBS All-Access.

It's almost the same gap as between TOS and TNG.

Almost! I'm kind of weirdly humbled to know I lived through a Trek TV gap almost as wide. I was born the year TNG premiered, as I've found occasion to mention to GAF an abnormal number of times, so I got a sweet "entire life as a minor" gig out of the last Trek TV go-around. Now I'm pushing 30...

Almost! I'm kind of weirdly humbled to know I lived through a Trek TV gap almost as wide. I was born the year TNG premiered, as I've found occasion to mention to GAF an abnormal number of times, so I got a sweet "entire life as a minor" gig out of the last Trek TV go-around. Now I'm pushing 30...

For me it was always TOS on Saturday mornings then TNG came along just as I was old enough to enjoy it. By the mid 90s we had TNG movies, DS9 and Voyager coming from all directions, it seemed like it was going to last forever. Can't believe that was 20 years ago.

bastardly

yeh it's frustrating having to pay for yet another service, but without all access i doubt this show ever exists.

According to this,http://variety.com/2017/digital/new...streaming-1-5-million-subscribers-1201986844/, they're near 1.5MM subs, which is a lot more than i thought, then again cbs skews pretty old. this show is obviously aimed at a different demo for cbs, it'll be interesting to see how well star trek does and if the other networks are going to follow suit.

Dishwalla

Banned
I really don't know how my Star Trek fan of a dad is supposed to watch this, since he has no concept of using the internet, much less streaming TV shows. Really don't understand why a show as big as Star Trek is being restricted to a streaming service only, and not regular TV. I'd imagine lots of older folks that have been watching Star Trek since the 60s, such as my dad, will have trouble seeing this latest series.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I really don't know how my Star Trek fan of a dad is supposed to watch this, since he has no concept of using the internet, much less streaming TV shows. Really don't understand why a show as big as Star Trek is being restricted to a streaming service only, and not regular TV. I'd imagine lots of older folks that have been watching Star Trek since the 60s, such as my dad, will have trouble seeing this latest series.
Because it doesn't really fit any of the CBS channels. Maybe if they were doing a Game of Thrones style Trek, they could put it on Showtime, where the Captain calls the Klingons "mother fuckers" every 5 minutes. Or if they did a Riverdale style Trek and put it on the CW, where the cast is full of sexy 20-somethings who have love-polygons with each other. lol

It would bomb on CBS itself, unless they somehow made it Star Trek: NCIS and transported Scott Bakula to the future and had him lead it.

JeffZero

Purple Drazi
http://ew.com/tv/2017/06/20/star-trek-discovery-sonequa-martin-green-burnham/

Burnham is fully human, but she grew up around Sarek and Amanda.

Ready to learn a bit more about the lead character in Star Trek: Discovery?

We spoke to star Sonequa Martin-Green about her mysterious role for this week’s upcoming issue of Entertainment Weekly. Her character, First Officer Michael Burnham (deliberately a man’s name), has been shrouded in mystery so far, with the show’s trailer hinting at a Vulcan past. Is she human? Vulcan? Martin-Green is ready to clear things up (a little).

We can tell you that Burnham is fully human (not half-Vulcan as some have speculated) and is the first human to attend the Vulcan Learning Center as a child and then the Vulcan Science Academy as a young woman. She has a close relationship with Sarek (James Frain), the father of Spock. For the past seven years, she’s been serving on the U.S.S. Shenzhou.

“I’m the first officer on the U.S.S. Shenzhou that is captained by Captain Philippa Georgiou, who is played by the amazing Michelle Yeoh,” she says. “I have an inner war and it’s a journey of self discovery and finding out what it means to be alive, to be human, to be a Starfleet officer, what it means to be a hero.”

The producers searched long and hard to find an actor who could pull of Burnham’s divided nature. “We read a lot of people and they either went way too robotic or and chilly or way too emotional,” says Aaron Harberts, who serves as showrunner on the series along with Gretchen J. Berg. “What’s beautiful about Sonequa’s performance is she’s capable of playing two, three, four things at once. She’s got such a great command of her craft, she’s able to be aloof but warm; logical but able to surrender her emotional side to the audience.”

Adds Martin-Green: “I have the Vulcan conflict in my life from Sarek and Amanda so there’s always going to be that inner conflict with me. But I think it’s relatable because we all have some kind of inner conflict going on — who we are versus who we present ourselves to be. There’s a lot to be discovered.”

rjinaz

CBS App only? That's a giant slap in the face for people in the US. Netflix everywhere else is good news though.

Yeah they are really handicapping the show with this approach. Nobody wants to subscribe the CBS only streaming service when they can already subscribe to Netflix, hulu, amazon, and record other CBS shows on DVR.

CBS is basically trying to force this service on people and I don't think it's going to pay off, at all. Only the hardcore Trek fans are going to pay a monthly fee to watch the show which is what it amounts to, it won't reach a huge audience in the US.

Because it doesn't really fit any of the CBS channels. Maybe if they were doing a Game of Thrones style Trek, they could put it on Showtime, where the Captain calls the Klingons "mother fuckers" every 5 minutes. Or if they did a Riverdale style Trek and put it on the CW, where the cast is full of sexy 20-somethings who have love-polygons with each other. lol

It would bomb on CBS itself, unless they somehow made it Star Trek: NCIS and transported Scott Bakula to the future and had him lead it.

who says they cant have cpt archer post enterprise lead SCIS. Lol

firehawk12

Subete no aware
who says they cant have cpt archer post enterprise lead SCIS. Lol
To have it air on CBS, they need to tie it directly to NCIS so that old people will watch it.

They could make the character on NCIS: New Orleans a time travelling Captain Archer I suppose. :p lol

Previous

check out my new Swatch
A time travel episode featuring Captain Archer isn't that bad of an idea, In-fact if this was actually airing on CBS I'd bet it would definitely happen.

Voyager did it with Sulu and DS9 had that tribble episode with stock footage of Kirk.

BobLoblaw

Banned
A time travel episode featuring Captain Archer isn't that bad of an idea, In-fact if this was actually airing on CBS I'd bet it would definitely happen.

Voyager did it with Sulu and DS9 had that tribble episode with stock footage of Kirk.
That was only the best episode of Trek ever. I think you'd need to seriously lower the bar for this, especially since it's a brand new series where they're trying to establish their own characters first.

Shoeless

That was only the best episode of Trek ever. I think you'd need to seriously lower the bar for this, especially since it's a brand new series where they're trying to establish their own characters first.

Dax's fangirl reactions to everything in that episode had me howling. It was such a nostalgia trip, they really nailed it with that episode.

geomon

CBS app only and split season?

latest

Previous

check out my new Swatch

I didn't mean to sound like I have high hopes for Discovery, I definitely do not. I just don't want it be cancelled prematurely.

DS9 is my favorite Trek show.

DiscoJer

Really wish this was set post-Voyager.

Yeah. To me, they should just set the show (and all Star Trek shows) 400 years into the future from when they air.

That's what TOS originally settled on and then what Star Trek Online did (starting in 2410 in 2010), but the latter has only progressed a year in 7 years.

Speaking as someone who has tried CBS AA, and with Trek TV franchise probably being my favorite TV series of all-time, I'll probably just wait until season 1 is over, and binge watch it, and cancel CBS AA afterwards.

Otherwise, not really a fan of most CBS show these days, and TBH, most shows I watch these days are from YT, which ya know, are free.

Top Bottom