• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Trek Discovery - official trailer in OP, 15 episodes ordered, premieres 9/24

My greatest fear about this show is that it will keep the trent of jj abramsing the franchise that started with the films. The trailers released so far validate that fear, but hopefully i'm wrong

aadiboy

I literally finished my watchthrough of TOS + the 6 movies a few days ago, and I can see why so many people didn't like the new movies. They just don't feel like Star Trek. Beyond was good though, and I don't think it's a coincidence that it's the only one of the new trilogy that Abrams didn't direct. I hope Discovery can show what classic Trek is in 2017, rather than take after Abrams.

Effect

Getting closer and closer to the day. Looking forward to this show has really rekindled my overall interest in Trek. Just started watching more of TOS and some Enterprise. Doubt I'll finish them before the show starts but I'm not rushing through them. I just wish there were more games and more of the older games were available to buy. I also wish Bridge Crew didn't require VR. A non-VR version of that game would work easily I feel. That said I'm glad there is going to be merchandise. I'm going to be picking up the phasers as soon as I can preorder them as well as some of the ships if they're not priced crazy.

I literally finished my watchthrough of TOS + the 6 movies a few days ago, and I can see why so many people didn't like the new movies. They just don't feel like Star Trek. Beyond was good though, and I don't think it's a coincidence that it's the only one of the new trilogy that Abrams didn't direct. I hope Discovery can show what classic Trek is in 2017, rather than take after Abrams.

Even though I enjoyed the them they do not really feel what you'd expect from Star Trek if you've watched any of the series. I think the biggest issue is that there is no time to really breathe in the films. No down time in the story. They move at a rapid pace either action wise or intensity. Beyond doesn't do this and that's why it's the best out of the three. There is still a lot of action but it's far better paced.

It really is due to Abrams. The Force Awakens feels the same exact way and it's a big part of my issue with that film as well. The other Star Wars films don't feel like that either. I think if they had picked someone else, tried to do the same type of story, etc, the reaction might have been different.

They're going to have 15 hours (assuming each episode is close to 60 minutes or maybe even more). There is no need to rush. They have a lot of time and that I feel automatically means it's going to feel more like the Star Trek people have wanted by comparison.

That said I don't think there was ever a chance anything new in this time period was going to look like the 60s show no matter who was at the helm. I think some people need to get over that. I like how the JJ films tech and uniforms look a LOT. I do kinda wish Discovery had the same uniforms but I do like what they're using now. I'm not to bent out of shape about it. Uniforms change in Trek a good amount and they're not all good.

I literally finished my watchthrough of TOS + the 6 movies a few days ago, and I can see why so many people didn't like the new movies. They just don't feel like Star Trek.

Even though I enjoyed the them they do not really feel what you'd expect from Star Trek if you've watched any of the series.

I disagree with this sentiment entirely. Beyond especially is the most TOS feeling of any of the movies, and that includes the films with the TOS cast in em.

the "Star Trek Feel" is one of the most shifty, slidy, nebulous, easily re-defined things, which makes it frustrating as hell to try and pin down solidly, much less so solid that everyone can agree on it.

In my experience, the only "Star Trek feel" that seems consistent among the fandom is the one that seems to agree the ideal of Star Trek is Next Gen.

Which I can't fuckin' roll with at all.

Effect

True. What "feels" Star Trek really is pretty pliable. It really can change quite easily from person to person, hell even with the mood. I also don't agree with the idea that the ideal Star Trek is something Next Generation like. I hate when people try to make that the standard. I really don't understand how that ended up on such a pedestal to some people.

Anyway a few more promos were put out.

The age of Discovery is born. - https://www.instagram.com/p/BYbPbt0AytG/?taken-by=startrekcbs

Beyond the stars, Discovery awaits. - https://www.instagram.com/p/BYdzf3QgF-E/?taken-by=startrekcbs

Fortune favors the bold - https://www.instagram.com/p/BYqvx2lgoNu/?taken-by=startrekcbs - This one has the most new footage since the Comic Con trailer was released and is the latest one as of yesterday.

Been messing around with the CBS app on Windows just to get ready. Haven't paid yet but will. Seems decent enough. Though I wish I could control and tell what the stream quality is. It's HD I can tell from the few things I loaded up that were free. I can't tell if it's 720p or 1080p though. It seems like it might very well change depending on your connection quality. When I start the trailer on there it takes a few seconds before it clears up and becomes similar in quality to the youtube version which is in 720p. This won't be a problem unless the episodes starts right away and there is no logos displayed or opening.

I don't know if there is a setting in the account section (haven't signed up yet) that you can tell the service to force a certain quality. I can do that with Netflix so I'm not constantly streaming at the highest quality and destroy my monthly bandwidth. I usually set Netflix to standard definition unless there is a film or show I want to see in high quality then I go in and change it. If anyone has used the CBS app before or are signed up now is there an option like this?

Morts

I'm starting to get really excited for new Trek. Even if it doesn't end up being high art I think I can get a lot of enjoyment out of some high budget sci fi.

Shoeless

You could say, it's been a long road, getting from there to here.

I do question their final musical choice for Enterprise, but I don't fault their intention. Wanting to musically encapsulate the idea of centuries of voyaging finally getting people into intergalactic space was a noble cause. Going with a pop song wasn't a great result, though.

Having never seen Enterprise until now, and being in the fourth season, I have to say the show has grown on me. I absolutely loathe the "fan service" moments when they linger on T'pol, and the first couple of seasons seemed confused, but I think I prefer this to Voyager. The call backs to TOS things like Orion slavers, Andorians and all that other stuff is cool, and I'm actually okay with their trinity of Archer, T'pol, Tucker.

Travis Mayweather is absolutely under-utilized, however.

The Star Trek atmosphere, the old ones anyway. Is the silence, the space between. The atmosphere, that console pinging. The shots into space with a synthy guitar striking a deep chord.

The moments of pontification between dialogue, the tempo, like in how the classic spock would deliver lines to captain. It made moments last, it didn't feel like it was bothered about getting to the point at a raging tempo to appease mobile phone kids of this generation.

There was a certain kind of calmness to it all.

And that dimly lit star trek bridge. kinda claustrophobic but spacious enough.

that's what i think when i think about old school trek atmosphere

Justin Bailey

------ ------
Hey quick question - will the premier episode also be on CBS All Access? My antenna doesn't get great signal so I was just going to go ahead and subscribe, but I don't want to miss the first episode.

TrekMovie has a great primer for Discovery with some details that I'd missed

Lieutenant Saru – the outsider
Saru, played by Doug Jones, is a Kelpian. The Kelpians are from a planet with two species where they are the prey species. Saru has evolved with heightened survival instincts, and according to the actor, he is ready for a fight if you get him cornered. Physically striking, he is an ungulate (has hoofed feet) and is uniquely tall (6′ 8″); he gets special Starfleet boots made for hoofed species.

And here he is in his hoofedness:

dsc-0906images-01-640x480.jpg

https://trekmovie.com/2017/09/12/st...-about-capt-lorca-and-the-uss-discovery-crew/

Effect

Hey quick question - will the premier episode also be on CBS All Access? My antenna doesn't get great signal so I was just going to go ahead and subscribe, but I don't want to miss the first episode.

Last time I check it should be. Should be on both with episode 2 actually dropping on CBS AA (assume all other platforms) after the first episode airs too. So there are two episodes dropping on the 24th/25th.

Kevin

So, I guess CBS is embargoing all reviews of Discovery until after it airs.

I'm thinking this does not bode well.

Yikes, not a good look! :/

Everyone's on the hate train for this series but I'm still 100% in board. I think it looks good. Could also start off a bit rough and improve with time. I mean even TNG started off a bit rough at first and well turned out awesome. I have faith personally...

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Yikes, not a good look! :/

Everyone's on the hate train for this series but I'm still 100% in board. I think it looks good. Could also start off a bit rough and improve with time. I mean even TNG started off a bit rough at first and well turned out awesome. I have faith personally...
Faith of the heeeeeeearrrtttt.

Personally I hope it's good, but it looks like everything I wouldn't want from a Trek show in 2017. If Orville really ends up being more "Star Trek" than Discovery, then I know the franchise is done. lol

Davide

I disagree with this sentiment entirely. Beyond especially is the most TOS feeling of any of the movies, and that includes the films with the TOS cast in em.
Absolutely. It felt like a modern blockbuster version of a TOS episode, something I'd always wanted to see.

t-storm

Look on the bright side: It can't be worse than season one of TNG.
I'm actually rewatching TNG in the lead up to Discovery.

Season one isn't as bad as I originally thought.

NOW season two on the other hand, the Pulaski season, is by far the worst season.

Reading back stories about this season, I never really knew how bad the morale was among the cast, especially with co-exec producer Maurice Hurley around (who fired Gates McFadden and would ultimately quit at the send of season two).

Kevin

As of fan who has watched almost all of Trek... I feel like Star Trek Discovery looks absolutely amazing! It takes an old tired franchise and gives it new life! I will never get the hate that this is receiving. I can't think of a single complaint to make off of this and I couldn't be more hyped that we are getting an awesome new Star Trek show with a great budget.

For those who are not on board, what exactly do you guys want from a new Star Trek show? Are you looking for something more like this?

https://youtu.be/nIHVug6x7kw

For those who are not on board, what exactly do you guys want from a new Star Trek show?

Well I want it to look like established Trek, none of this nonsense Klingon redesign and the like. I don't really want much action either, in Trek the action is best using the less is more approach imo.

Is why I like the TOS movies, they got action but it's few and far between making the action moments better, the TNG movies are ok but not as good as they increasingly get action focused, and the reboot movies are horrid as Trek (though I like 09 and Beyond as action movies).

STD doesn't look like what I personally like, but I have Netflix and it'll be on that here so I will watch and give it a fair chance.

sammex

Disappointed to hear about the embargo - if it was an amazing tv show then you could get more subs by getting the word out that it's good.

Conversely it doesn't automatically mean that it is terrible. It could fine, just not great enough that the strength of reviews would encourage more subs. I'd be alright with it just being a solid first season so long as they could build from there.

Pluto

I'm actually rewatching TNG in the lead up to Discovery.

Season one isn't as bad as I originally thought.

NOW season two on the other hand, the Pulaski season, is by far the worst season.
I don't agree with that, it introduced several great concepts, ideas and characters. The borg, Data's interest in sherlock holmes, Guinan, Pulaski (who was way more interesting than Crusher) and it had The Measure of a Man, one of the best episodes of the entire series. It was still a little rough but much better than season 1.

I don't agree with that, it introduced several great concepts, ideas and characters. The borg, Data's interest in sherlock holmes, Guinan, Pulaski (who was way more interesting than Crusher) and it had The Measure of a Man, one of the best episodes of the entire series. It was still a little rough but much better than season 1.

Excuse me..... What?

Excuse me..... What?
Nah, he's right. It's been a while but as far as I remember Pulaski was a bitter and disillusioned woman who still had a good heart buried inside of her. I never found an interesting internal struggle in Crusher. I might misremember the details here, but I'm very sure I disliked Pulaski at first but started appreciating her after a couple of episodes. I was very disappointed when she was replaced by Crusher again.

Top Bottom