• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Trek: Discovery |OT| To Boldly Stream Where No One Has Streamed Before

ivysaur12

Banned
Gotcha. That makes sense. Is it hard keeping the numbers straight with more serialized shows?

Maybe on a larger show like a CW show with 22. Even Gods, you could pretty much track things by the "thing" that happens. (103 = heist, 104 = Laura, 107 = Vulcan). Easier here. 103 is the Disco intro, 104 is the Tardigrade, 105 is Lorca captured, etc. Pretty easy to track.

It was a harder on Helix for a variety of reasons.

Effect

I know some people are hung up on the Klingon ships designs (well all designs) being different but I've really enjoyed them as well. As soon as I saw that they classified that ship as a D7 I knew some people might lose their minds but I really enjoy the designs and all the redesigns. That stuff does not bother me at all. That fighter design was pretty cool. I hope they actually make a figure of that fighter as well or a model.

Just watched the episode, they really need to give some scenes to the people on the bridge. The redhead who was on the Shinzou and Nebula from GotG both seem interesting.

Yeah, and after this week I feel like they will eventually. Hopefully. This week had a nice amount of branching out to seeing things with the other characters away from Michael's viewpoint and this week was also the first time we really got a couple of nice little bits of them working through a problem together on the bridge in some screen time so it feels like it's gradually coming.

Sloane

Banned
[*]Killing off Georgiou. I like Lorca too, but Georgiou reminded me of Picard, so maybe that's why I'm mad we won't get to see her more.
If we're actually headed for the mirror universe, I'd expect to see more of her, as well as some weird twist like Lorca actually being from there or something.

What confuses me a bit is, are the Klingons supposed to be weak on this show? In the pilot, they couldn't really win a fight, in the last episode two humans take on an entire Klingon ship without much of an issue. If they had any honor, they'd probably all just kill themselves at this point.

Btw, the Klingon production design continues to be SICK. The Klingon fighters looked amazing.

yup.

just loving the design of this show so much, the new Starfleet uniforms are equally awesome - totally nerdy, but without seeming ridiculous [you'll notice they are a one piece jumpsuit with a strong waistband, with a short jacket worn over-top, simple and brililant work
by the costume department].

loved the tardigrade plot as well, dripping with classic Star Trek ethical choices with multiple view-points to consider - all through more interesting character dynamics than we've seen from any of the shows.

cool stuff, just so fucking hooked.

What confuses me a bit is, are the Klingons supposed to be weak on this show? In the pilot, they couldn't really win a fight, in the last episode two humans take on an entire Klingon ship without much of an issue. If they had any honor, they'd probably all just kill themselves at this point.

yeah i'm somewhat confused by this as well.

although in this prison break episode, i suppose having the disruptors helped somewhat - notice how specific the kill-effect was from the disruptors in this show finally? definitely have a less "elegant" kill effect to them - super neat detail work in the effects.

Sloane

Banned
What is this mirror universe thing?
It's from TOS and DS9 (and Enterprise, I guess), it's basically a parallel universe where everyone is more or less the opposite of their World I counterparts. Kurtzman talked about going there for "some episodes" which probably only makes sense if there's some major twist involved; we don't really know the characters enough for it to be just for fun yet.

I didn't know Stamets was named for a real-life mycologist.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paul_Stamets

Did you catch any of those early 80's and 90's fan comments about the first seasons of TNG and DS9? Shloww your roll

I liked the first season of DS9. This show is too flashy i love the trashy low budget esthetic of TNG DS9 Voyager. I don’t need flashy cgi, i just want characters doing super corny acting in a super serious way.

duckroll

Kurtzman talked about

FOZcGAN.gif

besada

Banned
So, I pooped on the first two episodes and I stand by that, but it's been getting better. Maybe not in a nice linear way, but better nonetheless. I still find Michael to be largely irritating, although Saru is running a tight race at taking that prize.

But the last three episodes have had fairly interesting stories, and I enjoyed the Ones Who Walk Away From Omelas subplot with Ripper.

It continues to look balls out amazing.

Also, gay people in my Star Trek? Well, I never!

Sou Da

So, I pooped on the first two episodes and I stand by that, but it's been getting better. Maybe not in a nice linear way, but better nonetheless. I still find Michael to be largely irritating, although Saru is running a tight race at taking that prize.

But the last three episodes have had fairly interesting stories, and I enjoyed the Ones Who Walk Away From Omelas subplot with Ripper.

It continues to look balls out amazing.

Also, gay people in my Star Trek? Well, I never!

You mean those two good pals at the end having a sleepover? I remember having a chat with my bud while brushing my teeth all the time.

This is how TNG/DS9 would have actually played it.

Sloane

Banned
Ah, sorry, has been mentioned in this thread several times though, I believe, so I though it was cool!

Episode ends with guy in front of the mirror and his reflection staying after he leaves.

You mean those two good pals at the end having a sleepover? I remember having a chat with my bud while brushing my teeth all the time.
I was more surprised they still have toothbrushes. Surely, there's a better solution by now?

besada

Banned

This is how TNG/DS9 would have actually played it.

The funniest thing is The Orville beat them to it.

duckroll

Ah, sorry, has been mentioned in this thread several times though, I believe, so I though it was cool!

Episode ends with guy in front of the mirror and his reflection staying after he leaves.

I paid money to watch The Mummy. Kurtzman always triggers me.

Man, I missed so much from the episode. Watching Star Trek when very, very tired is a bad idea LOL.

Not

Banned
So wait, any human that injects themselves with shroom DNA can pilot the Discovery? Or is it going to turn out that's a bad idea once Stamets phases out of existence?

More quick comments:

There was a hell of a lot of Dwight in Mudd.

The Klingon raiders sounded like some small craft from the Star Wars universe.

I called the human injection, but I thought it'd be Michael doing it.

Stamets is totally going power mad and/or will try to send the Discovery across the universe on a mad science trip.

I thought of that Weebls water bear video again.

This show looks EXPENSIVE.

I liked the armor on the Klingon prison guards. It felt more... Klingon, somehow. And also pretty Roman.

The doctor's acting isn't really selling me so far.

I liked the list of notable captains.

There's a lot about this show that's going out of its way to appeal to a normie audience, and the swearing is more of that.

Not

Banned
I find it really, really hard to believe that our descendants won't use the F word

Or that the F word will even be offensive in 200 years

Hell, we might have a whole new language derived from the F word alone by then

I find it really, really hard to believe that our descendants won't use the F word

Or that the F word will even be offensive in 200 years

Hell, we might have a whole new language derived from the F word alone by then

Also words become offensive over time. Look how many Gropecunt Lanes there were in medieval England before towns got all uncomfortable about them. :p

golem

There's a lot about this show that's going out of its way to appeal to a normie audience, and the swearing is more of that.

I dont think swearing in one episode out of five is going to make "normies" think that suddenly Star Trek is for them lol. 'Yeah bro swearing fuck yea bro!' I doubt the producers think that either.

Sloane

Banned
I dont think swearing in one episode out of five is going to make "normies" think that suddenly Star Trek is for them lol. 'Yeah bro swearing fuck yea bro!' I doubt the producers think that either.
Probably, still felt a little off to me though. There were "opportunities" to swear in the first four episodes, yet they didn't. Maybe it should have been established from the beginning, considering it's a first for Star Trek and another thing that doesn't quite fit with the other shows. Then again, I don't really care.

golem

Probably, still felt a little off to me though. There were "opportunities" to swear in the first four episodes, yet they didn't. Maybe it should have been established from the beginning, considering it's a first for Star Trek and another thing that doesn't quite fit with the other shows. Then again, I don't really care.

Swearing does happen in Star Trek occasionally. I think it's just the first for a character using the F bomb specifically

Top Bottom