• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Trek: Discovery |OT| To Boldly Stream Where No One Has Streamed Before

I find it really, really hard to believe that our descendants won't use the F word

Or that the F word will even be offensive in 200 years

Hell, we might have a whole new language derived from the F word alone by then

To be fair, you dont hear the F word lots because of the environment the are in. They are meant to be proffesionals etc. I thought they handled it really well. She is younger and it just came out. After a brief look of shock at it coming out so brazenly he then agreed and repeated it. Prob no different to if some young lab assistant did something similar after discovering a cure for cancer or something.

Anyway I am really enjoying this series. Loved every episode so far.

DBT85

So the theory is that in 1 month, Voq
has fled from the battle of binaries with his #1, gone to the matriarchs, got humanised and then aboard a prison vessel long enough for Mudd to think he's actually a Fed, then beats seven shades out of the captain of the ship that must have been in on it to capture Lorca and kills a guard. Because being a human will help rally the 24 houses to T'kuvmas cause?

Drinkel

I like that they make the Klingon guns really scary and lethal. But then the Klingons themselves don't seem to care much. Instead just wanting to wrestle for a bit or run right for them during the escape.

Symphonia

Banned
I really don’t like Saru. I know Michael is/was a mutineer, but she’s doing her best to redeem herself, but Saru is having none of it. He needs to stop being a cunt.

Timbuktu

I really don’t like Saru. I know Michael is/was a mutineer, but she’s doing her best to redeem herself, but Saru is having none of it. He needs to stop being a cunt.

I would think that, but that scene towards the end make me think that they might move pass it. I appreciate Saru's self awareness for both his inadequacies and insecurities, as well as his attitude towards Burnham.

I would think that, but that scene towards the end make me think that they might move pass it. I appreciate Saru's self awareness for both his inadequacies and insecurities, as well as his attitude towards Burnham.

This. Plus Burnham wasn’t making it easy, she had a lot of prejudice towards him as well.

Symphonia

Banned
Yeah, between the two of them, Burnham comes across as much less sympathetic for me.
Saru insisted they use the Ripper to jump, despite being told via Burnham that doing so could kill it. And, lo and behold, it very nearly did. Burnham showed much more emotion (in this episode, at least) than Saru did.

AntChum

Quite enjoyed episode five — feels like Discovery is finally starting to settle into being a Star Trek show. Not being so glued to Michael, and allowing other characters more screen presence really goes a long way to creating an atmosphere of mankind's utopian future. There were some actual ethical discussions — amazing!

Klingons are still shit, though, and this episode really amplifies my problems with their presentation in prior (and presumably future) episodes. Have them speak English, like they were on the prison ship. Universal translators are a thing in Star Trek, and they're no more fanciful than quantum mushroom space travel.

SpaceWolf

Banned
Saru insisted they use the Ripper to jump, despite being told via Burnham that doing so could kill it. And, lo and behold, it very nearly did. Burnham showed much more emotion (in this episode, at least) than Saru did.

As a representative of Starfleet working against the clock on an extremely important, time-sensitive mission, it's not up to Burnham to "show emotion", especially when such emotion is directly hindering their objective...it was up to her to act like a goddamn professional who could respect the chain of command. Saru was racing against time to save the life of their fellow captain, working under an extremely critical order from Starfleet to prevent extremely sensitive military information from falling into the Klingon's hands. Despite Saru hearing out Burnham's objections at the time and having informed her that they were required by necessity to make that gamble in order to complete their mission, Burnham took it upon herself to undermine those explicit orders from Saru as her superior, working with the science team in such a way that not only ended up sabotaging the entire mission, but consequently put the ship and its entire crew in danger as a result by allowing the ship to stall in hostile Klingon territory.

Although her concerns about the creature were naturally sympathetic, Burnham was lucky Saru didn't have security haul her ass into the brig after this episode.

DBT85

As a representative of Starfleet working against the clock on an extremely important, time-sensitive mission, it's not up to Burnham to "show emotion", especially when such emotion is directly hindering their objective...it was up to her to act like a goddamn professional who could respect the chain of command. Saru was racing against time to save the life of their fellow captain, working under an extremely critical order from Starfleet to prevent extremely sensitive military information from falling into the Klingon's hands. Despite Saru hearing out Burnham's objections at the time and having informed her that they required by necessity to make that gamble in order to complete their mission, Burnham took it upon herself to undermine those explicit orders from Saru as her superior, working with the science team in such a way that not only ended up sabotaging the entire mission, but consequently put the ship and its entire crew in danger as a result by allowing the ship to stall in hostile Klingon territory.

Although her concerns about the creature were naturally sympathetic, Burnham was lucky Saru didn't have security haul her ass into the brig after this episode.

Had she not done what she did, they really might have bee stranded in klingon space as I'm not sure how well the creature would have reacted to being inflated and nipple clamped again. Because of her actions they had the juice needed for human injection which got them out of dodge.

I find it really, really hard to believe that our descendants won't use the F word

Or that the F word will even be offensive in 200 years

Hell, we might have a whole new language derived from the F word alone by then

I dont think swearing in one episode out of five is going to make "normies" think that suddenly Star Trek is for them lol. 'Yeah bro swearing fuck yea bro!' I doubt the producers think that either.

These are kind of beside my point. F-words are new to Trek, and I think it's reasonable to guess that they were added for the same kind of mass appeal that a lot of the new elements in the series are aiming for. Discovery is fast-paced, cinematic, action-oriented, has a good helping of spectacle, and is often pretty quippy/snarky.

CD93

Neo Member
Have them speak English, like they were on the prison ship. Universal translators are a thing in Star Trek, and they're no more fanciful than quantum mushroom space travel.

They are a thing - but the Klingons presumably have no reason to translate their own language to eachother.

Izuna

Banned
Never really saw Star Trek before the event movies. I am in love with this show.

But it feels like this thread is working on so much more info than I have, I'm so confused. Is this a prequel or something?

Never really saw Star Trek before the event movies. I am in love with this show.

But it feels like this thread is working on so much more info than I have, I'm so confused. Is this a prequel or something?

A prequel to The Original Series (original show with Kirk) by some 10 years.

It's set around a hundred years after the previous series, Star Trek: Enterprise (Jonathan Archer being the Captain of that ship), while being set a little under a decade before the events of Star Trek: The Original Series (Captain Kirk in command).

Burnham's foster/mentor, Sarek, is the father of Spock, the first officer from TOS.

Kalor

These are kind of beside my point. F-words are new to Trek, and I think it's reasonable to guess that they were added for the same kind of mass appeal that a lot of the new elements in the series are aiming for. Discovery is fast-paced, cinematic, action-oriented, has a good helping of spectacle, and is often pretty quippy/snarky.

I doubt the one F-word was added for mass appeal. If you're going for mass appeal then you don't put the show on a streaming service that no-one uses in your home territory. There's the international deal with Netflix but I'd be surprised if that influenced many of the decisions made on the show. All the other elements you mentioned are just a part of making a new Star Trek today.

Burnham's foster/mentor, Sarek, is the father of Spock, the first officer from TOS.

Spock was the Science Officer not the First Officer. The First Officer concept was introduced only in TNG to address some of the criticism from TOS, why a Federation Captain would expose himself so much to field trips and danger. So Riker was the Captain’s “legs” while himself usually stays in ship and dealing with the decision making and diplomacy.

Spock was the Science Officer not the First Officer. The First Officer concept was introduced only in TNG to address some of the criticism from TOS, why a Federation Captain would expose himself so much to field trips and danger. So Riker was the Captain’s “legs” while himself usually stays in ship and dealing with the decision making and diplomacy.

He was both.

Something this show does a lot that I'm somewhat conflicted about is that it will try to make certain characters seem sympathetic by making everyone around that person seem like an asshole for an episode. The first two episodes, Burnham was a giant dick for bad (though story-relevant) reasons, and so nobody likes her. Then in the third episode, everyone's a dick to Burnham, so suddenly she's the sympathetic one, and everyone else is hateful except for Saru, who people end up liking because he's not really a dick, and he uses his dickishness like a scalpel to hit Burnham exactly where it needed to hurt. In this episode, we need to make the rest of the crew not seem like such dicks, so what does the show do? Make Saru a rampaging dick instead.

In summary, it's dicks all the way down. Er, I mean, what were we talking about? Oh right. I think the show's still trying to settle into proper characterizations for everyone, so we're probably just seeing different sides of everyone so far. Burnham, of course, has her own very specific reasons for not being so arrogant and hard-headed anymore. But I do occasionally get whiplash from the whole Dick of the Week thing.

Coxy100

Banned
More quick comments:

There was a hell of a lot of Dwight in Mudd.

The Klingon raiders sounded like some small craft from the Star Wars universe.

I called the human injection, but I thought it'd be Michael doing it.

Stamets is totally going power mad and/or will try to send the Discovery across the universe on a mad science trip.

I thought of that Weebls water bear video again.

This show looks EXPENSIVE.

I liked the armor on the Klingon prison guards. It felt more... Klingon, somehow. And also pretty Roman.

The doctor's acting isn't really selling me so far.

I liked the list of notable captains.

There's a lot about this show that's going out of its way to appeal to a normie audience, and the swearing is more of that.
Really agree with those bolded comments!

The doctor is so stiff, it's weird.

ivysaur12

Banned
Something this show does a lot that I'm somewhat conflicted about is that it will try to make certain characters seem sympathetic by making everyone around that person seem like an asshole for an episode. The first two episodes, Burnham was a giant dick for bad (though story-relevant) reasons, and so nobody likes her. Then in the third episode, everyone's a dick to Burnham, so suddenly she's the sympathetic one, and everyone else is hateful except for Saru, who people end up liking because he's not really a dick, and he uses his dickishness like a scalpel to hit Burnham exactly where it needed to hurt. In this episode, we need to make the rest of the crew not seem like such dicks, so what does the show do? Make Saru a rampaging dick instead.

In summary, it's dicks all the way down. Er, I mean, what were we talking about? Oh right. I think the show's still trying to settle into proper characterizations for everyone, so we're probably just seeing different sides of everyone so far. Burnham, of course, has her own very specific reasons for not being so arrogant and hard-headed anymore. But I do occasionally get whiplash from the whole Dick of the Week thing.

I don't think that makes any of those people "dicks". That means that Saru was faced with a very real mission to try to find his captain and not have him suffer the same fate as Georgiou. Having to make a tough decision doesn't make you a bad person.

His options are either jump and the Tardigrade may not make it or don't jump and Lorca dies after he was specefically given a mission to save Lorce by Admiral Cornwell. This is also his first time ever in command. That tracks with his entire characterization.

Morts

Are there any hi res pictures of thoise Klingon raiders anywhere?

Also I knew I'd seen the Admiral somewhere before, but when I went to IMDB I was expecting something more recent than the therapist in Sports Night.

That's not what Memory Alpha says. In the obituary after Spock dies it refers to him as XO.

That is in reference to the movie reboot.

But TOS haf a loose definition. When Kirk was away he usually choose his substitute at his will.

Plus the concept of First Officer implies that is his duty to stay in ship while the captain is away. While Riker had his share of field trips with Piccard, Spock was always with Kirk, making no sense of him being the Kirk’s substitute.

It is one of the “gray” spots from TOS that more recent lore has addressed, so you can consider Spock 1st Officer but he wasn’t really at TOS. The movies, even before of the reboot, addressed it,

SpaceWolf

Banned
I don't think that makes any of those people "dicks". That means that Saru was faced with a very real mission to try to find his captain and not have him suffer the same fate as Georgiou. Having to make a tough decision doesn't make you a bad person.

His options are either jump and the Tardigrade may not make it or don't jump and Lorca dies after he was specefically given a mission to save Lorce by Admiral Cornwell. This is also his first time ever in command. That tracks with his entire characterization.

Agreed.

I thought Saru was perfectly reasonable in this episode, even when faced with some hard decisions.

Riker had a really well-defined role as first officer. He was the XO and the show illustrated a lot of his duties as the chief of staff of the ship. Spock was mostly just the science officer who could take over in Kirk's absence.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Still haven't watched this yet(or checked into the thread), but just caught an online ad which made the show look like an all-out space war epic. The entire teaser was nothing but Klingons and the Federation shooting the shit out of each other in space.

Is that the show? No discovery, no moral quandaries to mull over, just a sci-fi blast em up?

gillty

Banned
Still haven't watched this yet(or checked into the thread), but just caught an online ad which made the show look like an all-out space war epic. The entire teaser was nothing but Klingons and the Federation shooting the shit out of each other in space.

Is that the show? No discovery, no moral quandaries to mull over, just a sci-fi blast em up?
No.

Dougald

Only in the same way that the old previews for DS9 showing the federation and dominion shooting the shit out of each other was representative of that shows content. Don't worry

firelogic

They are a thing - but the Klingons presumably have no reason to translate their own language to eachother.

When only Klingons are present in a scene, they should speak English, not because they're actually speaking English to each other, but because it's easier for the audience, especially since the Klingon they speak on Discovery sounds terrible for some reason, and to compound the problem, they sound like they're talking through a wall. Their voices don't carry and don't sound imposing at all.

When other species are present, have them speak Klingon. It's something other programs/movies have done before to great effect.

Hunt for Red October comes to mind. They all "speak" English on the Russian sub from the audience's perspective, even though they're actually speaking Russian to each other. But when Americans are added to the scene, they sound Russian.

I have no problem with reading subtitles but Klingon just sounds so bad to me on this show. I didn't have a problem with it on TNG for example.

Rymuth

Michael shows again and again and again that she has no respect for the chain of command. He gave her a specific order and she disobeyed. She flat-out knocked her captain. Who's to say she won't stab or shoot Saru in the back if she doesn't like what he's saying?

It was either that or get stranded in Klingon territory. Almost 200 souls vs 1. Emotion has no business when you're in command. Saru chose the practical option and did it to protect his captain and his crew. Michael did this to satisfy a selfish desire to appease her guilty conscious for getting Georgiou killed.

Veelk

Banned
Michael shows again and again and again that she has no respect for the chain of command. He gave her a specific order and she disobeyed. She flat-out knocked her captain. Who's to say she won't stab or shoot Saru in the back if she doesn't like what he's saying?

She's a rebel, not a psychopath. She'll disobey if she thinks it's right to do so, but she's hasn't shown to be willing to actually harm anyone on the federation.

golem

People need to stop judging entire films or TV shows from a 30 second trailer.

To be fair Discovery makes it more difficult by putting everything behind a paywall in the US most people dont subscribe to (and to be honest really isnt appealing outside of the show itself}. I wonder how they plan to promote this for the back half of the season.

Ehh.. I thought it conveyed a nice bonding moment between Tilly and Staments being excited by their work. Besides you already know what Star Trek traditionally considers mass appeal.
Boooobbbbbsssss
Less of that, please.

Top Bottom