• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Trek: Discovery |OT| To Boldly Stream Where No One Has Streamed Before

When will Netflix UK air it? I expected it to be live by now, don't tell me they gonna be running a day late because that gonna ruin it with spoilers unless I stay off most the sites I use.

RPGCrazied

First episode was great. The app was solid too. Will watch 2nd one tomorrow. I hope next week when everyone is on the app doesn't cause problems.

WillyFive

Glad they gave a Star Trek show such great production values; but I don't think the new art design is appealing to me. It's ugly, really. The warm colors are too saturated, and the show in general seems pointlessly poorly lit to try to appear striking and as different from past shows as possible, without being convincing enough that it was a good move for the premise of the show.

First episode was definitely a slow burn but it got better and better as it progressed, it started out with bad dialogue but ended with great twists and a main character with actual motivation and drive. The only other interesting character however was the alien guy, all the other crewmates seemed like they were just extras.

I can't justify paying for a new service just for one television show, so I can't wait until it arrives on Netflix.

This is the least charismatic cast I have ever seen. Hope the characters get some actual characterization.

Some of them had charisma I thought and supposedly the show is all about this. One of the supposed key aspects of the show thanks to the continuous format is character development, none of the characters start where they end up.

dsp

I enjoyed this a lot more than I expected to based on the original trailer. Definitely tuning in next week.

Lizzy

Unconfirmed Member
Does this second episode slow down a bit? I was thinking too much that this episode needed to slow down.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Okay. It was okay I guess, but all the constant commercials have literally made me completely forget what happened.

And they've locked the second part behind a paywall. Even Yahoo! didn't put Community behind a paywall and Yahoo! Screen STILL failed. This should be on Netflix or Amazon or something. You know, a streaming service that people probably already subscribe to. I don't even think this show would sell YouTube Red subscriptions if it were exclusive to them.

Anyway, TNG, DS9 and Voyager all had two-part series premieres too and they were slow as shit, but they also had one major benefit... they were all on the same night on the same channel and didn't cost money to continue.

I guess I'm saying I don't have high hopes. But I hope it does get better.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
This is the least charismatic cast I have ever seen. Hope the characters get some actual characterization.

I'm liking the cast members we've been seeing this episode. Georgiou, Michael and Saru are all interesting I think.

I imagine we'll get to know the others later, but I like these three so far.

WTF? That was the end of the episode? Are they really gonna leave us hanging like that? Didn't even feel like a proper cliffhanger. They just ended nearly in the middle of a scene.

Feels like a 2 hour cut in half ending with those other ships warping in.

I guess it's not too bad since the second is going up right away. But if the second part has even more the hooks it would have been cool if they showed the first two hours on TV tonight.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
bc it went to it's umpteeth commercial break and didn't specify the episode was over.
Seriously. I had no idea it was over, but that's mostly because of the damn football game delaying 60 Minutes and not knowing exactly when it started. How long was the show even with all those damn commercials?

Fuck commercials.

iGeodude

The production values were really great, but overall I wasn't impressed. This didn't really feel like Star Trek to me. Instead of having this in the Prime Universe, it should have been the Abrams-verse, with all the lens flares, angled shots, the super clean, metallic bridge, and weird ass, hairless Klingons. As much as I love DS9, this episode had too much conflict among the crew. In most Star Treks, the Captain usually trusts the opinions of their Number One, especially after serving with them for seven years! Anyway I'm not paying for a subscription for this, I'll wait until it's all released then binge watch it with the one week trial. If the show improves after the first episode or becomes more like Star Trek then I'll eat crow.

Xe4

Banned
I saw the first episode and more or less liked it. The production values were fucking insane, and I liked the protagonist. I do hope more characters show up and the show becomes more about the different characters interactions (while also focusing on the main character), like previous Star Trek's.

Also, there were a ton of commercials, which kinda sucked.

Soo... 8/10. I was worried since the review embargo was ridiculous, but it was actually pretty good. Looking forward to more for sure.

^
Agreed.

I'm liking the cast members we've been seeing this episode. Georgiou, Michael and Saru are all interesting I think.

I imagine we'll get to know the others later, but I like these three so far.

Yep, I thought so too.

Starting ep 2 now, sounds like its great!

Some of them had charisma I thought and supposedly the show is all about this. One of the supposed key aspects of the show thanks to the continuous format is character development, none of the characters start where they end up.

Michael showed some glimpses, but everyone else was very stiff. Continuous format isnt necessary to show charisma or character growth. Just look at the original cast and format of Star Trek as a comparison.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
The production values were really great, but overall I wasn't impressed. This didn't really feel like Star Trek to me. Instead of having this in the Prime Universe, it should have been the Abrams-verse, with all the lens flares, angled shots, the super clean, metallic bridge, and weird ass, hairless Klingons. As much as I love DS9, this episode had too much conflict among the crew. In most Star Treks, the Captain usually trusts the opinions of their Number One, especially after serving with them for seven years! Anyway I'm not paying for a subscription for this, I'll wait until it's all released then binge watch it with the one week trial. If the show improves after the first episode or becomes more like Star Trek then I'll eat crow.
It really looked like it fits in the Abrams-verse indeed. The technology is too advanced for the Prime universe. Like way too advanced. At least Enterprise tried to tone it down, but this looks like the Prime universe's advanced technology.

It's the Star Wars Prequel problem all over. At what point in the next 10 years does the universe somehow become less advanced design-wise? When do the Klingons lose those fancy shells? Why are the ships so fancy? It's all too fancy.

But I like it. I mean I guess it's easier to look at. Still, thinking that somehow they're gonna go from that to TOS' super clean and empty and noisy starships or even TNG's beige rounded late-80s inspired ships is breaking my brain. Even the Enterprise E wasn't that advanced. Or that one ship they teased on Voyager as a replacement for Voyager in that one episode that broke into multiple pieces for battle.

They really should have set this after Voyager. Then I wouldn't care about the sudden jump in technology.

Previous

check out my new Swatch
First episode was good. Pacing felt a bit rushed, and some of the dialogue sounded stiff, but mostly a smooth start. Unfortunately the commercial breaks killed a lot of the momentum of the episode for me.

I'll probably use the free trial for the next few episodes, but I'm not gonna keep paying for the service. Hopefully I can buy the episodes on itunes or amazon if that is an option, That would be cheaper in the long run.

Lizzy

Unconfirmed Member
It really looked like it fits in the Abrams-verse indeed. The technology is too advanced for the Prime universe. Like way too advanced. At least Enterprise tried to tone it down, but this looks like the Prime universe's advanced technology.

It's the Star Wars Prequel problem all over. At what point in the next 10 years does the universe somehow become less advanced design-wise? When do the Klingons lose those fancy shells? Why are the ships so fancy? It's all too fancy.

But I like it. I mean I guess it's easier to look at. Still, thinking that somehow they're gonna go from that to TOS' super clean and empty and noisy starships or even TNG's beige rounded late-80s inspired ships is breaking my brain. Even the Enterprise E wasn't that advanced. Or that one ship they teased on Voyager as a replacement for Voyager in that one episode that broke into multiple pieces for battle.

They really should have set this after Voyager. Then I wouldn't care about the sudden jump in technology.
I mean, I guess if your definition of "advanced technology" is "oh hey look at these aesthetics."

Michael showed some glimpses, but everyone else was very stiff. Continuous format isnt necessary to show charisma or character growth. Just look at the original cast and format of Star Trek as a comparison.

Was just saying what they said in, I think it was, in the Comic Con panel I watched on youtube about the topic, about how they were choosing to handle building the characters compared to the old series.

I thought Saru had some too.

No thank you. I prefer my Trek to be about interesting solutions to complicated problems. But instead the main character immediately does the stupidest things imaginable given the situation.

Ponn

Banned
Episode was great, not going to subscribe to another streaming service when I have cable though. That really sucks but it's cold reality, I may get the free month and binge when they are all out but it's not gonna do their service any good.

Top Bottom