• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Trek Online,early 2010,beta around the corner...

WillyFive

XiaNaphryz said:
pvp20100128.png

That was great!

When is the Official Thread coming?

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
WOOT!!

my awesome account page!! said:
Activated Features

* Star Trek Online - Preorder
* Wrath of Khan Admiral's Uniform
* Star Trek Online Lifetime Subscription

just wish I could get a hold of a del taco code.

Bru said:
Do we know if there's going to be penalties for character death in game from now on?

It seemed strange to have zero repercussions as your ship was blown into a million tiny pieces during the Beta.
there has to be... I forgot what ship it is, but you can basically zerg the shit out of things with one of the smaller faster ships with zero death penalty. just as long as it's not debt.......... *shudder*

Just ordered my copy!

No headstart for me though, I do get a DS9 uniform though, which means bugger all to me as I'm not really a Star Trek fan :lol . In fact I watched the first ep of DS9 and found it so bad I didn't watch anymore.

Anywho looking forward to playing the full game next week, although it looks like my Mass Effect 2 won't be arriving till Monday so who knows how much STO I'll end up playing.

Bru said:
Do we know if there's going to be penalties for character death in game from now on?

It seemed strange to have zero repercussions as your ship was blown into a million tiny pieces during the Beta.

Don't you lost crew, which very slow regenerate? Not sure what effect that has but presumably it makes your systems less effective until your crew has regenerated completely.

borghe

randomlyrossy said:
No headstart for me though, I do get a DS9 uniform though, which means bugger all to me as I'm not really a Star Trek fan :lol . In fact I watched the first ep of DS9 and found it so bad I didn't watch anymore.
where did you order it from? online or brick and mortar.. if online you should have your code by sunday at the latest I would think. if brick and mortar, ask them for your pre-order code. The pre-order code that gets(got) you into beta is the same one needed for the headstart.

as for DS9..... at it's best it was honestly up there with the best of TNG. First season is kind of slow.. by second season it got much better and by the end of the third season, DS9 is for my money the best Star Trek on TV... by the time Worf got aboard you couldn't tear me away from the TV every week.

borghe said:
WOOT!!

just wish I could get a hold of a del taco code.

there has to be... I forgot what ship it is, but you can basically zerg the shit out of things with one of the smaller faster ships with zero death penalty. just as long as it's not debt.......... *shudder*

Activated Features

Star Trek Online - Preorder
Wrath of Khan Admiral's Uniform
Star Trek Online Closed Beta
Star Trek Online Lifetime Subscription
Star Trek Online Del Taco Promotion A

Love how it randomly says I have nothing on my account now and then tho... (Also the preorders are amazon.co.uk, direct2drive and gamestop us collectors)

borghe

I'm just doing one more pre-order for the Digital Deluxe.. just trying to decide where to get it from. I want all three uniform sets and the KHHAAANNN emote. oh, and the Joined Trill.

Bru

borghe said:
I forgot what ship it is, but you can basically zerg the shit out of things with one of the smaller faster ships with zero death penalty. just as long as it's not debt.......... *shudder*

Exactly. Without a penalty caution goes out of the window and you end up zipping in close with all guns blazing.

Without some form of dissuading penalty in place (lost crew members are replicated quite quickly IIRC) tactical play can be all but forgot in favour of brute force and respawns. Maybe progressive damage to systems, hull and items would do the trick - damage that could only be repaired at a Star Base?

It'll be interesting to see what's introduced as the game develops.

borghe

hehe... forums have JUST been wiped. Well, I am assuming they'll be wiped as they've been taken down until headstart launch.

Bru said:
Without some form of dissuading penalty in place (lost crew members are replicated quite quickly IIRC) tactical play can be all but forget in favour of brute force and respawns. Maybe progressive damage to systems, hull and items would do the trick - damage that could only be repaired at a Star Base?
so basically WoW. :p Not that I disagree... just sucks that pretty much most MMO developers are stuck either copying what WoW has already perfected or having to be REALLY REALLY REALLY REALLY REALLY REALLY REALLY clever to come up with something new on their own.

Zzoram

Bru said:
Exactly. Without a penalty caution goes out of the window and you end up zipping in close with all guns blazing.

Without some form of dissuading penalty in place (lost crew members are replicated quite quickly IIRC) tactical play can be all but forgot in favour of brute force and respawns. Maybe progressive damage to systems, hull and items would do the trick - damage that could only be repaired at a Star Base?

No death penalty rewards everyone playnig Escourt for maximum DPS and not caring about survivability.

borghe said:
where did you order it from? online or brick and mortar.. if online you should have your code by sunday at the latest I would think. if brick and mortar, ask them for your pre-order code. The pre-order code that gets(got) you into beta is the same one needed for the headstart.

as for DS9..... at it's best it was honestly up there with the best of TNG. First season is kind of slow.. by second season it got much better and by the end of the third season, DS9 is for my money the best Star Trek on TV... by the time Worf got aboard you couldn't tear me away from the TV every week.

Got it from the HMV website, there was no mention of a headstart code or anything so I don't think it's included with this particularly version. If I end up getting a code I'll be pleasantly surprised though and assuming I don't have Mass Effect yet I'll definetly jump on.

None of the Star Trek series have ever done it for me, I've seen eps of pretty much all of them. Now I say that though I remember I did really enjoy the first season or two of Enterprise but that went to shit after a while. I liked it when it was good though. Of course the new movie I adore, it was perfectly done in my opinion. For some reason because I haven't seen mucn, if any, of Voyager I have an urge to give that a watch just to see.

milkham

anyone know how long amazon takes to send you your pre-order key or how long steam takes? i don't want to miss the lifetime sub!

nataku

Bru said:

I think Guild Wars handled the death penalty pretty well. A negative percentage to your health and energy pools, capped at 60%. It went up 15% each death IIRC, and the only way to clear it was either going back to a town or outpost, or killing mobs or bosses.

I'd like to see something similar here. A penalty to hull and shields, making you unable to survive as long. Killing mobs would reduce that penalty by a certain amount each kill. Bosses would reduce it more.

borghe

milkham said:
anyone know how long amazon takes to send you your pre-order key or how long steam takes? i don't want to miss the lifetime sub!
amazon was about a day and a half for me. I pre-ordered Thursday evening and received my code early Saturday morning (like 4am)

milkham said:

I recall everything being fairly instantenous with Steam. I got my beta/pre-order code once it had downloaded in usual Steam fashion.

DoctorWho said:
I recall everything being fairly instantenous with Steam. I got my beta/pre-order code once it had downloaded in usual Steam fashion.

Heard someone say the other day that steam is instant, d2d is instant as well.

watership

Medalion said:
I saw some screenshots couple pages back... wtf why is Coruscant in Star Trek universe?

Heh, that's my shot. Dude. Go look at Earth's Moon. It's the same. There are some crazy-assed planets out there.

Bru

borghe said:
so basically WoW. :p Not that I disagree... just sucks that pretty much most MMO developers are stuck either copying what WoW has already perfected or having to be REALLY REALLY REALLY REALLY REALLY REALLY REALLY clever to come up with something new on their own.

Oh heavens above no! I agree something new and clever would be great especially with the Star Trek setting.

I was just throwing ideas around - maybe Cryptic will leave us with no penalty as such. Just as long as we don't end up with a Steel Battalion style wipe upon death - now that WOULD be nasty ;)

watership

kyo_daikun said:
Activated Features

Wrath of Khan Admiral's Uniform
Star Trek Online Closed Beta
Star Trek Online Lifetime Subscription
Star Trek Online Del Taco Promotion A

Love how it randomly says I have nothing on my account now and then tho... (Also the preorders are amazon.co.uk, direct2drive and gamestop us collectors)

I think gamestop fucked me.

I get this:

Activated Features

* Star Trek Online Open beta access

Nothing else. I asked the guys at the gamestop counter and i was met with totally clueless looks.

borghe

huh? You have Preorder on there (two, actually). That's all you need for the headstart. It's if all you had was the "Open beta access" that you would be screwed.

dbed34

Neo Member
I have seen and actually own every Star Trek series that has ever been made (yes even the cartoon). Not that I'm that much of a Trekkie but I enjoy the concept and really enjoyed the show ... that being said and not that I'm the definitive word on anything here are my impressions for those of you wanting to check out the series in relation to the upcoming game..

OST - this will just give you a good base. Let you see what some of the creatures came from and might let you catch the "inside" jokes that some people say or do.

TNG - This series will have the most relevance to the game (ship design/ uniform look/nonhuman PCs). Above all it was a good series as well (season 2 was somewhat weak and so was season 6 but all in all really good).

DS9 - Again the relevance is there but I must warn people that this series did not get "good" until about midway through season 3 and season 7 was down right horrible as it should have been titled Deep Space Dax. However with that being said if you can power through the first two and half season then the rest of the ride is AWSOME.

Voyager - There is some relevance in ship design and creatures in the game. However it is important to note that this season was created because people began to feel that DS9 was loosing fans because DS9 didn't really explore space, thus Voyager was created and wasn't all that hateful. Not as good as TNG but was a nice change of pace from DS9 even though it aired during a DS9 upswing.

Enterprise - While the show was interesting in its premise I must admit it totally left a sour taste in my mouth from the opening credits when they changed the opening theme. However that being said it isn't really all the relevant to the game play considering the timeline in which this show was based. But if you did like the other series and wanted to just round out your Trek viewing experience, give it a shot.

Then again this is only one person’s opinion. :D

borghe

dbed34 said:
Enterprise - While the show was interesting in its premise I must admit it totally left a sour taste in my mouth from the opening credits when they changed the opening theme. However that being said it isn't really all the relevant to the game play considering the timeline in which this show was based. But if you did like the other series and wanted to just round out your Trek viewing experience, give it a shot.
the last season of Enterprise was ridiculously good. Again, up there with the best of Trek. It's the season that Manny Coto took over. Word of warning though... as you enjoy the beauty of the final season, and then the season/series ends and you see "Hmm... there's still one more episode left... how does that work"... don't watch it. For all the is good and holy don't EVER watch that final episode of Enterprise. Let the series end with Coto's PROPER series finally, and don't let Berman and Braga fuck up the ending to what was possibly the greatest season of Star Trek since Season 6 of DS9, like they did for those of us who watched it on its original airing...

I hope that Steam (if preordered) will trigger the headstart.

Yesterday night I launched the game and Steam or Cryptic didn't apply any limitation (i was able to login the launcher, and even download a small patch), but simply the servers were down.

watership

dbed34 said:
DS9 - Again the relevance is there but I must warn people that this series did not get "good" until about midway through season 3 and season 7 was down right horrible as it should have been titled Deep Space Dax. However with that being said if you can power through the first two and half season then the rest of the ride is AWSOME.

Oh man, I really disagree. Season 1 of DS9 was only 13 episodes long and was uneven. Although it did have a few good episodes, one being the Pilot which was excellent. Season 2 had some truly fantastic episodes including a 3 part episode to launch it off and introducing the Dominion threat slowly through the season. Seven did have to introduce a new Dax, which slowed the first part of the season but it ended in an 8 multi-part arc to the finish.

Okay.. Ds9 defense mode off. :D

DustoMan

Banned
DangerousDave said:
I hope that Steam (if preordered) will trigger the headstart.

Yesterday night I launched the game and Steam or Cryptic didn't apply any limitation (i was able to login the launcher, and even download a small patch), but simply the servers were down.

As long as you downloaded the beta client and activated your pre-order key, you are good to go. It took me a minute to figure it out. After initiating the Star Trek Online - beta download in Steam, there a screen that tells you that an account is required at Cryptc's Star Trek Online site. Clicking the button on that window takes you to the Pre-Order Key page with your pre-order key already filled in and either sign into your Cryptic account from the beta or make an account if you don't have one.

BTW, I don't see this mention yet, but there is a small "headstart" patch that you can download NOW in preparation for the 10:00 AM PST start time.

Bru

30 minutes until play opens in the UK. Just arrived home from work, Friday night starts here!!! \o/

It's going to be interesting to see what changes they've made over the past three days - if any.

borghe

forums are back up (and wiped, thank god). You now need a pre-order/headstart key and active account to post in them (Again, thank god)

watership said:
I think gamestop fucked me.

I get this:

Activated Features

* Star Trek Online Open beta access

Nothing else. I asked the guys at the gamestop counter and i was met with totally clueless looks.

Looks ok to me, means one of those pre orders is your gamestop one, soon as you use your retail key you will get your items.

It used to tell you where your preorder was from but they changed it just before open beta so it doesn't.

Edit: Servers are up guys, 14 minutes early!

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Hey, for peeps with the Steam version - do I need to download the whole client to get the key? I already have the client so I don't want to download it again.

(Steam really needs just a "view key" option for their games).

watership

kyo_daikun said:
Looks ok to me, means one of those pre orders is your gamestop one, soon as you use your retail key you will get your items.

Okay, that makes sense. You'd think the gamestop guys would know that, Sheesh.

StUnNeR H2K said:
I would assume the mass number of people trying to log in is why I get "Loading. Please wait" with the launcher...

Yeah its dead again, I closed it incase it was a bug but the borg character option definetly wasn't there.

TheExodu5

Banned
First rule about MMOs: don't play at the very beginning of the head start. It's a waste of time.
Boot it up later tonight or tomorrow and everything should be peachy.

TheExodu5 said:
First rule about MMOs: don't play at the very beginning of the head start. It's a waste of time.
Boot it up later tonight or tomorrow and everything should be peachy.

Whats the point in even having a head start then?

I know your right but its just.... stupid lol

Won

Just tried to recreat the alien character the random generator gave me at the end of the beta, but I failed. :(
Should have saved some screens with the setup. :lol

I will just press random till I find something similar great then!

StUnNeR H2K said:
In other words it is a BETA Launch.

Hehe pretty much what I was going to say, after 3 months of beta testing I seriously just want to play the damn game!

If any other lifers can confirm whether their borg option is missing it would be appreciated

TheExodu5

Banned
StUnNeR H2K said:
In other words it is a BETA Launch.

Not really.

The thing is, the server farms are set up for an average load size. They can't handle the peak of launch (that would be a waste of money).

gyrspike

Neo Member
Another couple hours of work and I can actually get home and start playing. If anyone wants to team-up I'll be playing pretty much all weekend. Soon as someone gets GAFfleet up and running I'd like to be added. Character is named Anbyr@Gyrspike

Top Bottom