• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Trek Online - Official Announce Trailer | PS4/XB1

Ophelion

When I played it there was literally no reason to ever interact with another player, so yea you can solo it at your own pace.

Yeah, that's kind of sad actually. Fleet actions seem to be the only thing where other players are appreciated. Wish there was a way you could have multiple players manning the same ship, even if that would make you obviously and immediately OP compared to what these encounters expect. Every player having their own ship and crew feels like an uncomfortable remove for something that should have a really tight community experience given the way Star Trek is.

I like this game a lot, actually, but it's not very good at being an MMO.

Bane

The space part of this game is fantastic. The ground part is just okay, I usually jut rush through that stuff to get back to the ship. If my PC stuff carries over, which it damn well should, then I'll give this a try. I'm real curious to see how they made the ship combat work on a controller.

Bizzquik

I will definitely give this a try on Xbox One.

I'm reasonably excited for this, even if it is a port of a (relatively) old PC game.

EuanThePooan

Neo Member
I have a friend who played this for 500 hours on PC, but I think his love for star trek kept him playing rather than the game itself

Sephzilla

We may be witnessing the shortest lived MMO in existence.

5v9he6U.gif

The game has been going for 6 years now...

AgeEighty

Some of the comments in this thread are just puzzling.

STO is a pretty well crafted and fun MMO; it's been going strong on PC for years. It's a new MMO offering on consoles (which Xbox One could use). This is good news. GOOD news.

Karu

So random.

If nothing else, I will try it out for sure, though. There's not enough Star Trek going on in the world right now...

Somnia

Cross platform play or I ain't touching it.

Console MMOs without cross play are ghost towns.

Always been bit interested in this though. Was a big trek guy

Uh Elder Scrolls Online isn't a ghost town, Neverwinter (on xb1 at least, but haven't played in a few months) isn't a ghost town. DC Universe seems to not be a ghost town on either console either.

I would prefer cross platform play obviously, but doubt it'll happen.

I wonder if I can transfer my character over...I don't want to start again even though I'm not very far in the MMO, I play it sparingly but I'm close to 30 hours in I think.

cyress8

Banned
When I played it when it first came out, it was pretty good. The ground game was pretty janky, but the space part was pretty great. Dealing with your shields and power during battles added some needed depth.

Also, I wished it felt more open. The game is heavily instanced and the instances were very small for anything on the ground. Space was just a tad bit better.

shandy706

As long as the "f2p" isn't like that DC Universe trash.

I still haven't figured out if I can even play that game for free without waiting 2 1/2 hours in a queue?!!!

Cornbread78

Of course we get Star Trek, but Ever quest gets cancelled... I want my f2p RPG mmo.

Hopefully, all the Trekking out there enjoy it.

Walshicus

Good stuff, really glad this got them to redo the UI code.

Really keen to see how much better this looks with the update.

For those new to the game, don't forget to drop by the community OT or join the fleets (GAFleet for Feds and House of Gaf for Klingons). The game has a VERY generous F2P model so give it a whirl.

Iorv3th

Wow this came out 6 years ago? I remember playing the beta and it had a really good character creator at the time.

Lucifon

I'd love to see SWTOR ported to consoles. Feels like it would breathe a ton of life into it. Alas, doesn't seem to be happening.

I genuinely thought this game died years ago though.

TyrantII

Yeah, this is a 6 year old game that's been ported to console.

How old is Eve? WoW? WW2Online?

MMORPGs are games as a service.

It's not a 6 year old game. It's a game that started 6 years ago, and is frequently updated with content and new tech...

DrDogg

In this thread; people shit talking an actually really good Star Trek experience.

I look forward to trying this out on PS4. Do we know if it's the same servers? Can we use our PC accounts?

Cross platform play or I ain't touching it.

Console MMOs without cross play are ghost towns.

Always been bit interested in this though. Was a big trek guy

Pretty much all of this. Since I never touched the PC version I almost want it to be separate servers with no account transfer. However, I also know that console MMOs don't generally go all that well without a shared PC server to help the player population.

I'm okay either way they want to go with it, but it would be nice to know what's going on, especially with the new MS open policy of a shared multiplayer experience between PS4 and X1.

Yoshi88

Good stuff, really glad this got them to redo the UI code.

Really keen to see how much better this looks with the update.

For those new to the game, don't forget to drop by the community OT or join the fleets (GAFleet for Feds and House of Gaf for Klingons). The game has a VERY generous F2P model so give it a whirl.

Will there be a separate community OT for the console versions? Separate Gaf fleets?

I was never really deep into the MMO aspect while playing it 2 years ago, but that could change, now that i'll get spec-independent access to the game with more than 15 fps.

WillyFive

I always thought this game would be better as single player instead of an MMO, since it always felt like a single player game.

I mean, it's F2P and there aren't really any ST games out there anymore (aside from mobile puzzles). So everyone interested in the franchise should at least give it a shot. If just for experiencing walking on bridge designs, you've never seen before, talking to famous characters and enjoying the atmosphere in Boothbys garden at the academy. You know, the little things good ST games were famous for (talking about Elite Force 1/2, Bridge Commander here).

Can't speak too much about it's qualitys as an MMO nowadays, but it's a hell of a Star Trek experience.

To add to this: I find the experience gets better when you've specifically customise your crew a little. Because sometimes the dialogue that gets attached to them (as the game does use your crew for NPC dialogue and exposition) really feels in character and that you're basically playing your own Star Trek show.

Also yes, the ship combat actually feels really good.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Looks extremely bland and dull. After playing Uncharted 4 I would not want to play this even as a Star Trek fan. I'll wait for Star Citizen or Mass Effect Andromeda to get my space fix.

I...think I'm actually more fond of this then the Mass Effect games, honestly. The level of "quest design" is about the same and there's a lot more freedom and customization, all Mass Effect has going for it is polish which is...important, but not as important as some other stuff to me

Played it many, MANY, many years ago. It was alright at the time, but kinda stopped playing once I got my first crewmember and sadly it was race & gender locked so I couldn't change it into a female of my choice & design.

I wonder how much of the PC version survives into the console version. I want to customize my crew all over again, and they better not be gender locked this time! I want an all female crew for my USS Waifu-prise.

Not hyped for this. I am a massive star trek fan and would love a new star trek game but not an mmo. Gimme a new star trek with single player, in unreal 4, where I can explore the galaxy without some always online loot grind.

Merge star trek 25th anniversary with fps/tps new engine and mix it up with mass effect style rpg and I'm in day one (totally unrealistic I know but I can dream!!)

For the MP have cross platform play with races tied to each platform in a massive interstellar war. Ps4 the federation, Xbox the klingons, and pc as the borg and lets have a scrap!! :)

Yoshi88

Not hyped for this. I am a massive star trek fan and would love a new star trek game but not an mmo. Gimme a new star trek with single player, in unreal 4, where I can explore the galaxy without some always online loot grind.

Merge star trek 25th anniversary with fps/tps new engine and mix it up with mass effect style rpg and I'm in day one (totally unrealistic I know but I can dream!!)

For the MP have cross platform play with races tied to each platform in a massive interstellar war. Ps4 the federation, Xbox the klingons, and pc as the born and lets have a scrap!! :)

Just play it as you would play a singleplayer game. The stories in the episodes (complete continuation of Post-Nemesis ST including new wars, alliances, discoveries and many callbacks to specific episodes) and the atmosphere are so worth it, if you're into Trek.

How does it play? I never got into it on PC.

More like Academy, or is it like that terrible ship combat game that came out a few years back and limited the Z-axis to a small plane in space.

It does bear some resemblance to Legacy in that you control your ship from the outside, and can't completely flip your ship, but its faster paced and more fluid about it - ie, you can really dive your ship if you want to. You get a variety of abilities based on your assigned bridge officers, and you can customise your ship's weapons with tradeoffs of firing arc vs damage vs effects. So phasers for example have a really wide ship arc, meaning the most effective thing is to go along broadside so you have both arcs brought to bear - but, you'll need to angle around a bit to fire off torpedoes when shields are done, since those are very much forward or back-facing weapons.

Admittedly, I think its also less jarring than other MMOs, and hell even itself, in terms of a combat experience - ships don't have conflicting animation cycles or fail to react when they get hit by an attack.

Just play it as you would play a singleplayer game. The stories in the episodes (complete continuation of Post-Nemesis ST including new wars, alliances, discoveries and many callbacks to specific episodes) and the atmosphere are so worth it, if you're into Trek.

To be fair I'm only just checking out the existing game now and it looks ok. My heart sank at a mmo lol

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
Wonder if my PC login will carry over. Paid for a lifetime sub at launch.

For those who have never played... It's a fair representation of Star Trek (for fans).

As a ground based traditional MMO... pretty average. Not horrible. Not mind blowing.

The starship combat is incredible in recreating combat from the classic shows.

really it is the starship combat (capital ship) that carries my love/interest for the game. So beautifully done. Overall a solid f2p title that does f2p microstransactions well enough (unlike DCUO) that you can hop in and out with very little cost and enjoy the game every once in a while.

Afrikan

oh sheeeeet!

Looking forward to it!

also first rely was totally unnecessary, dude seems like an attention whore.

This looks...terrible, its like going backwards 5-7 years, and the animations look 10 years old. I cant see how they believe this will work.

Top Bottom