• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Trek Online - Official Announce Trailer | PS4/XB1

shandy706

This looks...terrible, its like going backwards 5-7 years, and the animations look 10 years old. I cant see how they believe this will work.

200_s.gif

Bane

It'll be interesting to see what they did to the UI. I remember reading a while back that the UI was a complete cluster fuck of coding and a resource hog.

You can ignore most of the MMO aspects of the game pretty easily. Like, you might not even realise were it not for the other people running around in maps.

Which they're generally not, other than at a couple of hotspots, lol.

Anyway, will give this a shot on X1. Really enjoy it on PC, though I'm kind of skeptical about how well the controls and UI will work, my hotbars are a MESS.

I really dont normally comment about them, but there's a shit ton of just plain moronic posts in this thread regarding the game. Quite dis-heartening.

Cant wait to give this a try, been a life long fan ever since I grew up with TNG, the GOAT.

Nice to see the GOAT Sovereign class repping in the video as well.
Shame its fall tho, could do with something to dabble in every so often.

Juraash

Seems like a very odd choice to bring to consoles. I played this a lot for the first couple of years when it was out on PC and while space combat was fun, ground combat was iffy and it didn't feel very Star Trek. It felt like.....something else with a coat of Trek themed paint on it I guess. Despite it being Star Trek, a lot of it boiled down to "shoot this alien".

I popped back on it a year or two ago and it had, what seemed like, 10 different currencies all for various levels of bullshit. So much had changed I kind of just noped out of there. Hopefully some of my complaints were addressed...somewhere in there. I might give it a shot on PS4, especially if I can tap into my old account.

Bane

I really dont normally comment about them, but there's a shit ton of just plain moronic posts in this thread regarding the game. Quite dis-heartening.

Cant wait to give this a try, been a life long fan ever since I grew up with TNG, the GOAT.

Oh, I don't know I think it's kind of funny to see people who know fuck all about what they're commenting on being smug about things.

And while I agree with your sentiments about the Sovereign, the ship in the video is an Odyssey class. A couple of years back CBS held a contest for someone to design the Enterprise F. The Odyssey is what came of it, which is why it looks so similar to the Sovereign. On a related note, I still rock a (slightly modded) Sovereign in the game, by far my favorite starfleet design.

Par Score

The space combat in this was some of the best MMO combat out there at launch, and not too far behind what the best of Star Trek has to offer (it's like an action-y, hotbar based Starfleet Command, and Starfleet Command is damn good).

The ground game was garbage at launch, legitimately some of the worst stuff I've ever had the misfortune to play, but even that's meant to have improved over the years.

Also, it's free. If you give even half a fuck about Start trek it's at least worth your time to give it a shot.

krang

I played a bit during the PC beta. It was decent, but I fear this is just a way of scraping the last bit of money from a dying MMO.

Jackpot

Banned
I got all the way up to a Galaxy class on this.

I hate MMOs but this is the most singleplayer-like MP game ever. Could have had their own Mass Effect if they weren't so focused on chasing the perpetual income MMOs can give.

edit:

That's not the Sovereign class, that's the fan-designed Enterprise-F (Odyssey class)

Oh, I don't know I think it's kind of funny to see people who know fuck all about what they're commenting on being smug about things.

And while I agree with your sentiments about the Sovereign, the ship in the video is an Odyssey class. A couple of years back CBS held a contest for someone to design the Enterprise F. The Odyssey is what came of it, which is why it looks so similar to the Sovereign. On a related note, I still rock a (slightly modded) Sovereign in the game, by far my favorite starfleet design.

Lol, yea, it seems to be a trend on GAF at the moment.

Shit, is it? Looks strikingly similar lol.
Amuses me that someone designed the F and it just ended up being a modded Sovereign lol

Lagamorph

The space combat in this was some of the best MMO combat out there at launch, and not too far behind what the best of Star Trek has to offer (it's like an action-y, hotbar based Starfleet Command, and Starfleet Command is damn good).

The ground game was garbage at launch, legitimately some of the worst stuff I've ever had the misfortune to play, but even that's meant to have improved over the years.

Also, it's free. If you give even half a fuck about Start trek it's at least worth your time to give it a shot.

The ground based combat is still garbage. They've made some improvements, including a semi-TPS type mode, but it's still pretty bad really.

The space combat is still excellent however, and this is one of the more story focused MMOs out there. There's easily what could be considered a full single player campaign experience here with pretty much no requirement to actually pay any money towards anything.

Personally I bought a Lifetime sub way back when the original game launched and I never regretted it once.
Unless my account can be carried over to the PS4 version and shared between the two ala FFXIV though, I doubt I'll play on anything but PC.

Trigger

I could see myself picking up again with my old character. The game was pretty easy to play alone, and I really enjoyed managing a ship.

CorrisD

badchoiceboobies
I was quite into this for a good few months a couple years back, my laptop never ran it that well so once I hit max level and hit the grind the stability issues I was having was too much. I don't PC game much at all so it wasn't worth investing for me to not play much.

I played it mostly as a single player experience though besides when I couldn't, which was only for other stuff besides the main missions. And being part of the clan it was always enjoyable space battling with other guys on gaf. I wonder if they ever completely finished the fleet station.

So I'll totally give this a go again, I wonder if they will allow PC accounts to cross over or if they are going to start from scratch, have they said? I would love to continue where I left off, at the same time I would love to start again with everyone else.

Ophelion

Do they still use those VO's with Leonard Nimoy? I don't know if I want those to stay or not. Every time it happens, I'm simultaneously very happy and very sad. It's certainly distracting from the game I'm playing though.

Jolkien

Do they still use those VO's with Leonard Nimoy? I don't know if I want those to stay or not. Every time it happens, I'm simultaneously very happy and very sad. It's certainly distracting from the game I'm playing though.

I assume they kept those in. Why would they remove his work ? It's a great way to remember him and it'd be terrible to replace his lines. Do you want every well known VO to be redone or remove when their actors dies ? That seems so alien to me.

Near, love Star Trek, and F2P makes it a guaranteed try at least.

What's the bulk of the gameplay involve though? Do you get to do mostly exploration, story/character driven quests and science stuff, or is it more gameified, run and gun third person shooting and grinding?

Seems odd, legit the only thing I've ever heard about it is that Jeff Gertsmann has mentioned a few times that he has a life time sub to it. Is it EVE knock off or something?

Zaphod

Some friends and I used to play a ton of this after it went free to play. I had fun and never spent a dime. I should log back in sometime.

SJRB

Gold Member
I have never heard of this game. It looks archaic, but if it's fun I'll give it a shot.

So at 1:14 there's a line-up of [mostly] Voyager cast, can you get them as crew or something? That would be pretty neat.

The concept of releasing an MMO on a console has always seemed odd to me. Anyone who enjoys an MMO plays nothing else but that game. If I was sony or Microsoft id keep MMOs as far away from my system as possible. Buying just one game in 3 years would kinda be disappointing as an attach rate.

The concept of releasing an MMO on a console has always seemed odd to me. Anyone who enjoys an MMO plays nothing else but that game. If I was sony or Microsoft id keep MMOs as far away from my system as possible. Buying just one game in 3 years would kinda be disappointing as an attach rate.

Tales from your ass versions 4?

This is complete bullshit. Plenty of MMO players player other games. I like WoW and STO and I play plenty of games from Halo to God of War to Super Meat Boy to Mortal Kombat and plenty of gamers are like me.

People who enjoy MMOs often spend a large number of hours playing there games in comparison to other genres. If there playing those games there not playing other games which sony or Microsoft could benefit from. No need to be so angry and defensive , very odd reply.

Delio

Ah I remember playing the PC Beta with the Gaf Fleet back in the day. Still remember flying my Cruiser on ahead and tanking damage so the little guys could zoom around potshotting people to death. I'd totally play again on console.

Ophelion

I assume they kept those in. Why would they remove his work ? It's a great way to remember him and it'd be terrible to replace his lines. Do you want every well known VO to be redone or remove when their actors dies ? That seems so alien to me.

I don't know. It's just a little reminder he's gone every time. Then I'm bummed. That's all. I don't expect anything, but it does kind of harsh my gaming buzz a little bit, I dunno.

Bane

Near, love Star Trek, and F2P makes it a guaranteed try at least.

What's the bulk of the gameplay involve though? Do you get to do mostly exploration, story/character driven quests and science stuff, or is it more gameified, run and gun third person shooting and grinding?

It's a mix, really. You'll have side missions where you just go explore a planet or star system to just scan things then sometimes you'll have actual combat in space and/or on the ground. The main missions are broken up into seasons that have overarching stories dealing with certain races. These tend to have a bit more combat focus (at least the ones I've played, I'm not super far in) but I'd not classify it a run and gun. It's still an rpg at heart so you can choose a class which governs what abilities you get then assemble ship crews and away teams around that.

For example, with my captain I took the Tactical career path which means I'm DPS. So I walk around with a gatling phaser blasting fools (not super Star Treky, I know) while my away team handles other jobs. You can also pick to be an Engineering officer that focuses on healing or tanking, or a Science officer that deals in buffs and debuffs. And those fields apply to both ground and ship abilities.

NastyBook

No one asked for this.
*Busts you down to Ensign, sticks you in a Runabout, transports it to the Delta Quadrant*
Now you have time to reflect on this first post.

After hearing about what happens to the massive fleet of Dominion ships that got stuck in the wormhole on DS9, I've been interested in this game. And Free to Play? In the words of Worf after speaking to Kahless "It will be GLORIOUS."

That's... actually neat. I can't invest myself in a MMORPG anymore, but as it's F2P I'll check it out. I miss NG Star Trek.

Also there's no space exploration stuff on PS4 currently, though NMS will be out before this.

Top Bottom