• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Trek TNG's "Parallels"

Rookhelm

To this day, I do not get how Generations introduces a plot where they wipe out Picard's only remaining family, then introduce a time travel plot, but ... DON'T have him save them? Or even contemplate doing so?

They overlooked the obvious in order to sell the "cherish every moment" theme. In a movie about time travel lol.

Sephzilla

To this day, I do not get how Generations introduces a plot where they wipe out Picard's only remaining family, then introduce a time travel plot, but ... DON'T have him save them? Or even contemplate doing so?

Shit, I never thought about this.

Picard could have went back to save his family, stop Soran, save the Enterprise-D, and wouldn't need Kirk either! Then Q would show up at the end and be like "very clever, Jean-Luc"

Imbarkus

As Sartre noted in his contemplation on Hell in No Exit, the true horror is other members.
Any scene with Riker commanding the Enterprise I'm a fan of....

Me too. I read that first Titan novel, seemed like a good start but I heard the series degraded.

Along those lines, I'd watch a Borg Apocalypse alternate universe piece. I'd watch a Star Trek anthology show birthed from the multiverse premise of Parallels, really. In a way, a two season run of something like that, is what the idea most needs: a sketch phase with a lot if ideas thrown at the board.

Then, pick the best and launch the long-term series off that. Mirror Universe episodes were always really popular. It could be great if it had a Black Mirror quality and edge to it, or it could degrade into Star Trek: Sliders.

I watched Star Trek: Renegades last night, and it was pretty darn fan-fic-y, but it was actually probably better written than either Generations or Into Darkness. :|

Thaedolus

Gold Member
This thread put the Generations theme in my head and that's not a bad thing

Also best series moment is stoned Picard drawing a happy face in a static gas cloud

Sephzilla

at some point the EU gave it to Data. That seemed to be just a jumping off point for Star Trek Online...i don't know if any Novels ever came of this.

The Star Trek: Countdown comic book (prequel to the 2009 reboot) is where it's established that Data becomes captain of the Enterprise-E after Picard steps down.

Thaedolus

Gold Member
The Star Trek: Countdown comic book (prequel to the 2009 reboot) is where it's established that Data becomes captain of the Enterprise-E after Picard steps down.

So does the perfectly obvious resurrection angle Nemesis put in place making his sacrifice null and void before it even happens come to pass?

Benhur

I can't believe I'm about to defend this movie, but I think the point was you have to take the L once and a while, hence Picard not going back to rescue his family. Remember, the only reason Picard utilizes the Nexus is to set things back to normal; to prevent Soran from destroying a solar system in order to take advantage of the Nexus.

Rookhelm

So does the perfectly obvious resurrection angle Nemesis put in place making his sacrifice null and void before it even happens come to pass?

Yeah...I think the implication is that "B4" gets all of Data's memories (or something) and effectively becomes Data again, and future captain of the Enterprise.

The theme with time is that you have to enjoy the moments in life you're given because it will end someday and won't come again. So saving them would run contrary to that theme. Picard would also be bound by the temporal prime directive. So it would just be creating a plot cul de sac. Great. Now I'm defending tge movie.

It's not the quantity it's the amount I dropped tear at her performance.

I hate Troi episodes but it's hard not to feel Lwaxannas pain in that episode. I don't even have kids but could totally understand her not wanting to forgive herself for the death of her child.

Guys, remember the time they ended Season 2 with a clip show episode?

You can't blame them for a writer's strike. Well, maybe you can. They were probably better off not doing anything. I'm sure it all had to do with syndication or actor contracts though.

Z3M0G

Parallel episodes were so great. I loved them in DS9, which had one episode per season with its own long-term plot.

I always liked this episode, but I've always been a Worf fan. But this thread reminded me of that crazy pants episode with the masks. Man season 7 had some weird shit.

Sotha_Sil

Not sure why people dislike this episode? Always thought it was pretty good.

Riker's borg moment was the highlight. We don't get to see Starfleet officers pushed to such levels of desperation very often - even in DS9's war arc.

I would rather a clean slate approach. Not even a Kelvin-verse "oh the timeline diverged at so-and-so" but a reimagining from the beginning without being a slave to any preexisting continuity at all. Back to the core of what Star Trek can be with a mixture of weekly plots and overarching continuity.

I'm in total agreement here. What with the the different universes we've experienced (prime/mirror/kelvin), Star Trek's timeline at this point is more complicated than The Legend of Zelda's. Star Trek needs a hard reboot, with all new characters not beholden to existing mythos or events and able to go in directions natural to the stories they want to tell without worrying about continuity.

The only TNG episodes I actually don't like are the Troi's mom episodes. Even those can be sort of dumb fun, though.
I agree with this. The Mom episodes were always kinda lecherous but I did enjoy watching Picard squirm under her advances.

The thing I loved about some of the parallel universes shown here is that in my mind it makes my favourite comic Trek crossover with Doctor Who where Worf wants to eat fish people canon

https://www.instagram.com/p/BKJ1oYuDUOM/

Rikers grin kills me every time.

In this dimension Enterprise wasn't cancelled at Season 4 and concluded naturally at Season 8, culminating in the battle between Archer and
Corrupt Future Archer, also known as the Future Guy
Was so good. Want to sit down and watch my ultimate collector's edition with 17 hours of bonus features?

Spoiler Reference High Five!

In this dimension Enterprise wasn't cancelled at Season 4 and concluded naturally at Season 8, culminating in the battle between Archer and
Corrupt Future Archer, also known as the Future Guy
Was so good. Want to sit down and watch my ultimate collector's edition with 17 hours of bonus features?
I don't think he was necessarily
corrupt
but wanted to stop the Federation from becoming so in the future. Maybe that would have borne fruit had it played out another year or two.

Edit: I thought the thread was about how often and our favorite parallel universe crossing over episodes, like the time someones son came from a parallel universes future.

Its not a parallel universe episode but I saw the Rashomon episode for the first time today.

The trial is held on the holodeck to create the stories the people tell of what happened and its great.

Top Bottom