• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars 7 isn't better than the PT. ( OBVIOUS SPOILERS )

Status
Not open for further replies.

Angel_DvA

This kind of thread will pop as soon as the insane amount of hype will deflate because right now, people are enthusiast about a new Star Wars on screen and it was the same for me, I have to admit I was curious about the movie from the trailers ( who most of them were lies and nice editing ). 10 years without a SW movie is very long but let's be honest here, the movie could have be good but it's a surely a bad Star Wars movie.

At first, the movie started really well, all the Jakku part was good but the more the movie continue, the more the flaws and issues appeared, there is simply no screenplay stake, there is no goal, no threat, no nothing, the First Order isn't really menacing, Kylo Ren was destroyed by the end of the movie by Disney non sense, the new generation of characters are bland, useless and uninteresting etc... but let's get in like we should:

Narrative coherence:

There is simply none, the Republic and the First Order should be inverted, the Empire loses in episode 6 and the First Order was born from the ashes of the Empire, they shouldn't have the army role here, they should be the resistance, that doesn't make sense at all and what about the actual resistance ? are they really struggling against the First Order and Kylo Ren ? the man who loses against some random stormtroopers or a noobie girl who touched a light saber for the first time ?

How could Kylo Ren, the master of the Knights of Ren who could stop a laser blast, not deviated it, just stopped it in the air, couldn't take the one after Chewy screamed like a beast ? How this powerful dude could lose against Rey ? how can Finn could even touch him after losing himslef against a random Stormtrooper ? what's threat this man is suppose to bring now ? but we'll talk about power differences in a minute.

What about Luke Lightsaber ? how could Maze find it on Bespin ? I know she used the Destiny trick, I could tell you but there is no time now... Damn CGI characters, they're all evil. I wish Luke light Saber was in some mystical place, recovered by Maze and put on a Jedi temple that was on this planet that could have served as a quest for Rey, What a such important thing was in a chest on a cave at a random Cantina lol.

Characters:

Finn:

Who's this dude? like seriously, people have told me that he was a good actor, but the dude is as bland as his character, the worst character in all the saga, the man is totally useless and just serve as a plot device for liberating Po at the beginning or at a comedic standpoint, no one care about his character and the last shot of him resume all the character for me, the dude gets destroyed from the beginning, dude is a coward who betray the stormtroopers because he somehow remember he has a heart while being indoctrinated since he was a child, got taken down by Rey when he comes to Jakku, get grabbed by a CGI monster, get absolutely destroyed by a random Stormy while holding Luke saber and the same Boyega could touch Kylo Ren that is supposed to be 10 times more powerful than any Stormtrooper ? lmao I just can't at this point. I won't talk about him being friend-zoned at the end by Rey, dude couldn't even have a real kiss at the end, it's like JJ was joking about his character and show him totally KO at the end of the movie with all he took in the face from the movie...

Do you really want to follow this dude again in Episode 8 ? not really.

Rey

The perfect Mary Sue, her character is absolutely the reflect of the cinema for the last 5 years now when all the girls have to be more powerful than boys for a reason but she failed as a character where Furiosa on Mad Max succeed.

She obviously follows the same path as Luke Skywalker in a New Hope but her growth as a hero isn't as compelling and believable that it was for Luke, not because she's a girl but because it's too fast, too powerful and she never had someone to train her, she already is a Jedi, she can already do everything a Jedi can do and learned it in less than a day, Force pull, mind trick, light saber combat, mind counter attack etc... that's why people are wrong, she's not meeting Luke for finishing her training, she's here to train Luke.

What ever happen to her in the next movie, there is nothing that can change how it end, she will lose to Kylo Ren at episode 8 and win on episode 9 because they can't do something else, uninteresting...

Po:

The best new character from the new cast as an ally, too bad his character has so poor screen time, it's maybe why the character is likable for now, nothing to say about him besides the fact that is arrogant and funny for now, will have to wait for more screen time to see if his character can steal the show or fall flat like the others.

Leia:

I did a little summary about her character, but when I read it again, it was 90% about her looks and not really about her character so I move on, there is nothing to say about her character, time has passed, she's still the leader of the resistance even if she won 40 years ago, she doesn't seem to care about Han death when she felt it and don't give a shit about Chewie feels and prefer take Rey who knew Han for a day in her arms...

being old is a terrible thing.

Han Solo:

The savior of the movie, even if he's too old and we don't believe his action scene now, dude still has it, damn Han was good, I can feel the nostalgia when met the Faulcon again, I could take his joke but I couldn't take his death, just wtf ? there is no way they should have killed him that way...

Han Solo is a myth and shouldn't have lost his life like that, if they really wanted to kill him, they should have waited for episode 8, built more climax, give him a heroic moment before he loses his life and what the fuck happened with Leia and the other ? fucking Han Solo died and no one gives a shit about it ? they were all celebrating and shit, Qui Gon Jinn had a funeral, even Darth Vader had one too but no tribute for Han Solo, just wtf Disney...

Catpain Phasma:

Kylo Ren:

The best new character until the middle of the movie, he's just everything Disney can't do well, a good bad guy, Kylo Ren had everything at the beginning, the look, the force, the body language, EVERYTHING but everything turned to shit when he captured Rey, the face reveal was the worst thing ever, he loses about someone who just start to discover the force in a mind game, he takes a shot by a screaming chewie when he could stop a fire blaster in his back at the beginning, get touched by the loser Finn and lose against Rey who grabbed her light saber for the first time... at this point, the character is pretty much dead for the public, no one will care about what he's doing from now on, we know that he will finish his training and beat Rey the next time to lose on episode 9... the real deception to me becquse it's the best character from the movie and have a better character development than Vader in Ep 4.

Musics:

it's the worst of the series, I couldn't even remembered one single theme from this movie, I know John Williams is ill so he probably wasn't at his best and after everything he did, I give him a pass.

Realization:

The movie lacks in the creative department, there is nothing new, no new ideas, no risks at all, the movie lacks the most importance thing to me and it's the ambiance, all the scenes happen to quickly, there is no time to just take a moment to breath, to just take a moment to enjoy the beautiful univers Star Wars is, like when Luke was on Tatooine thinking about his future with John Williams best scores on the back looking at the sunset, there was a real plot to follow, a real menace at the time, likable characters which I want to follow and not asking myself why they're so transparent on screen like Boyega.

Do you remember in ESB when everyone was sad about what happened to Solo and the promise to a new adventure on the next episode, what's the promise in Episode 7 ? what's the plot ? what character do you want to follow ? Where's the menace ? what the First Order is suppose to go from now on, with Star Killer being destroy and a weak commander at the head of their future ? whatever...

Sure the movie isn't the worst thing ever, the casting is pretty good, some plans are wonderful, the photography and the DA are everything I wanted for a Star Wars movie, some dialogues are really good and there is some fun moments but the movie really lacks for the most important things for me, likable characters that we want to follow, see their evolution into something that are bigger than them, I want to be surprised, to feel the menace the First Order have brought to the Universe and not in the state they are at the moment etc... Sure I could have talked about way more problems like the copy past script or the lack of credibility the map bring to the movie or the fact that the republic is even more useless than ever etc... but it will be a waste of space, everyone already sees that.

In the PT, even if Darth Maul died pretty quickly, we always knew that the real menace was Anakin and that force us to watch the other episode to see what will happen to him, but now there is nothing on SW7 that force us to do the same, I'm sure I'm in the minority right now because it always how it works, but just wait some months when the hype will deflate and see people tearing apart the movie, Disney really need to step up their games if they really want to even touch the ankle of the OT.

Especially with how quickly the episode 8 will arrive, just one year and Half, the movie will be rush to surf on the hype and will be probably even worse, the next one will be make by Rian Johnson, the man who made Looper and The Brothers Bloom... just WTF ? JJ has a style but what this dude have ? nothing at all, damn I really feel that the Ep 8 and 9 will be even more terrible, I think nobody will ever make a movie as good as the OT, even Lucas can't even do it, I guess will see what's next pretty soon.

What do you guys think ?

enigmatic_alex44

Whenever a game uses "middleware," I expect mediocrity. Just see how poor TLOU looks.
Obviously not, Revenge of the Sith is still the best Star Wars film.

Force Awakens sits comfortably at #3 though, right behind Empire Strikes Back. The problem with Episode VII was incredibly poor villains comprated to Palpatine, Dooku and Grievous.

k4eB2iA.gif

Peru

The Mary Sue complaint has to rank as the dumbest shit I've seen harped about on the internet all year. She's good and has the force, but is otherwise a conflicted, uncertain, thoroughly human character played beautifully and naturally. Certainly the opposite of the many colgate smile perfectm male superheroes who have never had the mary sue thing thrown at them.

Other than that the title of the thread summarizes how completely wrong you are about this movie.

If you really think Darth Maul was a more interesting character than Kylo Ren, I have nothing to say to you.

The Mary Sue complaint has to rank as the dumbest shit I've seen harped about on the internet all year. She's good and has the force, but is otherwise a conflicted, uncertain thoroughly human character played beautifully and naturally. Certainly not as colgate smile perfect as all the male superheroes who have never had the mary sue thing thrown at her.

Other than that the title of the thread summarizes how completely wrong you are about this movie.

It pisses me off. Heaven forbid a girl get to be the typical awesome movie hero that people have no problems with when it's a dude.

Force Awakens sits comfortably at #3 though, right behind Empire Strikes Back. The problem with Episode VII was incredibly poor villains comprated to Palpatine, Dooku and Grievous.

d2ZbxMT9PxtWozTy.gif

(Getting a lot of milage out of this gif recently.)

Absolutely disgusting. Also, I don't see how people can think Rots is a a good movie. The only redeeming quality of the movie is that it puts an end to terrible PT.

Kylo Ren is the best villain in any Star Wars movie. He has depth, motivation, and purpose to his actions.

Angel_DvA

Leia knew the instant Han died, and they showed that...

and we haven't seen any emotion in her face, it's maybe because it can't move anymore, the most awkward thing is passing near Chewie without even a word to him to go hugging Rey, it was ridiculous.

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
Gaf has lots of threads started by people with objectively incorrect opinions. This thread is no different.

(Getting a lot of milage out of this gif recently.)

That dude mentions that he thinks ROTS is the best star wars film in like every star wars thread. You just learn to roll with it and laugh.

ultron87

Mad that the male character is too weak and doesn't get a kiss. Mad that the female character is too powerful. Primary thing had to say about Leia was looks.

Uh huh.

Dascu

I think you will look back at this thread at some point in the future and realize you were overreacting.

Tambini

How is Finn the worst character in the saga?

Worse than Jar Jar? Worse than those things from the beginning of phantom menace? That CG 50s diner guy with 4 arms? Kid Anakin? Older Anakin?

Fj0823

Ok you know what? I like 3 better than 7. I admit it. There's lots of good stuff in 3 that I didn't find in 7.

However the prequels include 1 and 2, and while I enjoy them, they're far from perfect. 7 does a lot of things better than 1 & 2, even if 1 established its characters better.

So no, I don't agree with you, the prequels are 3 movies not a single one. And 7 is far better than 2 of them for me.

Eidan

I can't think of a single thing that the prequels did better than Force Awakens. Maybe the score. That's about it.

But writing, characters, direction, cinematography, action...they were all better than anything seen in the prequels. It's not even really close.

sphagnum

Banned
Good luck, friend.

For what it's worth I think it's a better composed film except for some of the really bizarre editing choices, but that it lacks the creativity of the prequels. Execution is better, characters are more enjoyable, story is worse. Still a lot of fun.

Zabka

Yeah, Dooku and Grievous were great. Remember that time when Dooku...flew that..solar ship thing. And when Grievous...died. Great!

Soapbox Killer

Grand Nagus
I agree that Sith is a better Star Wars movie, but Awakens is a better stand alone movie outside of the over all narrative.

Crazy talk I know.

Carbonox

This is the same line of thinking as those that believe Phantom Menace is a better film than Empire Strikes Back. Are you that same type of person? Cos this is that thought tier.

Rey is a Mary Sue but is one of the few enjoyable Mary Sues out there. Finn is a fun and refreshing character. I totally agree with your paragraph on narrative coherence though

Eidan

The Mary Sue complaint has to rank as the dumbest shit I've seen harped about on the internet all year. She's good and has the force, but is otherwise a conflicted, uncertain, thoroughly human character played beautifully and naturally. Certainly the opposite of the many colgate smile perfectm male superheroes who have never had the mary sue thing thrown at them.

A-fucking-men.

Angel_DvA

If you really think Darth Maul was a more interesting character than Kylo Ren, I have nothing to say to you.

it's definitely not what I said, I said we don't care about Darth Maul losing because he never was the real threat on the prequel and the emperor talk about a new apprentice when Rey is the master of Ren, there is no one behind him.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
Yes it is, because it has characters with personality. TFA has plenty of structural problems and adheres to closely to the formula of ANH but it is still an exciting adventure with fun characters. There was nothing exciting about the prequels and their terribly acted cardboard characters.

There isn't one scene in the prequel trilogy that compares to the emotion of THAT scene from TFA. Not one.

Tabris

I feel pity for those that can't feel joy watching something like The Force Awakens. I had a smile from here to here the entire time. It was magic.

You've lost that loving feeling.

You should spend more time analyzing yourself then the movie to figure out why you can't feel joy :)

Calling Finn the worst character in all the saga when he has the most compelling motivation of any character right form the beginning of the movie is laughable.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom