• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars 7 isn't better than the PT. ( OBVIOUS SPOILERS )

Status
Not open for further replies.

Senoculum

TFA > RotS > ESB > CW > RotJ > ANH > PM

yes i rated clone wars that high

Clone Wars should be higher! The plotting and wild adventures is exactly what Star Wars is like in our hearts and heads. But what we watch with our eyes is a lot different.

TFA>CW>RotS>ESB=RoftJ>ANH> Episode 1 and 2>Holiday special

TFA is now officially the best introduction to the world of Star Wars.

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
i like the overall story and world more in the prequels. TFA had better execution though on it being a entertaining movie. I expect more details about the world and what happened in the 30 years in the second movie though.

Sephzilla

At least the prequels had some CREATIVITY.

TFA just felt by the numbers, box ticking, and no, it being the first Star Wars in a while isn't a good enough excuse.

-Recycling Boba Fett
-AOTC pulls imagery from Empire Strikes Back.
-Invoking imagery from the Emperor's throne room at the start of Revenge of the Sith
-The middle movie of the trilogy is where the love story happens, just like Empire
-Main character loses appendage in a 2nd movie dual against an unbeatable opponent, just like Empire
-Pointless Chewbacca cameo
-ROTS ends with the same dual sunset shot as in A New Hope

It's like poetry, it rhymes...

Chamber

love on your sleeve
It's funny how much of the people in this thread are proving OP's point of being overhyped and blinded by excitement. It was a fun movie and not bad. But the OP lays out a bunch of legitimate points and criticism and this is undeniable. To call this critique "objectively wrong" is an affront to film criticism and just makes you all sound like children.

OP doesn't think Finn is bad ass enough and thinks Rey is a Mary Sue. I'm ok with calling him objectively wrong.

I don't understand the people who say ROTS was a better movie (or even a good movie)
The only decent part about it is maybe the last 30 minutes.

Sealed

Banned
Clone Wars should be higher! The plotting and wild adventures is exactly what Star Wars is like in our hearts and heads. But what we watch with our eyes is a lot different.

TFA>CW>RotS>ESB=RoftJ>ANH> Episode 1 and 2>Holiday special

TFA is now officially the best introduction to the world of Star Wars.

ok hold up, clone wars is boring until we get to the cool fighting

but revenge of the sith has better fights, so it has to be higher up

the bolded is true though

Loris146

Obviously not, Revenge of the Sith is still the best Star Wars film.

Force Awakens sits comfortably at #3 though, right behind Empire Strikes Back. The problem with Episode VII was incredibly poor villains comprated to Palpatine, Dooku and Grievous.

darth-vader-no.jpg

My main issue, and I do need to see it again to further digest things, is the role of the new order and the resistance. In the OT, the empire was in essence the Government of the day, the rebels being a group of dissidents fighting to free the galaxy from the dictatorship. From there, in this canon, I guess the republic was re-formed? That being the case, isn't the first order technically the 'rebels' looking to recapture Government/control, and the resistance would be fighting on behalf of the republic? The resistance is this case represents the status quo governing body so they are in essence the republic army, but they function similarly to the Rebel Alliance. Maybe I'm missing something...but that part in episode VIII I'd definitely like fleshed out a little more.

The impression I gathered (and I could be totally wrong) is that most of the systems reformed as the Republic after the death of Palpatine and what was left of the Empire morphed into the First Order and retained control of whatever it could. The Republic and First Order are not in open conflict (at least until the Starkiller base is activated) but the Republic is secretly funding a resistance to weaken the First Order.

duckroll

We don't need a new thread for every individual opinion on a big new movie. There are two active threads for discussing impressions of the film and your opinions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom