• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars Battlefront II |BETA| Execute Pre-Order 66

Boke1879

The Theed map is so strange. The first half is running around trying to find people to shoot at and the last part is where everyone finally gets together. It feels unbalanced.

I think no one is really playing the objective in that first part. You either get the ion rocket or defend people from getting it.

But you have too many people playing that part like death match.

Kyoufu

I get that but the early part feels empty, especially since so many people get stuck in the menu trying to respawn at once. Feels like there needs to be more people or that the map is a little too big.

Honestly I've not had any issues finding enemies on that map. You'll find nobody to shoot at if you stick by the MTT or whatever it's called, so going on the left or right sides of the map you're guaranteed to encounter others, especially the closer you get to their spawn.

Haven't you heard? This game isn't for you. Go play battlefield 1.

I completely agree with you

Maybe look at the 8 primary guns in the game? Oh, but the rest of the guns can be purchased in the loot lottery right? Gonna be boring as hell using the same primary gun for the life of the game. Look at bf4 for a good gun selection. That game had character progression that wasn't tied to gambling too. What a concept!

Lmao you're still here.

Show us on the doll where DICE kidnapped your entire family and ran over your dog on their way out

aly

I think no one is really playing the objective in that first part. You either get the ion rocket or defend people from getting it.

But you have too many people playing that part like death match.

That must be it. The palace part is pretty fun too so I don't mind but it makes the early part a little dry.

Honestly I've not had any issues finding enemies on that map. You'll find nobody to shoot at if you stick by the MTT or whatever it's called, so going on the left or right sides of the map you're guaranteed to encounter others, especially the closer you get to their spawn.

Even then I'm still seeing more birds than teammates. But I'm gonna try to stay there again.

Despite loathing the prequels there's something fun about being the battle droids.

Roger roger

THe Clone Wars made me appreciate them a lot more. Roger Roger.

There's something about this game that's bothering me, and I can't quite figure out why it's happening.

I'm having fun, and the more I play, the better it feels and the more I enjoy the game. So it's not a case of me not liking it, because I do. But unlike the first game, I don't really want to keep playing and playing and playing.

The first game, from the beta all the way to my 150th hour and beyond. When I started playing I could sit for hours and just play match after match. Here though, I play one match, I have fun....then I put the controller down, browse the internet for a bit, do something else. Basically leaving my console idling in the menu until I eventually get back to it 30-60 minutes later, just to play another match, have fun, only to put the controller back down again.

Maybe it's because Walker Assault is better than Galactic Assault? No, that can't be it. Because Starfigher Assault is significantly better than Fighter Squadron yet I do the same thing, play a match of SA, then put the controller down. I really hope I don't feel like this when the full game releases.

SargerusBR

I love Pokken!
There's something about this game that's bothering me, and I can't quite figure out why it's happening.

I'm having fun, and the more I play, the better it feels and the more I enjoy the game. So it's not a case of me not liking it, because I do. But unlike the first game, I don't really want to keep playing and playing and playing.

The first game, from the beta all the way to my 150th hour and beyond. When I started playing I could sit for hours and just play match after match. Here though, I play one match, I have fun....then I put the controller down, browse the internet for a bit, do something else. Basically leaving my console idling in the menu until I eventually get back to it 30-60 minutes later, just to play another match, have fun, only to put the controller back down again.

Maybe it's because Walker Assault is better than Galactic Assault? No, that can't be it. Because Starfigher Assault is significantly better than Fighter Squadron yet I do the same thing, play a match of SA, then put the controller down. I really hope I don't feel like this when the full game releases.

Same thing that happens in every MP Beta, you eventually get tired of playing the same 2-3 maps over and over again.

Same thing that happens in every MP Beta, you eventually get tired of playing the same 2-3 maps over and over again.

It wasn't an issue in the first game, as mentioned, it usually isn't...But it's been like that from the start of this beta. I have not played more than 2 matches in a row without a break in between. Even then, I've only played 2 back to back matches a few times. It's always just one, then I'm like, okay, that was fun but enough for now.

So after playing abit more performance seems solid on the Pro. But does anybody else experience micro stuttering? Makes it seem like frames are dropping.

TitusTroy

without reading through this entire thread...are graphics jaw-dropping like in the first game?...overall is gameplay an improvement?...looking forward to playing it this weekend (PC with GTX 1070 @1920 x 1200)

without reading through this entire thread...are graphics jaw-dropping like in the first game?...overall is gameplay an improvement?...looking forward to playing it this weekend (PC with GTX 1070 @1920 x 1200)

The graphics will be eye-melting once they get rid of the crap like film grain and chromatic aberration dirtying up the image in post.

Had a few games of Starfighter Assault. It took me a bit of time to adjust to the new controls but it's definitely an improvement. Taking enemy ships down is a lot more satisfying. Like the ground modes it could do with more music though.

I think I figured out why I do way better as a droid vs clone in GA.

The droids are almost exactly the same color as the walls in the outdoor part. I can almost never spot them until they're already firing at me.

Probably yes come launch, currently it looks good but not like the first game, except for the starfighter mode, which I think looks spectacular.

NateDog

Quite honestly I feel like I prefer the gameplay of Battlefront 1 so far, although I've only played about an hour or two of this beta. Not a big fan of the loot crates and their integration, will have to see how it plays out.

Great graphics, feels good to play. Just.. doesn't seem to have a hook in me. I have every reason to love this game but don't really feel anything for it. I pop on, wow at the visuals, love the sound effects and enjoy shooting things in the Star Wars universe. Then a couple of games later I go back to D2 or FNBR. It's not often I feel like I should want to buy a game, but just don't.

Can't quite put my finger on it. Will give it some more plays and see if I can get a sense of why it's not clicking.

It's fatigue

plenty of times where i loved the first game, only to buy the second game and only put it down after an hour

Might be, hope not though.

I think I figured out why I do way better as a droid vs clone in GA.

The droids are almost exactly the same color as the walls in the outdoor part. I can almost never spot them until they're already firing at me.

Same goes for the Strike map. One team is in green blending in with everything, all you need to do is stand near a tree and defend, let a bright white storm trooper run around having no clue you're there, blast them in the back as they run past you.

It's terrible. It's as bad as the shadow troopers on Endor night in the first game.

Mugenjin

While I'm not a big fan of the unlock system, I don't see the rarer cards giving significant gameplay advantages unlike Battlefield 1 where some of the newest DLC guns are ridiculously overpowered.

Anyways the beta sold me and as long as there is enough content at launch it'll be day 1 for me.

It's still a very nice looking game, especially when the resolution is cranked up.

23668811608_3fea2f4414_o.png
37489908482_5bd410a7f9_o.png

37453316376_f43cdbfece_o.png
37262584440_f0b79772e8_o.png

And as has been noted before, DICE games tend to look a lot better come launch vs the beta builds.

The Falcon and Slave 1 are so fun to use but I feel like they're huge bullet magnets and can't really do much once someone gets behind them and starts firing

timewyrm

It wasn't an issue in the first game, as mentioned, it usually isn't...But it's been like that from the start of this beta. I have not played more than 2 matches in a row without a break in between. Even then, I've only played 2 back to back matches a few times. It's always just one, then I'm like, okay, that was fun but enough for now.

IIRC, BFI beta had Jakku / Turning Point as the main map/game mode. Imo that was a lot more open and fun than Naboo's seemingly smaller map and dare I say more restrictive game mode. It was more fun imo.

I can't believe I'm saying this but I think I may like Starfighter Assault more than, or at least as much, as the Galactic Assault.

With GA I usually get annoyed with the behavior with the rifles, especially on the Clone side, after a couple rounds. But I can play round after round of Starfighter Assault and have a blast the whole time. Criterion really did their job beautifully.

I hope DICE can clean up the ground game with feedback from the beta.

As a die-hard 1st person user, why?

Is that why I'm struggling on the ground? I feel like I don't aim nearly as accurately in 3rd person, but I get that it would allow me to see around corners. Is that the biggest reason you guys use it?
Better situational awareness.

Is it me or is the 3rd person a lot more constricted in the beta?
The FOV is too narrow. The Reinforcements and Heroes are at the right FOV.

So uhhh, they decided prequel officers, should now be the non clone trooper officers after being retconned by the animated series. But they apparently didn't replace the CIS droid officers with the ones from the animated series? Damnit just give me my damn clone commandos and captains.

Also, the point congestion is very real, you have the three tiers of players from the really good, to normal, to poor performers. The best players may get a hero or vehicle first etc. But then it becomes extremely congested and you often waste your points waiting for something to open and it never does, lower end players likely never get to fill those slots as the game has either ended already or players are taking up those spots for the rest of the game.

Other than that, the very separated vehicle to ground combat stuff kind of sucks, wish it was like battlefield where vehicles were integrated on both ground and air. It would be really cool to have a pilots/drivers shuttling people around, supporting positions etc with vehicles.

why doesn't it look as good as SW: BF1?...textures worse?...lighting?

Right now it's got a ton of pop in issues and then aggressive film grain and chromatic abberation effects which just muddy the whole thing up. Plus I think just the general aesthetic has changed to be a bit more like Battlefield 1. At least on the two foot maps they have a different look. The foliage is the big one, this has Battlefield 1 looking foliage and though it might be more realistic the hype clean, slightly cartoony look of Battlefront 1 I think looks better. Battlefield 1 and Battlefront 2 also have similar anti-aliasing issues. TAA is cool, in Battlefront 1 it was way too soft but was easy to sharpen, unfortunately in Battlefield 1 they added in aggressive sharpening to the TAA that cannot be adjusted (and Battlefront 2 has this again) and it really detracts from the look I think.

There are people with much more knowledge who could better describe the changes in visuals. And again, I'd bet the game looks way better at launch as it's a long running DICE trend.

But I can also say that I think this:

looks better then this (not the best compairson pic but it's all I've got lying around):

aly

So uhhh, they decided prequel officers, should now be the non clone trooper officers after being retconned by the animated series. But they apparently didn't replace the CIS droid officers with the ones from the animated series? Damnit just give me my damn clone commandos and captains.

What do you mean?

I feel like what they failed with both the first and this is trying to take a game that was really built for a local play, or smaller group play scenario, and make it work for very large teams. Hero's and limited special units really just don't mesh with the player numbers competing for those spots. It's almost detracts having them there. It's hard to say as the early Battlefronts were largely played in local co-op/multiplayer for me, or in smaller team settings online where there was usually bots mixed with players.

5taquitos

IIRC, BFI beta had Jakku / Turning Point as the main map/game mode. Imo that was a lot more open and fun than Naboo's seemingly smaller map and dare I say more restrictive game mode. It was more fun imo.
Nope, Jakku came out a month after release. The BF1 beta was Hoth.

What do you mean?

latest

We get imperial officers effectively, but these stupid looking dudes aren't on the CIS side. It was just silly to not have the clone "officers" be the armored clone wars variants.

These are the officers in the films.

5873c3246b31b1feff3d8a830e633e19.jpg
Or some variant of, with Red being Captains etc.

"At the beginning of the Clone Wars, Phase I battle armor used color to distinguish clone officers from each other and the rest of the rank-and-file stock. For instance, commanders were marked by yellow stripes; captains, lieutenants and sergeants were identified by red, blue and olive green respectively.. .. this system of military uniformity was relaxed during the early period of the war and color was used in some cases as a means for distinguishing unit affiliation instead of rank. .. many clone troopers ..particularly officers .. customized their uniforms through color and design"

Effectively its also important to releaize that the clones are based on Mandalorians by genetics, so they're all "warriors" effectively, which is why it makes sense they wear armor as their uniform. The officer dress like episode 4 was just retconned in to help bridge the gap of certain characters that are imperial officers later (According to my buddy who's a big Star Wars Buff).

timewyrm

Nope, Jakku came out a month after release. The BF1 beta was Hoth.

Was it WA on Hoth? Either way Hoth is a seemingly bigger map than Naboo so maybe that's why the BFI beta seemed more fun (to me).

Maybe it was simply because it was the first Battlefront game in ages...

Top Bottom