• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars Battlefront II |BETA| Execute Pre-Order 66

Aesthet1c

The aiming definitely has a weird feel to it. I'm not exactly sure how to place it, but coming from other shooters in the past year and more recently Destiny 2, it just doesn't even compare.

Also, this Naboo map is awful and they shouldn't have made it the beta map. Gonna have to try the strike and starfighter modes.

kendrid

Banned
They definitely need to rethink the availability of heroes. The current system sees them absent for 2/3rd of the match and then the last portion is endless hero spam, making defeating one less of a relief than it should be.

I had 8,000 points my last match near the last two minutes. I could never use them because the heros were always taken. I was annoyed. I was happy to die to hopefully use them but they were always taken.

And what is up with the GIANT TEXT COVERING THE SCREEN telling me they took the package, dropped it, etc. That text needs to become 75% smaller and move to the far top of the screen.

Dogfighting is dumb

You just end up in a situation where you're both chasing each other in a circle. It goes on forever until one person gets bored and decides to go after a different target.

XAL

Boy I can't fly ships worth a damn with a mouse and keyboard.

I guess I'll have to plug my controller in...

TitusTroy

does UI Quality Mode only effect the interface and not the overall graphics quality?...if I'm playing at 1080p is it still OK to set it at 4K?

I find most everything about this game to be just slightly disappointing. All the guns are unsatisfying to use, from the sound to the actual feel. With the exception of a very few exceptions - the being able to roll in any directions, and the points instead of those tokens you had to pick up- every thing else to me is a step back from SWBF2015. The maps I can really only describe as un-fun. I played the XB1 verson and the PC version and I had the same feeling for both of them. The XB1 version has some major issues, with performance and pop ins/ups. In both versions everything is so distractingly shiny while also being dull. I honestly dislike all the business flying around everywhere. The space battles on PC however do look gorgeous. So there's that.

Tambini

Gotta say I don't like it at all. Shooting feels off, the maps are bad and through like 3 games I played I never had a wow cool this is star wars moment, just felt like battlefield with a skin

Murder

I can't even get into a game on PC.

Anyone else having any issue?

Click on Galactic Assault and it starts to join a game goes to Naboo loading screen for like 1 second then goes back.

Boring is exactly how i'd describe this game.

The space battle was better but still very shallow. Goddamn i want a flight stick and keyboard for this.

Just make an Xwing game with modern visuals.

Why is this so hard?

An X-wing VR game is the future, it’s not a matter of “if” but “when”

Also, this Naboo map is awful and they shouldn't have made it the beta map. Gonna have to try the strike and starfighter modes.
That's been a common thing with DICE games. Battlefield 3 beta was Operation Metro and Battlefield 1 beta was Sinai Desert.

Hoth was ok in Battlefront 1 beta but Walker Assault was so imbalanced back then.

HariKari

That's been a common thing with DICE games. Battlefield 3 beta was Operation Metro and Battlefield 1 beta was Sinai Desert.

Hoth was ok in Battlefront 1 beta but Walker Assault was so imbalanced back then.

Sinai turned out to be one of the better BF1 maps and Metro Rush is actually well balanced and fun.

Zero confidence that the other maps will be any better than the flank fest that is Naboo. Map needs to be about half as wide and nobody should be able to pilot the MTT, effectively cutting the map in half for defenders.

Gator86

The aiming definitely has a weird feel to it. I'm not exactly sure how to place it, but coming from other shooters in the past year and more recently Destiny 2, it just doesn't even compare.

Absolutely. The first time I loaded it up I actually laughed at loud. It's pretty bad for a major AAA studio. I have no clue what they were going for. It's not Halo 5 bad, but still felt off in a significantly unpleasant way.

The007JiM

Second day in a row i found people in mid match spawning as a hero and remain hiding at the back just waiting to appear in the final part of the match.lol

Wish there were some way to watch the battle while waiting to respawn, even a Battlefield-style map view or something. Sucks to be 100% out of the action.

HariKari

Wish there were some way to watch the battle while waiting to respawn, even a Battlefield-style map view or something. Sucks to be 100% out of the action.

They need squad spawns back. Or at least the battle buddy system. Way too many times did I spawn with a full group only to have them scatter to the winds.

Sinai turned out to be one of the better BF1 maps and Metro Rush is actually well balanced and fun.

Zero confidence that the other maps will be any better than the flank fest that is Naboo. Map needs to be about half as wide and nobody should be able to pilot the MTT, effectively cutting the map in half for defenders.
Eh. I think all the desert maps suck. Especially Suez. St. Quintins Scar should have been the beta map imo.

I agree with Naboo except for a different reason. It's extremely jarring to go from the wide open spaces outside to the complete cluster fuck that is the throne room.

They need squad spawns back. Or at least the battle buddy system. Way too many times did I spawn with a full group only to have them scatter to the winds.

Lol sometimes I spawn with a full group and half of them are in starfighters so a lot of good that does me.

I have yet to really see any actual teamwork from the group system though. Maybe that will change once the game gets going though.

HariKari

Lol sometimes I spawn with a full group and half of them are in starfighters so a lot of good that does me.

I have yet to really see any actual teamwork from the group system though. Maybe that will change once the game gets going though.

It's hard to pull out anything more than a 1v1 unless you get lucky with explosive spam or are a heavy. The game really emphasizes working as a group. You are basically screwed if you are wounded or waiting for your cooldowns while facing multiple opponents. I really tend to dislike that, as it doesn't let player skill pull out the victory most of the time. It's a very arcade-y game, and that's okay, but they should make design choices to clamp down on the really obnoxious parts.

I think the UI, especially the font, is just shit. It really contributes to the off feeling.

I don't mind the game. It is better than the first one but the controller aiming is weird and feels like it speeds up and slows down randomly.

Reading the majority of this thread it seems people that loved SWBF2015 don't like this beta, and the people that are really loving this beta didn't like SWBF2015.

I have spent a lot of time trying to figure out exactly what it is about the aiming/just shooting in general that feels weird. I still can't put my finger on it. Even things like the crosshairs feel off to me. Just needs a total change imo.

Also it's sad to see that on the subreddit for this game people are getting down voted for asking for the CA to have an option to be turned off. Can't believe people can be such a fanboy that they blindly defend a game to that degree. Sigh.

Spent about five hours playing , I'm trying to get into it but I just can't, feels off for some reason. In the previous game I mostly played Supremacy and Walker Assault which I thought were fun, Galatic Assault feels a step back to me and given there are now less modes to play in this sequel then the previous, I'm tempted to skip it.

The two games I was mostly looking forward to this year were this and Mass Effect Andromeda, maybe the final product ends up being a blast but as of right now this looks like another big disappointment for me.

HariKari

Reading the majority of this thread it seems people that loved SWBF2015 don't like this beta, and the people that are really loving this beta didn't like SWBF2015.

The shooting feel and feedback was so much better in the previous game. I really don't understand why they changed it up. That was never the problem. The problem was a lack of content.

B00TE

Yeah, hoping they tweak the shooting to feel like the first game. My only major complaint atm (that's not possible loot box shenanigans).

Just highlights how weird these cross-era heroes are... why would Palpatine be fighting his own clone army lol.

So annoying. Why is Rey fighting with clones against droids?

Locking the heroes to their eras wouldn't change the game, unless they thought there would be a balance issue. But then you could just reskin heroes like the old BF2 did.

i have never felt this bored playing a Star Wars game before. the map designs are pretty awful too. it feels like a complete pass for me.

Playing the beta inspired me to go back and play the original. Why the hell does the X1 version of Battlefront 1 looking sharper running at 720p then the current beta for Battlefront 2?

WillyFive

I am actually liking DICE's vision for Battlefront more and more now that they have fixed almost everything that was inadequate from the first game.

- Criterion's starfighter gameplay is fantastic. Playing with a M+KB is still not ideal, but it is an absolute dream to play with a controller as soon as you switch it to Southpaw.

- Also, the game has full controller support now (auto-aim), so you can play on your TV with your PC. However, the game feels a lot slower and with a gamepad, so you might not have as much fun this way, unlike say Titanfall where controller play is really well done.

- The attention to detail is great, but whoever came up with the art style to this game was just the wrong person for the job. They turned a colorful world into a drab looking under saturated blurry mess. Compare The Force Awakens to this game, it's a completely different world.

- The new music by Gordy Haab is absolutely incredible, he has that John Williams style down pat and his new themes stand up very well with the classic John Williams themes. However, this game has almost no music at all playing during the matches, which is absurd. Just like with the art style, the lack of music during the game makes it seem like the developers wanted the game to feel as little as Star Wars as possible.

- Just like with the first DICE Battlefront, the chatter form the soldiers is golden, especially the battle droids.

- Maz's Castle is a wonderful map, but the way the gamemode is designed you never get to see most of it. You can go explore all it's nooks and crannies (all the way to the place Maz showed Rey where Luke's saber was in TFA), but there's no reason to go there because the action happens on the other side of the map. They should have had the artifact start there, that way the action can be spread more about inside the castle.

- Naboo is ok, the layout is terribly bland and the bright and colorful landscapes are ruined by the game's art style. A lot of detail went into this map, but you can't really enjoy it.

- Fondor is very fun to play, but again, the art style is just wrong for Star Wars. Why does it look like outer space is a dusty room with a window open to the sun? Space is supposed to be black, not light grey. It looks nothing like the movies and it hurts the visuals. Loved playing as the Y-Wing though, and the death animations for starfighters is much improved from the first game.

- Lasers should be bigger. Again, terrible art style decisions.

- My biggest worry is the amount of content in the game. Without a Premium pass to fund maps as the main product for DLC, I don't expect this game to get a lot of additional maps in the future. Also, the progression system is way too similar to a mobile game for me; I haven't played much of Overwatch and I get it's the same thing, but it doesn't feel like a merit based reward system, you are just getting random stuff and none of it makes sense.

- Performance in this game is excellent, even despite it's high system requirements. My processor is way below the minimum requirements but the game runs like a dream.

- Key mapping is poor, it doesn't allow for duplicate keys. The rest of the settings problems can be attributed to beta stuff (like the FOV not changing for starfighers, even when changing the ini file). I'm excited that it seems the game will implement dynamic resolution, it will be the first DICE PC game to support it.

USMC43

Banned

This game just isn't as polished. It feels clunky. Thankfully this is a beta and not retail. Who am I kidding it'll feel exactly the same at launch.

Tapejara

One of my highlights is that they got Dee Bradley Baker and Matthew Wood to reprise their roles as the Clones/Droids. The dialogue for both factions is great, but the VO really seals the deal for me. Add in the Trident ships on the Kamino maps, and it's great to see so much from The Clone Wars has been brought over. Now just give me playable Ahsoka, DICE!

WillyFive

This game just isn't as polished. It feels clunky. Thankfully this is a beta and not retail. Who am I kidding it'll feel exactly the same at launch.

Both EA Battlefront games feel very polished, questionable gameplay decisions aside. This game will be just like this at launch, except with all the settings enabled and maybe better performance on the console versions.

USMC43

Banned
Both EA Battlefront games feel very polished, questionable gameplay decisions aside. This game will be just like this at launch, except with all the settings enabled and maybe better performance on the console versions.

No, this one feels less polished. In the 2015 for example, the menus are elegant and show all these different scene-scapes. Here, you get a black screen with "digitally" text overlay.

Top Bottom