• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars Battlefront III for Xbox 360 leaked

jeemer

ugh this thread is just a list of all the shitposts from every previous battlefront thread. there are only 4 maps in ea battlefront you guys!

Plasma

Banned
See if they were allowed to make this game post Disney it likely wouldn't have this many maps either way.
Scratch out all the Clone Wars stuff and what you didn't see in the ot.

I don't think that is Disney's fault DICE focused on the OT because they didn't have time to do both. In the Disney Infinity starter pack it comes with a Clone Wars playset so it isn't like they're stopping developers from making games about the Clone Wars.

I don't get how people can look at this and say it is better than the recent Battefront. Just by map count? OK sure.

It's the scope more than anything they're taking BF2 and actually making a sequel to it, building on what was already there and adding planet to space battles into the mix. From the sounds of it as well it was going to have a proper single player campaign. The EA Battlefront meanwhile is completely uninspired gameplay wise and strips away a lot of what made BF fun like all the vehicles on the map being replaced with powerups.

Yukinari

Cool to see this, but I am more happy with DICE's Battlefront. The comments in this thread are ridiculous.

Battlefront isnt a piece of trash but its not worth the defense force it clearly has.

Amazing graphics and sound arent enough to sell a game to some people.

Durden77

Battlefront isnt a piece of trash but its not worth the defense force it clearly has.

Amazing graphics and sound arent enough to sell a game to some people.

Let's compare posts like mine and other "defense force" members to posts from the other side in this thread and see which side seems to be going more out of their way to make their point of view known.

The most I hear from this defense force that like Dice's Battlefront is usually "I like Battlefront it's fun". What I always hear from people that don't like Battlefront is "fuck that sack of shit garbage fucking game that's a complete rip off and should be ashamed of itself and smells like bile that's been on a desert road for 2 weeks".

Now this is the battlefront that I would have bought straightaway. Instead I played a bit at a friends house and decided to not waste money on the new one.

CryptiK

This.

Based on what?
Well based on the released footage.
Large and actual Battlefront like maps with Vehicles in spawns not "tokens" .
The Ground to space Battles looked amazing.
Amount of maps on release is close to double what EABF has.
No shitty Matchmaking! The biggest bonus there is.
An actual class system.

The game that we currently have is utter casual turd imo. But then again I was an actual fan of the previous ones.

God damn it, why did we get that Battlefield clone with hardly any maps instead of this :(
Thats the problem we didn't. Instead we got the most dumbed down game I have ever seen.

Borman

Schrödinger's cat;192830837 said:
I was a producer on this game.

Steve Ellis' comments in later interviews claiming the game was 'practically finished' are simply not true. The game was barely at alpha when it was cancelled.

Which is what I try to tell people after discussing it with developers, but Steve's comments stuck.

If someone leaked the PC version I could finally ascend.

Also I hate life. BF2 was my go-to Saturday morning game as a youngin and seeing this just makes me wanna die.

Palpable

So a shitty unfinished game from 2008 is better than DICE's Battlefront which is pretty awesome as is (minus lack of maps)?

thisisneogaf.gif

Looks like it could of turned into the battlefront 3 I wanted. Sucks it never got to see the light of day and we will never really know what happened at this point. Still nice to see the vehicles spawning on map, classes, big open maps, Land to Space battle maps, etc.
Hopefully something leaks the PC version would really like to mess around with this stuff I'm sure it is extremely barebones but would still be nice to see what could of been. Would be cool to compare to battlefront 2 a game I still play to this day.

Boogdud

So a shitty unfinished game from 2008 is better than DICE's Battlefront which is pretty awesome as is (minus lack of maps)?

thisisneogaf.gif

No doubt. Soooo much nostalgia factor going on here. The original BF1 and 2 weren't really anything special at the time. People don't seem to remember the criticisms of them being dumbed down battlefield games.

edited out my cloud ranting at prequels because, pre-coffee.

But yeah long story short, these games got a LOT of crap at the time because they were unrefined, dumbed down and had bad mechanics/movement (pc was ham-fisted for precision because it was basically a console port).

There were things about the old Battlefronts that I miss and stuff that could be better in the new one but lets not let nostolgia misremember those games as not a janky mess.

The new Battlefront is still better than both of the old Battlefronts.

No the concept was infinitely better.

Awesome concepts are a dime a dozen. It is about the execution. Let's not forget the quality for this developer has not always been there.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Let's compare posts like mine and other "defense force" members to posts from the other side in this thread and see which side seems to be going more out of their way to make their point of view known.

The most I hear from this defense force that like Dice's Battlefront is usually "I like Battlefront it's fun". What I always hear from people that don't like Battlefront is "fuck that sack of shit garbage fucking game that's a complete rip off and should be ashamed of itself and smells like bile that's been on a desert road for 2 weeks".

Funny.

Because that's how the original SWBF was.

Which is what I try to tell people after discussing it with developers, but Steve's comments stuck.

thisisneogaf.gif

No doubt. Soooo much nostalgia factor going on here. The original BF1 and 2 weren't really anything special at the time. People don't seem to remember the criticisms of them being dumbed down battlefield games.

edited out my cloud ranting at prequels because, pre-coffee.

But yeah long story short, these games got a LOT of crap at the time because they were unrefined, dumbed down and had bad mechanics/movement (pc was ham-fisted for precision because it was basically a console port).

There were things about the old Battlefronts that I miss and stuff that could be better in the new one but lets not let nostolgia misremember those games as not a janky mess.

Awesome concepts are a dime a dozen. It is about the execution. Let's not forget the quality for this developer has not always been there.

Pandemic is the original developer, not Free Radical.

Amazing all the corrections to the revisionist complaints, lol. You can tell the age of when most who are dead wrong were, when they played the originals, because their recollection would have been more, clear. Nostalgia is a hell of a thing.

CryptiK

Amazing all the corrections to the revisionist complaints, lol. You can tell the age of when most who are dead wrong were, when they played the originals, because their recollection would have been more, clear. Nostalgia is a hell of a thing.
Opinions can now be dead wrong now guys, the world is changed forever. EA's Battlefront is garbage, that isn't wrong its my opinion.

I agree. Original Battlefront champions were all 12 when they played it.

Battlefront games were the worst Battlefield games with the exception of Battlefield Vietnam, Battlefield 4 and Battlefield 2142.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Opinions can now be dead wrong now guys, the world is changed forever. EA's Battlefront is garbage, that isn't wrong its my opinion.

What did I quote that was an opinion?

Was it the game was almost done? Was it the fact that someone thought it was the same developer? Or how about that it played just like Battlefield, which it does not? But I guess people want to use "opinions" to mean facts, which their "facts" are, DEAD WRONG.

And just because you have an opinion, does not mean it has to be mutually respected. I think your opinion calling it garbage, is bullshit, see how that works?

Battlefront games were the worst Battlefield games with the exception of Battlefield Vietnam, Battlefield 4 and Battlefield 2142.

Yep. I dabbled in the game every now and then on the PC, but that was only to play with friends once in a blue moon. The game controlled like hot trash. I could not play for more than an hour at a time. You know who loved it though? All my friends children at the time, and they would beg me to play it with them. It's scope was great, it's execution was poor on more fronts than was good sadly.

I would just jump back into mapped and modded JKII, because while it did not have vehicles, etc, it actually played well. And also BF: BC2 had major play time from me.

I consider myself the foremost expert on all things Battlefront here because I actually played the old games inside and out. Hundreds upon hundreds of hours online, years of my life with SWBF2. Learning every little nuance and quirk with the game. Taking apart the game line by line in a hex editor making it bend to my whim. And I was 13 when it came out.

I don't have nostalgia for the old games like so many do here, because I know these games, I remember them clearly. The new game is objectively better than the old, even if it is lacking maps for 40 player modes and has balance issues. It's positives are more abundant than the old games and it's negatives less. We had to extensively mod the game (on the PS2 no less) to make it even remotely competitive. All the new Battlefront needs is some tweaking to the DL-44, Homing Shot, and A-Wing.

CryptiK

What did I quote that was an opinion?

Was it the game was almost done? Was it the fact that someone thought it was the same developer? Or how about that it played just like Battlefield, which it does not? But I guess people want to use "opinions" to mean facts, which their "facts" are, DEAD WRONG.

And just because you have an opinion, does not mean it has to be mutually respected. I think your opinion calling it garbage, is bullshit, see how that works?

These two opinions here are what you qouted:

thisisneogaf.gif

You can say all you like about my opinion I don't care it does change the fact that I think the game is a step back. I dont even like the Star Wars franchise but I fucking loved Battlefront.

I'm just going to say I was 13 when original Battlefront released. As much as I loved it because Star Wars I knew even back then it had a lot of problems of which I joked a lot with friends. Still fun as hell.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
These two opinions here are what you qouted:

You can say all you like about my opinion I don't care it does change the fact that I think the game is a step back. I dont even like the Star Wars franchise but I fucking loved Battlefront.

So now we are playing the out of context game, and you happen to muster only two quotes to try and fit your narrative?

I was referring to the part where they said, an "unfinished game" (it was not even in alpha confirmed by a producer in this very thread)... and "concepts are a dime a dozen, it is the execution" which clearly this "concept" did not see any "execution".

And I think the game is a step forward to build a foundation, because it plays lightyears (no pun intended) better than the jankfest originals. The only argument about the older ones is "content". Nobody wants to talk about how shitty they controlled, and how buggy they were. Or how they were some of the most imbalanced games out there at the time.

Durden77

I'm just going to say I was 13 when original Battlefront released. As much as I loved it because Star Wars I knew even back then it had a lot of problems of which I joked a lot with friends. Still fun as hell.

Everyone did. I never owned BF 1 or 2, but my cousin did and I would get psyched as hell to play BF2 when I came over there. It was far from some perfect masterpiece of Star Wars creation and we knew that, but it was also cool as hell and we knew that too. I look back on those times fondly, but I know what game I was playing.

Oh hey. Kind of like the new one. Except I would personally say that the new one is far better at just bringing you Star Wars-ass shit, which was kind of the whole reason why BF rocked in the first place IMO. Some of that comes naturally with the advances in tech, but plenty of it comes from the insane amount of detail and work Dice obviously poured into the game.

I think Dice's Battlefront is definitely the better game, but I also can understand how some would prefer the originals. However what I can't understand is why people feel the need to shit all over the new BF in defense of a pretty mediocre game. We all just want to play in a Star Wars battlefield.

Borman

I've been fairly consistent when saying that even at best, the game was 6 months out. Ive never agreed with Stevea comments, so im not sure why I was included. Ive been open about our differences in the games standing, playable versus not, but I think we settled on agreeing to disagree on that hah due to terminology and all that.

And he said barely an alpha, not that it wasn't.

acevans2

I played the older Battlefront games and I'm blown away that people don't accept the new Battlefront with open arms. Although I'm sure some others' experiences may have been different, what I played in 2005 was janky and disorganized. My incentive to play more was to unlock a new Star Wars thing, not to continue doing what I was already enjoying. The latest Battlefront has its problems, but I am happy to jump in and play more because I like participating in the basic game that was built.

The people saying that what is present in these leaked 360 game images/videos is better than the final product released last year come across as delusional. I'd love to see that person standing in front of two monitors, one playing the alpha build of the 360 game and the other playing the modern game and see how well they can feign interest in the former.

kinoki

Illness is the doctor to whom we pay most heed; to kindness, to knowledge, we make promise only; pain we obey.
The best Star Wars Battlefront game was the demo for the first game on the Endor level. The balance was perfect. When they came out they made some tweaks that busted the flow of gameplay. I even went back a couple of times just to experience the superior version of the map (and game). This new game by EA is better than both 1 and 2 but doesn't offer the same variety. The demo is still king.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
I played the older Battlefront games and I'm blown away that people don't accept the new Battlefront with open arms. Although I'm sure some others' experiences may have been different, what I played in 2005 was janky and disorganized. My incentive to play more was to unlock a new Star Wars thing, not to continue doing what I was already enjoying. The latest Battlefront has its problems, but I am happy to jump in and play more because I like participating in the basic game that was built.

The people saying that what is present in these leaked 360 game images/videos is better than the final product released last year come across as delusional. I'd love to see that person standing in front of two monitors, one playing the alpha build of the 360 game and the other playing the modern game and see how well they can feign interest in the former.

It is like you used the Force to read my thoughts.

xJavonta

Banned
Still better than DICE's battlefront. Then again, after Battlefield 3 I didn't expect much from DICE. Just wish this was finished or either brought into this gen instead Battlefront.

I actually really enjoy all of the gameplay we got in EA's Battlefront. It is simple enough that I can just hop in and play it without tons of thought, and the gunplay and movement feels smooth and just overall good.

My only issues are with the vehicles, or lack thereof. First off, I don't like the tokens over having them on the maps. I can't see any benefit to this method, and it takes you out of the PERFECTLY created visual world DICE crafted.

Also, the beauty of Battlefield has always been the chaos of all the vehicles shifting your focus in a game. If a tank or chopper shows up you have to hope someone in armor has your back in a similar piece or have everyone focus to knock it out.

I strongly doubt we will get any new vehicles or a change to the spawn method in this game, but hopefully in the inevitable next version we will get maps/gamemodes with vehicles actually located on the maps in equal numbers and types for both factions.

RaidenXZ

It's not that I enjoy the old battlefront more than Dices new one (which I do), it's just that I wish they also put clone wars/prequel stuff into the new one. Hate how's it all being ignored. I liked the prequels and especially the clone wars shows (both the newer one and the 2003 one) and Dices game and that era would mix beautifully! :(

KissVibes

Banned
You have no idea.

Are you saying it was?

Schrödinger's cat;192830837 said:
I was a producer on this game.

Steve Ellis' comments in later interviews claiming the game was 'practically finished' are simply not true. The game was barely at alpha when it was cancelled.

I figured.

People just took that as absolute gospel and its been annoying.

My only issues are with the vehicles, or lack thereof. First off, I don't like the tokens over having them on the maps. I can't see any benefit to this method, and it takes you out of the PERFECTLY created visual world DICE crafted.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but don't tokens spawn at random points of the map?I've played a bit of battlefront on and off but I'm not sure. If so, I think the thought process with tokens over actual vehicles was to prevent camping them. It also allows them to place tokens anywhere on the map as opposed to the entire vehicle itself which takes up space.

Dr Prob

Banned
『Inaba Resident』;192900506 said:
Correct me if I'm wrong, but don't tokens spawn at random points of the map?I've played a bit of battlefront on and off but I'm not sure. If so, I think the thought process with tokens over actual vehicles was to prevent camping them. It also allows them to place tokens anywhere on the map as opposed to the entire vehicle itself which takes up space.

Nope. Apart from the hero pickups, the tokens always spawn at set points so people can and do camp them. The only real variable is that what you get from non-vehicle pickups is random.

Why do people keep saying 4 maps?

It is 12 maps on four environments for the base game, with 2 more maps on an additional environment as free DLC so far.
14 maps total with the base purchase and another coming soon in the next free expansion and more free expansions planned, plus the season pass on top of it. Tons of maps.

Toxi

Banned
See if they were allowed to make this game post Disney it likely wouldn't have this many maps either way.
Scratch out all the Clone Wars stuff and what you didn't see in the ot.
Disney had nothing to do with the decision to restrict to OT content. That was all EA.

Top Bottom