• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars Battlefront Specs Announced

owasog

The minimum specs are roughly the same as a PS4. Makes sense for a currentgen-only title. The recommended specs are basically the min specs x2. I guess those are for 60fps.

16GB sounds insane though. I don't think EA realizes there are actually numbers between 8 and 16.

Kezen

Banned
The minimum specs are roughly the same as a PS4. Makes sense for a currentgen-only title. The recommended specs are basically the min specs x2. I guess those are for 60fps.

16GB sounds insane though. I don't hink EA realizes there are actually numbers between 8 and 16.

The most common configurations is 8 or 16 though. It remains to be seen whether or not the game actually benefits from more than 8gb of system memory.

daxy

Hitting all checkboxes apart from the 6600K. I guess it was developed on it, so that's why it's listed the recommended CPU?

Last edited:

Renekton

16GB sounds insane though. I don't think EA realizes there are actually numbers between 8 and 16.
I don't remember seeing 12GBs since the ancient x58 chipsets lol.

roytheone

Hitting all checkboxes apart from the 6600K. I guess it was developed on it, so that's why it's listed the recommended CPU? I would imagine a 4690K should cope just fine.

CPU requirements have been bullshit for quite a while now. I have an i7 870, and it is below minimum specs for quite a few games (the witcher 3, assasssins creed unity), but those games still run just fine on high settings. CPU requirements are ridiculously overblown.

Lettuce

Wait what......Windows 10 is recommended!!!???

Why on earth is that the case?

Development for PC is soo lazy and optimisation non exsistant.....16GB of RAM get the fuck outahere!!!, if they even tried im betting they could get it running fine with half that!!, but then why would they bother we're all slaves to the upgrade

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
pretty much nail the recommended specs except the CPU. it's a locked skylake i5 but i have an i5-4590. will I be fine even if I had 16GB RAM and a 290 with Windows 10?

Dr Dogg

Hitting all checkboxes apart from the 6600K. I guess it was developed on it, so that's why it's listed the recommended CPU? I would imagine a 4690K should cope just fine.

Frostbite scales very well across multiple cores and one of the few engines that takes good advantage of Hyperthreading on i7's. In BF4 on large player count maps you see the benefit there much more than singleplayer games so can see it being similar with Battlefront. Framerate and map loading times are slightly better for me on an i7 over an i5 but not by a huge margin but it's nice to see the extra grunt put to work.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
Based on exp with frostbite, your fps will fluctuate madly on cpu below recommended.

Ah no more Mantle :{ hopefully they patch in DX12 next year
That's just how it is with large scale multiplayer games.

Not sure why everyone is freaking out over RAM. I bought a 32GB kit of generic DDR3 several years ago and it didn't cost much more than $100.

Renekton

pretty much nail the recommended specs except the CPU. it's a locked skylake i5 but i have an i5-4590. will I be fine even if I had 16GB RAM and a 290 with Windows 10?
I have almost the same spec.

DX11 CPU utilization with AMD is a question mark for us.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
I hope those recommended specs are really put to good use. I want to see my new i7 6700k 980 ti config in action.

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account
My SLI 970 FTW's await. Hopefully I can maintain 60fps at that resolution.

Though most of my playtime will be on PS4, since that's where my friends are.

Antialias

Frostbite games are developed on double Xeon E5-2670s for a total of 16 cores (also 64GB of RAM). I wouldn't bother trying to match that.

MaxiLive

I'm all ready for the recommended specs but I bet it will still run so-so on my machine! Most things tend to do with the Stock 290 X.x

Ensirius

Wow, is there already a game that ask 16gb ram?
Now I'm really scared on how the game will perform on console.

There was a stream yesterday on Twitch where they showed the game running on a PS4 at 60 fps and it looked fine.

It was "downscaled" to 30 fps for the stream though.

Stevey

Why are you guys complaining about recommended specs getting higher?
Surely it's progress if games need more horsepower to run

RulkezX

It ran damn near maxed at 1080p during the Alpha on my 2500k @ 4.4 Ghz and 7970GE.

Performance was excellent.

FyreWulff

40 gigs? holy shit, what's in there? is this all textures and audio?

I'm surprised because it's a multiplayer only game with what, 8 maps?
looking forward to playing it, but man the size does surprise me

welcome to "we don't need to fit games on 360 DVDs anymore"

Kezen

Banned
AMD 290 maxes out everything

At 30fps perhaps, not at 60.

We don't know what they mean by recommended so we can't draw any conclusion about optimization.

With the new devkit I expect a bit more than 720p to be honest, let's hope for more.
Better SDK but higher visual targets compared to Hardline, that counts.

It ran damn near maxed at 1080p during the Alpha on my 2500k @ 4.4 Ghz and 7970GE.

Performance was excellent.

Maybe it was not a very demanding map then, or "max" settings have a higher ceiling.

going by that DF video, aa is still terrible. z fighting, polygon seaming/clipping and warping still everywhere. shader aliasing abound. well done dice.

Huh...well with my 660TI I think if I even do get this game this year it will be PS4. No plans to upgrade at all anytime soon.

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
Hitting all checkboxes apart from the 6600K. I guess it was developed on it, so that's why it's listed the recommended CPU?
It's marketing, nothing more.

As for 16 GB or RAM. There's absolutely no way the game will use that much RAM.

Surely it's progress if games need more horsepower to run
More like developer's incompetence in what they are doing - which is pretty common nowdays.

Sjefen

Can't believe my 2000$ pc I bought in november last year have the same specs as the recommended spec list.

Edit: my Proccessor is alot better

low-G

Recommended specs are my specs. But jeez I built that PC just 2 months ago, those are high specs.

Anyone remember how Battlefield games used to be why you bought more RAM? BF Vietnam & BF 2 were the first PC games to really need more RAM than any other game.

Teletraan1

Banned
16GB is not that much ram. Not sure why people are surprised. I personally moved away from 8 when certain games would give me that low memory error when I had a small or no swap file whenever I had a web browser with a lot of tabs and other various things open running alongside the game. Even gaming laptops that carry a 9X0m GPU which doesn't even quite match the recommended specs come with 16GB.

Kezen

Banned
I thought spending that amount of money would be enough for 2-3 years of gaming in 1080P 60 Fps, the future looks expensive

But we don't know what settings those req target. Besides, I hope you were not deluded enough to believe you are entitled to "max" settings for X number of years with on fix specs. "Max" settings by their very nature ask for more and more on a yearly basis.

That does not mean you won't get a 1080p/60fps experience, but probably not at max settings. And this is a very good thing that games dare to scale beyond a 970/290.

Both specs are probably for ~60fps.. just with different cvars (medium vs extra high).

Also, the people fixating on RAM numbers. These are specs... they are not set in stone.
I thought spending that amount of money would be enough for 2-3 years of gaming in 1080P 60 Fps, the future looks expensive

Just not at max settings. 60fps is pretty much always a guarantee for graphics scaling as long as there is no secondary bottleneck (CPU).
Happy to report my rig will kill this game at 60FPS 1440p

I expect 120fps @ 1080p.

SomTervo

I am really going to feel this foreshadowed CPU bottleneck soon on my i5 4490k. I fully meet the specs otherwise.

Should probably overclock the thing.

Top Bottom