• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars Celebration to be Livestreamed, April 16th-19th

Status
Not open for further replies.
Feelin' pretty good about my decision to not spend a couple thousand dollars flying down to Anaheim and putting myself up in an overpriced hotel so that I can flood into a crowded convention center to be advertised to for four straight days. Now Lucasfilm & Verizon will be bringing the best bits of the convention to me instead.

http://www.starwars.com/news/watch-...arwars-com-powered-by-verizon?linkId=13531463

Launching with a live stream of the highly-anticipated kickoff panel featuring Star Wars: The Force Awakens director J.J. Abrams and producer Kathleen Kennedy, the StarWars.com Celebration live stream powered by Verizon will continue providing coverage throughout the four-day event from a specially-designed Star Wars Cantina set located in the middle of the action on the convention floor.

Verizon and StarWars.com will deliver 30-plus hours of live streamed content following Thursday’s Celebration kickoff, featuring over a dozen panels and events, including discussions with actors Mark Hamill, Carrie Fisher, Anthony Daniels, Billy Dee Williams, Ian McDiarmid, and several other performers associated with the Star Wars saga. Additionally, StarWars.com and Verizon will be live streaming the Star Wars Fan Film Awards; the Smuggler’s Bounty radio drama; EA’s new Battlefront videogame; and several other exclusive Celebration events that might otherwise be missed by members from Star Wars’ global fan community.

Between the live, on-stage events, StarWars.com will feature live interviews with celebrity guests within the Star Wars Cantina set specially built to capture the mood and atmosphere of the infamous Mos Eisley watering hole from A New Hope. These segments will have a fun, variety show flavor to them that brings a bit of the Star Wars Celebration vibe to those enjoying the event from afar.

Exclusive clips from throughout Star Wars Celebration event will also be available on demand from Verizon, allowing fans to celebrate Star Wars long after the live streams are over.

Overall positive, for me. I'm sure some will worry that if all the best parts of the convention are going to be available for free for anyone with an internet connection, why should anyone go, but I can't imagine this actually threatens the viability of events like this. Maybe they'll scale down eventually, but the people keeping events like this alive are going to show up to them (and pay the ticket prices) whether they're livestreamed & archived or not.

This also pretty much guarantees everyone's gonna see that Force Awakens trailer around 11am Thursday afternoon.

Wish I were going this time but honestly while they can be really cool it was just a lot of waiting in poorly managed lines. Which is normal I guess but still.

Cheebo

Banned
Good time to announce the original cuts of the trilogy on blu-ray..

No it's not, because that is not happening. Digital release JUST came out. And not to mention MakingStarWars just said this week the 4K restoration that was just worked on is the Bluray cut as well. 0.0000000000000001% chance of pure theatrical editions any time soon.

And can't wait for the new trailer thursday. Going to be exciting.

What's the betting that they'll do it like an SDCC panel, and cut to black while the trailer's playing?

Extremely unlikely, they are streaming this panel across theaters in Europe. The whole point of it is for the trailer. This isn't some very early sneak peak like SDCC normally is, this trailer is attached to Avengers as well.

Good time to announce the original cuts of the trilogy on blu-ray..

Apparently this will not be happening. Devin Faraci at Badass has heard that while there are some changes (including the reversion of the Greedo scene to its original form), the 4K remasters are NOT the theatrical versions. MakingStarWars.net has heard that there aren't even any changes, that the 4K remasters are exactly the same, content wise, as the blu-ray cuts.

Basically, best case scenario is that Lucasfilm puts out a "split the difference" version of the films, where most of the changes stay, and some of them get reverted to their original form.

Birbo

I feel a great disturbance, as if millions of projects at work were suddenly silenced.

Super hyped for TFA Trailer #2 and Battlefront gameplay.

It's actually a possibility. Rumor is there's going to be more than a few surprise guests that will remain unannounced until they hit the stage.

I wouldn't get my hopes up for Harrison. He was scheduled for the premiere of an aviation documentary he narrates last Friday and was a no show because of his injuries. The "surprise" guests are likely Boyega, Ridley, Isaac, et al.

With Billy Dee Williams there, I wonder if he'll be announced for Episode VIII. It would be kind of awkward to have the old cast there plugging the new film with no mention of what became of Lando.

Cheebo

Banned
This thing should be up any second now, right?

Eh? It's Thursday at 10 AM PST. They wont put the trailer online before the live-stream.

With Billy Dee Williams there, I wonder if he'll be announced for Episode VIII. It would be kind of awkward to have the old cast there plugging the new film with no mention of what became of Lando.

Billy Dee is always there, he does his own little panel. He wont be sitting in with the Episode VII cast at the JJ panel.

Is Harrison Ford going to be there?

Harrison's entrance:

zS3nDKL.gif

Rootbeer

Banned
Totally pumped... I have something interesting to do this weeked afterall (yeah, I'm quite sad)

After being bummed about not going to Celebration this year... easily the BIGGEST and most important Celebration yet... at least we'll be getting roughly 30 hours of officially streamed content, including the panel.

Kadin

Was very close to going this weekend but things simply couldn't work out in the end. This is a very, VERY good thing to see. Thanks for posting OP, I was pretty bummed but now I'm giddy as ever as a huge Star Wars fan who saw them with my best friend, when they first released, in the back of my dad's El Camino at the drive-ins. So many good times to remember... but I digress.

Thursday morning is totally open now.

Out of all cons of I've ever gone too, the Celebrations have always been the best. It's a big con, but being only Star Wars does kinda cut down on the amount of attendees, and it also cuts out alot of the obnoxious stuff like anime and the stupid con teen scene. Much more adult and subdued convention compared to most, and LFL really had that shit super well organized with the staff, unlike most dumb ass con volunteers. It was out of the cards this year due to other trips, but Celebration was a great time.

Ohwiseone

I am excited.

I am so happy they will have replays..

I can't wait to watch that panel and the reaction during the trailer.

Also, I am somewhat hoping that Daisy Ridley and John Boyega, but show up for that panel.

They should start showing them more in advertising soon, Celebration that will be lived stream is a great start.

EDIT: Sounds like they are using Youtube for streaming.

Fantastic, hope Verzion has enough bandwidth ready.

Think they'll start off with the trailer or wait till the end of the panel to play it?

I bet they hold off. If there are special unannounced guests, they'll do all that shit first, and then after making people wait for a few minutes - they'll drop the trailer.

I mean, were I producing/moderating this thing, here's how I'd have it laid out:

Thanks and stage patter w/ Abrams & Kennedy
Interview/discussion about picking up the mantle from Lucas
Show the first poster
Introduce the people ON the poster: Boyega, Ridley & Isaac show up
Talk a little bit
Introduce Driver, Christie, Gleeson
talk a little bit more
Drop the trailer.
Talk with everyone about what they just watched.
Run the trailer again.
Show some behind the scenes EPK bullshit as special guests leave
Quick little teaser details about what might be coming soon
Leave.

I bet they hold off. If there are special unannounced guests, they'll do all that shit first, and then after making people wait for a few minutes - they'll drop the trailer.

I hope you're right, gives me roughly half an hour to scramble home from work. And it's an hour's commute.

Could this get an OT? I'd love to be able to have all the info available in one thread as the days go by.

Anyone?

You mean can Celebration have an OT?

This should probably work fine enough, I'd think. But I guarantee you anything even mildly newsworthy is gonna have like 2 or 3 threads posted within the second of the news getting announced anyway.

Prompto

Banned

I mean, were I producing/moderating this thing, here's how I'd have it laid out:

Show the first poster
Talk a little bit
talk a little bit more
Drop the trailer.
Run the trailer again.
Leave.
Yeah that makes sense. I'm hoping they reveal the poster tomorrow though.

Show the first poster
Talk a little bit
talk a little bit more
Drop the trailer.
Run the trailer again.
Leave.

Yeah only thing I'd add is the return of the old cast members (Hamill, Ford, and Fisher etc.) on stage with the new members (Boyega, Ridley, Issac etc.).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom