• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars Episode 7 confirmed in 2015, 8 and 9 to follow, new film every 2-3 years

Status
Not open for further replies.

Effnine

You really think there should be more of these? As in 3 more? Cmon man goddamn thats the only part that strikes me as a "noooooooo" situation. I dont care about the rest, but respect the dead for crying out loud.

It's an interesting universe that has many stories that could be told. I don't see the issue here. If you're basing this on a few bad apples, then that seems unfair. For example, the Batman re-boot.

GCX

This. Just think about it: Lucas isn't writing or directing. Imagine the possibilities.
It's like I'm back in 1997!

Only difference is that then people were hyped because Lucas was doing everything and now because he's not doing anything.

harSon

Banned
Pretty exciting news.

The Star Wars universe is pretty expansive, and allows for pretty much any story to be told. Assuming they don't restrict themselves to the universe of the original trilogy, I see a lot of room for potential.

CloudWolf

I'm not really understanding all the negative reactions about this news. Why is this a bad thing?
Because the Expanded Universe sucks and unless they ignore the Expanded Universe (even though all of the stories are confirmed canon) or situate the next three movies at least a thousand years after Return of the Jedi, they have to use an Expanded Universe storyline.

As great as it is that Lucas is likely done, it's just sad that they're going to whore out a franchise that is a fucking cultural touchstone like this. If they can get good talent on board, I'm for it. But I really don't like the current stable of directors Disney has on board; really on Brad Bird would please me. I'd love a mature director (think Fincher.... I just fucking love Fincher) take it on; I mean, the Star Wars films are not, and never have been, kid films.

At least take the Bond/Empire Strikes Back approach to it; give it to established, mature directors, not idiots that only know how to do big budget "blockbuster" films.

And keep it far far far away from Nolan or Whedon.

I'd take Nolan over Bird after the utterly generic John Carter.

Derrick01

Banned
This is fucking huge. Wow.

There's quite a bit of story after Return of the Jedi so I'm interested in seeing where they go with it.

I hope this proves to be a complete and utter disaster for Disney.
Good on George for making bank on something he devalued completely.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
Brad Bird should do this one. Who's with me?

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Pretty exciting news.

The Star Wars universe is pretty expansive, and allows for pretty much any story to be told. Assuming they don't restrict themselves to the universe of the original trilogy, I see a lot of room for potential.

I really hope they don't try to follow Luke's grandchildren or whatever. Start over with a new set of characters please.

Garryk

images

Sorta want. Please don't shit all over the EU Disney.

Are people negative since it's new Star Wars, or since it's Disney? The latter I get, this is the company that puts lots of money and zero effort into churning out shit like Pirates 4 and Tron Legacy.

But the former? New Star Wars movies that aren't made by Lucas... this is an exciting idea. Who wouldn't love another take on the universe, but [theoretically/hopefully] helmed by people who know how to make a movie?

mrklaw

MrArseFace
That isn't anything new is it, the same thing happens with Star Trek, while the EU novels and other media is soft canon for the most part the films (TV Seies in Trek) and Lucas override everything else as hard canon.

Though at minimum they jump 200 years forward and they avoid pretty much all of the Extended Universe and all of its characters and events as far as I am aware.

And then what? We just have some space stuff with nobody we've ever heard of or know. At least with the prequels they were building towards something we were familiar with.

Hmph

George Lucas is only a "creative consultant". Thank god. Get some good writers and directors on board, please!

He was probably a creative consultant on Indiana Jones, too. Creative consultant just means he gets to inject his opinion on everything and change things if he wants.

I...have no hope for this.

Star Wars: Episode VII - A No Hope

I was sure this was fake.. but its real.

WOW.

I am excite!

Clone Wars proves that Star Wars still has legs and if people that love the franchise can work on a new trilogy it could be great.

I am ok with this. I am not one of the fools who believes bad sequels make the originals also bad. Hell....I liked 1-3 enough that it wasn't a big deal anyways.

Came to this thread for the outrage and its delivering!

oh god i had a headache and took a nap and i'm pretty sure i must have died and gone to hell

On the one hand, it'll wipe out the expanded universe so okay

On the other, it might replace it with something even worse

ultron87

Obviously all this fat Disney money will let Lucasarts make all the Star Wars games we've always wanted. Republic Commando 2 and X-Wing sequel please!

Great to hear, but god ANYTHING but Zahn's trilogy.

I agree, not because I don't like Zahn's trilogy though, but because it centers around Luke/Han/Leia and honestly I'd rather it just be way further in the future than recasting such iconic roles.

But it begs the question what this movie will do to the EU considering the books go well into the future already.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom