• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars is getting brand new Expanded Universe

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shaanyboi

Banned
So they're going to just mine the EU for ideas once in a while? Eh... as long as Kyle Katarn is back at some point. I'd hope that they atleast acknowledge characters like Mara Jade or whatever, even if they didn't meet in exactly the same way but the essence of the character is there.

No different than Marvel adapting their stuff to live action or whatever. Use the original stuff as inspiration, but not as rules.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
There goes 20 years of books. Pretty disappointing even if the EU had some issues in recent times, some of the standalone books made up for the multi-book disasters.

adj_noun

No. I'm fairly certain not a single person, place, or thing that existed solely in the EU will appear in the new films.

Yeah, I'd kinda expect the super popular EU stuff to show up "reimagined" in things like Rebels. I could see Thrawn showing up there down the road.

border

Lucasfilm's damage control video is pretty fun. "I think this is a great idea -- we're finally going to be able to have one cohesive, controlled, unified vision!"

Yeah right. In ten years the canon is going to be just as completely fucked up and off the rails as it is now, because you money-grubbing bastards won't say "No" to almost any videogame, comic book, kids' toy, or novel. Sooner or later it will be just like it always was, with some Lucasfilm figurehead picking and choosing what counts as canon, then perhaps later on deciding that a project they said was canon actually isn't canon.

Also -- I thought that Force Unleashed was supposed to be canon? Or is that something they backpedaled on as well? I never understood why they allowed it in the first place, since the game very nearly turned you into a god capable of pulling a Star Destroyer out of the sky.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
The EU, at least regarding stuff that happens during/after the films, seemed really hit or miss, anyway. Only the stuff about Jacen Solo and his siblings/cousins ever seemed really interesting. Ferus Olin seemed pretty cool, too. The original Clone Wars cartoon was really neat, but that was already retconned by the newer, 3D series. I hope they take the better parts and re-tell or re-imagine them.

I'm sad to see the pre-Phantom Menace world go, though. There's a lot of lore about the Old Republic that was really well done.

Voror

So everything? I wish they'd keep Zahn's Thrawn trilogy canon as I just finished that recently and loved it. Planning to read the Hand of Thrawn books and perhaps Stackpoles X-wing series too.

I wonder if this means we'll see a KOTOR game reboot or something.

Lucasfilm's damage control video is pretty fun. "I think this is a great idea -- we're finally going to be able to have one cohesive, controlled, unified vision!"

Yeah right. In ten years the canon is going to be just as completely fucked up and off the rails as it is now, because you money-grubbing bastards won't say "No" to almost any videogame, comic book, kids' toy, or novel. Sooner or later it will be just like it always was, with some Lucasfilm figurehead picking and choosing what counts as canon, then perhaps later on deciding that a project they said was canon actually isn't canon.

Also -- I thought that Force Unleashed was supposed to be canon? Or is that something they backpedaled on as well? I never understood why they allowed it in the first place, since the game very nearly turned you into a god capable of pulling a Star Destroyer out of the sky.
Per the news item in the OP, even Force Unleashed would now be apocrypha.

adj_noun

Given the way Force Unleashed 2 ended (and there seemingly not being a third one to resolve it) I think they collectively went "screw it".

There's also a weird bit in the Game Informer article about the Darth Maul video game where they were told not to mention the name of Force Unleashed's protagonist to Lucas, and if Lucas himself mentioned him he'd only refer to him as "that guy". I don't know if the Flanneled One ended up much in love with dear ol' Starkiller.

D

Deleted member 102362

Unconfirmed Member
So the Expanded Universe is Expanding.

My familiarity with it is limited to a couple of book series, a few games, and stuff I read on Wookiepedia. Hopefully the new stuff avoids getting too confusing.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
Hopefully they allow "non canon" games where shit can just go bananas
Shit was already pretty bananas. Force ghosts, midichlorians, Darth Maul returning from the dead, Luke's lightsaber and hand surviving the fall from the Death Star and being used to make a clone of Luke, Luke briefly turning over to the dark side and then back to the light side again, and I think a wookie had a lightsaber at one point.

Regardless, something like a super bananas Star Wars game along the lines of Devil May Cry/Metal Gear Rising is still something that would be amazing to see.

Branduil

Hooray no more
Chewie getting crushed to death by a moon.

My personal canon will always include these:

Ewok_movies_cover.jpg

The second one is terrible for
immediately killing off her family that the little girl spent the entire first film rescuing.

Like it....wait....love it. Always considered EU to be people riding GL's coattails.

"Thanks for the ideas, nerds, we'll consider some of them." - Disney

Karkador

Banned
Rebooting decades of canon seems to be the trend in geek media nowadays. The worst thing I see here is that there will be a central panel calling the shots on what's allowed. That sounds like its going to make for a very boring, homogenized body of work. The times I liked SW EU stuff is when it's something more off-beat, character-driven and smaller in scale

For a world that's supposed to be fantasy from a bygone time and place, putting so much importance on things being 'canonical' and 'accurate' seems to greatly miss the point of fantasy.

Also, Star Wars having to be "epic" all the time is how we got incredibly stupid and overwrought battles in the prequels, with thousands of people fighting with no apparent consequence or weight to any of the destruction.

D

Deleted member 102362

Unconfirmed Member
Hooray no more
Chewie getting crushed to death by a moon.
I remember hearing about that - thought it was lame then, still think so now.

The second one is terrible for
immediately killing off her family that the little girl spent the entire first film rescuing.

So, basically, the
Alien 3
effect?

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Rebooting decades of canon seems to be the trend in geek media nowadays. The worst thing I see here is that there will be a central panel calling the shots on what's allowed. That sounds like its going to make for a very boring, homogenized body of work. The times I liked SW EU stuff is when it's something more off-beat, character-driven and smaller in scale

For a world that's supposed to be fantasy from a bygone time and place, putting so much importance on things being 'canonical' and 'accurate' seems to greatly miss the point of fantasy.

Also, Star Wars having to be "epic" all the time is how we got incredibly stupid and overwrought battles in the prequels, with thousands of people fighting with no apparent consequence or weight to any of the destruction.

They already did this.

Then what's this news about there being a group who will be in charge making sure everything lines up with the new movies and such?

I suspect it started out that way, or existed on paper, but in reality it was just some guy at Lucasarts looking at story proposals and rubber stamping them.

"Well, this doesn't totally suck." /approved

A_Gorilla

Banned
The part about being more regulated is the only part that gives me hope. The main reason I stopped reading Star Wars EU was that I was sick of every author ignoring each other and having a "my way or the highway" when it came to characters and relationships.

Even then, the only EU book I truly loved was Shadows of the Empire. That was awesome.

Zahn was excellent for the most part, but he never seemed to be able to write Jedi, or at least didn't like too. That force-negating lizard BS from the first Thrawn trilogy felt like some that should have been in the prequels...

Cagey

Banned
The part about being more regulated is the only part that gives me hope. The main reason I stopped reading Star Wars EU was that I was sick of every author ignoring each other and having a "my way or the highway" when it came to characters and relationships.

Even then, the only EU book I truly loved was Shadows of the Empire. That was awesome.

Zahn was excellent for the most part, but he never seemed to be able to write Jedi, or at least didn't like too. That force-negating lizard BS from the first Thrawn trilogy felt like some that should have been in the prequels...

Given the rest of the EU and the absurd power creep of Jedis, give me ysalamiri and disinterest over the other treatments given.

Like it....wait....love it. Always considered EU to be people riding GL's coattails.

"Thanks for the ideas, nerds, we'll consider some of them." - Disney

This is ironic considering that most of the eu writers ate actually acclaimed sci fi writers in their own right. Something that George Lucas can't claim...especially if you read his original story outlines.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom