• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars is getting brand new Expanded Universe

Status
Not open for further replies.
i-6xDLc2T-1050x10000.jpg

good riddance.

Giolon

It shouldn't matter, but I do kind of feel like I got punched in the gut right now.

There are certainly bad things that I'm glad will be gone, but there's so much good too.

Bye bye, Thrawn, Mara Jade, Solo kids, Revan!

And yet, because it was in the movie Midichlorians will remain.

This is ironic considering that most of the eu writers ate actually acclaimed sci fi writers in their own right. Something that George Lucas can't claim...especially if you read his original story outlines.

Fanfic by acclaimed writers is still fanfic. George came up with it. Everything else is writing class.

Chuckie

The KOTOR stuff is the only thing of worth lost.

It's not lost though. How does the fact that they discard all EU change the enjoyment you had in playing the KOTOR games or read the novels?

Does the fact some disney dude says EU canon is no longer real canon diminish the Thrawn books or any other stuff?

Did anyone even think they would follow EU-canon when they decided to make new SW movies?

I don't see why the current EU caused such problems with JJ's "vision". The mainline EU books of the last years have continued to pander by trotting out the well past their prime Big Four which sounds right up JJ's pandering alley. I guess the whole EU has to go so JJ can ander even more by bringing back a 70 year Peter Mayhew, who can't even walk anymore , for maximum pandering.

Voror

The second one is terrible for
immediately killing off her family that the little girl spent the entire first film rescuing.

The worst part is I saw the second one first. Then the first. I quickly had a moment of horror when I realized.

Scirrocco

What's more ridiculous is that characters like Ahsoka and JarJar are canon but Kyle Katarn, Revan, Darth Krayt and Thrawn technically do not exist anymore.

:mad:

I was always iffy on kyle katarn. Video game charaxters always seem a bit out of plaxe to me, unless theyre rpg characters, for some reason.

But id take him over starkiller, whom i believe is still canon.

bengraven

Makes sense.

Why should the movie makers be beholden to what other, lesser creators have been doing for the last 20 years? Some of the stories are good, but nothing is truly great. Let a new generation who are going to be behind these films, talented people with George's support, set a new direction.

SargerusBR

I love Pokken!
I was always iffy on kyle katarn. Video game charaxters always seem a bit out of plaxe to me, unless theyre rpg characters, for some reason.

But id take him over starkiller, whom i believe is still canon.

He's non canon too. Everything that is not in the movies or TV shows aren't canon. And the upcoming Rebels TV show will overwrite the story of the birth of the Rebellion.

jackdoe

The Star Wars EU has gotten way too grimdark over the past decade, so good riddance. While I liked some of the stuff before NJO, I hated nearly everything from NJO and everything after it. Here's to hoping that actually get some decent writers for this new EU.

You don't see how making new movies adhere to ~25 years of EU continuity might not be worth bothering?

I wasn't being serious. I was just joking wince the both the modern EU and JJ's films will focus on characters well pas their prime for the sake of pandering. I liked some of the older EU stuff but the thing that really got annoying was their refusal to stop using the Luke,Han,Leia and Lando quartet, which from the rumours,sounds like what JJ plans to do as well.

They need to bring Mara Jade and the Solo kids into the new EU. Beyond that, I don't give a fuck if they dump everything else. Most of it was shit anyway.

The Star Wars Legacy comic series was awesome, though.

border

What's more ridiculous is that characters like Ahsoka and JarJar are canon but Kyle Katarn, Revan, Darth Krayt and Thrawn technically do not exist anymore.(

They never existed in the first place, apparently. Lucasfilm has always said that only the movies and a couple TV projects were ever approved as true canon.

They apparently have a hierarchy of canon that I came across when doing a Google search for The Force Unleashed's status (see below). As far as I can tell this "change" in policy is mostly a re-assertion of their same old philosophy that only the films and certain sideprojects ever "count" as canon. I think the difference going forward is that they are going to try and make comics, games, books, etc that actually do qualify as the highest level of canon......but I have to imagine that's going to get supremely screwed up anyway.

G-canon is George Lucas Canon; the six Episodes and any statements by George Lucas (including unpublished production notes from him or his production department that are never seen by the public). Elements originating with Lucas in the movie novelizations, reference books, and other sources are also G-canon, though anything created by the authors of those sources is C-canon. When the matter of changes between movie versions arises, the most recently released editions are deemed superior to older ones, as they correct mistakes, improve consistency between the two trilogies, and express Lucas's current vision of the Star Wars universe most closely. The deleted scenes included on the DVDs are also considered G-canon (when they're not in conflict with the movie).[1]

T-canon,[2] or Television Canon[3], refers to the canon level comprising the feature film Star Wars: The Clone Wars and the two television shows Star Wars: The Clone Wars and the Star Wars live-action TV series.[4][5] It was devised recently in order to define a status above the C-Level canon, as confirmed by Chee[6].

C-canon is Continuity Canon, consisting of all recent works (and many older works) released under the name of Star Wars: books, comics, games, cartoons, non-theatrical films, and more. Games are a special case, as generally only the stories are C-canon, while things like stats and gameplay may not be;[7] they also offer non-canonical options to the player, such as choosing female gender for a canonically male character. C-canon elements have been known to appear in the movies, thus making them G-canon; examples include the name "Coruscant," swoop bikes, Quinlan Vos, Aayla Secura, YT-2400 freighters and Action VI transports.

S-canon is Secondary Canon; the materials are available to be used or ignored as needed by current authors. This includes mostly older works, such as much of the Marvel Star Wars comics, that predate a consistent effort to maintain continuity; it also contains certain elements of a few otherwise N-canon stories, and other things that "may not fit just right." Many formerly S-canon elements have been elevated to C-canon through their inclusion in more recent works by continuity-minded authors, while many other older works (such as The Han Solo Adventures) were accounted for in continuity from the start despite their age, and thus were always C-canon.

N is Non-Canon. What-if stories (such as stories published under the Infinities label) and anything else directly and irreconcilably contradicted by higher canon ends up here. N is the only level that is not considered canon by Lucasfilm. Information cut from canon, deleted scenes, or from canceled Star Wars works falls into this category as well, unless another canonical work references it and it is declared canon.

D is Detours Canon, used for material hailing from Star Wars Detours.[8]

curb

Banned
Basically everything in the EU was canon unless GL said it ain't. The Republic comic books are a good example, they were canon until the Clone Wars TV show arrived.

Yup. In one swoop they took that whole hierarchy and threw it out the window. Which I personally think is a good move.

Lord Panda

The Sea is Always Right
I like this idea. Star Trek needed a clean slate and delivered; the one Star Wars is getting allows this while also keeping the basic movies in.

The only thing the new Star Trek movies delivered were steaming piles.

Thrawn would have made an awesome antagonist for the new movies - the guy is basically an evil Sherlock (BBC version).

Ein Bear

The whole EU is worth burning down to get Chewie back, but really, getting worked up about 'canon' is a bit dumb anyway. None of this stuff actually happened, it's all just fiction - just pick and choose what 'counts' yourself. A press release doesn't take away how awesome the KotOR games were, and they'll always be canon in my heart, in the same way that they told me for years that there was an evil Bounty Hunter robot in charge of the Death Star during Return of the Jedi, which was too stupid for me to accept.

How much is the concept of "canon" even WORTH to people. And why? Why does the notion of "canon" supercede the quality of the actual stories within it to such a degree?

Most people weren't reading all these fucking books anyway. So a large majority of the EU never counted in the first place.

It's all make-believe in the end. If you want something to count, then count it. Curate your own canon based on the quality of the stories, not the fact someone can slot it into a timeline.

Darkmakaimura

Can You Imagine What SureAI Is Going To Do With Garfield?
So what happens with SWTOR and KOTOR? Weren't those labelled as "official" by the Lucas man himself?

So what happens with SWTOR and KOTOR? Weren't those labelled as "official" by the Lucas man himself?

At the root, it's all about dat $$$$$. Lucas milked the shit out of Star Wars. Now that someone else owns it, they're fixing to do the same. Which is why they wished away the existing EU.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom