• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars |OT| I have a very good feeling about this...

I liked the space-turtle shuttle, though I agree that Krennic's was way too geometric compared to the Lambda (though my favorite three-wing design is still the Skyhopper.) The FO troop transports are pretty utilitarian, but I do like their engines.

MbtBDGX.png
But which one is the real one?

Yep, it was a troll. The bastard.

Mark Hamill ‏@HamillHimself 1m1 minute ago
Mark Hamill Retweeted Pop Culture Quest
Truth in Advertising Dept.: This would be a 1st look at #EpisodeVIII of #PopCultureQuest. How dare you troll #StarWarsFans? (That's MY job!)

Surfinn

Truth in Advertising Dept.: This would be a 1st look at #EpisodeVIII of #PopCultureQuest. How dare you troll #StarWarsFans? (That's MY job!)
Lol, nice. Hamill strikes again.

Sesuadra

Unconfirmed Member

I want to give him a hug. Love him.

Rian Johnson spoke a bit about VIII with USA Today and why it'll start where TFA finished.

“I don’t want to skip ahead two years. I want to see the very next moment of what happens.” How Rey and Luke relate to each other is the key relationship in Episode VIII, and Johnson says “a large part of the movie” will be spent addressing why Luke’s there and what he’ll do next. Like Luke, Rey has been pulled into a bigger world by connecting with the Force, “but part of what’s she’s dealing with is the realization that she has this power and this gift,” Johnson adds. “She’s taking her first step to coming to terms with this thing inside her that she never knew was there and is just starting to reveal its potential.”

I didn't want them to skip ahead either.

With all the build up to finding Luke and their scene together having no dialogue, I'd be pretty disappointed if we didn't get a continuation of that scene. Skipping it would be really odd even if it does break tradition.

Ezalc

The first scene will probably be Luke explaining things and the whole meeting, but I wouldn't be surprised if there was a timeskip during the movie or something.

curb

Banned
What..? Literally the entire movie led up to their meeting and you don't wanna know what Luke has to say to Rey?

Yeah, I really want to see at least the next few minutes. I'll forgoe a time jump this once in favor of seeing the rest of that meeting.

I wouldn't be surprised if the opening crawl was a description of what happens in the wider galaxy while Rey is with Luke, then we get the follow on from TFA with Rey/Luke, then some kind of timeskip training montage before we rejoin the other characters.

I bet there will be a time skip. I can't imagine they have a whole movie plotted to take place directly after Star Killer Base is destroyed. They might change how the opening of a Star Wars movie starts. Could be:

Galaxy far far away text

Scene continuation of Rey and Luke from TFA, it last a short moment of time to reveal her story and Luke's role. Most likely Rey saying "I have this for you".......Luke speech about how the Force is strong in his family......reveals she is a Skywalker, says the Saber is her's now.....

Quickly cut to Star Wars Theme and wall text for Episode 8.

Wall text ends and we reveal are regrouped First Order.

popcorn.gif

Been thinking about it since that thread about Star Wars games a while back.
I really think it was a missed opportunity on EA and Lucasfilm's part not trying to get an absolute average level Starfighter game out around the release of Rogue One.
Think it would have done incredibly well with how Rogue One was.

Start out doing average Rebels type missions then do a few working with Saw's group, finally building to Eadu and Scarif.

kevin1025

Banned
I think we're getting the Luke/Rey scene, played back and forth from a Kylo Ren/Snoke scene, and then Rey begins her training as Ben finishes his own. That span of time (their training) will be the time jump we normally get between movies.

Total guess, though, of course!

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
Yeah, I really want to see at least the next few minutes. I'll forgoe a time jump this once in favor of seeing the rest of that meeting.
I really want them to pull something unconventional. Like it has a cold open with Luke talking to Rey, drops a major plot bomb, and THEN we get the title scroll and Star Wars theme before a time jump.

I think a time jump would do a lot for Ren in particular. He's been set on a path of personal growth, but it needs time to gestate to be truly meaningful. I'd love to watch him slowly become more Vader-like over the course of the trilogy.

The title for viii has been known since the first draft
5. Episode VIII Already Has A Title.
The director knows it. In fact, he’s had it locked in his mind ever since he started working on Episode VIII a couple of years ago. “It was in the very first draft I wrote,” Johnson says. So how bad does he want to get that big secret off his chest? “I’ll just blurt it out right now!” he jokes. “All in good time, my friend.”
more here: http://www.usatoday.com/story/life/...isode-viii-rian-johnson-mark-hamill/96351428/

Anth0ny

Star Wars Episode VIII: Bad Guys do Something Bad

however you want to pretty that up to make it sound more Star Wars-y is up to you

Just finished The Art of the Force Awakens book. By what is said in the book, I bet it only contains 10% of the art produced for the movie. Really fun book to go through though.

Just finished The Art of the Force Awakens book. By what is said in the book, I bet it only contains 10% of the art produced for the movie. Really fun book to go through though.
Yeah, I'm sure there are volumes upon volumes of stuff we haven't seen. Wouldn't be surprised if after Ep. IX we get an even more comprehensive look.

Yeah, I'm sure there are volumes upon volumes of stuff we haven't seen. Wouldn't be surprised if after Ep. IX we get an even more comprehensive look.

True, I expect there's a lot of stuff they held back for use in the rest of the trilogy. The concept artists seemed to be doing anything and everything in the early days.

MMarston

Was getting caught part of your plan?
True, I expect there's a lot of stuff they held back for use in the rest of the trilogy. The concept artists seemed to be doing anything and everything in the early days.

Though I won't know how all of that would have worked as a final product, I really dug the Nausicaa-esque, rusty Pirate-centric vibe they seemed to be targetting initially.

I think Rey (Kira) was the big mystery where they didn't talk much about her. One interesting thing was a caption comparing her Speeder and Luke's Speeder to a bar of soap. I found it intriguing that they wanted to make that connection. They really didn't dive into the character design too much and that what I wanted to see.

Nodnol

That would be the worst name. I mean even prequel titles are ok in respect to THAT.

Something of Destiny would sound like a Harry Potter fanfic but FORCE sounds horrendous. Never particularly liked The Force Awakens to be fair, but that managed to grow on me I guess.

Top Bottom