• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars Rebels Season 3 |OT| Dark Forces Rising

Status
Not open for further replies.

Slime

Banned
Twin Suns felt abrupt and unearned. It was all plot. I get that Filoni wanted to tie up a loose end, but couldn't he have tied it into part of the larger evolution of these characters at the same time? It seemed like we were going that route with last season's finale and all the Maul bits this season, but when it all came to a head it felt like Ezra was just a trespasser, and we were seeing a fragment of a Clone Wars episode.

I thought this was Rebels' greatest misstep so far. For the whole season I thought we were building toward some character arc for Ezra that somehow included Maul and Obi-Wan, but it almost feels like they scrapped that and tried to use it as an awkward excuse to have a bit of a fan service.

The samurai duel was cool. The Alec Guiness impression was cool. But what did ths episode have to do with anything, again?

Twin Suns felt abrupt and unearned. It was all plot. I get that Filoni wanted to tie up a loose end, but couldn't he have tied it into part of the larger evolution of these characters at the same time? It seemed like we were going that route with last season's finale and all the Maul bits this season, but when it all came to a head it felt like Ezra was just a trespasser, and we were seeing a fragment of a Clone Wars episode.

I thought this was Rebels' greatest misstep so far. For the whole season I thought we were building toward some character arc for Ezra that somehow included Maul and Obi-Wan, but it almost feels like they scrapped that and tried to use it as an awkward excuse to have a bit of a fan service.

The samurai duel was cool. The Alec Guiness impression was cool. But what did ths episode have to do with anything, again?

Rebels so far hasn't really added anything to the Star Wars universe beyond Ahsoka and Vader's confrontation, which shows some of Ahsoka's character development after TCW. Other than that, the show could not exist and the OT wouldn't be any less rich.

I think Rebels has made some good contributions. The existence and story of Kanan and Hera is a positive addition to the canon (counting the novel and comic). Telling the story of one Padawan who got away and grew up to be a charter member of the Rebellion has been pretty interesting, as has the story of Cham Syndula's daughter who also helped form the rebellion (and that in turn fleshed out post TCW Ryloth, which is insightful to see how a planet like that fared under the Empire vs the Republic).

They also gave us Rae Sloane, who has been used to explore an Imperial point of view from someone who is more of a pragmatic, lawful neutral type Imperial (as opposed to the traditional "sheer cartoon evil cackling space wizard" version).

And in general, the show has helped flesh out more of the Rebel Alliance origin story... the separate groups coming together, etc.

Can someone help me out? Which episodes of season 3 rebels should I watch for lore reasons? :D

First: the requisite answer you knew you'd get, which is watch them all, they're only like 20 minutes long.

But, I know you're not looking for that answer so:

S3E1/E2 - The premiere, so watch it of course. Introduces Thrawn, etc
E3 - advances the Maul storyline, has Bendu - probably should watch too
E4 - filler, but introduces [new semi-occasional Rebels character originally from the OT movies]
young Wedge
, so it's up to you
E5 - pretty good Hera episode, fleshes out Thrawn some more, adds some Ryloth lore
E6 - filler, but great episode... if you loved TCW, don't skip
E7 - Mandalore storyline begins here.
E8 - Introduces some shitty new characters.
E9 - Hondo. Okay episode, but not essential.
E10 - More Thrawn, slow advancement of the overall S3 story. Eh.
E11 - No spoilers, but DON'T skip it.
E12/13 - Two parter that features a character from Rogue One
/TCW
that was famously heavily advertised and you already know what it is. Don't skip this.
E14 - Filly Filler. Advances Thrawn a few millimeters.
E15/16 - Mandalore storyline continues. Fleshes out Sabine big time, adds to Mandalore lore. Great episodes. All three Mandalore episodes (3, 15 16) break away from the main storyline, but I wouldn't skip them.
E17 - Shit hits the fan on the Imperial side. Don't Skip.
E 18 - Things escalate even more, and hugely important canon things happen. Absolutely don't skip.
E 19 - One last filler-y break before the climax. You can totally live without this one, but it's a decent episode that shows some Imperial day to day. Dubious but entertaining resolution.
E 20 - If you like Star Wars, DO NOT SKIP.
E 21/22 - Two part season finale that will air four days from now. You know the answer here. Don't miss it!

Good luck!

Rebels so far hasn't really added anything to the Star Wars universe beyond Ahsoka and Vader's confrontation, which shows some of Ahsoka's character development after TCW. Other than that, the show could not exist and the OT wouldn't be any less rich.
What now? Rebels re-established a lot of history to the canon, with ancient ruins and super powered weapons that, while not necessarily re-contextualizing the OT, will likely inform the development of threats to the universe going forward.

Moff

finally caught up

the maul fight was great, I loved how short it was, fit the characters perfectly and it was badass
I never liked maul, even as a kid when I saw him at the movie theatre, I just felt he was a punk, an edgelord punk. but this final fight was cool, and of course the one against sidious with savage, but the kenobi fight had a lot more style. love how it was done.

however my final episodes of the second season so far were easily the mandalore ones. I don't think I ever cared for a Rebels Original character before, but that was just great.

the saw gerrera episodes were incredibly boring, but some of the filler episodes actually had cool little stories, I especially liked the one with double agent chopper. also: that imperial inventory droid is the best original character on the show. Kallus is starting to grow on me, though, but he should have switched sides last season.

I wonder if they'll kill of thrawn in the finale, he is ok, but just a shadow of his original self. When they entered his office in the Kallus episode I hoped those were Ysalamiri there and that he would spar against Rukh, a man can dream. at least they named the Chymera, unless I missed that before.

anyway, pumped for tomorrow, I don't think I ever felt about that on Rebels, I think it was a really good season with the usual downers.

Heads up - I was checking DirecTV to make sure it was going to record both episodes tomorrow night and it shows that it was not. Investigating, I found out they're airing the finale at 11:00am/11:30am *and* 8:00pm/8:30pm. If you want to see it early now's your chance.

CS_Dan

Everything about the Bendu in this episode was completely bizarre, but I think I liked it. The way it attacked everyone regardless of allegiance felt fitting, and I was legit surprised when Thrawn managed to shoot him down. Kinda thought Thrawn would have been killed off then and there.

Unit 33

Everything about the Bendu in this episode was completely bizarre, but I think I liked it. The way it attacked everyone regardless of allegiance felt fitting, and I was legit surprised when Thrawn managed to shoot him down. Kinda thought Thrawn would have been killed off then and there.

I presume he pulled an Obi Wan and became one with the force.
Bendu was a bit of deus ex machina, but I suppose it makes some amount of sense that the only thing that can 'defeat' Thrawn is some totally unforseen bullshit he didn't know about.

What can military genius do against a flying death cloud? Apparently just blast the bastard until it falls out of the sky!

smik

Rebels is in desperate need of more 2 to 3 part story arcs, rebels characters are not gettting any proper shine and plot and action is getting shoved into 20 minute single episodes.

The Obi wan vs maul episide desperately needed a 2 or 3 part arc, there was so much to expand there, obi , maul and ezra all deserved it.

Dave filoni confirms the episode length problem in rebels recon with many deleted scenes, really miss the long 2-4 part episodes, 20 minutes is simply not enough to be fully engaged and feel the characters progression

All the best episodes are longer the 1 episode and thats for good reason, rebels finale zero hour was good but not on the level of s1 or s2

lawnchair

Banned
how's the grand admiral doing?

in the books he's this analytical smart fella, and his intelligence is often shown through him talking over a lengthy detailed explanation of his plans/analysis with captain pellaeon. how does this work in the cartoon?

Gravidee

in the books he's this analytical smart fella, and his intelligence is often shown through him talking over a lengthy detailed explanation of his plans/analysis with captain pellaeon. how does this work in the cartoon?

From how you're describing it, he pretty much does things the same way.

sphagnum

Banned

That's basically how it is, his plan here is just smaller since the war hasn't even started yet. He's trying to root out rebels, not establish his own empire.

Tsunamo

I'm genuinely shocked they killed off commander Sato, I guess in-canon that may be what inspires the hammerhead ram move in Rogue One. I wasn't a fan of how we didn't really get something akin to what season 2 ends on where Ezra opens the holocron, but we'll see season 4 in a couple of weeks so no biggie. Enjoyable two parter.
Yeah I enjoyed how he stayed nutural. I was a bit worried he was gonna side with the Rebels after Kanan trying to stir him into doing something, but he remained nutural, it just happened to work in the rebels favor
oh boy, gimme the next season please

https://www.reddit.com/r/starwarsre...ar_wars_celebration_season_4_sneak_peak_date/
It'll be awhile before we see it air, but at least we'll get a trailer soon.

Man that was an intense episode.

Honestly can't see where they go next tbh.

Maybe thrawn will study the force because of his convo with Bendu?

Toxi

Banned
They also gave us Rae Sloane, who has been used to explore an Imperial point of view from someone who is more of a pragmatic, lawful neutral type Imperial (as opposed to the traditional "sheer cartoon evil cackling space wizard" version).
Sloane wasn't in Rebels though.

Sayers

Really enjoyed the finale. Wasn't as good as last season's finale but I don't know that that is a fair comparison. Action was pretty good, they kept the tension high throughout.

Really looking forward to Season 4. I wonder if the scope is going to expand even further since they are
retreating to Yavin or if the huge setback and requisite rebuild will make it more like Seasons 1 and 2.

TDLink

Good finale. Not as good as Season 2's but that's probably impossible considering the build up there was with Vader and Ahsoka. And to be fair in that regard, I would even say that the S2 finale was a great episode of Star Wars but this one was probably better for Star Wars Rebels specifically.

Things are finally starting to feel like a Rebel Alliance! It isn't just about Ezra and his goofy friends have misadventures in kidnapping.

Back half of this season (since the Geonosis 2 parter) really has been much better. The show would still be stronger with more 2 parters (or even 3+ parters) but I'm glad it's at least gotten to this point. Of course, this half did consist of three 2 parters basically so...that's a big part of it.

Thrawn has been a good consistent antagonist. I'm glad he's still around for Season 4. Hopefully next season continues to improve now that the Rebel Alliance is really coming together.

Boem

The Bendu was one big deus ex machina, but well, if you're going to put Tom Baker in Star Wars that's strangely fitting. I was rolling my eyes a bit at that (if the main villain of the story is especially known as a genius strategist it's a bit of a bummer his plans are foiled by a magic god cloud in the big finale after so much build up, rather than the rebels trying to beat him at his own game), but again: Tom freaking Baker. I can forgive them. Making sense doesn't really matter when he's involved, he's bigger than any story he's involved in.

Sayers

The Bendu was one big deus ex machina, but well, if you're going to put Tom Baker in Star Wars that's strangely fitting. I was rolling my eyes a bit at that (if the main villain of the story is especially known as a genius strategist it's a bit of a bummer his plans are foiled by a magic god cloud in the big finale after so much build up, rather than the rebels trying to beat him at his own game), but again: Tom freaking Baker. I can forgive them. Making sense doesn't really matter when he's involved, he's bigger than any story he's involved in.

It makes sense though that
the thing that ends up wrecking Thrawn's plans is something he cannot comprehend and thus cannot anticipate.

Tapejara

Great finale (as usual).

Thoughts:

Zero Hour was paced really well. Lots of tension which I feel is sometimes missing from Rebels. I'm glad they're keeping Thrawn around for next season. He's a great character (plus I love his voice), and I think there's still more they can do with him.

One small detail I enjoyed was when Hera called Kanan "love." Their relationship isn't really focused on in the show, and I think it's nice to see it acknowledged every once in a while.

With Season 4 in near future, one thing from the finale I'm curious about is Bendu. Specifically, whether Palpatine will take interest in a God-like being of the Force and its possible connection with the Rebellion. I'd really like to see an episode where Palpatine goes to investigate Atollon for himself. Would make for a good lore focused episode.

Also, for some reason DisneyXDHD was only broadcasting in SD 4:3 for me today. So thanks Bell/DisneyXDHD, I don't know what made you guys pick today of all days to mess that up.

Back half of this season (since the Geonosis 2 parter) really has been much better. The show would still be stronger with more 2 parters (or even 3+ parters) but I'm glad it's at least gotten to this point. Of course, this half did consist of three 2 parters basically so...that's a big part of it.

I agree, the second half of season 3 has been much more consistent in terms of quality. I'd like to see more TCW-length arcs in season 4 as well.

His obsession with Bendu's prophecy is gonna be his downfall I think.

This is how I see it as well.

Sayers

Dave specifically mentions wrapping up TCW stories that he never got to finish when talking about Season 4 in the Recon.

I hope the dude gets to finish Rebels, there has to be an endgame in sight or planned.
Presumably the "Endgame" is going to be either Season 4 or Season 5, considering we're now what, a year before Rogue One's main story begins?

I hope Season 4 has a large focus on the Mandalorians, because it's going to be kind of shitty if they just drop that narrative for Sabine after all the build up. We know that Ezra/Kanan have to die somehow in the future to make "Last of the Jedi" make sense.

As for Thrawn(Spoilers for a lot of the new EU content)
I'm fully expecting him to survive the Rebellion. The Bendu appearing before him is the first sign that Thrawn has of the Force, and I can see Palpatine entrusting Thrawn to go after whatever is in the Unknown Region he was obsessed art Aftermath. It also works into the idea of Filoni working on a ST Era show, where presumably Thrawn would return (if he's not in the ST proper.)

Toxi

Banned
God, the scale problems in the finale are just distracting. I know scale's not exactly consistent in Star Wars, but this is the worst I've seen by far.

There's a scene where a Y-Wing crashes into a Star Destroyer and it's literally the size of the entire bridge.

TDLink

Presumably the "Endgame" is going to be either Season 4 or Season 5, considering we're now what, a year before Rogue One's main story begins?

I hope Season 4 has a large focus on the Mandalorians, because it's going to be kind of shitty if they just drop that narrative for Sabine after all the build up. We know that Ezra/Kanan have to die somehow in the future to make "Last of the Jedi" make sense.

As for Thrawn(Spoilers for a lot of the new EU content)
I'm fully expecting him to survive the Rebellion. The Bendu appearing before him is the first sign that Thrawn has of the Force, and I can see Palpatine entrusting Thrawn to go after whatever is in the Unknown Region he was obsessed art Aftermath. It also works into the idea of Filoni working on a ST Era show, where presumably Thrawn would return (if he's not in the ST proper.)

I would like Thrawn to show up in the ST bu I feel like he won't. For whatever reason the tv series and films are still being kept separate to a great extent. It's not as separated as, say, what Marvel is doing...but it's still pretty limited. We got small visual and audio nods in something like Rogue One, and a pretty minor TCW character put into a supporting role (where he is essentially a completely different character). But I don't see them ever putting in major characters or plotlines that originate in the shows into the films. This is why Darth Maul has been confined to the TV shows following his resurrection. And why I feel popular characters like Asaaj Ventress, Ahsoka, Rex (Ret-conned ROTJ background character aside), any of the Rebels main cast, and Thrawn will never show up in the movies.

It's too bad of course because I would love to see more crossover, especially since the shows have been able to weave in a lot of the cooler former-EU stuff into the canon.

I get the vibe though that part of it has to do with the films wanting to stay away from any major characters being aliens (for some reason) unless they were in the OT (like Chewbacca or Yoda).

Sir Doom

I think I this is the best season finale so far for the series. It's the culmination of all the build.

I wish they would have continued the bombardment and the rebels dug in deeper into the caves which resulted to ground assault.

I hope next season they stopped doing episodic, and just do 2-3 episodes arc

Toxi

Banned
I found the finale kinda disappointing.

The battle wasn't great. The constant scale issues really are a problem; it's hard to feel intimidated by Thrawn's bombardment when we see Kanan and his speeder bike barely scratched by a point-blank turbolaser. Thrawn doesn't really do anything particularly clever outside leaving an Interdictor at the back of the fleet. That's a huge problem when the character's entire narrative purpose is being a genius. I think a good example of how Thrawn is written poorly is when we see the smaller walkers run over the mines and he says "Now we know their mine locations" and you think he's going to do something about it... And instead he just has the AT-ATs walk over the mines. LOL

The Bendu was cool. I like that they kept the neutral aspect with him attacking everyone. Thrawn ordering his men to fire at a talking storm cloud was kinda hilarious, even if it actually worked. Tom Baker's voice acting really carries a lot of the finale.

There weren't any real strong character moments. Which is very disappointing after the fantastic Ezra and Maul relationship and Ahsoka vs Anakin confrontation of the season 2 finale.

Gravidee

There's a scene where a Y-Wing crashes into a Star Destroyer and it's literally the size of the entire bridge.

I thought something about that looked off too, but I think it simply exploded in the foreground of the ISD, rather than actually crashing into it.

Sayers

I hope Season 4 has a large focus on the Mandalorians, because it's going to be kind of shitty if they just drop that narrative for Sabine after all the build up.

Dave specifically mentions the Mandalorians when talking about Season 4 on Rebels Recon. Also, there was a report several months ago that
Bo-Katan
was going to be appearing on Rebels.

I thought something about that looked off too, but I think it simply exploded in the foreground of the ISD, rather than actually crashing into it.

I'm pretty sure I know exactly which one you are talking about because it jumped out at me too. I'm pretty sure it didn't crash, it exploded.

Dave specifically mentions the Mandalorians when talking about Season 4 on Rebels Recon. Also, there was a report several months ago that
Bo-Katan
was going to be appearing on Rebels.

I'm pretty sure I know exactly which one you are talking about because it jumped out at me too. I'm pretty sure it didn't crash, it exploded.

What possible arc could they explore with her, now that Maul has been taken out of the picture?

Also, how many more seasons do you think this show has in it? And what would be the logical finale? Would it be ending right at the events of A New Hope, or more with something along the lines of liberating Lothal so that it's payoff isn't so tethered to the films? Or is there the distinct possibility of it wrapping up during the events of Return of the Jedi?

sphagnum

Banned
I liked the finale but didn't love it. Something about it felt strangely low key despite literally everything happening being epic. Maybe it was the music.

I hope Rae Sloane and Krennic show up in season 4. Would be cool if they could fit Gallius Rax in there somehow too. I expect some stuff that will tie in with the Han Solo movie, but since Dave mentioned how things will integrate more with RO Mabel we'll get Jedha, Cassian, and Drayven.

a916

That wasn't good... it was pretty underwhelming and the Bendu thing is almost offensive. Showing up at the end to save everyone with these undefined powers...

This seemed like a good compromise on having a big space battle where the Empire took some hits, while also keeping Rogue One as the first actual major victory of the Rebellion. Hell, you can imagine this being in the backs of the minds of the Rebel leaders when weighing up whether or not to commit forces to Scarif.

Also I don't mind the
Bendu playing deus ex machina. It's not as if it came completely out of nowhere - they show every moment of Kanan trying to convince him, and eventually pissing him off - and it provides a showcase of the sheer power of the force. Such is perhaps a little odd in Rebels given its leanings on OT-era approaches to such things, but it fits with how the Bendu was established - an ancient and very powerful thing, whose knowledge of the force runs deep.

Then again, I also appreciate that moment for confronting a particular debate in Star Wars that flared up from the wording of the Chosen One prophecy, and how Kotor 2 deified Revan: The value of neutrality. The Bendu is wise, powerful, and neutral - everything a particular strain of Star Wars fan loves. Kanan calls that out for being ultimately uncaring of the evil that's left unhindered because neutral, to which the Bendu gets defensive, thinking himself above the 'petty' squabbles of the galaxy.
It was... kinda cathartic for me, I will be honest.

Toxi

Banned
Then again, I also appreciate that moment for confronting a particular debate in Star Wars that flared up from the wording of the Chosen One prophecy, and how Kotor 2 deified Revan: The value of neutrality. The Bendu is wise, powerful, and neutral - everything a particular strain of Star Wars fan loves. Kanan calls that out for being ultimately uncaring of the evil that's left unhindered because neutral, to which the Bendu gets defensive, thinking himself above the 'petty' squabbles of the galaxy.
It was... kinda cathartic for me, I will be honest.
I like the way the Bendu
was clearly on nobody's side but his own after he got pissed off.

Really, everything involving the Bendu was easily the most interesting part of the season 3 finale. Everything else was just bland and underwhelming.

antonz

That wasn't good... it was pretty underwhelming and the Bendu thing is almost offensive. Showing up at the end to save everyone with these undefined powers...

Seemed like the Bendu was using its own version of what Palpatine had in the old EU with Force Storms. Obviously Palpatines version did not require him to be in the storm and could do a lot more but similar enough.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom