• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars Squadrons, Ghost Runner, and Alien Isolation Free for Prime Members

Lognor

Banned
Thanks for the heads up. I add these free games every month but never end up playing them.

I think the only free game I've actually ended up playing is Nioh which was given away on Epic Games. It's decent, but such a blatant Dark Souls rip off it makes me laugh.

MiguelItUp

That's honestly a solid list of games. All solid experiences. Appreciate the heads up OP!

To anyone that hasn't played Alien Isolation, please for the love of god give it a shot. It's so incredibly good IMO.

FrankWza

Thanks for the heads up. I add these free games every month but never end up playing them.

I think the only free game I've actually ended up playing is Nioh which was given away on Epic Games. It's decent, but such a blatant Dark Souls rip off it makes me laugh.
Fail Eli Manning GIF

Notabueno

Banned
I thought I'd bite, then I saw Squadrons was for Origins, Ghostrunner for GOG, the rest I already have...yup that's why I don't anybody subscribed to Prime, cancelled at the speed of light.

Haggard

Banned
You don't agree that it's a dark souls rip off? They even have the same fake chests that turn out to be monsters.
The fighting, the pacing, the level design and especially the loot system in Nioh and Nioh2 have nothing to do with dark souls,. It's difficult, 3rd person and has level checkpoints, and that's where the similarities end.
If that counts as a dark souls ripoff then there have been hundreds of ripoffs before dark souls even existed......
Mimics weren't invented by from software btw, these are from the D&D universe originally.

Last edited:

EDMIX

Same.

One day.....one day.

A lot of what they put out of free is really fucking good too, so good...I already got them when they came out lol So I think they are doing a good job, even if its a lot of games I already own.

I agree with most that are saying Nioh 1 and 2 are not really Dark Souls rip offs, keep in mind, I thought that at first too, but really play the game and you'll see its not really one. Would be like saying all 3rd person shooters online are Socom rip offs or something. Some sir, all no. I didn't know this until I really actually played a lot of it and realized its not really a Souls wannabe, its very much its own thing and I think its worth the time to play it if you are a Souls fan as it doesn't feel like yet another Souls game type thing.

It holds its own.

Last edited:

Vaelka

Squadrons is a very fun game, it just sucks that it was abandoned large scale battles would've been incredible.

Lognor

Banned
The fighting, the pacing, the level design and especially the loot system in Nioh and Nioh2 have nothing to do with dark souls,. It's difficult, 3rd person and has level checkpoints, and that's where the similarities end.
If that counts as a dark souls ripoff then there have been hundreds of ripoffs before dark souls even existed......
Mimics weren't invented by from software btw, these are from the D&D universe originally.
I'll give you the loot system. Yes, the combat is different with more weapon types and the living weapon, but still similar with blocking, dodging, and attacking. And there of course is the stamina gauge which is similar. There is the similarity with saving and enemies respawning and when you die you leave your souls (or whatever it's called in Nioh) behind. And if you die before collecting them, you lose them. EXACTLY THE SAME as Dark Souls. So no, that's not "where the similarities end."

It also has the similarity with the co-op system where you can't just easily play co-op. You need a useable item to summon someone. It's the same type of archaic system.

Come off it, of course Nioh is HEAVILY inspired by Dark Souls. If you don't like the term rip off, that's fine. To me, it is. I might not be the biggest Dark Souls fan, but I've played all three games and Nioh feels like a rip off to me. It's its own thing, sure, but there are far too many similarities to write it off as unique.

Lognor

Banned
Same.

One day.....one day.

A lot of what they put out of free is really fucking good too, so good...I already got them when they came out lol So I think they are doing a good job, even if its a lot of games I already own.

I agree with most that are saying Nioh 1 and 2 are not really Dark Souls rip offs, keep in mind, I thought that at first too, but really play the game and you'll see its not really one. Would be like saying all 3rd person shooters online are Socom rip offs or something. Some sir, all no. I didn't know this until I really actually played a lot of it and realized its not really a Souls wannabe, its very much its own thing and I think its worth the time to play it if you are a Souls fan as it doesn't feel like yet another Souls game type thing.

It holds its own.
I am playing it, and enjoying it. But it doesn't mean to me that it's not a rip off. A rip off doesn't need to be bad. It's a decent game. Not Dark Souls, but a fun time waster until Elden Rings releases or until I can play Demons Souls.

Tschumi

Ghost Runner... I was super intense about playing that last year, i thought it looked super cool... I'd like someone to tell me what it's like lol i never got around to getting it and now I'm not sure if it would be a good thing to spend money on since nobody ever mentions it

Top Bottom