• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wkd Box Office 12•25-27•15 - Star Wars never changes. 1B+ global BO for new record

Status
Not open for further replies.

WillyFive

What percentage is he getting?

ForceAwakens7Text.gif

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Can't believe so many people went out to see Daddy's Home based on those dreadful commercials.

Big drop compared with the rest of the Top 10.

You subtract the 57mil that came in on Thursday night previews, you have 190 Fri-Sun. 153 is a 20% drop. But even if you count the previews (and you have to) a 38% hold isn't a "big drop" by any normal box-office estimation, and certainly not from the single biggest opening weekend ever (by about 40 mil)

Of the 3 sequels I gave a shit about this year, I had it:

1) Mad Max
2) CREED
3) TFA

You have it correct.

WillyFive

Chamber

love on your sleeve
Jurassic World got a 6.9 as AoU got 7.0 user scores for comparison.

I'm not saying 7.2 is terrible, I was just surprised it wasn't higher considering its reception and strong WOM.

7 is strong word of mouth. You can't make as much money as Jurassic World and Avengers without people liking the movie.

Jumeira

Banned
JJ first billion dollar movie? Also got the other billion dollar director for Ep9, its up to Rian to join the billion dollar club now.

jman2050

Once the initial swell of nostalgia washes over, you come to the realization that TFA didn't have much of a story, had so-so VFX, was all just a setup for the next two Star Wars saga films, and is an overall mediocre film.

I wonder if you guys actually believe the stuff you're saying.

Jaeger

It's destroying avatar. But avatar won out because it had ridiculous legs. I'm not sure star wars can repeat that. The hype is what is doing this. Once that goes down, people will become more level headed.

Any Star Wars film has more legs than Dancing with Space Wolves.

jett

D-Member
Of the 3 sequels I gave a shit about this year, I had it:

1) Mad Max
2) CREED
3) TFA

These aren't all sequels but whatevz

1. Mad Max
2. Sicario
3. Creed
4. Steve Jobs
5. Kingsman
6. Inside Out
7. The Martian
8. Peanuts
9. Star Wars
10. Bridge of Spies

I have not seen The Revenant of Hateful Eight though.

Insane numbers. 500 million dollars in 10 days (Jurassic Park reached the 400 million dollars milestone on day 10 of its run, and it needed one more week to reach 500 millions), it will probably reach 600 million dollars by Tuesday. 150 million dollars on its second weekend is almost twice the previous December opening weekend record. It beats the previous second weekend record by approximately 50 million dollars. It will likely make more than 100 million dollars on its third weekend. Amazing run.

Was wondering why this seemed relatively quiet, looks like there's a completely different thread discussing essentially the exact same shit.

Looks like Spectre might not limp its way to 200 mil before it gets yanked.

. It will likely make more than 100 million dollars on its third weekend. Amazing run.

I'm still not sure about "likely" but the fact it's even in that range is ridiculous, as that's never happened before. It'll take at least the 4th weekend before The Force Awakens has a 3-day that's less than the previous December record holder.

GhaleonEB

I am going to need 145 mil for my "Gleaming the Cube" remake

Give this man all the monies.

I think Disney is being conservative with their Sunday drop for TFA, wouldn't be surprised to see actuals tick up a bit as they did last week.

Domestically, The Force Awakens will top Titanic next weekend,and Avatar the one after.

Krampus topped $40m, at $56m total, on a $15m budget. Nice.

border

Schools still out for another week, and the New Year's holiday is Friday as well.

How much money will they have made by next Monday?

I really don't understand why people always add
"does such and such country or the international market in general even care about such and such franchise?"

Yeah the Titanic and Avatar franchises were huge internationally before their movies even released!

jman2050

Give this man all the monies.

I think Disney is being conservative with their Sunday drop for TFA, wouldn't be surprised to see actuals tick up a bit as they did last week.

Domestically, The Force Awakens will top Titanic next weekend,and Avatar the one after.

Seems like there's a very outside shot at it passing Avatar as soon as next weekend if the weeklies hold insanely well.

Chunky

Doubtful. Knowing it was going to be a trilogy, the studio would have contracted and signed all the leader actors for the three movies from the start.

I doubt the contract means much if either of them turn around and say, "add another 0 onto that figure or I walk you cunts".
They'd have to ask a rather ridiculous amount before Disney would be willing to risk their potential profits.

I really don't understand why people always add
"does such and such country or the international market in general even care about such and such franchise?"

Yeah the Titanic and Avatar franchises were huge internationally before their movies even released!

Avatar was being pushed by new 3D technology. the actual film was forgettable. Alice in wonderland cruised to a billion easily for the same reason despite being a trash film.

Future

JJ Abrams dude. God damn. Doesn't need to work anymore, hell could have stopped a long time ago. Wasn't he set to get 2.5% gross or something?

JeTmAn81

I doubt the contract means much if either of them turn around and say, "add another 0 onto that figure or I walk you cunts".
They'd have to ask a rather ridiculous amount before Disney would be willing to risk their potential profits.

You're assuming the extra money would be worth getting sued for contract breach and ruining their reputation in their industry.

firelogic

That's not how contracts work. And the likelihood of Ridley/Boyega walking away from the next two movies is zero. Even if they weren't getting paid anything.

Granted, they're getting a raw deal from a financial standpoint in the short term but that's to be expected for complete unknowns. But with the exposure they're getting and will get, they can pick and choose roles and set their asking price at whatever they want. Especially since they're both good actors.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
Schools still out for another week, and the New Year's holiday is Friday as well.

How much money will they have made by next Monday?

Even a low end estimate should have it over 700M by next Monday. Outside shot of it surpassing Avatar by then.

You're assuming the extra money would be worth getting sued for contract breach and ruining their reputation in their industry.

Yep. they'd be sued into oblivion if they tried, and would be banned from working in hollywood again pretty much ever. They'd be looking at a career of lifetime original movies...maybe.

Monique got herself blackballed from working for way less than this after winning an oscar.

CassSept

I'm still not sure about "likely" but the fact it's even in that range is ridiculous, as that's never happened before. It'll take at least the 4th weekend before The Force Awakens has a 3-day that's less than the previous December record holder.

Hey, next weekend is already January.

Which means TFA's 3rd weekend will be the biggest January weekend ever.

Dead

well not really...yet
Avatar was being pushed by new 3D technology. the actual film was forgettable. Alice in wonderland cruised to a billion easily for the same reason despite being a trash film.
Avatar succeeded based on James Cameron's god tier filmmaking and vision

Alice made money based on what the filmmaker saw as a gimmick.

$1 Bil is nothing in the face of $3 Bil. two clearly level different levels of success.

GhaleonEB

Hey, next weekend is already January.

Which means TFA's 3rd weekend will be the biggest January weekend ever.

This just accentuates how absurd things are, I burst out laughing at this. And the January crown goes to - The Force Awakens third weekend. Amazing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom