• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars: The Last Jedi trailer

Lizzy

Unconfirmed Member
Pablo said the "It is you!" was in reference to him realizing that she was indeed the "awakening" that he and Snoke felt.
JJ has also said that Kylo know of her but hasn't met her before the Force Awakens. Remember the "What girl?!" line early on.

Surfinn

I haven't seen any evidence to suggest that Han, Leia, and Chewie know who she is.

There is evidence, at least that they know more information than they're letting on; I listed it on the other page. Deliberately filmed shots, coupled with various lines of dialogue

JJ has also said that Kylo know of her but hasn't met her before the Force Awakens. Remember the "What girl?!" line early on.

Where does JJ say they've never met? Even if he's never met her, it's possible he knows more about her than what we see in the film.

I took "what girl" as.. THAT girl?

Sephzilla

Luke being the ultimate villain is where i think they will go, but not because he is evil, just because he feels he needs to do what he has to to save the bigger picture.

Luke being the villain would completely shit on his character from the original trilogy, though

sphagnum

Banned

If you're referring to this:

"One of the new relationships that we were focusing on was between Kylo Ren and Rey. They’ve never met but he's heard of this girl."

That sounds to me like he could just be talking about when the one officer reports about the Falcon being stolen.

The WHAT GIRL?! line is the only strange part.

I don't think Luke necessarily needs to be the "villain". But I can totally see him going down the path of revenge and offing Snoke or Kylo.

Mr Cola

Brothas With Attitude / The Wrong Brotha to Fuck Wit / Die Brotha Die / Brothas in Paris
Luke being the villain would completely shit on his character from the original trilogy, though

Villain might be the wrong word but he will perhaps be th eone they need to stop, his motives would be good if he did it, I personally think hes going to kill Kylo.

Also they said it would be shocking, also Hamill said he didnt like the direction they took Luke in originally until he talked to Rian...

Yeah, I don't buy for a moment that Johnson would fuck over the character (and the significance of the original trilogy) by turning Luke into a villain.

As it is, I think he's walking a precarious line by having Luke be a failed and broken mentor and potential Jedi apostate. I think he'll make it work but I also expect Luke to show his heroic side at some point before his final exit.

Also, Kathleen Kennedy would never approve of that type of story arc.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
I don't think Luke necessarily needs to be the "villain". But I can totally see him going down the path of revenge and offing Snoke or Kylo.

For Luke, I REALLY hope he doesn't have that BS scene where he could take out Kylo but can't because he still loves him or something. If Luke is anywhere near Kylo, I want him to go fucking Hulk on Kylo's ass and not even have a second of hesitation to kill his punk ass.

JvKIL3m.gif

But with Lightsabers.

Surfinn

Villain might be the wrong word but he will perhaps be th eone they need to stop, his motives would be good if he did it, I personally think hes going to kill Kylo.

Also they said it would be shocking, also Hamill said he didnt like the direction they took Luke in originally until he talked to Rian...

I think a lot of what Mark didn't like is what we see in the trailer. How he turns away and is afraid of Rey's raw abilities.

I just want Luke to have one amazing display of Force power before the end.

Have Rey got stomped by Ren, about to die/turn. Then Luke shows up and just stomps him.

Hell, do a callback to Kylo blocking a blaster bolt in the first movie and have him try to hit Luke with his saber-

Only to have Luke just stand there and block the strike with nothing but the force.

I honestly don't think that Luke is the villain.

But I do think that maybe there's more to Rey than what we're thinking. I don't mean it as in like a reincarnated chosen one, but something else. Something more.

Snoke may very well likely have full knowledge of that. But I think Kylo Ren doesn't have the full picture. Just bits and pieces given to him by Snoke.

I think that Rey may form a mastery of both light and dark sides. Not in a Gray Jedi way. She isn't going to be apathetic to both sides. But I do believe that she'll find a way to balance light and darkness for the sole purpose of vanquishing the dark side.

kevin1025

Banned

"One of the new relationships that we were focusing on was between Kylo Ren and Rey. They’ve never met but he's heard of this girl."

That sounds to me like he could just be talking about when the one officer reports about the Falcon being stolen.

The way he says that line immediately sparked in me that he knows of her. Maybe Snoke has talked of her in the past, or in my theory he remembers her from his childhood, and so even at the slight mention of a woman helping them, it made him relentless to find her.

Lizzy

Unconfirmed Member

Exactly. He's heard of her. Or, rather, he knows of a girl by some means who is extremely powerful in the force. A girl. What girl?

TheOfficeMut

Unconfirmed Member
What if the twist is that Luke, out of fear and paranoia of Kylo and others becoming too strong, tried to burn down his own academy and when Kylo found out, fought and nearly killed him, hence him being buried in the rubble.

I am talking out of my ass.

Voidwolf

I haven't seen any evidence to suggest that Han, Leia, and Chewie know who she is.
That doesn't confirm anything, the whole plot or script hasn't been leaked this time around. On that note, I'm all for speculation talk but if you have anything to add based off the spoilers or leaks you've read, please tag it, I don't wanna know.

Pablo said the "It is you!" was in reference to him realizing that she was indeed the "awakening" that he and Snoke felt.
I don't buy it, he knows something more. It's not like they'd confirm anything and spoil it for us.

From the novel:
Rey appeared equally shocked that her reach for the device had exceeded his. She gazed down at the weapon now resting in her grip.

“It is you,” Ren murmured.

His words unsettled her: Not for the first time, he seemed to know more about her than she did about herself.

His face is also half blue/red.

So Iron Man?

Or King Arthur, who has honorable intentions but still sees his plans go amok.

I think Luke is also being positioned to be the harbinger of a new way of thinking about the Force; less binary and exclusive and more expansive and inclusive.

Which would mean he would finally help to facilitate the oft-cited prophecy of balance to the Force.

One of the things the prequels did well was demonstrate that the Old Jedi Order was dogmatic, rigid and inflexible and their rigidity is largely why they were easy to destroy. When Luke talks of ending the Jedi, I think that ties back directly to the prequels and specifically the many mistakes the Jedi council made in how they handled his father.

I also think Luke has become more akin to somebody like Qui Gon, who was considered a rogue and outlier specifically because he didn't subscribe to intractable dogma.

JB1981

But I do think that maybe there's more to Rey than what we're thinking. I don't mean it as in like a reincarnated chosen one, but something else. Something more.

Snoke may very well likely have full knowledge of that. But I think Kylo Ren doesn't have the full picture. Just bits and pieces given to him by Snoke.

I think that Rey may form a mastery of both light and dark sides. Not in a Gray Jedi way. She isn't going to be apathetic to both sides. But I do believe that she'll find a way to balance light and darkness for the sole purpose of vanquishing the dark side.

But if she vanquishes the Dark Side then there is no more conflict

Surfinn

But I do think that maybe there's more to Rey than what we're thinking.

It's heavily suggested in TFA. I just don't know exactly what it is. I do think there was something significant that happened to/with Rey that caused someone to drop her off on a desolate planet.

It wasn't by chance. Something big set it into motion.

Lizzy

Unconfirmed Member
That doesn't confirm anything,
Er...I wasn't looking to confirm anything. I was just saying that I haven't seen any evidence that, based on what has been released, Leia, Han, and Chewie knows who she is. I was hoping you'd offer up your reasoning for why you think this -- perhaps I should have been more clear on that front.

TheOfficeMut

Unconfirmed Member
Any chance Rey is another immaculate conception, like Anakin?

Hypothetically, let's assume she was. Let's also assume that Luke discovered that somewhere in the galaxy/universe, someone is always born from the force after the previously most powerful force user dies - would y'all hate this? lol

Part of me wants to entertain the idea but part of me dislikes the perpetual immaculate rebirth of an Anakin Skywalker for all eternity.

Lizzy

Unconfirmed Member
One of the most aggravating things about Star Wars is that we've heard so many times about "bringing balance to the Force" but nobody has bothered explaining what that means.

Voidwolf

Er...I wasn't looking to confirm anything. I was just saying that I haven't seen any evidence that, based on what has been released, Leia, Han, and Chewie knows who she is. I was hoping you'd offer up your reasoning for why you think this -- perhaps I should have been more clear on that front.

Yeah I only mentioned the line from the novel because Surfinn and another poster already pointed out all the scenes and dialogue in TFA that makes it seem like Han, Chewie, Leia, and Kylo know of her.

I'll add that the way Luke looks at Rey also adds credence to the theory. Han had been dead for a bit of time so I don't think he'd be on the verge of tears still, maybe if it had been Leia or Chewie standing there. And I don't think his old lightsaber would move him to that point either. He was looking at Rey and reacting to her.

kevin1025

Banned
It's heavily suggested in TFA. I just don't know exactly what it is. I do think there was something significant that happened to/with Rey that caused someone to drop her off on a desolate planet.

It wasn't by chance. Something big set it into motion.

If it weren't for Bloodline showing that Kylo was training with Luke still six years before The Force Awakens, I'd say it was the Knights of Ren demolishing the temple to steal Rey and raise her in the dark side, and Luke or Leia or whoever brought her to Jakku (or maybe even Max Von Sydow, "beginning to make things right", and him blasting off was heading to the other side of the planet).

But Bloodline ruins everything!

sphagnum

Banned
One of the most aggravating things about Star Wars is that we've heard so many times about "bringing balance to the Force" but nobody has bothered explaining what that means.

George did, but not in the movies, probably because he thought it was obvious that bringing balance = destroying the Sith.

George did, but not in the movies, probably because he thought it was obvious that bringing balance = destroying the Sith.

But his prequel trilogy also seems to suggest that the Jedi being eradicated was also part of that balance.

Which is why I think Luke's abandonment of the Jedi might carry some serious meaning that could reverberate throughout the entire series of films.

Davide

GL's ambiguous half-developed writing of the Chosen One was what allowed Rian Johnson and others to continue it in a new direction here.

Surfinn

Again, you don't have to agree with the evidence, but it IS there.. present right in TFA. There has been a multitude of it listed in this thread. Like super fucking deliberate shots of Han/Chewie staring at her, with no one else in the frame, for example, that seem to serve no other purpose than "what is THAT supposed to mean?" One of these shots happens literally right before Rey meets Luke, setting up the last scene in the film.

If it weren't for Bloodline showing that Kylo was training with Luke still six years before The Force Awakens, I'd say it was the Knights of Ren demolishing the temple to steal Rey and raise her in the dark side, and Luke or Leia or whoever brought her to Jakku (or maybe even Max Von Sydow, "beginning to make things right", and him blasting off was heading to the other side of the planet).

But Bloodline ruins everything!

Hmm. That's an interesting theory, I never even considered it.

Surfinn

It would be pretty cool, especially if Luke entrusted him with the piece of the map to his location and told him to only hand it over when the time was right.

I wonder if he was on the flight that dropped off Rey.

But then again the opening crawl seems to indicate he was only there because he discovered a clue as to where Luke might be.

Hypothetically, let's assume she was. Let's also assume that Luke discovered that somewhere in the galaxy/universe, someone is always born from the force after the previously most powerful force user dies - would y'all hate this? lol

Part of me wants to entertain the idea but part of me dislikes the perpetual immaculate rebirth of an Anakin Skywalker for all eternity.

Star Wars has always been rooted in mysticism and magic so I wouldn’t mind at all.

What’ll be interesting to see however is if the explanation they come up with for Rey will be adequate enough to deflate all that Mary Sue bullshit.

Surfinn

Luke would never leave Rey with Unkar Platt.

It's possible that he had someone else take her to Jakku, to hide her. And until we know the reasoning for how Rey ended up there, I'm not willing to jump to that conclusion just yet.

There's also the question of "how the hell can she envision the very place Luke is hiding"

kevin1025

Banned
I wonder if he was on the flight that dropped off Rey.

But then again the opening crawl seems to indicate he was only there because he discovered a clue as to where Luke might be.

Ah yeah, you're right. It says that an old ally discovered a clue. Interesting that he potentially found it on Jakku, though, where Rey is...

Lizzy

Unconfirmed Member
Again, you don't have to agree with the evidence, but it IS there.. present right in TFA.
Yeah, I'm not sure most of those points even count as evidence. They're way too ambiguous...not what they mean about Rey, but whether they mean anything at all.

Surfinn

Ah yeah, you're right. It says that an old ally discovered a clue. Interesting that he potentially found it on Jakku, though, where Rey is...

True, interesting coincidence.

And I bet you Luke explains the map from TFA. I get a feeling he devised a plan for people to eventually find him again, before he left.

Yeah, I'm not sure most of those points even count as evidence. They're way too ambiguous...not what they mean about Rey, but whether they mean anything at all.

Literally everything ABOUT Rey in TFA is ambiguous. This was purposefully done. Doesn't mean the pieces included don't count as evidence, even if vague.

Do you really think the look Chewie gives her.. just before they touch down on the island, is nothing? A single shot with only him in the frame, looking at Rey, especially given the context of where they were about to be?

If nothing else, it was included for the very reason of generating this type of discussion. You can argue the same for Han's look.

And Leia hugging Rey, finding her and calling her by name and wishing her good luck before she leaves, even though they have never met.

Top Bottom