• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars: The Last Jedi trailer

MutFox

Banned
The whole bringing balance to the force.
I thought it was Vader by taking out Palpatine.

He brought balance, just not the way the Jedi envisioned...
He killed them off first and brought the entire Galaxy under an iron fist.

So what they're saying with this trilogy, is even if someone brings balance to the force,
they'll make another trilogy undoing it.

Star Wars Ep10: the love of money

Not

Banned
22405952_10156368350571840_6958146688203754757_n.jpg

The villain of Episode II being a solitary lens flare actually makes a lot of sense

Figboy79

Aftershock LA
I've always liked this theory, but unfortunately the timeline precludes it. Rey was left on Jakku years before Kylo destroyed the academy. I believe the destructions of the academy happened roughly 6 years before the events of TFA. Rey is 19 during the movie and young Rey in the flashback was played by an 8 year old girl.

Yeah, it was my theory for a while until I learned the extended universe content rendered it impossible.

So, like, Snoke, Rey is just Rey. She may not know who she is, and is struggling to find herself in this conflict (classic heroes journey), but I’m suspecting more and more that she doesn’t have any ties to OT characters or Kylo Ren.

Empire Strikes Back has so many Star Wars fans thinking that “twists” are part of the series by default, so they often expect more than what is really there from new movies going forward. It doesn’t help that the generation of storytellers creating all of this new Star Wars content have grown up with the series as fans, and some of them may think that they have to do “their spin” on the “No, I am your father,” moment.

I think the sooner we come to the realization that Star Wars isn’t about plot twists and shockers, the better off we’ll be going into this new trilogy. There are certainly unanswered questions from TFA that will probably be addressed, but I doubt the answers will be presented as bigger than they are. I think our biggest indicator of what to expect from this new trilogy in terms of “shocking” reveals, was how they handled the reveal of Kylo Ren’s parentage. It was pretty low key, with no real build up. Sure, Serkis’ delivery (“Han...SOLO”) maybe oversold it, but it was still a pretty moderate reveal.

I’m not going into these movies expecting an “I am your father.” At least not after how TFA handled moments like that.

I love how shitty his performance is, even though he's just standing there.

He actually seems like he's glowering at Luke, and just awkwardly standing next to ObiWan and Yoda.

Actually, it'd be interesting if we got an Anakin ghost. What form do you go with? How would Rey react? How would Kylo react?

His appearance would actually do a lot for the Grey Jedi theory. After all, he's been on both sides. Probably would have a lot to say about a new take on The Force.

typist

Maybe Rey is Ben's little sister and Han and Leia just dumped her on Jakku after Ben turned to shit, either for her own safety or more likely because they were afraid of the same stuff happening again. It's either that or she's a clone made from Luke's hand which was found along with his lightsaber

Lmo911

Luke being the ultimate villain is where i think they will go, but not because he is evil, just because he feels he needs to do what he has to to save the bigger picture.

I feel the same way. He's not going to be the villain in a "I will rule the galaxy" sort of way, he's going to feel pushed to stop his students before they become a threat of galactic proportions.

I can almost see this whole thing going down with Kylo killing Snoke and saving Rey from being tortured/force vampired/whatever else could be happening in that shot and they both run off as the First Order literally collapses around them.

Episode XI is basically The Hunchback of Notre Dame with Kylo holding off the remains of The First Order and The Resistance as they all come gunning for him. Luke comes to his senses and realizes it's his compassion that saves the day not his belief in the force, balance, or anything else. He takes Kylo to the far reaches to rehabilitate him and Rey is left to carry on.

Everyone lives! Except Snoke. Screw that guy.

Lizzy

Unconfirmed Member
Not lame! I did it for The Force Awakens. Think about it: Do spoilers prevent you from watching a movie over again? No way!

I knew Han was going to die. I knew Rey was going to grab the lightsaber. There's a difference between knowing something is going to happen and experiencing it, especially when it plays out differently than in your head. Knowing Rey was going to grab the lightsaber did not dampen the rush of energy I felt when I saw it for the first time.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
Not lame! I did it for The Force Awakens. Think about it: Do spoilers prevent you from watching a movie over again? No way!

I knew Han was going to die. I knew Rey was going to grab the lightsaber. There's a difference between knowing something is going to happen and experiencing it, especially when it plays out differently than in your head. Knowing Rey was going to grab the lightsaber did not dampen the rush of energy I felt when I saw it for the first time.

DZk8NZ0.gif

Lizzy

Unconfirmed Member
Don't knock it until you try it. Also, it makes being online during movies/games/books/tv releases less stressful. I love not having to worry about spoilers!

Surfinn

Well different strokes for different folks and all that.

But I'll never forget the first time I heard Snoke tell that Han is Kylo's dad. Or the first time I saw the falcon appear. Or seeing Rey catch the saber, totally unaware.

I thought of all those first time experiences when I rewatched TFA yesterday. Yes, once you know it's no longer a surprise on rewatches,

But I will never forget those experiences and sharing those surprises with my brother.

I love you

Davide

EDIT: Retouched it up a bit now

Couldn't find a good wallpaper version of the poster so I made my own. Here's my first take on it.

nRKi3NH.jpg

Lizzy

Unconfirmed Member
I wonder when Rey gets that cut on her right arm. She doesn't have it when she's being tortured by Snoke and we can't tell if she has when she's hanging out with Finn in the BTS because it's on her right arm, out of view of the frame.

I'm assuming that, like the bruise, she gets it during her encounter with Snoke.

He actually seems like he's glowering at Luke, and just awkwardly standing next to ObiWan and Yoda.
Word of mouth is that that was a hair test and that it wasn't originally planned for Episode VI. Later on of course things were changed and GL superimposed Hayden Christensen's head during that test into a body that with the Jedi robes on. I'll go look for the source just to double check.

sphagnum

Banned
I wonder when Rey gets that cut on her right arm. She doesn't have it when she's being tortured by Snoke and we can't tell if she has when she's hanging out with Finn in the BTS because it's on her right arm, out of view of the frame.

I'm assuming that, like the bruise, she gets it during her encounter with Snoke.

Probably fighting the Praetorians since we saw her sparring against three people in the BTS video.

Lizzy

Unconfirmed Member
The more I watch the trailer the more I realize that the moment at the end with Kylo and Rey are two different scenes spliced together. It's so obvious.

GhaleonEB

The more I watch the trailer the more I realize that the moment at the end with Kylo and Rey are two different scenes spliced together. It's so obvious.

That and "this isn't going to go the way you think" are big tells that the actual story is still quite obfuscated. It's like the trailer is announcing, "I'm not trustworthy! Now here's some eye candy."

Not

Banned
I'm getting more and more excited for this movie every day. There's probably so much being held back.

Just gotta avoid spoilers!

Actually, it'd be interesting if we got an Anakin ghost. What form do you go with? How would Rey react? How would Kylo react?

His appearance would actually do a lot for the Grey Jedi theory. After all, he's been on both sides. Probably would have a lot to say about a new take on The Force.

Luke be like:

"How come your ghost has aged about 12 years since I saw you on Endor, and why only 12 years when 30 have passed since then?"

MutFox

Banned

If she's a Skywalker,
she'll lose a limb this episode...

CorrisD

badchoiceboobies
It will be interesting to see what kind or role Maz plays in TLJ.

Going on a big guess.

I'd be willing to bet that seeing as they introduced Maz who is over a thousand years old, and that we know Snoke is "very old" from comments about the films, that both go back a thousand years together. Up until Darth Maul appeared in The Phantom Menace the Sith were also thought to be extinct for at least a thousand years.

Going back to my previous comment, their use of Skywalker Saga is how they will differentiate their films that will come after Episode 9. I imagine they wont go ahead of time as they will continue with these current characters in the future. So I'd guess we will get a canon "Old Republic" style saga of films that go back to when the Sith were still around.

I wouldn't be surprised if Snoke like many bad guys wasn't a bad guy to begin with, maybe he, like Anakin and Ben, were Jedi just trying to do good in their way that end up falling to the Darkside due to the sacrifices they thought they needed to make.

Oozer3993

I believe that was Hayden, but it was taken during a costume test, not actually shot to be included in any of the films which is why it is a bit odd looking.

That's the story I've always heard. The scene in Episode III a the opera between Anakin and Palpatine has George messing around with swapping Hayden's head from one take onto his body from another.

Mr Cola

Brothas With Attitude / The Wrong Brotha to Fuck Wit / Die Brotha Die / Brothas in Paris
I firmly believe Hayden could be a more than adequate Anakin given the right direction AND if introduced properly a lot of the bad blood about him could be removed if he had one or two good scenes in the next films or in the obi wan films.

Hes not a bad actor, he was inexperienced and working with very very little with next to no help.

I'd rather we keep Star Wars to live action movies and animated shows. We're getting a new movie every year as it is. Let's not oversaturate it.

Davide

There's nothing good about the Clone Wars team. Tartakosvky was much better.

The writers for the Dark Horse comics were great. KotOR, Legacy.

I firmly believe Hayden could be a more than adequate Anakin given the right direction AND if introduced properly a lot of the bad blood about him could be removed if he had one or two good scenes in the next films or in the obi wan films.

Hes not a bad actor, he was inexperienced and working with very very little with next to no help.

On this subject. Why has force ghost Anakin not presented himself to Ben yet and been like "stop being a stupid ass".

Top Bottom