• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars: The Old Republic [Releasing Date: Dec 20 NA/EU - NDA Lifted]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hixx

hiryu said:
Nobody else is offended that they might give people who buy the expensive CE a headstart in an MMO? That sounds like total bullshit but it's EA and they, above all other publishers, love lame preorder stuff.

It wouldn't exactly be unique for an MMO.

Jbird34 said:
When EA did their buy DA2 get ME2 for free promo I downloaded ME2 and have never had to run origin to launch it.

Well, I have the free promo copy myself but never tried it. However, I believe I have a Mirrors Edge promo copy that requires EA Download Manager/Origin to run in the background (and it can only be launched via Origin). The decision to make SWTORs digital copy an Origin exclusive let me to believe it would follow a similar pattern.

Billychu said:
A dev said it weeks ago on the forums. I don't have time to find it so hopefully someone else can.

Thank you! I will try to find it as soon as the official site is back online.

*Edit* It's back online already. This is the only post I found searching for "Origin" in the dev tracker:
First off: Origin is a fantastic new digital initiative from EA, and we're pleased to confirm that Star Wars: The Old Republic will be available exclusively for digital download from Origin.

However, even though you'll only be able to buy and download The Old Republic digitally via Origin, you will still be able to buy a retail, boxed copy of the game from your favorite retailer (and that includes online retailers who’ll ship the box to you). BioWare and EA know the value many gamers place on a cool boxed product... and we’re producing a cool boxed product. (Or maybe I should say 'boxed products'. )

Is that the post you were referring to? It does not really go into any details about how they handle digital copies after the download.

Rflagg

HixxSAFC said:
It wouldn't exactly be unique for an MMO.
Even if it was a week is not that big of a deal to me, especially with the leveling curb of today's mmos.
Seems odd to me that if the pre-orders do start at midnight they have yet to say anything.

gatti-man

Rflagg said:
Even if it was a week is not that big of a deal to me, especially with the leveling curb of today's mmos.
Seems odd to me that if the pre-orders do start at midnight they have yet to say anything.

I really like head start because it lessens the initial surge of players and for those that are will to pay offers substancial early rewards like no competition for selling higher level goods.

erragal

gatti-man said:
I really like head start because it lessens the initial surge of players and for those that are will to pay offers substancial early rewards like no competition for selling higher level goods.

It'll be interesting to see the angry forum backlash when some players hit level cap during the head start. Six days is a long time in a modern MMO for a power gaming guild to exploit all the things they didn't bug report during the betas.

Rflagg

gatti-man said:
Oh yeah I really like it, I am just saying if I end up getting the ce the head start will not be what sells it and that any advantage it gives will be over in less then 2 months.

NeededSleep

hiryu said:
Nobody else is offended that they might give people who buy the expensive CE a headstart in an MMO? That sounds like total bullshit but it's EA and they, above all other publishers, love lame preorder stuff.

let em have it! auth servers will be hammered, download servers will have ques, servers will crash, starting zones will be overpopulated! Its the big-bang of mmo life each time one launches!

Even if i get the CE im going to wait a few days passed launch so i don't get annoyed with launch problems.

Emitan

Dinosaur Tamer said:
Well, I have the free promo copy myself but never tried it. However, I believe I have a Mirrors Edge promo copy that requires EA Download Manager/Origin to run in the background (and it can only be launched via Origin). The decision to make SWTORs digital copy an Origin exclusive let me to believe it would follow a similar pattern.

Thank you! I will try to find it as soon as the official site is back online.

*Edit* It's back online already. This is the only post I found searching for "Origin" in the dev tracker:

Is that the post you were referring to? It does not really go into any details about how they handle digital copies after the download.
That's not the post. It specifically stated it doesn't require Origin aside from downloading the game client.

LowParry

NeededSleep said:
let em have it! auth servers will be hammered, download servers will have ques, servers will crash, starting zones will be overpopulated! Its the big-bang of mmo life each time one launches!

Even if i get the CE im going to wait a few days passed launch so i don't get annoyed with launch problems.

Usually, this is the best course of action. Day 1 is probably going to be a mess unless BioWare is quick in responding with opening more servers, etc. Rift started out pretty well the first couple of days. Just a few hickups but smoothest MMO launch as far as I remember.

CcrooK said:
Usually, this is the best course of action. Day 1 is probably going to be a mess unless BioWare is quick in responding with opening more servers, etc. Rift started out pretty well the first couple of days. Just a few hickups but smoothest MMO launch as far as I remember.

Smooth, outside of some massive queue's the first couple days. But that's pretty normal it seems.

Billychu said:
That's not the post. It specifically stated it doesn't require Origin aside from downloading the game client.

Ok. Spend some more time trying to but I can't find it in the dev tracker on the official site. Maybe it was on one of the alternative boards for specific languages?

Jbird34

Here is the quote from Stephen Reid:

However, you won’t need to launch the Origin application to run The Old Republic, nor will you patch the game via Origin. Once the game is on your hard disk, you’ll be connecting to our servers to patch and launch the game, and Origin does not have to be running to do that.

Source

It's the same with Steam, all it does is purchase and give you the initial download launcher, but after that the MMO has pretty much nothing to do with Steam. Why I never really understood the whining of the game not being on Steam as it barely matters.

Emitan

Jbird34 said:

However, you won’t need to launch the Origin application to run The Old Republic, nor will you patch the game via Origin. Once the game is on your hard disk, you’ll be connecting to our servers to patch and launch the game, and Origin does not have to be running to do that.

Source
That's it!

LowParry

I suppose the next question is, will we see more invites go out on a larger scale? Current beta should be going down today, then a new build will be put in place soon.

Thank you guys! I was looking for a dev post on the official forums.

That's great news and I guess this pretty much seals the deal for a digital deluxe edition for me. At least as long as it includes all or most of the ingame items the huge physical CE offers.

I wonder if Europe gets to be a part of this whole pre-order special awesome thingy. Since Origin is region-specific, unlike the almighty Steam...

imoTEP12

CcrooK said:
I suppose the next question is, will we see more invites go out on a larger scale? Current beta should be going down today, then a new build will be put in place soon.

I hope a larger influx of invites goes out soon.

Pat

imoTEP12 said:
I hope a larger influx of invites goes out soon.

They have to stress test the servers anyways.

And I'm pissed that CE will get a 6-day headstart. I don't want to spend 150$ on goodies which I'm not interested at all but I know I will not be able to resist.

EA got me. :(

Spire

Subconscious Brolonging
Jbird34 said:

Source

Thank god.

bill0527

EhrgeizVII said:
I wonder if Europe gets to be a part of this whole pre-order special awesome thingy. Since Origin is region-specific, unlike the almighty Steam...

The original prices quoted were in Euros. The boxart is a Euro boxart.

In fact, just about all the info spilled so far is based on the Euro release.

Pat said:
They have to stress test the servers anyways.

And I'm pissed that CE will get a 6-day headstart. I don't want to spend 150$ on goodies which I'm not interested at all but I know I will not be able to resist.

EA got me. :(

You might get the same head start with the digital CE that would probably be around 70-80$ (and definitely cheaper than 150$).

HixxSAFC said:
Some more pics of the 'leaked' pre-order box etc:

http://i53.tinypic.com/29vzdop.jpg
http://i53.tinypic.com/jzgv81.jpg

I've linked them cos the pics are massive. There's also the system requirements which are expectedly very, very low.

So this means retail pre-orders get early access too? Good! I'm going to be on campus when this comes out and I really don't want to download a game of this size at 300-400 kb/s.

EDIT: Derp, I'll still have to download it for early access.

/facepalm

hiryu said:
EA did the exact same thing with Warhammer Online. And I willingly participated. It's worth it to me to ensure that I get the name that I want. So no, I'm not offended.

Gvaz

Banned
Morn said:
I don't play much MMOs? I have four, almost five now, level 85s in WoW.

I have an 85, an 83, a 70 something and an 80 and I think you play too much wow.
hiryu said:
No? That's been the case for quite a few MMOs now

bill0527 said:
The original prices quoted were in Euros. The boxart is a Euro boxart.

In fact, just about all the info spilled so far is based on the Euro release.

You're right, how could I have missed that? =D

hiryu

I'm ok with any pre-order getting early access but if I have to pay for an overpriced box full of useless crap to get early access I'm out.

CcrooK said:
It's strange that we'd be able to pre-order before their panel tomorrow. Something else has got to give, right?
I was under the impression that it was 2am on Thursday night, aka Friday morning. Is this not the case?

Protocol7

What are the chances they release a digital version (iPhone / Android) of their anthenticator or whatever name they are going to give it?

imoTEP12

Protocol7 said:
What are the chances they release a digital version (iPhone / Android) of their anthenticator or whatever name they are going to give it?

I'd say the chances are pretty good, they don't want to have to deal with a bunch of people getting hacked either I'm sure.

LowParry

Baller said:
I was under the impression that it was 2am on Thursday night, aka Friday morning. Is this not the case?

Maybe I'm reading it wrong. Swear I'm seeing tonight. Eh. Tomorrow night does make a lot more sense.

Jarmel

Banned
Baller said:

Kotaku says Thursday at 2AM CST. If it was Friday they would have stated it as Friday at 2AM CST.

Woorloog

Banned
Does that read ATI x1850 or better?
Can someone tell how AMD Turion64x2, 3GB memory and Mobility Radeon HD2600 (or however the name should be formated) compares to the supposed system requirements?
EDIT i mean, do you think my laptop will run the game decently?

Protocol7

imoTEP12 said:
I'd say the chances are pretty good, they don't want to have to deal with a bunch of people getting hacked either I'm sure.

Crossing fingers then, would make me buy the Digital CE version, hoping it'll be cheaper since there won't be all the crappy/unnecessary stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom