• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars: The Old Republic [Releasing Date: Dec 20 NA/EU - NDA Lifted]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jarmel

Banned
actually, it's a great addition. because like you said, you are killing them anyways, it turns them from annoyance to at least worth it because you get an extra easy 2-4k xp.

but anything to speed up leveling is welcomed. not sure why that system still exists to be honest.

Might as well just add it to the experience you get when you finish the quest.

TheYanger

I played a Jedi Knight to lv 9 tonight and really liked it. The story is mostly lame so far, but there are interesting parts. I think the quests are pretty good. They're nothing too different from WoW, but they're alright. I don't feel like I'm doing the same shit over and over and I feel like it matters more in the world than some stupid shit I did for a Goblin in Vashjir. Goblin quests are the worst.

I also like the combat. I think they do a good job of making you feel powerful even at such a low level and I like that there is no auto attack. It just feels like I actually have to learn my class to make it through the quests.

Both of the jedi storylines are among the worst, sadly :/ Especially at sucking you in early on.

JambiBum

So is the beta done with now? I wanted to see how it would run on my new laptop so I spent all night downloading the thing only to not be able to play.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
I think you're misinterpreting what tetsuo meant

Very much so.

No, you don't have to kill them to complete a quest. But, multiple times, I HAD to kill them because they were in the way. As in, they were in between me and where I had to go. So yes, I could have went around them or ran away until they stopped aggro, but that is just annoying. My point is, why even call it a bonus objective. I am in an area looking for 5 elixers, I am going to have to kill 25 flesh raiders anyway just to do this. Kill 15 flesh raiders is a pretty sad "bonus" objective. In another game, they would just give you the quest to go alongside the other.

TheYanger

Very much so.

No, you don't have to kill them to complete a quest. But, multiple times, I HAD to kill them because they were in the way. As in, they were in between me and where I had to go. So yes, I could have went around them or ran away until they stopped aggro, but that is just annoying. My point is, why even call it a bonus objective. I am in an area looking for 5 elixers, I am going to have to kill 25 flesh raiders anyway just to do this. Kill 15 flesh raiders is a pretty sad "bonus" objective. In another game, they would just give you the quest to go alongside the other.

Why are you complaining about them not wasting time giving you a cutscene for 'kill 15 bears' then? I'm GLAD it's just tacked on, relatively easily ignorable, it's still tied to the main quest in the area but it's not some additional requirement. And it's very easy to finish many quests without killing the stuff for the bonus (which later on tend to be multi-stage, update in real time, and even end in boss fights). Sure, they're nothing FANCY AND NEW, but they're better done like this than in the past, and isn't that sufficient? I certainly don't see how anyone can think this is worse.

markot

Banned
I dont think anyone is saying its worse. Its just that the quest in wow would be "kill 15 ____ and collect _" Or it would be two seperate quests. Here is "collect ____" and then the 'bonus' isnt really because you have to do it anyway most of the time >.<

Its not really better or worse imo, it just seems like a way to make the quests seem less 'kill 10 boars' when its still there.

*surfaces from the pile of games he's currently playing *

well, consider me sold, although I have some minor gripes

played 14 hours, got to level 15, Jedi Knight. Combat, graphics, soundtrack are all good. Quests are interesting and the Bonus aren't too annoying - minus that dastardly kill "45 Black Sun chaps" which was a chore. It's basically a Kotor 3.

Story is mostly straightforward although with some interesting parts. Quests are actually better than the story imho, since they feature plot twists and actually unexpected output ( I did expect what was really behind that "kidnapped" Twi'lek girl)

Did a couple group quests, the roll dice convos work well and don't change the output too much, which is a good thing

now, the gripes

NPCs are mannequins with no mouth. Noone ever talks. Even LOTRO has some random repetitive quotes, but there's zero here. I really hope the final version features some.

character creation: it works and its got a lot of choices, but needs more, definitely. Didnt check if the Chiss were available but it seemed they didnt, at least on light side

Difficulty. Game is too easy. I did every quest, solo or grouped (minus the high level instance, Hammer something), and was never in danger. Once I got my companion, it was even more a breeze. Taking down elites is the only slight challenge this game has. I even managed to solo a group quest (the "Destroy the clinic droids")

ability trees, advanced class, crew skills are a bit confusing, and so is finding something like the Auction Hall which I stepped into by mistake

needs some minigames. The Cantinas are waaay too empty and boring. The songs you can pick from the Jokebox are hilarious though

I hope fast travel gets implemented because yeh, it can be boring

having said that, I plan to subscribe for a month at least after the free one. Since game's way easy i think I'll be maxed by that time so it'll be a choice between rolling another character or doing endgame, if it's actually good

Kem0sabe

The game has horrible quest design for the non-character story quests. There are no interesting quest mechanics, they are all either fetch or kill quests.

For all the bad stuff Blizzard did with WoW, they really added some nice and unique quests along the way that added more than just kill this or fetch that to the game.

On the other hand, Bioware was inexcusably lazy with their quests, its a shame.

Cystm

lol@ bonus objectives in this shit as well

"Kill 12 Flesh Raiders". The flesh raiders HAVE to be killed, they are on the damn walkway leading to this guy I have to talk to. Terrible. No, killing the enemies is not part of the quest. They are however in the way, and you have to kill them.

No, you don't. Run through them. The aggro leashing in this game is ridiculously forgiving.

As for myself, it seriously takes like an extra 2 whole minutes tops to clear the bonus trash that is typically located on your way to your next quest objective anyway, so I found it rather convenient than annoying.

NPCs are mannequins with no mouth. Noone ever talks. Even LOTRO has some random repetitive quotes, but there's zero here. I really hope the final version features some.

character creation: it works and its got a lot of choices, but needs more, definitely. Didnt check if the Chiss were available but it seemed they didnt, at least on light side

Difficulty. Game is too easy. I did every quest, solo or grouped (minus the high level instance, Hammer something), and was never in danger. Once I got my companion, it was even more a breeze. Taking down elites is the only slight challenge this game has. I even managed to solo a group quest (the "Destroy the clinic droids")

ability trees, advanced class, crew skills are a bit confusing, and so is finding something like the Auction Hall which I stepped into by mistake

needs some minigames. The Cantinas are waaay too empty and boring. The songs you can pick from the Jokebox are hilarious though

I hope fast travel gets implemented because yeh, it can be boring

having said that, I plan to subscribe for a month at least after the free one. Since game's way easy i think I'll be maxed by that time so it'll be a choice between rolling another character or doing endgame, if it's actually good

Seriously, this month has been insane.

On saturday while grinding away I went afk while texting for a good 3 minutes and was startled by what I thought was quest dialog but was actually being spoken by two random npcs standing near my character. So the chatter is in there but you have to go afk for a few minutes to ever hear it. :lol Hopefully something they intend on adjusting.

I agree. It is way too easy, but I can't really say if that goes beyond level 17 or not. Either way, they would be right to increase the challenge some more.

All of that shit is on the wall of crazy so who know's when/if we will ever see it.

Dunlop

Hmm.

I wish there was more racial diversity, its all basically 'human' but with some extra head stuff >.<

I think this will be a big problem with longevity for the game once people hit end level.

On my first beta invite I played my with inquisitor to about lvl 12, liked the game but found the world very small (starter worlds, you are pretty much driven down a path with zero options to explore)

2nd Beta, played a trooper for a bit to see the other side, decided I liked Sith much better but played for about 10 minutes when I realized I did not want to watch all the cinemics again for the quest givers

This weekend, I spent more time just trying to find some unique character, but it is all just re skinned humans. There is no gnome warrior goofiness to be found, we will all look the same by the end game

Fonds

I've heard some people say random things to eachother. In the jedi temple on Tython for instance I overheard some Padawan complaining that he hadn't been entered for his initiation yet.

still on the fence for this one right now...

now as someone who did NOT participate in any betas, will there be a sort of "demo" version later on when the game is released that you can try sort of like how it was in WOW where you could play up to a certain level with restricted functions etc`?

markot

Banned

now as someone who did NOT participate in any betas, will there be a sort of "demo" version later on when the game is released that you can try sort of like how it was in WOW where you could play up to a certain level with restricted functions etc`?

Way later probably.

glaurung

The easiest thing will be to look out for a seriously discounted disc copy that comes with the regular 30 days (I think). I'd say somewhere in January.

As usual, they'd be mad to do a trial off the bat, because that would drive people insane and make the people who actually paid for the game hate the guys in charge even more.

A 7-day trial surely... The question is when...

ok... damn it i am so tempted to just grab it and play come Dec. 20th but then now there is no way to know whether i will really like it or not :(

i guess it's too late now to try and get into some kind of EU beta right? bahh i don't wanna go through the hassle either i guess

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?

Not "later", but you can probably still grab a preorder code which will give you access to few free days of headstart and decide if you want to buy the game or not.

Dina

Level 28 Trooper Commando, and done with the beta. Will get this game, sadly I hadn't any chance to get a mount even though I had the cash for it.

Also, you're all very harsh considering some are criticizing this game left and right before even getting to coruscant. I can't describe the differrence companions and professions make. Double this when you get your own space ship.

SteveO409

Did you know Halo invented the FPS?
R38gj.jpg

Not rolling this race at launch, this would drive me crazy...having a lightsaber as an ear ring

Level 28 Trooper Commando, and done with the beta. Will get this game, sadly I hadn't any chance to get a mount even though I had the cash for it.

Also, you're all very harsh considering some are criticizing this game left and right before even getting to coruscant. I can't describe the differrence companions and professions make. Double this when you get your own space ship.

BTW when do you get your own space ship?

Was it in the beta?

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
Here comes a weird question - did Bioware/EA say anything about server transfers? Thing is, the region with best ping when connecting from Asia (as I'll be doing for the next year) is US East, but like hell I'm going to play there when I'm back in Europe...

erragal

To be fair, companions and professions will only make the game easier. Is there enough challenging content while leveling for the game to be fun to play in a group?

Specficially I don't mean "Oh there are quests that are meant to be done in group, they say group!". I mean if 3/4 people who have played MMO's before and know what they're doing group together are they ever going to be even remotely challenged; all the impressions I've read are that after the recent difficulty re-reduction (Due to beta tester complaints of course, what a joke) the game is back to being too easy.

I'd rather not hear "Well it will get hard in end game"; I'm sure there will be challenging parts of that but for the most part my friends enjoy the actual experience of getting to the level cap and not the grind once there. I especially want to know about current Flashpoint difficulty and any other group oriented content that can provide a challenge.

Interfectum

Played it all weekend:

+ the spoken dialogue gets you much more into the story than a simple WoW quest log
+ the combat seems pretty fun (sith warrior) so far.

- some of the voice acting is horrid
- your character looks like they are gliding along the ground instead of walking
- low res armor texture and armor looks like it was painted on the character
- very boring quest design... we are talking pre-burning crusade quest design here

Might still give the game a chance at retail but man oh man this game has some problems.

Yeah, I've never heard my gfx card's fans turn on that high. Which is weird, because the game doesn't seem to be doing anything super impressive graphically.

I'm done with the beta this time around at least. My framerate is absolutely appalling, not even getting double digits in combat areas on Coruscant. Unplayable.

Also what's with placing dialogue objects in the middle of enemies so you get attacked once they've respawned because you were in dialogue? Stupid design decision.

I quite like the game but stuff like that and, for me at least, the horrendous engine ruin it.

Moaradin

To be fair, companions and professions will only make the game easier. Is there enough challenging content while leveling for the game to be fun to play in a group?

Specficially I don't mean "Oh there are quests that are meant to be done in group, they say group!". I mean if 3/4 people who have played MMO's before and know what they're doing group together are they ever going to be even remotely challenged; all the impressions I've read are that after the recent difficulty re-reduction (Due to beta tester complaints of course, what a joke) the game is back to being too easy.

I'd rather not hear "Well it will get hard in end game"; I'm sure there will be challenging parts of that but for the most part my friends enjoy the actual experience of getting to the level cap and not the grind once there. I especially want to know about current Flashpoint difficulty and any other group oriented content that can provide a challenge.

Yes, every planet has dozens of heroic areas that have to be done in a group. Once you get your Advanced Class, the heroic areas get harder because they expect you to use CC and have a well made group. I also found lots of challenging solo content in the game as well. Sometimes your story will have mini-bosses that can be challenging

Very much so.

4 of the 8 classes have stealth mechanic options and can skip lot of battles and go straight to an objective. They don't have to do these bonus quests and skip most of them, while in other games these players would be forced to kill all said monsters in the way even if you could stealth.

Also the bonus quests can often chain into bigger bonus quests so a player would have to actively choose to stay and grind to complete them. But in no way does a player need to do these bonuses as they really are not that important for leveling unless you want to sit in the area to grind the extra xp rewards.

It's nice because it make killing optional and not an actual quest requirement in many quests, if you get your objective and kill some dudes, you do not have to sit and wait for more of them to respawn to finally complete the quest, you can simply go back and get your reward. But some areas aren't designed as well for this. Some areas though you can easily do the missions and never finish your bonus kill requirements.

erragal

Yes, every planet has dozens of heroic areas that have to be done in a group. Once you get your Advanced Class, the heroic areas get harder because they expect you to use CC and have a well made group. I also found lots of challenging solo content in the game as well. Sometimes your story will have mini-bosses that can be challenging

What are the heroic areas like? Outdoor areas with group level enemies or mini instances? I just want to make sure everything isn't going to be a faceroll or if it is then not to play a healer which is only fun when there's a challenge.

I was in the beta this weekend but didn't get a chance to really play outside of getting a feel for mechanics and character creation. It is sad how limited the char creation was; my GF is especially disappointed by the female face options all being exceptionally manly.

Ricker

The Trooper is what I want to play I'm pretty sure but mine is stuck at level 9 and won't load....how is he up to 29?...I loved the shooting in the Prologue...what about the companion...is he good?

Alex

Played it all weekend:

+ the spoken dialogue gets you much more into the story than a simple WoW quest log
+ the combat seems pretty fun (sith warrior) so far.

- some of the voice acting is horrid
- your character looks like they are gliding along the ground instead of walking
- low res armor texture and armor looks like it was painted on the character
- very boring quest design... we are talking pre-burning crusade quest design here

Might still give the game a chance at retail but man oh man this game has some problems.

The quest design is pretty straight forward and I wish they'd have done more especially with the narrative debase being what it is though i didn't get in too far. Still I don't dislike the style of it, I had fun but hell I def think WoW classic had the best questing experience by far. You'll never get me to throw in for the glorified LittleBigPlanet like nonsense that is modern WoW questing. Goofy mini games with bad physics.

I want my RPG to play like an RPG, I do want to kill and collect and do group quests and feel at danger occasionally when you muck up and back in classic WoW you did. Monsters levels curved up not down, a few strays could easily kill you, there were outdoor elite quests everywhere and outdoor else dungeons (they've removed all elite quests and outdoor elite dungeons from the game now) and all of my fond questing memories are from stuff like stromgarde, ogre mound in loch modan, alterac, etc. Not some love song for WoW classic, this is all I think it did well over modern, but it's an important piece.

Actually seeing elite areas and rougher quests in the TOR beta was great. we actually died a few times, now what they need is MORE of that, I really wish MMOs made a conscious attempt to encourage people to level together. I don't mind solo leveling, it should surely always be possible but latelly it seems to take precedence over grouping and it's bullshit.

LowParry

The Trooper is what I want to play I'm pretty sure but mine is stuck at level 9 and won't load....how is he up to 29?...I loved the shooting in the Prologue...what about the companion...is he good?

The first companion you get is pretty much straight forward dps. As a vanguard, I played out my tank role using the Ion Cell rounds so that I could apply Guard to my companion. Once you get your ship, you'll get another companion that does nothing but heal. So you can you change your roll up a bit by changing ammo type and just dps. But it's not as fast as your first companion. Third companion was a mix of offense and healing. In fact, I took that particular companion in on an earlier flashpoint and it healed me just fine along with the group. I really enjoyed that companion.

Edit: Oh, I forgot to mention, later on, you will be able to buy companion kits and be able to change what kind of "class" they are. So you aren't always stuck with that one class type in your companion.

erragal

Third companion was a mix of offense and healing. In fact, I took that particular companion in on an earlier flashpoint and it healed me just fine along with the group. I really enjoyed that companion.

Edit: Oh, I forgot to mention, later on, you will be able to buy companion kits and be able to change what kind of "class" they are. So you aren't always stuck with that one class type in your companion.

The companion kits sound really interesting if they allow you to keep your favorite companion from a story/personality/looks perspective but make it fit your needs.

My concern is that you mention your companion being able to heal a flashpoint. Is companion healing that potent, are flashpoints that easy, is it just early flashpoints at that difficulty level?

Just trying to gauge how much healing I need on my operative; I really like the 'generic' imperial agent tree so if I can kit out a companion to heal anything my group does, I can spec around using poison instead.

The companion kits sound really interesting if they allow you to keep your favorite companion from a story/personality/looks perspective but make it fit your needs.

My concern is that you mention your companion being able to heal a flashpoint. Is companion healing that potent, are flashpoints that easy, is it just early flashpoints at that difficulty level?

Just trying to gauge how much healing I need on my operative; I really like the 'generic' imperial agent tree so if I can kit out a companion to heal anything my group does, I can spec around using poison instead.

The later flashpoints get much harder and require a person to have much more defined character builds instead of mixed class designs some will have in the early levels. I doubt a companion character will work good at higher level flashpoints.

LowParry

I was level 24 at the time and went in on the first Flashpoint, Esseles. Most of the group was level 10. So my companion didn't have much effort to put in, in terms of healing. Now if I did the same thing with the current Flashpoint, Athiss (Lvl 20+), my companion would struggle big time and the party would die. Better with a player healer.

I healed Hammer Station a couple times yesterday and I really don't see how a companion would be able to sufficiently heal for a couple of those bosses, especially the last one.

Why does this game feel small? Wow feels like it's a lot more open and there is a lot more to explore. I didn't get that feeling with ToR, which bugs me.

And the clipping in this game is awful. Even on the opening scene with the Jedi Knight, you can see the lightsaber disappearing into the first quest giver's hip.

Dina

I haven't done any Flashpoints. One of the drawbacks of being ahead of the crowd is not having anyone to group with. So most Heroic quests I couldn't do. Heroics quests of 2+ are still very, very hard. Impossible without a companion, and you need to pick your fights and let the companion tank your stuff for you. The regular quests, however, are not hard at all. Packs of 5 are easy and even the harder and elite mobs are fairly easy. Only needed to pop health pots a few times in my 25 hours or so. Chain-pulling is what makes it hard, but that is mostly a fault of my own.

That said, there is enough to distract you. PvP queueing is easy and pretty fun, flightmissions are cool. When the game ships I plan on leveling with a friend, so we'll queue for Flashpoints as well. But I haven't done any, even thought I had quests for five different flashpoints at level 28. So enough instances for you to do, at least.

Also, I when I was done on the fourth planet (Ord Mandell - Coruscant - Taris - Nar Shaddaa), I could skip the fifth to go to the sixth. I was level 28 where Shaddaa is tailored to 20 - 24. I leveled pretty far in Coruscant apparently, so I did a lot of stuff being a bit overpowered. A lot of enemies were green, so maybe that's why I thought it was so easy. On the bright side, there is enough to do. I usually did all the bonus quests (automatically, only a few needed a bit more grind but nothing excessive like killing for 30 minutes, 10 mins tops), but even if you don't you never have to grind to catch up on levels.

Why does this game feel small? Wow feels like it's a lot more open and there is a lot more to explore. I didn't get that feeling with ToR, which bugs me.

Because WoW was one big world that was mostly connected. This is a bunch of different planets so they couldn't model and build up full worlds for 10+ planets and had to split it up into planetary zones. SWG attempted to model entire planets and had about 80% of each planet being barren with nothing on them. And really it wouldn't be very Star Wars if they had limited the game to one or two planets.

Star Trek online for example had tons of diverse looking planets, but there was zero exploration as each planet zone was basically a little square instance you did a misison on and then left.

erragal

I was level 24 at the time and went in on the first Flashpoint, Esseles. Most of the group was level 10. So my companion didn't have much effort to put in, in terms of healing. Now if I did the same thing with the current Flashpoint, Athiss (Lvl 20+), my companion would struggle big time and the party would die. Better with a player healer.

The later flashpoints get much harder and require a person to have much more defined character builds instead of mixed class designs some will have in the early levels. I doubt a companion character will work good at higher level flashpoints.

I healed Hammer Station a couple times yesterday and I really don't see how a companion would be able to sufficiently heal for a couple of those bosses, especially the last one.

Thanks a lot for the impressions, that's definitely what I wanted to hear. I'll be doing everything in a three-person group so if it's hard at 4 I'll have my healing work cut out for me. Not a bad thing at all, frantic healing is fun healing.

Now to figure out my ultimate leveling/instancing healing/dps spec for my operative; too many good talents in that general IA tree!!

Dina

I loved him. The companion you get after Nar Shaddaa is amazing, and the companion you get after Taris is... interesting, to say the least.

But the combat is great. Enough CC in PvP, even though charging Force-characters still give me some trouble. The less mobile you have to be, the more damage you can do. I played a DPS Commando in PvP. This here is a pretty good video what a combat medic specced Trooper at level 16 can do: http://www.youtube.com/user/taugrimtaugrim#p/u/1/Yz-I7oNxSpI

I had enough abilities to make it fun, even if the talent trees are a bit boring (incremental stat boosts with a new spell every 10 levels). The assault cannon really makes you feel like a bad-ass. Some weapons even have a kickass BAM-BAM-BAM-BAM-BAM sound, while other sound weaker. Also found some purple items, which is nice since purple reliably dropped around level 60+ area in WoW. Getting questloot tailored to your class (kinda) is also a nice lesson learned from wow. And if you can't use anything, just take the badge reward for some nice blue loot at the end of the zone at the spacestation badge vendor.

Money is another thing that's nicely balanced. I bought two inventory expansions (5000 and 20000 credits) and have around 40k at level 25. Bought the speeder upgrade, which broke me, but I had enough credits to buy the mount itself two levels later.

Professions could use some more automation, but get better as the game progresses. I had Armstech, Scavenging and Investigation. Scavenging is done in the world, picking apart beaten droids or heaps of garbage. Then your companion (preferably not your fighting partner since he disappears) you send on Investigation missions for higher-tier crafting materials or companion appreciation items. These missions take about 3-5 minutes at the starter level, but ramp up to 15 minutes at the third level. It takes some credits, but not a lot. And they level your professions while you just play along. Crafting weapons for Armstech takes about 45 seconds and could be shorter, but at least you can queue up five at the same time. And you can reverse engineer those weapons for more models and some crafting materials back.

Level curve is pretty good as well, Taris took me a good few hours (5 to 6, maybe more), while Nar Shaddaa took me that same amount as well. Those 5 minute long spacefights also are nice, and the spaceship is a nice answer to having some persistant player housing (I hope you can decorate your ship later on).

All in all, I enjoyed it. It's a lot, a whole lot, like WoW. But it's different enough, the mechanics are solid, it's wonderfully bug-free, runs pretty well and when we can turn on AA the jaggies should be gone. Animations aren't great and the graphical fidelity is all pretty much to be expected from MMO's. It's no Skyrim, but it's all pretty acceptible.

However, it also never surprises you. PvP, especially Hutt Ball, was a bit chaotic and no teamtactics to be found. I have no clue how hard Flashpoints are (though above me they seems pretty hard) and raiding is an even larger unknown.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom