• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars: The Old Republic: Shadow of Revan announced

Well while you guys are going on about rape and the mythical beaten corpse that is KOTOR 3, I just want to let everybody know that there will be a special developer stream today that will go over the new Discipline system for the game.

http://www.twitch.tv/swtor

Starts at 2 PM CDT.

Should be pretty informative if you're into the game!

Did they change it so that the game doesn't play like crap yet?

I loved my bounty hunter as a character, but god did she play like the most boring jank piece of shit ever created.

I would really like to go finish her story one day, but playing the actual game is so damn tedious.

royox

Not falling again for this Bioware.

I played the game for almost 3 years since the early acces and bought the stupid RoTHC expansion that 5 month later was fucking free for everybody. Expansion with only 3 operations. I stopped playing this because I was sick of doing oricon Operations every fucking week for a year...and when they announced new Operations it only was the Nightmare mode of those 2. Still no new operations for SWTOR since 2013 July.

No, If bioware don't promise they will add new high end PVE content every X months I'm not buying it.

And I'm hyped as fuck. Revan is my fav. Star Wars character.

Acosta

I'm tempted for the XP mechanic as I have always wanted to experience the story but had not the patience for a 55 run. How long a complete run with that multiplier could take?

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?
I heard a rumor they were going to introduce an artillery class, but that plan fell through when Disney took away the canon.

Ok, I chuckled.

Dammit. No, I am not interested in fighting Revan again. Teaming up with him would be cool (like as a 3rd faction, maybe?), but pls no more Revan bossfights.

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?
Dammit. No, I am not interested in fighting Revan again. Teaming up with him would be cool (like as a 3rd faction, maybe?), but pls no more Revan bossfights.

I never fought him as a Republic player ;)

I'm tempted for the XP mechanic as I have always wanted to experience the story but had not the patience for a 55 run. How long a complete run with that multiplier could take?
Depends on how fast you are. You could probably hit 55 in a day with this boost if you steamroll.

Moff

So I guess Revan being evil is the canon ending to KOTOR now?
not really no, the novel and the story so far in SWTOR make clear, that the KOTOR canon ending was the good ending. the new expansion shows what happened after that.

I really want to know what is bioware excuse to make Revan attack the Republic as well

Honestly I always suspected that Revan is somehow trying to bring an end to the great war. it makes sense that he would see both factions as evil as long as they continue this galaxy destroying war.
I'm only surprised this happens so soon, I expected this to happen at the very end of SWTOR or maybe even a novel, a single player game or whatever.
so we will have to see what happens to him, maybe he wont even be a raid boss or survive somehow.

BizzyBum

How is this game doing now? Do they still release population numbers?

I've heard it's done much better since going F2P. Is this true?

Probably two or three days of solid play at most. Did you play Imperial Agent yet? If so play through the Imperial Agent story, it's very well done.

I'm resubbing to play through a storyline over a weekend and then to play GSF with my wife (who is insanely good at that mode).

SargerusBR

I love Pokken!
I cant help but to think Revan is the main villain only because Bioware got lazy and couldn't create a better expansion and decided to end the Revan storyline by making him the the bad guy, plus now that the EU is non-canon they can go with all crazy ideas not giving a fuck about the lore.

I saw this, was confused and decided to go read the Revan entry on Wookiepedia.

They've done a lot with Revan. A hell of a lot. Multiple back & forths.

I played this game at launch but never since it went f2p. Isn't there something where you have to pay to play the raids?
There are two ways to doing operations. You can either subscribe, or you can buy Operation Passes on the Galactic Trade Network (the in-game Auction House) or on the Cartel Market. Each pass is a week's worth of operation access.

Moff

I cant help but to think Revan is the main villain only because Bioware got lazy and couldn't create a better expansion and decided to end the Revan storyline by making him the the bad guy, plus now that the EU is non-canon they can go with all crazy ideas not giving a fuck about the lore.

what lore? the novel and SWTOR (both written by Drew Karpyshyn) pretty much defined who and what revan is. there simply wasnt enough in the original KOTOR, although that was written by Karpyshyn, too.

I dont see him as the villain btw. its more like he sees the players as the villains. and he is right.

but we will see what bioware will do with him in that expansion. if he is only a dumb, disposable villain I will definitely hate it, but thats not how SWTOR has treated him so far.

Not BioWare's fault but ever since Disney basically made the distinction that any game outside of their controlled new canon rules technically never happened I find it hard to get involved or interested in new content/story.

Will wait and see what previews for this are like but it's just so hard to get back into MMO's after a burnout.

Sorian

Banned
Not BioWare's fault but ever since Disney basically made the distinction that any game outside of their controlled new canon rules technically never happened I find it hard to get involved or interested in new content/story.

Will wait and see what previews for this are like but it's just so hard to get back into MMO's after a burnout.

There are multiple interviews where the community team for this game has said that their writers have multiple conference calls a month with Disney. Because of how far back in time this is from the movies, I'm pretty sure they are still giving bioware creative freedom with the game and letting then fall in the canon umbrella.

iFirez

I'm resubbing to play through a storyline over a weekend
I'm doing the same along with the preorder for this new expansion. Furthest I ever got was level 32, I felt exp gain and story dwindled so I gave up. Glad to be jumping back in though. Planning to do Jedi and Imperial Agent characters, let's see how far I get this time.

FYI: I hate PVP, I'm very much a non-competitive player, so I only really play MMO's for PVE and good story. I never did try Elder Scrolls Online but not many MMO's grab me - gameplay is fine in them all though, that's not what bothers me.

DodgerSan

Marvel comics and Marvel movies are in two separate universes. I am able to enjoy both without worrying what is 'real'.

Melchior

I played this on launch and hit level i think 30~40 and got pretty bored of it and unsubbed. Is it still any good and is it still alive? Everything I see about it makes me want to come back.. Also is it worth playing without a sub.

Ken

Man, I'm super tempted to try out the 12x EXP to level a Commando DPS. How are those these days? Fun?

I played a Vanguard tank to max level but didn't have a lot of fun at end game.

Steel

Banned
Ugh... Seriously? I don't even....

I've played the game and saw what they do with Revan. How the hell does this work?

Enthus

Why couldn't they just let Revan rest peacefully after KOTOR? Everything from the SWTOR multimedia campaign has just further damaged his character. At least SWTOR is non-canon now, so I really can disregard it even more so than before.

SargerusBR

I love Pokken!
Why couldn't they just let Revan rest peacefully after KOTOR? Everything from the SWTOR multimedia campaign has just further damaged his character. At least SWTOR is non-canon now, so I really can disregard it even more so than before.

Well KOTOR is non-canon too, so it doesn't really make a difference.

Dec 19? Isn't that a bit fast?

It's the 9th, not the 19th. It kind of meshes with their patching schedule, and wanting something out later in the year but with a week or two before Christmas (to deal with the biggest issues) seems reasonable.

Also it gives them a few weeks after Warlords of Draenor comes out to attract the MMO content strip miners.

Man, I hate when SWTOR threads get posted out here. People get stupid so quickly.

well at least there isn't titanic gifs on each page of this thread. that's a start!

SRTtoZ

I havent played in a while but its a pretty fun game, especially if you're a Star Wars fan. My biggest complaint is the F2P mechanic and Cartel store (which is keeping them alive), but the stuff on the store is some of the best looking/coolest items in the game, and I can't stand that. They are also re-doing the talent trees to be more like WoW, less choices but more meaningful. I will check it out.

Nethaniah

Talk about hyperboles.

Not really, they should have just distanced themselves from the whole Revan storyline especially given that the game takes place god knows how many years after the original, yet they keep bringing it back.

If you think the storyline in SWTOR is good compared to the original 2 games then i don't know what to tell you.

Also, people STILL love using "hyperbole" for every post they don't agree with.

So does this XP have new solo Story quests? Or the new content is all dungeons/raids?
It's mainly like Rise of the Hutt Cartel with a single story for each side. They did confirm today that there is a special class-specific story mission in this expansion though.

Moff

Not really, they should have just distanced themselves from the whole Revan storyline especially given that the game takes place god knows how many years after the original, yet they keep bringing it back.

If you think the storyline in SWTOR is good compared to the original 2 games then i don't know what to tell you.

apart from the twist, which was awesome. KOTOR1 didnt really have an interesting story. I honestly dont know where all these "they destroy the great revan lore!" remarks come from, seriously not. especially since there is a novel from the author who wrote revan in KOTOR1, which SWTOR is based on.

now KOTOR2 and the exile are a whole different matter, thats a character and lore where it really can be said they destroyed them. and in many ways. the exile is a much more interesting character with a far better story than revan.

Top Bottom