• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Starbound |OT| Boundless...

Vex_

Banned
Station that you can dump pixels to store it.

http://starbound.wikia.com/wiki/Pixel_Compressor

A crafting table that turns your pixels into an item so that you can stash it without losing lots of pixels on death. It's like a bank.

I feel like I'm going saying this a lot simply because I don't progress through this game as fast as others. I've literally found 20+ hours of shit to do exploring a total of only 2 solar systems.

You mean to tell me........?

*Screams internally*

Morokh

For your seed needs, build a home and put some flower furniture in it with some crates and a Seed merchant will show up, he doesn't sell them all, but enough to have some steady supply.

Grinchy

Banned
I feel like every time I come across a cotton plant, I can harvest the cotton fibre and then use my manipulator to pull the plant from the ground, giving me a seed. Is that not the case? I haven't really tried too much to gather them, but I have like 8 cotton plants so far.

HaRyu

Unconfirmed Member
I feel like every time I come across a cotton plant, I can harvest the cotton fibre and then use my manipulator to pull the plant from the ground, giving me a seed. Is that not the case? I haven't really tried too much to gather them, but I have like 8 cotton plants so far.

Mmmm, thought it was obvious? Any plant that's still standing after you harvest them (by pressing E), you will need to use the manipulator to grab the seed.

Grinchy

Banned
Mmmm, thought it was obvious? Any plant that's still standing after you harvest them (by pressing E), you will need to use the manipulator to grab the seed.

I guess I just saw the top of the page (100 posts per page) with people saying seeds were hard to come by and wondered if something funky was going on for me.

Sarcasm

I guess I just saw the top of the page (100 posts per page) with people saying seeds were hard to come by and wondered if something funky was going on for me.

Well thing is you only get one seed for cotton. With cotton you don't use the manipulator, just press E after it's full cycle. You do not need to destroy it to get the cotton.

What people are complaining about is with cotton there is 0% chance of getting a second seed when destroyed.

Spyware

Yeah you can't multiply the cotton you have, you have to be lucky and find more "in the wild".
I was lucky with my new character yesterday. Her starting planet had 8 plants on it so I could immediately start harvesting a bunch. The other characters I've had have been on planets with 0-2 plants each.

And yeah I keep restarting as soon as I get the ability to go to other planets. I don't really know why.

A friend bought a 4 pack, so I'm in!

Question,. Anyone have a good joy2key setup, and if so, would you mind putting it here? Thanks!

edit:

Alright, I set something up that works for me now, though there will be additional functions I'll unlock when playing more than 5 minutes into the game.

Left Stick = Movement
Right Stick = Cursor
Left Stick Click = L Shift (Hold to Walk or make blocks smaller)
Right Stick Click = Magnifying Glass
Left Trigger = Special Attack
Right Trigger = Attack (Mouse Click)
Left Bumper = Mouse Scroll Left
Right Bumper = Mouse Scroll Right
A = Jump
X = Interact
Y = Matter Manipulator
B = Drop Item
Dpad UP = Hotkey 1 (Switches to Default Weapon Slot)
Dpad LEFT = Switches hotbar
Dpad RIGHT = Crafting Menu
Dpad DOWN (Not sure If I'm using it yet)
Back = Escape
Start = Inventory

Make sure to turn up Deadzone on Xbox360 controllers
Analog stick 2 gets 10 movement +5 acceleration
Left and Right Bumpers for mouse wheel get +15 movement

I'm okay with seeds not being very easy to amass. It just means you need to go exploring for more rather than not working for it at all, which lets admit farming is really really easy in this game.

WaterAstro

On which type of planets can I find concrete ?

Edit : Got it, Apex Scientific facilities on Frozen/dark planets

Do you know you can make those blocks after collecting it once? Just letting you know since it sounds like you're going around collecting concrete blocks. Use the workbench.

Morokh

Do you know you can make those blocks after collecting it once? Just letting you know since it sounds like you're going around collecting concrete blocks. Use the workbench.

Yes I know, that was why I was looking for a place with some of them :)

Haven't used them yet, but this is my base so far (Took me waaay too long to build lol)
Click the picture for the full view (Warning : Big picture)

Time to take a little break xD

Mr Git

Yes I know, that was why I was looking for a place with some of them :)

Haven't used them yet, but this is my base so far (Took me waaay too long to build lol)
Click the picture for the full view (Warning : Big picture)

Time to take a little break xD

Nice! I still need to build a full home and farm, currently got two separate ones on singleplayer.

Finished furnishing Gaf Keep -although I'll probably keep adding to it if it's not already too obnoxiously large. I made a wizard's tower with a rail going back to Gaf City. :')

OmegaDL50

I started a farm and planted some Peach Trees to the left.

VH9qjgA.jpg

I've made about 6000 Zeny in 2 hours of play time. Once my farm is truly complete I can see how it can be a truly worthwhile money maker.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
I'm having the odd problem where I can't take screenshots with the F12 button. Steam overlay works, I just can't take any screenshots, and simply hitting printscreen and pasting it into Paint seems to always capture the main menu no matter where I am in game. Strange...

Retro

I started a farm and planted some Peach Trees to the left.

.. I had no idea there were fruit bearing trees. Shit, I need to actually play the game again soon.

GAF City is more or less done.
The left / west side of town now has a farm (nothing is planted, so go ahead and put what you guys need there) and a vertical shaft to get down to ground level. The farm is already set up with automatic sprinklers.
The right / east side of town isn't done yet, but there's not much more to really add; I was thinking a shop with an NPC for basic buying and selling, but that's about it.

I was toying with the idea of blowing up the crafting area since it's a bit laggy around the storage rooms; if people are having frame issues there we can always move it further away from the food area, that might help.

Lemme know if you guys would rather have everything in one spot or spread out a bit more to avoid frame issues.

I was also thinking a museum, but if someone else wants to build it, feel free. I feel like I've kind of dominated the GAF planet so far and I'm glad people are starting to build there so it's not all "Planet Retro" =p

OmegaDL50

.. I had no idea there were fruit bearing trees. Shit, I need to actually play the game again soon.

The Fruit Trees are a little wonky. You cut them down like any other Tree and each Tree drops 3 piece of the type of fruit has as well as all of the Wood and a Sapling to replant it.

I would have prefered if there was a way to just shake the tree and the crop falls and it takes awhile to regrow back, but nope. Gotta cut it down and regrow a new one.

There is four different Fruits.

Apples, Pears, Coconut, and Peaches.

I have no idea the Biome diversity of a Fruit tree location, but I found bunch of Peach Trees on some Forest World in a Gentle Star system.

Horse Detective

Why the long case?
Without cloud saving, I think your best bet is move your universe / character folders on a flash drive.

I was just about to try this.

I was thinking my gf could run the game from her external hd, and basically have the same files whatever computer she uses.

How would I cloud save the data, just manually upload it to dropbox?

HaRyu

Unconfirmed Member
I was just about to try this.

I was thinking my gf could run the game from her external hd, and basically have the same files whatever computer she uses.

How would I cloud save the data, just manually upload it to dropbox?

There's a folder marked STORAGE in the Starbound folder, thats where all the save files are located, and you want to get that entire folder. Be aware that the overall size of what has to be saved is entirely dependent on how much of the universe you've explored, since the game creates an individual save file for each planet, because of that, there is a possibility of there being a LOT of files, if you're the sort who just likes to explore as much as possible. Size of each individual file is entirely dependent on how much you modify a planet. For example, if you're an OCD building maniac like Retro, your planet files can get pretty damn big.

Can you clarify something? Do you want to be able to play with your GF, or do you just want to share your save file with your GF? If you just want to have a persistent universe that either of you can access at any given time where the both of you can play in, maybe just run a server?

Horse Detective

Why the long case?
There's a folder marked STORAGE in the Starbound folder, thats where all the save files are located, and you want to get that entire folder. Be aware that the overall size of what has to be saved is entirely dependent on how much of the universe you've explored, since the game creates an individual save file for each planet, because of that, there is a possibility of there being a LOT of files, if you're the sort who just likes to explore as much as possible. Size of each individual file is entirely dependent on how much you modify a planet. For example, if you're an OCD building maniac like Retro, your planet files can get pretty damn big.

Can you clarify something? Do you want to be able to play with your GF, or do you just want to share your save file with your GF? If you just want to have a persistent universe that either of you can access at any given time where the both of you can play in, maybe just run a server?
We both primarily play on my gaming pc individually, since her laptop isn't too great. when we play together, she switches to her laptop, but doesn't get to keep her save file

Mr Git

The Fruit Trees are a little wonky. You cut them down like any other Tree and each Tree drops 3 piece of the type of fruit has as well as all of the Wood and a Sapling to replant it.

I would have prefered if there was a way to just shake the tree and the crop falls and it takes awhile to regrow back, but nope. Gotta cut it down and regrow a new one.

There is four different Fruits.

Apples, Pears, Coconut, and Peaches.

I have no idea the Biome diversity of a Fruit tree location, but I found bunch of Peach Trees on some Forest World in a Gentle Star system.

Don't forget alien fruit! I planted some trees on Gafworld - they're the purple stripey ones. Chopping one down will net you loads of fruit so feel free. It makes alien preserve which gives you low grav :D

Venfayth

I keep coming back to the game just to build and explore, finally got my full shadow suit, but I'm curious if there are any postgame challenges like a super boss or something? I think I need something like that - some goal to keep me playing.

OmegaDL50

I keep coming back to the game just to build and explore, finally got my full shadow suit, but I'm curious if there are any postgame challenges like a super boss or something? I think I need something like that - some goal to keep me playing.

If you play with mods the Frackin Universe mod adds this sort of stuff.

It adds a few new star types which also contain new planet biomes on difficulties beyond the standard game. There is also the Science lab which you can create new gear that also isn't in the base game. Along with missions for some post-game like progression stuff.

HaRyu

Unconfirmed Member
We both primarily play on my gaming pc individually, since her laptop isn't too great. when we play together, she switches to her laptop, but doesn't get to keep her save file

Ahh. One other issue you might have is a matter of synch. You'd have to go to the trouble of making sure the universe files are the same on both computers.

However, if you only backup the player saves, that only backs up the character, the ship, and any items on the ship. That way she can keep her character and items, and you don't have to worry about the trouble of backing/synching the universe files. She can play in her own universe, and when she plays with you, you can both play in the same universe (pretty much how going SP to MP works).

HaRyu

Unconfirmed Member
Is there a way to use cloud service and a program that checks for newest and copies>?

I dont have it setup on the server, but I had a setup where I had a backup program do incremental backups of the save files (that way, in case TROLLS, I could at least revert a specific planet back to a certain day).

Unfortunately, since I'm technically running the server on a different computer, (and had long since deleted the backup program), I dont quite remember which program it is. SUPPOSEDLY, Win10 has a way to do increment backups built into it, but I havent done too much research into it. Might get on that during the week.

HaRyu

Unconfirmed Member
BTW...

PSA: Soooo... remember that broken sword you got waaaaaaay back in the beginning of the game when you first started off? Yeah, that one? You didn't throw it away, did you?

In case you did, you're in luck! If you don't want to mess around with ADMIN commands,just hop on the server, and go ask Retro, he'll make one for you if you need it.

Why would you want that sword? Well... reasons.

Taffer

BTW...

PSA: Soooo... remember that broken sword you got waaaaaaay back in the beginning of the game when you first started off? Yeah, that one? You didn't throw it away, did you?

In case you did, you're in luck! If you don't want to mess around with ADMIN commands,just hop on the server, and go ask Retro, he'll make one for you if you need it.

As it happens I've been meaning to pester him about this very thing (or tool around with /admin offline, whichever happens first), thanks for the reminder. I have some Apex armour to sweeten the deal, is it even possible to bribe people with admin powers?

HaRyu

Unconfirmed Member
As it happens I've been meaning to pester him about this very thing (or tool around with /admin offline, whichever happens first), thanks for the reminder. I have some Apex armour to sweeten the deal, is it even possible to bribe people with admin powers?

You don't have to bribe us with anything, you can just ask.

Now, as pointed out, you could use ADMIN yourself, but it really breaks the game when you start over-relying on it too much, so use it sparingly Which is why I'm making the offer for you guys to just hop on the server to get the sword.

BTW...

I am really glad that you mentioned this. I will have to hop by and get one soon.

Horse Detective

Why the long case?
Changing the difficulty mode in my player file wiped my save data O_O

Good thing I made a backup. Did I do this incorrectly? Reddit said to simply edit the difficulty...

I'm going to blow your mind a moment here...

Go into singleplayer

type /admin

Then type /fullbright

Looks like an entirely different game with full lighting enabled.

edit:
Of course do /admin again if you want to play this way.

HaRyu

Unconfirmed Member
Changing the difficulty mode in my player file wiped my save data O_O

Good thing I made a backup. Did I do this incorrectly? Reddit said to simply edit the difficulty...

Never tried that, but the fact that you made a backup means you're way smarter than most people. :D

VandalD

My little spot in GAF world so far:

Was wandering around to see if I even wanted to build something, and I ran into one of those ruined towers. This used to be one of those. The pit in the middle goes all the way down to core fragments. I also found out that if you touch a few blocks above the bottom of the world, you instantly die even if there's floor. So careful with that.

I'm also responsible for the tunneling under a lot of the stuff other people have built, to make it a bit easier to walk around the planet, and the little sleeping area in the mine which someone can take over.

Mr Git

I'm also responsible for the tunneling under a lot of the stuff other people have built, to make it a bit easier to walk around the planet, and the little sleeping area in the mine which someone can take over.

Ah I was gonna tunnel down a bit into that tunnel if you don't mind - I'll still keep an access open, was thinking a couple of secret doors but wouldn't mind a basement :')

Also thanks for showing me the Terramart shipment machine functions through stone platforms :D

VandalD

Ah I was gonna tunnel down a bit into that tunnel if you don't mind - I'll still keep an access open, was thinking a couple of secret doors but wouldn't mind a basement :')

Also thanks for showing me the Terramart shipment machine functions through stone platforms :D
Oh yeah, I don't mind at all. Work it into your build or completely change it, up to you. It's just there for now so that people don't have to climb all over each other's houses to get around, aside from teleporting.

Mr Git

Oh yeah, I don't mind at all. Work it into your build or completely change it, up to you. It's just there for now so that people don't have to climb all over each other's houses to get around, aside from teleporting.

Okay cheers that's tonight's procrastination! We could make an underground rail system? My enthusiasm to do my work is very high as you can tell.

_Clash_

Hey guys,

Thought I'd ask if anyone has had a problem when playing with a friend where by an infinite/ reoccurring teleport sequence/animation occurs when trying to teleport to their planet from your ship? Just started happening and there's no returning from the teleport animation with out exit-> restart. It happens when he's the host.

I'm playing 32bit and he's 64bit. Could this be the cause of the problem?

Hoping somebody can help explain something for me, I guess.

So in Terraria, you made a world, then you made characters separately who could go into any of your worlds. I always made hardcore characters while playing with a friend, then I'd come back in with a new character to pick up the stuff. Really liked playing on Hardcore.

I remember being able to drop back in with a new guy without rebooting the world, I think.

Anyway, I thought I'd do the same for this game, but it's like restarting a story mode every time you make a new guy. You can't just continue where the last guy left off, it appears. So each time I die, I'm starting completely from scratch, ships broken, intro mission, etc, and the world is different every time I make a new character.

So do I have that all correct, or is there a way I can simply make a world, store my stuff with a guy, then if he dies, my new guy can keep living in that world too..

I'd like to play as hardcore characters without having the world, progress, etc. reset.
Is that possible?

Also, any tips for feeding my character would be great. I end up going through my cans, but before I can really explore and get into things, I get hungry and eventually just die.

Thanks!

Bombless

So in Terraria, you made a world, then you made characters separately who could go into any of your worlds. I always made hardcore characters while playing with a friend, then I'd come back in with a new character to pick up the stuff. Really liked playing on Hardcore.

I remember being able to drop back in with a new guy without rebooting the world, I think.

Anyway, I thought I'd do the same for this game, but it's like restarting a story mode every time you make a new guy. You can't just continue where the last guy left off, it appears. So each time I die, I'm starting completely from scratch, ships broken, intro mission, etc, and the world is different every time I make a new character.

So do I have that all correct, or is there a way I can simply make a world, store my stuff with a guy, then if he dies, my new guy can keep living in that world too..

I'd like to play as hardcore characters without having the world, progress, etc. reset.
Is that possible?

Also, any tips for feeding my character would be great. I end up going through my cans, but before I can really explore and get into things, I get hungry and eventually just die.

Thanks!

As far as I know you can't continue with a new char where the dead left off. Not in the vanilla game anyway. Might be possible with mods?

As for food, all I did was gather a few seeds and plant them (you need a hoe to till a patch of dirt to plant things) then I sprinkled water over it. Cook your produce and you should be fine. You can also hunt creatures with hunting spears, they should drop meat you can cook.

VandalD

Is the cooling EPP the final one ?

Just wondering if I can put in my augments without screwing myself later.
Yeah it is. I stuck a Light 2 on my cooling EPP and it's been great.

Hey guys,

Thought I'd ask if anyone has had a problem when playing with a friend where by an infinite/ reoccurring teleport sequence/animation occurs when trying to teleport to their planet from your ship? Just started happening and there's no returning from the teleport animation with out exit-> restart. It happens when he's the host.

I'm playing 32bit and he's 64bit. Could this be the cause of the problem?
Not sure about the mixing operating systems, but I know that can happen when I play on the server. Kinda feels like the server is trying to load the area you're teleporting to, but it's not fast enough to do it before you finish warping in, so it forces you back and forth between the two places with it trying to load two different things. I haven't gotten stuck in a teleport loop yet, but I have gone back and forth automatically a few times. Not sure how you'd fix it.

Starbound almost works like Terraria. All of the worlds you explored and built on are still there with any character you use. You just don't start on the same planet every time you make a new character. As long as you make a note of those worlds yourself (in a .txt or something, type down the coordinates and the planet's full name) then you can always return to them, provided you fix up your ship and have the fuel. Don't rely on the in-game bookmarks for very important planets in hardcore mode. You'll lose the bookmarks if you die.

Top Bottom