• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Starbound |OT| Boundless...

I feel like I'm playing this game wrong because I went to 2 ocean planets looking for Hylotl clues and I only found one in a roof of a lone home. Also, I can't find any settlements that will get me new crew members.

I already crafted titanium gear.

iosefe

I feel like I'm playing this game wrong because I went to 2 ocean planets looking for Hylotl clues and I only found one in a roof of a lone home. Also, I can't find any settlements that will get me new crew members.

I already crafted titanium gear.
Dive. Just keep swimming

HaRyu

Unconfirmed Member
Hoping somebody can help explain something for me, I guess.

So in Terraria, you made a world, then you made characters separately who could go into any of your worlds. I always made hardcore characters while playing with a friend, then I'd come back in with a new character to pick up the stuff. Really liked playing on Hardcore.

I remember being able to drop back in with a new guy without rebooting the world, I think.

Anyway, I thought I'd do the same for this game, but it's like restarting a story mode every time you make a new guy. You can't just continue where the last guy left off, it appears. So each time I die, I'm starting completely from scratch, ships broken, intro mission, etc, and the world is different every time I make a new character.

So do I have that all correct, or is there a way I can simply make a world, store my stuff with a guy, then if he dies, my new guy can keep living in that world too..

I'd like to play as hardcore characters without having the world, progress, etc. reset.
Is that possible?

Also, any tips for feeding my character would be great. I end up going through my cans, but before I can really explore and get into things, I get hungry and eventually just die.

Thanks!

You basically have two types of saves. Universe and Player.

Universe saves cover any and all planets you visit, even if you werent on the planet for more than a few seconds. Anything you do on a planet is saved into the Universe saves. So if you dig a hole, or if you die and drop your items, as long as you return to where you died, they will still be there, doesnt matter how many times you die, your items will stay there until you pick them up.

Player saves cover your character, anything your character is carrying, plus your ship, anything your ship is carrying, and any NPCs on your ship who act as crew members.

Every time you start a new character, that character starts on another random world somewhere in the Universe. The thing is, everything you've done in the Universe till that point where you started a 2nd/3rd/whatever character, still exists, and still has the changes you caused. Your changes to the Universe arent disappearing/being reset with each new character, you're just starting off in some other random corner of the Universe.

For example, your first characters starts on some random planet at coordinates 001,001. Your 2nd character? He's not gonna start at 001,001. He'll start somewhere at 398,427. However, if you manage to get enough resources, you can warp your 2nd character's ship to 001,001.

You CAN have a world where you can just store everything for all your characters. You just need to write down the coordinates to that planet. Bookmarking isnt going to work because bookmarks are part of the ship, and that's part of the Player save, and that's different for each character.

You basically have two types of saves. Universe and Player.

Universe saves cover any and all planets you visit, even if you werent on the planet for more than a few seconds. Anything you do on a planet is saved into the Universe saves. So if you dig a hole, or if you die and drop your items, as long as you return to where you died, they will still be there, doesnt matter how many times you die, your items will stay there until you pick them up.

Player saves cover your character, anything your character is carrying, plus your ship, anything your ship is carrying, and any NPCs on your ship who act as crew members.

Every time you start a new character, that character starts on another random world somewhere in the Universe. The thing is, everything you've done in the Universe till that point where you started a 2nd/3rd/whatever character, still exists, and still has the changes you caused. Your changes to the Universe arent disappearing/being reset with each new character, you're just starting off in some other random corner of the Universe.

For example, your first characters starts on some random planet at coordinates 001,001. Your 2nd character? He's not gonna start at 001,001. He'll start somewhere at 398,427. However, if you manage to get enough resources, you can warp your 2nd character's ship to 001,001.

You CAN have a world where you can just store everything for all your characters. You just need to write down the coordinates to that planet. Bookmarking isnt going to work because bookmarks are part of the ship, and that's part of the Player save, and that's different for each character.

I had a feeling this is how the game worked. How does multiplayer work though? Do you or some else host their universe save?

Dive. Just keep swimming

Ok, I thought it was just deep sea creature on the bottom.

Mr Git

Hey guys,

Thought I'd ask if anyone has had a problem when playing with a friend where by an infinite/ reoccurring teleport sequence/animation occurs when trying to teleport to their planet from your ship? Just started happening and there's no returning from the teleport animation with out exit-> restart. It happens when he's the host.

I'm playing 32bit and he's 64bit. Could this be the cause of the problem?

I've had this happen to me too - sometimes it seems to be if there's an obstruction on the teleporters - e.g. staff or my bloody cow. It seems to happen randomly on the server sometimes though.

Server wasn't fond of the hoverbike xD

rY3Ohhy.jpg

As for construction updates - there's now a dungeon and a wider tunnel underneath. I stuck one of those lava machines in the lava moat - hopefully that'll stop it turning to rock. No idea, some rain might've got in.

I cant manage to save that I've been to the outpost already. I have to put in a command to get there every time. Anyone have any solutions?

My game also crashes whenever I try to upgrade my tech. :(

Mr Git

I cant manage to save that I've been to the outpost already. I have to put in a command to get there every time. Anyone have any solutions?

I lost my teleporter bookmark for some reason and it took another couple of visits and bookmarking again to keep it. Not exactly profound advice brimming with knowledge sorry. :/

My game also crashes whenever I try to upgrade my tech. :(

You should verify the game files. Right click on Starbound inside Steam, Properties, Verify Game Files. I don't remember if it is the right path to do it.

HaRyu

Unconfirmed Member
I had a feeling this is how the game worked. How does multiplayer work though? Do you or some else host their universe save?

You end up using the host's Universe save when running MP. And since Player saves are separate from Universe saves, anything on your Player save (aka, your character and ship) is persistent across all Universe saves.

BTW, there's a great trick involving the Universe saves. Let's say you have a planet where you've built some really neat stuff on, and you want it to be in your friend's Universe. Go into the Universe save folder on your computer, you'll notice its not just one file, but a lot of files. It's actually one for each planet. Figure out which one of those files is your planet, and give a copy of it to your friend, and tell him to dump it into the Universe save folder on his computer.

As long as your friend wasnt using that same exact planet in his Universe (which the chances are very slim), your planet is now in his Universe. All you have to do is jump to those coordinates, and viola, your planet is available for use.

The great thing about this trick is that its reaaaaaaally useful for backing up your saves. To be brutally honest, you dont HAVE to back up your entire Universe save folder. The only thing you'd actually care about are the planets you have builds on. Just figure out which ones those are, and only backup THOSE files.

Bonus tip: In case your'e trying to figure out which one is your planet, its actually quite simple. One way is to just note the coordinates, the slight issue with this is that there are multiple planets at coordinates, so you might get the wrong one. A simpler way is to Load up your game, go to your planet, do something to it (break a block, drop off an item), Save & Quit.

Go to your Universe save folder, sort the files by Modified Date/Time, and the most recent one is your planet.

HaRyu

Unconfirmed Member
Holy shit that's amazing. So I could co-op build a singleplayer construction with this by sending the planet save back and forth? That's really cool.

Essentially. Retro and I share a Dropbox folder where we exchange planet files.

I should probably enact the next phase of the GAF server plan. If you have any builds in your SP game, I can create a Dropbox folder where you guys can just dump your builds in, and I can integrate them into the Universe on the server. Quote this post to view the folder (and download files if you want). I think if you want to actually upload to it, you'll need to PM me email address and I'll add you to it.

If you do upload something, after you've done the actual upload, make sure you go into Dropbox and comment on your file, give it a description, and list yourself as the owner of that file. Don't archive the file and upload, just the raw file is fine.

Spyware

Starbound v1.0.4 Changelog
fix OSX crash when performing certain GUI actions
fix a graphical bug when fuel tank contains more than its maximum fuel capacity
fix bug preventing Dreadwing’s visible damage state from changing
fix arm images in Nuru’s portrait in teleport confirmation dialog
fix Blink Dash dropping through platforms
fix booster flame positions on T7 floran ship
fix some problems resolving facing direction while dual wielding e.g. fist weapons
fix some typographical errors
fix hover state in MM upgrade interface while an upgrade is selected
fix bug causing wand/staff projectiles to not track properly on win32
adjust a few item prices
adjust nutrition value of Toast and Potato Grids
better sound effect for Violium Broadsword special ability
better sound effect for Wooden Hatch
disable monster touch damage when they are in special invulnerable states (Spookit, Orbide, Peblit and Trictus)
increase chat bubble duration
revert a previous fix for players beaming into terrain; needs a more complex solution

Grinchy

Banned
Do you guys think they will ever put in an option to lock the windows to any part of the screen you want them to open up to? Or should I give up hope.

cyress8

Banned
One thing I really reall realy really wish they would add: the ability to go up and down stairs without the need to jump. Need to code in those Castlevania steps. Holding down while moving forward should let you walk down stairs, up to go up stairs, and just going forward to bypass the stairs altogether. Have been wishing for that since they released the game in beta.

The game does recognize when you transform a platform to a step so it should be possible to code something to recognize the keybinds when you hit a specific point.

kvothe

One thing I really reall realy really wish they would add: the ability to go up and down stairs without the need to jump. Need to code in those Castlevania steps. Holding down while moving forward should let you walk down stairs, up to go up stairs, and just going forward to bypass the stairs altogether. Have been wishing for that since they released the game in beta.

The game does recognize when you transform a platform to a step so it should be possible to code something to recognize the keybinds when you hit a specific point.

Yeah, trying to run through a prison and getting stuck going up stairs when I mean to head straight is annoying.

OmegaDL50

Something is wrong with my game or one of the Mods I'm using.

I have two different issues, one is a technical problem and another gameplay related issue. The technical is I'm getting occasional screen flickering when I teleport on to a new word or transition into one mini-biome into another mini-biome The only significant mod I use that alters the mechanics is Frackin Universe.

The other gameplay related issue is the Radiation EPP which is supposed to replace the standard one does not let me breath underwater or on zero atmosphere environments. Something either broke the EPP mechanic in how the next tier is supposed to improve upon the last, or the latest 1.0.3 version of the game introduced this as a bug.

I've used Frackin Universe since day one and during the Beta and never had this EPP issue. It's only since updating 1.03 that these weird problems started to occur. The screen flickering issue is also recent too. Hopefully it was just something that was overlooked and will be fixed.

Frackin Universe permanently alters the save file and universe settings. So me simply disabling the mod to see if that is the issue won't be a simple fix as I'd have to start completely all over.

Holy shit that's amazing. So I could co-op build a singleplayer construction with this by sending the planet save back and forth? That's really cool.

For that you'd have to coordinate so that both of you don't build on the planet at the same time, otherwise you'll end up with two forking copies and have to choose which one to discard. Frankly, at that point it's much easier to either host a multiplayer server (which actually uses your single player universe), or simply leave the game running and let the other player connect whenever they want to, with the extra that you can literally build stuff together (a pretty pleasing experience, I helped the missus build her home and it turned out great as we were bouncing ideas back and forth).

You end up using the host's Universe save when running MP. And since Player saves are separate from Universe saves, anything on your Player save (aka, your character and ship) is persistent across all Universe saves.

BTW, there's a great trick involving the Universe saves. Let's say you have a planet where you've built some really neat stuff on, and you want it to be in your friend's Universe. Go into the Universe save folder on your computer, you'll notice its not just one file, but a lot of files. It's actually one for each planet. Figure out which one of those files is your planet, and give a copy of it to your friend, and tell him to dump it into the Universe save folder on his computer.

As long as your friend wasnt using that same exact planet in his Universe (which the chances are very slim), your planet is now in his Universe. All you have to do is jump to those coordinates, and viola, your planet is available for use.

The great thing about this trick is that its reaaaaaaally useful for backing up your saves. To be brutally honest, you dont HAVE to back up your entire Universe save folder. The only thing you'd actually care about are the planets you have builds on. Just figure out which ones those are, and only backup THOSE files.

Bonus tip: In case your'e trying to figure out which one is your planet, its actually quite simple. One way is to just note the coordinates, the slight issue with this is that there are multiple planets at coordinates, so you might get the wrong one. A simpler way is to Load up your game, go to your planet, do something to it (break a block, drop off an item), Save & Quit.

Go to your Universe save folder, sort the files by Modified Date/Time, and the most recent one is your planet.

that's actually really cool.

Essentially. Retro and I share a Dropbox folder where we exchange planet files.

I should probably enact the next phase of the GAF server plan. If you have any builds in your SP game, I can create a Dropbox folder where you guys can just dump your builds in, and I can integrate them into the Universe on the server. Quote this post to view the folder (and download files if you want). I think if you want to actually upload to it, you'll need to PM me email address and I'll add you to it.

If you do upload something, after you've done the actual upload, make sure you go into Dropbox and comment on your file, give it a description, and list yourself as the owner of that file. Don't archive the file and upload, just the raw file is fine.

I've been hoping for this. I'll probably do this once I finish my build. It's pretty big and I don't work on it except every couple days, so it'll take a while.

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
So I've found a ton of really weird and offbeat weapons but I'm not so sure what I think of any of them.

I've found:

alien appendage
Lucaine's energy whip
Magnorbs
Dragonhead Pistol
Supernova Gauntlet
Pollen Pump
oculus reaver

So other than the oculus reaver which is pretty a pretty average weapon I have no real idea how useful most of these are.

The Magnorbs in particular look to be super useful and not to mention a ton of fun to use, I feel like the energy whip might be too slow to actually get any use out of, especially when you compare it to the violium broadsword or any other legendary weapons, even the firestorm fury seems to do better.

The dragonhead pistol is hilariously busted if you pair it with an energy zone staff, I have no idea what the pollen pump is for though, it seems like a joke weapon.

lazygecko

So I've found a ton of really weird and offbeat weapons but I'm not so sure what I think of any of them.

I've found:

alien appendage
Lucaine's energy whip
Magnorbs
Dragonhead Pistol
Supernova Gauntlet
Pollen Pump
oculus reaver

So other than the oculus reaver which is pretty a pretty average weapon I have no real idea how useful most of these are.

The Magnorbs in particular look to be super useful and not to mention a ton of fun to use, I feel like the energy whip might be too slow to actually get any use out of, especially when you compare it to the violium broadsword or any other legendary weapons, even the firestorm fury seems to do better.

The dragonhead pistol is hilariously busted if you pair it with an energy zone staff, I have no idea what the pollen pump is for though, it seems like a joke weapon.

I got an energy pickaxe. Doesn't really seem to be of much practical use vs an upgraded matter manipulator though. I wonder if you can upgrade the pickaxe as well?

I've found:

alien appendage
Lucaine's energy whip
Magnorbs
Dragonhead Pistol
Supernova Gauntlet
Pollen Pump
oculus reaver

Magnorb made me break the game. Made the last boss an utter joke lol.

so I verified my game, still nothing.

Ive used the "/completequest gaterepair" input and the "/warp instanceworld:eek:utpost" input to see if it would jumpstart things back on track but nothing is working

I cannot access the outpost what so ever from my ships teleporter.

I go to an ark and spend another 20 fragments only for it to still not save that i've been there.

This is starting to become increasingly more frustrating as I can't find a solution anywhere

HaRyu

Unconfirmed Member
so I verified my game, still nothing.

Ive used the "/completequest gaterepair" input and the "/warp instanceworld:eek:utpost" input to see if it would jumpstart things back on track but nothing is working

I cannot access the outpost what so ever from my ships teleporter.

I go to an ark and spend another 20 fragments only for it to still not save that i've been there.

This is starting to become increasingly more frustrating as I can't find a solution anywhere

-The save itself may be corrupted, not the game files.
-Have you tried a new character?
-Have you tried going to a gate on another planet?
-Have you already tried clearing all your saves and starting from scratch again?

Backup your saves. Or better yet, just rename the save folder by appending BAK to the folder name, and create a duplicate empty folder (without the BAK).

Make a new character, skip the intro, go find a gate, use admin powers to give you core fragments, see if this works.

-The save itself may be corrupted, not the game files.
-Have you tried a new character?
-Have you tried going to a gate on another planet?
-Have you already tried clearing all your saves and starting from scratch again?

Backup your saves. Or better yet, just rename the save folder by appending BAK to the folder name, and create a duplicate empty folder (without the BAK).

Make a new character, skip the intro, go find a gate, use admin powers to give you core fragments, see if this works.

I havent tried making a new character because i had gotten so far with this one :(

I have gone to another gate on another planet. It lets me go to the outpost but still doesnt show up on my ships teleporter .

Also im completely unfamiliar the save folder option you described. What is BAK? Can you walk me through that and ill give it a try?

HaRyu

Unconfirmed Member
I havent tried making a new character because i had gotten so far with this one :(

I have gone to another gate on another planet. It lets me go to the outpost but still doesnt show up on my ships teleporter .

Also im completely unfamiliar the save folder option you described. What is BAK? Can you walk me through that and ill give it a try?

Right now, you need to narrow down if its the actual game that's preventing you from bookmarking the teleport to the outpost, or if your save is corrupted (specifically, your Player save).

Creating a new character means creating a new Player save. You're not deleting your original character. The purpose of creating a new character is to just to test if whatever bug you're encountering is just specific to your original character.

If everything works fine on the new character, then the unfortunate truth of the matter at that point is that your original character's Player save was probably corrupted. Does this mean all hope is lost? Not neccessarily, I do have an idea to fix it (it JUST popped into my head right now, did a quick check, and it seems like a feasible option), but I need you to confirm on your end exactly when the bug/issue kicks in.

I've found:

alien appendage
Lucaine's energy whip
Magnorbs
Dragonhead Pistol
Supernova Gauntlet
Pollen Pump
oculus reaver

Pollen Pump apparently...
let's you kill the Moon Ghosts.

Right now, you need to narrow down if its the actual game that's preventing you from bookmarking the teleport to the outpost, or if your save is corrupted (specifically, your Player save).

Creating a new character means creating a new Player save. You're not deleting your original character. The purpose of creating a new character is to just to test if whatever bug you're encountering is just specific to your original character.

If everything works fine on the new character, then the unfortunate truth of the matter at that point is that your original character's Player save was probably corrupted. Does this mean all hope is lost? Not neccessarily, I do have an idea to fix it (it JUST popped into my head right now, did a quick check, and it seems like a feasible option), but I need you to confirm on your end exactly when the bug/issue kicks in.

so when I renamed the player folder with the appending BAK and created a new empty folder without it, when I opened the game both of my characters were gone.

Should I still follow through with making a new character? Sorry if this is a bit much this process is confusing.

HaRyu

Unconfirmed Member
so when I renamed the player folder with the appending BAK and created a new empty folder without it, when I opened the game both of my characters were gone.

Should I still follow through with making a new character? Sorry if this is a bit much this process is confusing.

Appending BAK to the folder name was just a way to make sure you dont accidentally delete the saves that you still may want to use later. Your stuff isnt gone, you're just using a completely new set of saves. When you're done with this test, you can delete the new folder you had made, then you remove the BAK from the original folder name that way it becomes your save folder again. (BAK is just a name... it could have been anything btw: BACKUP, BCKUP, FruitNuggets, KonamiSuksEggs, etc)

Anyway, yes, make a new character, test and see if the bug is still occuring.

Taffer

So the ark stays active now but I can't access the outpost unless I use an ark since its not appearing on my ship as an option still ;___;

Just to check are you bookmarking the teleporters at the outpost before beaming up? I had thought you got them automatically when you got to the outpost but had to re-discover them both when my bookmarks vanished a while back.

Just to check are you bookmarking the teleporters at the outpost before beaming up? I had thought you got them automatically when you got to the outpost but had to re-discover them both when my bookmarks vanished a while back.

I checked but when I save and exit then reenter the game, the bookmark is gone then I have to find an ark and give another 20 fragments to activate it then repeat the process.

HaRyu

Unconfirmed Member
I checked but when I save and exit then reenter the game, the bookmark is gone then I have to find an ark and give another 20 fragments to activate it then repeat the process.

Ehhhhhh... sounds like its something in the game itself? Since you're using a clean Storage folder, you wouldnt be using any corrupted saves, so even though you had verified the files, the game files are probably corrupted in some way? You're not using any sort of mod or anything, are you?

Ok, its time to just go nuclear. That BAK folder? Move it out of your Starbound folder (put it on your desktop)

Go into Steam (I assume this is the Steam version), and just uninstall the game. (Not telling you to give up, you're renstalling it). BEFORE YOU REINSTALL... go back to the Starbound folder, and just delete the entire thing (to take care of anything the uninstall didnt delete. YOUR SAVE IS SAFE, you put it on your Desktop, after all.

Now reinstall the game. DONT MOVE YOUR SAVE FILES BACK JUST YET. Go ahead and create a new character, once again, check to see if the bug is still happening. It theoretically should not, since you're pretty much running a clean install of Starbound.

Ehhhhhh... sounds like its something in the game itself? Since you're using a clean Storage folder, you wouldnt be using any corrupted saves, so even though you had verified the files, the game files are probably corrupted in some way? You're not using any sort of mod or anything, are you?

Ok, its time to just go nuclear. That BAK folder? Move it out of your Starbound folder (put it on your desktop)

Go into Steam (I assume this is the Steam version), and just uninstall the game. (Not telling you to give up, you're renstalling it). BEFORE YOU REINSTALL... go back to the Starbound folder, and just delete the entire thing (to take care of anything the uninstall didnt delete. YOUR SAVE IS SAFE, you put it on your Desktop, after all.

Now reinstall the game. DONT MOVE YOUR SAVE FILES BACK JUST YET. Go ahead and create a new character, once again, check to see if the bug is still happening. It theoretically should not, since you're pretty much running a clean install of Starbound.

Alright, this will take some time but I'll crank it out right now and post again once I see how it works out. @___@

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
So the ark stays active now but I can't access the outpost unless I use an ark since its not appearing on my ship as an option still ;___;

This happens to me when I make a character and start the main story quest on an MP server and then switch to single player.

In the single player my ship never seems to store the ark as a teleport location, but when I'm connected to the MP server it shows the location like normal.

My work around was that in single player I just went to the 2 stop teleshop and set the teleporter at that shop as a warp point, and it seems to store that one just fine.

I'm not looking forward to having this problem, then. My progress has been pretty slow, luckily. Maybe it'll be fixed by the time I start getting crewmates.

It fortuneately hasn't happened that often. Once when I was on the MP server when I only had like 2 crew so it was zero problem. And one day when I tp'd to a planet my entire crew came with me. And when I went back my entire crew stayed on the planet AND came back with me and the original crew was there too. This happened at least 2 more times before I gave up. I still have crew running around my base that aren't supposed to be there. I tried killing them off, some died and some are oddly immune to death.

The way I fixed it was to bring all the copies to a planet all at once, the copies would disappear when you hit planet side and only 1 would remain. I also tried dismissing everyone and it only dismisses 1 person, but the copies remain and when you talk to them they join the crew roster again. So that kinda helped thin the numbers for the most part.

lazygecko

Apparently raining fire on volcanic planets destroying NPC settlements counts as you trying to steal from them. Had an entire Glitch village start attacking me thanks to that.

Top Bottom