• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Starbound |OT| Boundless...

Costia

After reading all the No Man's Sky threads, I think Starbound is the game many wanted NMS to be.
I just got to this thread because i've read Jim's review.
I expected NMS to be a 3D, "AAA grade" version of starbound. But after reading the review it seem's like NMS is mostly an empty meaningless universe with a rather short and repetetive chores list.
Looks like I will be playing starbound soon. Are there many active players on the GAF server?

Fishing is exactly what this game needs. I hope they adjust hunger a bit because it would be a shame to need 15 steaks or food just to sit there and fish for a bit. There shouldn't be hunger while fishing and or just being on your ship tbh. What to you guys think?

I think I dodged a bullet by selecting Casual mode. :D

Wasn't the plan a different intro (at least) for each race? And because of... reasons (?) everyone got the human starting story (and SAIL)?

Oh, that's right. The intro would have been nice, but might have been hard to tie to the rest of the story quests, and I'm guessing coming up with whole entire different stories for each race was not realistic. If it was just the intro it wouldn't matter for the 99.9% which is the rest of the game anyway (unlike ships).
The thing with the SAILs is puzzling, I don't know why they took the different visuals for them. Anyone know?

After reading all the No Man's Sky threads, I think Starbound is the game many wanted NMS to be.

You wouldn't believe how many times I've had to figuratively bite my tongue not to compare the two in NMS's threads. I understand 2D pixel art hasn't as many fans as 3d FPS, but I've been thinking this very thought since the first signs of NMS's not being able to live up to the hype (which, frankly, were there at least a year back). In fact I wonder if my utter apathy towards NMS in general comes simply from the knowledge that Starbound already gives me all that NMS promises, and more.

rauelius

Hi, I play my games across multiple machines and have been stupefied by the amount of modern games that Don't support cloud-save on Steam.

I got Starbound and thought that it would cloud-save so I can play on the go on my Laptop, at my home office or on my media-pc. However it has no official cloud-save support.

I figured I could create a Symbolic Link in windows to my Dropbox folder on my Home Server to give myself "Cloud Save" in this game. Well it works wonderfully.

I've done this for AssCreed Brotherhood, Battleborn, GTAV(single-player) and Starbound and it's been wonderful. Below I'll paste the notes I made as well as a couple examples.

This has helped me tremendously and I hope it helps others as well.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Step One: First find where the Game is normally Saved

Step Two: Then Find which folder in Dropbox you want the game saved to

Step Three: Open Up Command Prompt as Administrator

Step Four: Remove the (ORIGINAL LOCATION) from below and copy/paste the file path for the normal save location

Step Five: Remove the (DROPBOX LOCATION) from below and copy/paste with the file path for the dropbox location

Step Six: Delete the Original Save Folder

Step Six: Copy what you made below and paste it into Command Prompt running as Administrator, Hit Enter.

Step Seven: A Symbolic Link has been created and now all saves will go to the Dropbox folder

*********COPY AND PASTE LOCATION **********************
mklink /D "(ORIGINAL LOCATION)" "(DROPBOX LOCATION)"
*********COPY AND PASTE LOCATION **********************

Below are examples I've done

mklink /D "D:\Steam\steamapps\common\Starbound\storage" "\NEW-EDEN\Personal Network Storage\Yahweh\Dropbox\Game Saves\Starbound\storage"

mklink /D "C:\Users\Yahweh\Saved Games\Assassin's Creed Brotherhood" "\NEW-EDEN\Yahweh\Dropbox\Game Saves\Assassins Creed - Brotherhood"

mklink /D "C:\Users\Yahweh\Documents\My Games\Battleborn" "C:\Users\Yahweh\Dropbox\Game Saves\Battleborn"

As a human being in the real world, I could get away with eating one steak in 24 hours and being able to survive just fine.

In this game, if you don't completely fill your stomach every 25 minutes, you die. That's like 3 or 4 steaks.

In real life, you can live for days without eating, if not, longer.

During Jim Sterlng's jimquisition on survival games, and I like survival elements, all I could think about was Starbound and how shitty it is that you have to eat constantly. You don't get a moment to rest. If you spend 10 minutes building a house, you better watch your hunger, because you might die from it.

I want to have to eat to survive, but this is ridiculous.

Can't believe after years of early access, they've decided on this. What have they said about complaints in the past?

dLMN8R

How do people ordinarily handle hunger? Now I'm finally ready to leave my starting planet for the first time to scan for Floran items to get the first artifact, but I'm not sure what kind of food to bring with me vs. what kind of food I should just try to harvest along the way to new planets.

Grinchy

Banned
As a human being in the real world, I could get away with eating one steak in 24 hours and being able to survive just fine.

In this game, if you don't completely fill your stomach every 25 minutes, you die. That's like 3 or 4 steaks.

In real life, you can live for days without eating, if not, longer.

During Jim Sterlng's jimquisition on survival games, and I like survival elements, all I could think about was Starbound and how shitty it is that you have to eat constantly. You don't get a moment to rest. If you spend 10 minutes building a house, you better watch your hunger, because you might die from it.

I want to have to eat to survive, but this is ridiculous.

Can't believe after years of early access, they've decided on this. What have they said about complaints in the past?

Might as well just play the casual mode so you don't have to deal with food.

I always liked the hunger mechanic in Minecraft, but I have no desire to deal with it in this game.

Might as well just play the casual mode so you don't have to deal with food.

I always liked the hunger mechanic in Minecraft, but I have no desire to deal with it in this game.

I've considered it, but i don't want to throw out the entire food concept.

If only food restored health instead, or when starving, you simply moved slower or stats decrease a bit or something.

Maybe I should just make a list. Here are some alternatives I think would be better.

1) retains good system as is, except fullness meter drops at a slower rate, like twice as slow would be fine, and perhaps food rots at a slower rate.

2) when starving, there is death, but you have to remain in starving state for at least a minute longer than it is now, also, food restores more fullness

3) when starving, there is no death, but a loss of energy bar / stamina, or decreased stats, or speed

4) food restored health and/or temporarily boosts stats. Hunger bar not needed

But if they just slowed it down, it'd be acceptable.. I do like the idea of it.. It's way too demanding as is, and is a prime example of Having survival elements that detract from fun rather than support it, imo.

As you advance in the game, hunger is pretty easy to satisfy. Even early on, using a hunting tool to get a higher meat drop rate and then cooking it fills food pretty well. Then once you get the kitchen table, farming is very effective.

Or, if you don't want to deal with all that, just buy canned food at the outpost. It's cheap, fills pretty much the whole bar, and doesn't spoil.

Aselith

I like Starbound but if NMS had as little variety as Starbound, people would have burned the Hello Games office down. I mean it has a solid amount of variety but the creatures start repeating pretty quickly.

I like Starbound but if NMS had as little variety as Starbound, people would have burned the Hello Games office down. I mean it has a solid amount of variety but the creatures start repeating pretty quickly.

Starbound once had randomly generated creatures from assorted body types, body parts and colors that virtually would never repeat. They ended up scrapping that (or maybe it still remains for some surface creatures?) because it lead to a lot of somewhat different looking creatures than behaved in similar ways; I think it's a marked improvement. I very much doubt that No Man's Sky creatures will all behave in very different ways.

Having set creatures allows to have set, specific behaviours that, quite crucially in terms of gameplay, you can learn, anticipate and counter. If every creature you encounter is basically random, that means you treat every creature the same way: the way most likely to succeed given what you've learned from the collective pool of random behaviours.

In turn, this means that creatures can't be particularly hard to beat; their behaviour can't be so menacing that they can kill you if you don't know what they do... because you don't. Having specific creatures allows the game to have harder enemies that demand more from you.

Retro

There's still randomly generated creatures in Starbound, but there's also a set of 'static' creatures as well. I'm not sure if you see them less and less as you leave the lush planets, but I believe it was intended so you'd never run up against super hard generated enemies right away.

clo1_2000

Banned
There's still randomly generated creatures in Starbound, but there's also a set of 'static' creatures as well. I'm not sure if you see them less and less as you leave the lush planets, but I believe it was intended so you'd never run up against super hard generated enemies right away.

Hey Retro, I've never even touched this game, but it intrigues me. How difficult would it be for a complete noob? Also, how do I get info on the GAF server?

Retro

Hey Retro, I've never even touched this game, but it intrigues me. How difficult would it be for a complete noob? Also, how do I get info on the GAF server?

Not too bad, the game has tutorials to teach you the basics like using your tool and such. I would strongly suggest you play on Casual mode, or the hunger / death penalty is going to drive you insane. Anything else you come across, folks here in the OT can definitely answer.

GAF server info is in the OT, hidden in e-mail tags. Quote my post to see the information, it'll be right at the top.

clo1_2000

Banned
Not too bad, the game has tutorials to teach you the basics like using your tool and such. I would strongly suggest you play on Casual mode, or the hunger / death penalty is going to drive you insane. Anything else you come across, folks here in the OT can definitely answer.

GAF server info is in the OT, hidden in e-mail tags. Quote my post to see the information, it'll be right at the top.

Thank you kindly!

dLMN8R

How do people ordinarily handle hunger? Now I'm finally ready to leave my starting planet for the first time to scan for Floran items to get the first artifact, but I'm not sure what kind of food to bring with me vs. what kind of food I should just try to harvest along the way to new planets.

Anyone? Just curious about how you all handled hunger in your first few hours.

Retro

Honestly? I played with hunger on before 1.0 came out via the Unstable build and went "Hmm.. nope" and haven't dealt with it since. It seems seriously over-tuned and punishing.

cyress8

Banned

Get a hunger mod that extends the time before you die of hunger and also the mod to allow you to stack food. I can actually cook some of the more exotic foods thanks to the ability to actually stack food and refrigerate it.

VandalD

Dealt with it in beta. Didn't mind it disappearing for a while. I gave it another shot in the unstable build just before 1.0's release and found I didn't care for it. What I ended up doing was selling my farmables and going to the store on the outpost to buy canned food that doesn't spoil and restores a huge amount of the bar. Now I just sell my farmables. I tend to just leave Starbound running sometimes while doing a mix of things, and I don't like having to maintain that bar.

Costia

Just died, all of the ores were dropped.
I don't see any death location indicator.
Actually, i don't see any kind of map at all.
Are there planet maps in starbound?

Dealing with hunger, as I just said a few posts before, is pretty easy. But this is how I did it early on in the game (before making a farm or having enough pixels to just buy food).

Craft bow. Use bow to kill birds and other animals. They drop raw meats. Cook raw meats. Store surplus in fridge (you can craft a mini-fridge right off the bat, but I found a bigger one). I also bought some canned food, as just in case type of food because it doesn't spoil (I've never seen 1 spoil at least). There are also some foods that don't spoil. These are general not edible before you cook, such as mushrooms, wheat, sugar, and cocoa beans.

The other thing to do, assuming your on survival, is just manage your inventory well by only taking some of your food in case you die. Always have surplus just in case you die and you can't get your stuff back. And always take a bow because if you're on a long run, you might need to replenish your stocks. This also means taking a campire so you can cook on the go.

Also, it doesn't have to be a bow. You could use hunting spears, they seem to have the same usage and sprears hit harder (but are consumed).

Hope this helps.

dLMN8R

Dealing with hunger, as I just said a few posts before, is pretty easy. But this is how I did it early on in the game (before making a farm or having enough pixels to just buy food).

Craft bow. Use bow to kill birds and other animals. They drop raw meats. Cook raw meats. Store surplus in fridge (you can craft a mini-fridge right off the bat, but I found a bigger one). I also bought some canned food, as just in case type of food because it doesn't spoil (I've never seen 1 spoil at least). There are also some foods that don't spoil. These are general not edible before you cook, such as mushrooms, wheat, sugar, and cocoa beans.

The other thing to do, assuming your on survival, is just manage your inventory well by only taking some of your food in case you die. Always have surplus just in case you die and you can't get your stuff back. And always take a bow because if you're on a long run, you might need to replenish your stocks. This also means taking a campire so you can cook on the go.

Also, it doesn't have to be a bow. You could use hunting spears, they seem to have the same usage and sprears hit harder (but are consumed).

Hope this helps.
This is exactly what I was looking for. Thanks!

I know I can disable or modify hunger using mods or starting on Casual, but I wanted to stick to vanilla Starbound for a while before I start modifying it.

Retro

Just died, all of the ores were dropped.
I don't see any death location indicator.
Actually, i don't see any kind of map at all.
Are there planet maps in starbound?

No, unfortunately. A good rule of thumb early on is to leave torches to find your way back, until you unlock the paint mode on your Manipulator. Then you can leave arrows for yourself.

Vex_

Banned
No, unfortunately. A good rule of thumb early on is to leave torches to find your way back, until you unlock the paint mode on your Manipulator. Then you can leave arrows for yourself.

Ohohoohho. Good idea, retro. I never even thought to do that. I was all "well I'm not gonna use this for anything, no point in me going after the upgrade for now..." Not a fan of decorating things. But I guess now I have a reason to go after the mm upgrade.

Retro

Ohohoohho. Good idea, retro. I never even thought to do that. I was all "well I'm not gonna use this for anything, no point in me going after the upgrade for now..." Not a fan of decorating things. But I guess now I have a reason to go after the mm upgrade.

Luckily, everything in the Expansion Slot tree takes 3 modules each; it doesn't require double the modules for each step like the other upgrade trees do. I maxed that out right away so I could mark my routes (and, you know... spruce my place up).

dLMN8R

LOL FUCK ME

I had a really shitty run where I dug for an hour and ended up losing all my shit due to dying. I figured I'd revert to an old save I backed up the other day.

OOPS backup was from two days ago, not one day ago. LOL

It's a much easier game early on than the likes of Terraria and Minecraft, especially if you play on casual, which I 100% recommend (it only removes the rather unpopular hunger mechanic and reduces loss of pixels on death). Starting planets are very safe, with nothing that can destroy anything you build, and if you take your time properly upgrading your gear, later planets and dungeons are very manageable.

The learning curve and tutorials are very well balanced too. For as many (many) systems the game has, you never feel lost or overwhelmed. You can progress in many different ways as well, allowing you to focus on what you like and ignoring the rest.

LOL FUCK ME

I had a really shitty run where I dug for an hour and ended up losing all my shit due to dying. I figured I'd revert to an old save I backed up the other day.

OOPS backup was from two days ago, not one day ago. LOL

Don't take this the wrong way, but I'll never, ever understand people that purposely pick a harder mode with harsher death penalties, then savescum.

dLMN8R

Don't take this the wrong way, but I'll never, ever understand people that purposely pick a harder mode with harsher death penalties, then savescum.

Sometimes understanding the intentions of other players requires accepting that nuance exists and nothing is black and white?

I'm happy playing Survival. I've died a few times and lost some stuff, and have accepted that. I'm OK with how hunger works now that I know how to manage it. I'm glad that I need to put some things at risk when deciding to explore deep cavernous areas. It makes things more fun for me.

But, yesterday I made a mistake of exploring for well over an hour without placing any teleportation flags anywhere, being careless, and just not realizing what I was getting myself into. I lost absolutely everything I'd been collecting for over an hour, because it would've taken me roughly the same amount of time to get back to where I died, and then I probably would've died again.

Call it "save scumming" if you want, I guess, but my intention was not to go back to where I was shortly before I died. I simply wanted to re-do that hour+ of exploration instead of ending up in a position far worse from where I started from.

I'm not mad at the game, just laughing at myself. I'm still happier losing two days of progress because of how catastrophic that death was last night.

HaRyu

Unconfirmed Member
Is there some kind of a central planet on the gaf server?

Yes.
Although TBH, no idea what the coordinates are. Even though I'm running the server, I'm not really setting foot on it until I finish SP (yes I havent finished SP yet, I did warn a few weeks back that Monster Hunter, Destiny, and NMS would probably affect my progress)

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
I'm honestly worried Starbound spoiled me for No Mans Sky.

There's just so much to do in this game.

I'll be honest, I'm skipping NMS for now. I'm actively playing quite a few games like Starbound, Elite Dangerous, Minecraft, Diablo III, and Heroes of the Storm, and like always Flight Simulator X. I was looking forward to NMS for a long time now, but this whole multiplayer controversy and the obtuse and vague way Hello Games has handled it, yeah I've decided to not buy it right now. If they come out and clarify the situation respectfully to their customers then I'll reconsider, but for now I just don't want to give them my hard earned money.

Starbound is scratching that space exploration itch just fine for me now, so thanks Chucklefish, you just saved me $60!!!!

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
T8aF4Qd.jpg

Well I think I finished my ship, I am quite happy with how it turned out.

But I think I am going to redo the captains quarters a bit.

Call it "save scumming" if you want, I guess, but my intention was not to go back to where I was shortly before I died. I simply wanted to re-do that hour+ of exploration instead of ending up in a position far worse from where I started from.

That's... the very definition of save scumming. :D You actively wanted to play a difficulty mode with fixed consequences for your bad choices, then when you made a bad choice, you wanted to skip the consequences. You should at least understand why that doesn't seem rational to somebody else, right?

dLMN8R

That's... the very definition of save scumming. :D You actively wanted to play a difficulty mode with fixed consequences for your bad choices, then when you made a bad choice, you wanted to skip the consequences. You should at least understand why that doesn't seem rational to somebody else, right?

Sure, I understand why you think it's irrational, but I never pretended that my thought process was rational anyway.

Some people choose to play with mods to change their game experience, others want to play as true to the developer's intended experience as possible but, like me, still have a backup in case of absurdly catastrophic circumstances.

I'm not trying to say you're wrong, I'm just confused why you're basically trying to tell me I'm playing the wrong way.

Sure, I understand why you think it's irrational, but I never pretended that my thought process was rational anyway.

Some people choose to play with mods to change their game experience, others want to play as true to the developer's intended experience as possible but, like me, still have a backup in case of absurdly catastrophic circumstances.

I'm not trying to say you're wrong, I'm just confused why you're basically trying to tell me I'm playing the wrong way.

I never did. I said I didn't understand why anyone would. :)

Dunfisch

Is there much point building a load of stuff on the starting planet or will I be leaving soon?

The thing is you can make and place (nameable) flags as well buy and place (also nameable) teleporters. The former are a one way beacon, you can warp to them via any teleporter, but not directly back again (need to warp back to ship and use the teleporter there to go elsewhere). Dedicated teleporters go both ways. In this sense, you can quite handily build your home on your starting planet, since you can warp back to it from your ship (regardless of where you are) once you place a flag.

Without a flag or teleporter, you'll have to actually fly with your ship.

The biggest reason to not build on the starting planet is it you want a different ambience / biome. Otherwise just go ahead.

Retro

No Man's Sky stuff
For what it's worth, I'm holding off on NMS as well. The building element is a bigger factor to me so I'll stick with Starbound for the time being. Let everyone else find the bugs, sort out the overhype, and wait for the price to come down.

Yes.
Although TBH, no idea what the coordinates are.

I'm an idiot and always forget to write them down.

For the record, GAF Planet is at x1073, y1084: Celestal Grasp V. Server info can be found by quoting the OT, the address / login info appears at the top in email tags.

Is there much point building a load of stuff on the starting planet or will I be leaving soon?

I look at it this way; it's super cheap to plant a flag (20 woven cloth, 1 copper bar) and add a bookmark to any planet, so there's no problem with building on a starting planet, or any other planet, and coming back later. I built a base on the second planet I went to, and even if I only use it as a small farm / warehouse, it's not hurting anything by existing. It'd take longer to tear it all down and sort out the storage again anyways.

We're really happy you guys are enjoying the game so much :)

Right now we're working very hard on a bunch of improvements, features and content.

Yeah, I think we're getting out of the "growing pains" phase and everyone is getting into a groove. I'm eager to see what's next now that you guys have built the engine and can start churning out content / extras. I seem to recall a while ago that after SB was finished, a second team would be coming in to support the game; has that transition happened or is the main SB team still in bug / support mode? Is that even still the plan? Just curious.

Also, any news on mods that you guys might want to make permanent? It seemed like that was something you guys were interested in doing so long as it was legally do-able, but were putting off until the game was feature complete. There's a lot of really cool vehicle mods and such that I'd love to see built into the game, and while I don't know how much it would affect balance, it'd be interesting to see something as expansive as FrackinUniverse become an official part of the game.

The biggest reason to not build on the starting planet is it you want a different ambience / biome. Otherwise just go ahead.

I actually like the starting planets, simply because there's no inclement weather beyond rain. The snow collecting on tiles, even in places it makes no sense (forest planets all seem rather temperate), is kind of annoying, and I won't even start on sandstorms.

Right now we're working very hard on a bunch of improvements, features and content.

Oh wowee, devs in the chat!

I was skeptical about it, and while I think hunger needs some revision, the game is well beyond what I expected. Thanks for a great game! I'll be playing for a long time to come.

Vex_

Banned

I know it is probably really, REALLY, REALLY LOW on your features priority list for starbound, but just don't forget about us controller users. Pretty please with a cherry on top?

Supernorn

Chucklefish (Starbound)
I'm eager to see what's next now that you guys have built the engine and can start churning out content / extras. I seem to recall a while ago that after SB was finished, a second team would be coming in to support the game; has that transition happened or is the main SB team still in bug / support mode? Is that even still the plan? Just curious.

Right now there is a small team of people in the office assigned to Starbound, and they've been very busy! the first big content update is well underway. The rest of the office has moved on to a new project, so that's really exciting for us. We're a small team (16 people) but it seems to be going well so far!

Also, any news on mods that you guys might want to make permanent? It seemed like that was something you guys were interested in doing so long as it was legally do-able, but were putting off until the game was feature complete. There's a lot of really cool vehicle mods and such that I'd love to see built into the game, and while I don't know how much it would affect balance, it'd be interesting to see something as expansive as FrackinUniverse become an official part of the game.

So with modding we've gone about it in a bunch of different ways during development of Starbound. We've implemented a number of mods in the past and we've gone so far as to hire modders, and bring them on to the development team. But what tends to happen eventually is that we end up rewriting the mod from scratch because it doesn't gel with any of our code or is written in an inefficient way.

So while there are a bunch of mods that we like, and there are some really good ones! it's usually a lot easier for us in the long run to just implement the idea/improvement by writing it from scratch.

I know it is probably really, REALLY, REALLY LOW on your features priority list for starbound, but just don't forget about us controller users. Pretty please with a cherry on top?

So with controller support, that might be a little far off but we do think it's important. As you guys know we're making good progress with Starbound on Xbox One, and that will require a lot of reworking of the interface and demands a lot of attention paid to controller support.

Our plan is to eventually bring all of that back over to the PC version at some point in the future. I don't say that as a promise (and it might not work out for some unforeseen reason), but that's what we'd like to do.

Since the devs are here paying attention, you should check out the way Divinity Original Sin: Enhanced Edition (specifically) handles loot with multiple containers in the vicinity, that method could REALLY streamline Starbounds loot/inventory management while exploring.

Basically, you hold down the action key (rather than press it) and it will show one single window with all the containers inventory pulled in. Within that window, you can filter to look at any single container.

So for a stack of crates in the gameworld, you would be able to loot all at once rather than click in/out of each one.

Since the devs are here paying attention, you should check out the way Divinity Original Sin: Enhanced Edition (specifically) handles loot with multiple containers in the vicinity, that method could REALLY streamline Starbounds loot/inventory management while exploring.

Basically, you hold down the action key (rather than press it) and it will show one single window with all the containers inventory pulled in. Within that window, you can filter to look at any single container.

So for a stack of crates in the gameworld, you would be able to loot all at once rather than click in/out of each one.

I never knew that about DOS:EE... mm

Costia

A very light touch on the jump button. You'll keep going through platforms for as long as you hold it.
Actually, from a bit of testing looks like the spacebar button doesn't matter. Once you tap it, you go down all the platforms. Looks like the down button is what determines how far you go.
So it's very awkward. I need to hold the down button, then tap the space bar, and then very quickly let go of the down button, because otherwise RIP.
And if i let go of the down button too soon I jump instead of going down.
What you described is how i expected it to be, but looks like it doesn't work that way.

Top Bottom