• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Starbound |OT| Boundless...

HaRyu

Unconfirmed Member
Any chance that Starbound gets proper Steam Cloud Save support in the future?

I dont think it would be feasible? Steam supposedly only allows cloud saves up to 1GB (per game), and Starbound save sizes can vary wildly, since it pretty much boils down to how much of the universe you've explored and how much "building" you've done on any particular planet. On my computer, my Starbound save size is only about 81MB, while the server save size (at the moment) is a little over 700MB.

dLMN8R

I dont think it would be feasible? Steam supposedly only allows cloud saves up to 1GB (per game), and Starbound save sizes can vary wildly, since it pretty much boils down to how much of the universe you've explored and how much "building" you've done on any particular planet. On my computer, my Starbound save size is only about 81MB, while the server save size (at the moment) is a little over 700MB.

Oh wow, didn't realize how huge they get. That's a good point.

I'll just set up some directory junctions with OneDrive then.

Niel

Just bought the game today and I am enjoying it a lot so far, but I can't seem to find enough Floran items to scan to complete the quest. I found a Floran settlement but it didn't have enough stuff to scan... any tips?

sqwarlock

Just bought the game today and I am enjoying it a lot so far, but I can't seem to find enough Floran items to scan to complete the quest. I found a Floran settlement but it didn't have enough stuff to scan... any tips?

Make sure you talk to the residents as some of them may contribute to the quest. If that's still not enough, well you'll just have to find another settlement.

Niel

Make sure you talk to the residents as some of them may contribute to the quest. If that's still not enough, well you'll just have to find another settlement.

Thanks for the quick reply. The thing is, there was only one guy in there. Guess I'll need to find more fuel to explore other forest planets.

Actually, from a bit of testing looks like the spacebar button doesn't matter. Once you tap it, you go down all the platforms. Looks like the down button is what determines how far you go.
So it's very awkward. I need to hold the down button, then tap the space bar, and then very quickly let go of the down button, because otherwise RIP.
And if i let go of the down button too soon I jump instead of going down.
What you described is how i expected it to be, but looks like it doesn't work that way.

Yeah, I've been waiting literally for years for the devs to change it; I've lost count of the times I've died due to it, it makes absolutely no sense. I can think of at least four ways that would be better than it is now, in order of preference:
1) How everyone thinks it works at first: Hold down, hold jump to go down platforms until you let go of jump. This is infinitely more natural than hold down, hold jump, let go of down (how it is now).
2) The standard way 90% games do it: hold down, press jump, it hops you down a single platform. To hop more platforms, keep down and press jump more times. Considering how fall damage works in Starbound, this might make even more sense than the above: you would actually want to land on each platform instead of skip several of them and incur fall damage.
3) The Rogue Legacy (alternate) / Kirby / Smash Bros way: tap down to go down a platform; hold down to go down more. This would mean no crouching on platforms, but considering how little use there is for crouching anyway I doubt many tears would be shed.
4) The modified Smash Bros way (adaptation without analog sticks): Hold down to crouch; tap down to go down one platform; tap, then hold to go down multiple platforms. This tends to end up being annoying if the game can't consistently differentiate between the two.

If we could get any word why this is still working in such an awkward way and if there's any plan to change it, it would be great. This may be my only gripe with all of Starbound besides controller support (which obviously is a much, much more involved development).

Vex_

Banned
I'm so glad more people are talking about the "platform fall button combination" in this game. I was gonna bring it up, but was afraid me not being adept with m/kB was to blame for it. I thought if I brought it up, people would've just laughed at me and told me to git guder.

Good to know I'm not the only one that does from this c':

Yeah, I can't imagine a lot of people loving the current drop combination. It's just that most people aren't used to review and find flaws with everything they play.

While we're at that, can we get a sort button for containers? It's such a pain to sort them by hand, especially larger ones. I found a mod that does add that, but it's with a lot of other stuff I don't really need like increase storage for all containers and such. I want to keep Starbound as vanilla as possible.

sqwarlock

Yeah, I can't imagine a lot of people loving the current drop combination. It's just that most people aren't used to review and find flaws with everything they play.

While we're at that, can we get a sort button for containers? It's such a pain to sort them by hand, especially larger ones. I found a mod that does add that, but it's with a lot of other stuff I don't really need like increase storage for all containers and such. I want to keep Starbound as vanilla as possible.

Not sure what mod got, but check out Improved Containers. It's as close to vanilla as you can get, while still getting sorting and quick stacks.

Oh my god you guys. I just discovered this game and watched the launch trailer. I thought this was some kind of space MMO or something so I never gave it a look!

Ive been debating getting Terraria as I wanted to find that peace and awe of playing Minecraft... since Terraria seemed to have more meaningful content (Minecraft ultimately felt shallow). Bosses, quests, etc. all while you still build a home, and that kind of stuff.

Then I see this game and now I have so many questions. I LOVE the art style.

But what kind of game is this? There seems to be some kind of story, and the combat looks pretty good too. And that just melts my brain, because I really wanted a game where you play like Minecraft-- mining for material, making new stuff, and building things like a home and raising animals and food, and decorating your home

But NPCs, story, and all that other stuff sounds so fleshed out and fully realized.

Can someone kind of clarify this game for me compared to MC and Terraria?

I imagine Terraria and Minecraft are much more feature rich since theyve been out longer (more blocks to mine, more building materials), but what about this apparent adventure?

Edit: aww, I thought this was out on PS4. Coming soon, I hope

Retro

But what kind of game is this? There seems to be some kind of story, and the combat looks pretty good too. And that just melts my brain, because I really wanted a game where you play like Minecraft-- mining for material, making new stuff, and building things like a home and raising animals and food, and decorating your home

But NPCs, story, and all that other stuff sounds so fleshed out and fully realized.

Can someone kind of clarify this game for me compared to MC and Terraria?

To keep it short, Starbound is basically Terraria + a shitload more. The only thing Terraria has over Starbound, in my opinion, is that it's been out longer so there's more breadth of content (but not necessarily depth) and it has a clearer progression scheme (kill boss > get stronger > repeat).

To keep it short, Starbound is basically Terraria + a shitload more. The only thing Terraria has over Starbound, in my opinion, is that it's been out longer so there's more breadth of content (but not necessarily depth) and it has a clearer progression scheme (kill boss > get stronger > repeat).

Can you tell me what this shit load is?

Really, I was mesmerized with Miencraft (console) until I realized it was really barebones in the building structure, and focused more on creatively making things. Once I got diamonds and entered the enderworld, it felt like I saw it all.

The one thing I love in the game is just building a home, decorating, taking care of a farm/animals, and growing it. But even that felt shallow.

I wanted Terraria because it seemed to expand on this stuff, while having NPCs and bosses.

but this starbound game seems even crazier with storylines, and dialogue, and the graphics are so gorgeous. Does it have a solid building/farming/decorating/adventuring component? Is the storyline particularly deep or special, or what?

If you choose to ignore it, what can you do in the game besides build things and dig for better things? How deep is the crafting, discovering, etc?

Sorry for all the questions, it's strangely hard to find reviews for this game and comparisons

And correct me if Im wrong, but it seems the console version has been on hiatus? Last info I see is a ps4 trailer from 2015

Retro

Can you tell me what this shit load is?

• Farming (Terraria has crops you can plant, but no livestock, and the crops are fairly limited)
  • Colonies (Terraria has static NPCs that move in and sell you stuff, whereas SB has procedurally generated colonists who pay rent, offer quests and interact with eachother)
  • Exploration (Terraria has a single planet with a handful of standard biomes and static creatures; SB has literally quadrillions of planets with unique biomes, monsters, mini-dungeons, sub-biomes, trees, etc.)
  • Combat (Terraria has prefab weapons, Starbound has randomly generated ones so there's a lot of variety to combat. I feel like Starbound has a better sense of movement and enemy variety as well).
  • Quests (Terraria has none, Starbound has a main storyline with away missions as well as randomly generated quests from NPCs)
  • Building (Terraria has kind of a niche aesthetic, whereas Starbound has a bunch of different racially themed blocks and furniture. Not to mention the Matter Manipulator in SB is lightyears more enjoyable to build with, has a paint and wire mode... it's just more fun to build in SB and I've done a LOT in both games).
I'm sure I'm forgetting a few things too.

Does it have a solid building/farming/decorating/adventuring component?

You tell me. Here's a bunch of stuff I built before the game launched, officially. You might want to open them in a new tab, they're kinda big.

n7UVjki.jpg

1rQK8Cz.jpg

p83SXWN.jpg

4rTK2CI.jpg

VYl1fxr.jpg

ZOvdybU.jpg

Is the storyline particularly deep or special, or what?

It's kind of there to provide you with a storyline if you want one, and give context to the universe and your place in it. You can ignore it if you want, just like you can ignore the farming aspect if you'd rather hunt for food via combat, or ignore colonies if you're all about exploration, or ignore exploration if you'd rather stay on a planet and build. I haven't completed it myself because I got distracted building a warehouse and the little station on the GAF server.

If you choose to ignore it, what can you do in the game besides build things and dig for better things? How deep is the crafting, discovering, etc?

Building stuff and digging for better things is pretty much the core of the game, as it is in Minecraft / Terraria. Farming and colony building are part of the 'building' aspect, and running around exploring planets is part of the 'farming' aspect. Fishing is coming in a future update. While digging you'll often find "Challenge Doors" that lead to little platforming / combat challenges that are kind of fun. It's pretty standard for a sandbox game, really, they just do everything really well and give you a lot of depth to play in.

Crafting is pretty standard; step up to a crafting station, pick what you want from the list, and if you have the materials, make it. You can come across blueprints for stuff to expand what items you can make, and you'll also unlock some recipes just by finding stuff as you go. Additionally, you can scan decorative items and then 3-D print them using pixels (the game's currency).

And correct me if Im wrong, but it seems the console version has been on hiatus? Last info I see is a ps4 trailer from 2015

They were waiting to get the game to 1.0 status before working on a console version. Now that that's done, I imagine that's one of the things on their plate.

Purkake4

Banned
was terraria released on GoG too? Cant remember and I bought that on ps3. I imagine a lot people got SB on GoG because there is no drm?
They're both on GOG and Terraria is pretty much on every platform known to man at this point. Just trying to compare the long legs of both games, Terraria was released 5+ years ago.

Costia

You tell me. Here's a bunch of stuff I built before the game launched, officially. You might want to open them in a new tab, they're kinda big.

Did you have to hold shift the whole time?
Looks like it builds in 2x2 mode by default. Any way to change that?

Edit: also, are there other fuels besides the pink moon stuff?
Edit2: is there a hotkey for healing items?

Not sure what mod got, but check out Improved Containers. It's as close to vanilla as you can get, while still getting sorting and quick stacks.

It does have a few things that feel like "cheating", like being able to pick containers with all their items still inside. It can be very easily used to trivialize inventory space. No doubt it will make moving containers around in one's bases much easier, though.

The "fill stacks" functionality sounds awesome, though. I really wish there was a way to turn off individual functionality. Perhaps there is? I guess I'll try the addon, thanks a lot!

I haven't played Terraria for more than an hour or two, but for me the hugest difference is the variety of planets, moons, biomes, etc. Ocean planets, forest planets, desert planets, moons, mutant planets... each with their own biomes and zones and such. Having your own upgradeable spaceship with crew is awesome too.

Does Terraria have musical instruments?

• Farming (Terraria has crops you can plant, but no livestock, and the crops are fairly limited)
  • Colonies (Terraria has static NPCs that move in and sell you stuff, whereas SB has procedurally generated colonists who pay rent, offer quests and interact with eachother)
  • Exploration (Terraria has a single planet with a handful of standard biomes and static creatures; SB has literally quadrillions of planets with unique biomes, monsters, mini-dungeons, sub-biomes, trees, etc.)
  • Combat (Terraria has prefab weapons, Starbound has randomly generated ones so there's a lot of variety to combat. I feel like Starbound has a better sense of movement and enemy variety as well).
  • Quests (Terraria has none, Starbound has a main storyline with away missions as well as randomly generated quests from NPCs)
  • Building (Terraria has kind of a niche aesthetic, whereas Starbound has a bunch of different racially themed blocks and furniture. Not to mention the Matter Manipulator in SB is lightyears more enjoyable to build with, has a paint and wire mode... it's just more fun to build in SB and I've done a LOT in both games).

It's kind of there to provide you with a storyline if you want one, and give context to the universe and your place in it. You can ignore it if you want, just like you can ignore the farming aspect if you'd rather hunt for food via combat, or ignore colonies if you're all about exploration, or ignore exploration if you'd rather stay on a planet and build. I haven't completed it myself because I got distracted building a warehouse and the little station on the GAF server.

Building stuff and digging for better things is pretty much the core of the game, as it is in Minecraft / Terraria. Farming and colony building are part of the 'building' aspect, and running around exploring planets is part of the 'farming' aspect. Fishing is coming in a future update. While digging you'll often find "Challenge Doors" that lead to little platforming / combat challenges that are kind of fun. It's pretty standard for a sandbox game, really, they just do everything really well and give you a lot of depth to play in.

Crafting is pretty standard; step up to a crafting station, pick what you want from the list, and if you have the materials, make it. You can come across blueprints for stuff to expand what items you can make, and you'll also unlock some recipes just by finding stuff as you go. Additionally, you can scan decorative items and then 3-D print them using pixels (the game's currency).

They were waiting to get the game to 1.0 status before working on a console version. Now that that's done, I imagine that's one of the things on their plate.

Thanks so much

Farming sounds really cool, and Im going to check iut more buildings to see what people are making

Nice pics!

Retro

Did you have to hold shift the whole time?
Looks like it builds in 2x2 mode by default. Any way to change that?

Edit: also, are there other fuels besides the pink moon stuff?
Edit2: is there a hotkey for healing items?

No, just for the detailed stuff.
Nope.
Not that I'm aware of, but I haven't played the full game yet.
Not by default, but I like to use one of my action bar slots for emergencies; a shield and a healing item.

Does Terraria have musical instruments?

Not that I'm aware of, unless it was recently added. I tried to go back to it while waiting for Starbound and it was just too clunky for my tastes.

Thanks so much

Farming sounds really cool, and Im going to check iut more buildings to see what people are making

Nice pics!

Thanks. I haven't dug too deep into farming beyond planting a few cotton seeds for armor upgrades, but I do know there's chickens and big "fluffalos" you can raise to have different elemental alignments or some-such.

Costia

Is the server dead? Can't connect.
And it's quite strange. I went to the outpost on my single player world and all the shops are closed.
Searched for a bit and found someone saying i will need to talk to Esther and do the first quests again, but i already have a quest from her, so she won't give me the firsts quests that open the shops.
So i am basically stuck without any shops in my single player world.

HaRyu

Unconfirmed Member
And it's quite strange. I went to the outpost on my single player world and all the shops are closed.
Searched for a bit and found someone saying i will need to talk to Esther and do the first quests again, but i already have a quest from her, so she won't give me the firsts quests that open the shops.

Huh... just checked, looks like the server rebooted without my knowledge. Surprised it took this long for something strange to happen. I think we went over a week? It's normally 2 days.

Anyway, server is back up.

Morokh

Huh... just checked, looks like the server rebooted without my knowledge. Surprised it took this long for something strange to happen. I think we went over a week? It's normally 2 days.

Anyway, server is back up.

Nice, wanted to check things there now that I completed the Story :p

Spyware

Starting a new character and progressing the quests that way might fix it, perhaps? I dunno how far you've played.
The universe is linked for all your characters so progression in the Outpost is the same for all of them.

Purkake4

Banned
What do u make of this? Sounds like Terraria has a lot of persistent players

Is Starbound just lacking content that Terraria has had more time to update?

Also, Starbound will get support like Terraria/Minecraft, right?
I think that Starbound doesn't have the staying power that Terraria has. I wouldn't say Starbound is lacking content, I feel that the basic gameplay is hurting it. I'm sure Starbound will get updates, but I wonder if they have what it takes to fix fundamental stuff like the combat, creature design or UI.

I think that Starbound doesn't have the staying power that Terraria has. I wouldn't say Starbound is lacking content, I feel that the basic gameplay is hurting it. I'm sure Starbound will get updates, but I wonder if they have what it takes to fix fundamental stuff like the combat, creature design or UI.

What is it about Terraria that people keep coming back to?

Purkake4

Banned
What is it about Terraria that people keep coming back to?
It's fun to play (fluid, reactive, guns have a nice kick, etc.), making fighting the numerous super hard bosses a good (but doable) challenge and you have your own world. That bridge you built 20h ago to get over that annoying lava pit will still be there when you go back.

It's fun to play (fluid, reactive, guns have a nice kick, etc.), making fighting the numerous super hard bosses a good (but doable) challenge and you have your own world. That bridge you built 20h ago to get over that annoying lava pit will still be there when you go back.

Isnt Starbound persistent? Or is it just houses?

Costia

Isnt Starbound persistent? Or is it just houses?
In terrraia you spend a lot of time in the same world. You explore it, build you base there, look for new bosses and biomes.
In Starbound you are encouraged to explore new planets. I have played for ~20 hours so far, and i don't think I ever spent more than an hour on a single planet.
You can have a home planet and build your base there. But none of the planets feels like home. Planets feel disposable. You come, you mine, do quests then you leave. You don't get attached to any of them like you do to your home world in Terraria.

The progression in terraria feels more "organic" while in strabound it feels like an add-on to the game.So far in starbound my story progression happened in isolated instanced areas where you can't build/change anything, while in terraria it happend in the world itself, where you could build th boss arena however you wanted. (I have only fought 2-3 bosses, so maybe it changes later on.)

The difficulty setting is a bit strange as well. In survival it's quite hard to explore. There is no map, no death marker, no "teleports home" (or at least I didn't find a "magic mirror"). You constantly need to eat, and the food in your inventory can spoil. You constantly have to keep track of your location and food supply.
Survival mode is quite punishing if you want to do some fun reckless exploring. So I switched to casual mode. But then the item progression gets too easy.
In terraria you can progress via mining only up to a point, then you have to kill a boss to go further. Here it seems that you can just go and mine your way to the highest tier of armor.
So I would say that terraria gives you better control of the difficulty in game. You can go fight a boss with weak armor, or mine and explore more to find better gear to make the fight easier. And if you want to make it even easier, since you build the arena, some bosses have "cheese" tactics.

Another thing is the weapons. Looks like the weapons just scale with your armor. I got a flamethrower at the beginning of the game, and I am still using that. There doesn't seem to be a reason to ever replace it.
In terraria each weapon has fixed damage, so if you want a stronger weapon you will need to get a new one, either via crafting, boss fights, exploring (chests) or a combination of those (crafting while using other weapons as materials). So in terraria you constantly want to get a newer, better and stronger weapon, while in starbound the one I got was good enough, it scaled with my progress, and i never felt the need to look for a new one.
There is a lot less excitement in using the same weapons for ~10 hours than in switching weapons every hour or so.

So for someone who didn't play any of the games, I would still recommend to start with Terraria. And once you are "done" with it play starbound.

Edit: Actually there is one place that feels like home. My ship, which is exactly where my base is. When you are done with a planet, you beam up to your ship. When you want to go to a new one, you travel in your ship. Building a base on planet would just add another loading screen every time you want to go anywhere.
The problem with having the base in the ship is that it's very limited in size and it come pre-constructed in a specific shape and style, there isn't much you can do about it. And as far as i can tell, even if i am playing on a server, i am the only one who ca visit my ship-base. So in starbound I don't have the organic base growth i had in terraria. Everything just has to fit in the given free space inside my ship, there isn't much room for creativity.

Diappointing to hear that starbound is more about jumping planet to planet instead of investing in one and exploring a single planet in more depth. I hope they kind of allow you to select a planet to settle on and then make the locations on that planet challenging enough to make it worth sticking around.

I think Ill get Terrarria for now and wait on Starbound. The artstyle is something I cant get over-- it looks so good in Starbound.

I also am reading that it has better building mechanics than Terraria. I just really like "playing house", so I hope Terrarria is expansive enough for me to make elaborate homes, gardens, and all that.

I enjoyed that a lot in Minecraft, but was very disappointed when I felt I saw it all. For some reason, the fact that the game didnt generate any complex buildings/NPCs/locations just killed my mood. I guess I just need a hook in these kinds of games, which is why I started looking into Terrarria and Starbound. I can enjoy creating a new world and making a home and building up, but I just want to do...more.

I do wish Voxelnauts took off, because I really want some Minecraft clone that does things better.

Also, thanks a lot @Costia! I appreciate the info a lot.

Morokh

Once again, before you all start to make Starbound / Terraria comparisons you might want to consider that Terraria has been patched over an over for 5 years, and check this page .

Just as a friendly reminder, something that everyone takes for granted nowadays in Terraria that is a simple as hard-mode was only patched into the game 8 months after it's official release.

The Starbound / Terraria comparisons since Starbound launched are a complete mess for different reasons.
People mistake being in early-access (aka being in development) for 3 years as the same thing as being officially released and having content updates for 5 years.
On top of that you have a wide array of people that just want Starbound to be another Terraria, well it's close, but it's NOT !
And ultimately people forget how much Terraria changed since it launched, be it for better or for worse, and while you can't blame people for not knowing that depending on when they played it, making random comparisons between the games at different states in their lifetime isn't in any way representative.
In terrraia you spend a lot of time in the same world. You explore it, build you base there, look for new bosses and biomes.
In Starbound you are encouraged to explore new planets. I have played for ~20 hours so far, and i don't think I ever spent more than an hour on a single planet.
You can have a home planet and build your base there. But none of the planets feels like home. Planets feel disposable. You come, you mine, do quests then you leave. You don't get attached to any of them like you do to your home world in Terraria.

Speak for yourself there. I built a colony on my starter planet and I spent a lot of time there. And I've bookmarked quite a few other planets to go and build there because I liked the biome combinations, or the background, or the types of trees, or even because there was a cool combination of Villages and places that could add some variety in locations for the quest system.

Sure there could be more stuff for the player to do once you establish a colony on a planet than random quests, like having to defend your colony or having ways to influence things on the planet (weather, biomes ...)

Ultimately Starbound gives you an array of choices, like using your ship as your main base of operation and not a planet, and it let's you choose the type of planet you want to build on and particularly the difficulty of the planet.
Wanting to build just after switching in Hard mode in Terraria will always be one of the worst decision I've ever made in gaming xD

Prime example :
Edit: Actually there is one place that feels like home. My ship, which is exactly where my base is. When you are done with a planet, you beam up to your ship. When you want to go to a new one, you travel in your ship. Building a base on planet would just add another loading screen every time you want to go anywhere.
The problem with having the base in the ship is that it's very limited in size and it come pre-constructed in a specific shape and style, there isn't much you can do about it. And as far as i can tell, even if i am playing on a server, i am the only one who ca visit my ship-base. So in starbound I don't have the organic base growth i had in terraria. Everything just has to fit in the given free space inside my ship, there isn't much room for creativity.

You have a choice, you say it yourself, you've just chosen to ignore it.
Just a few things about colonies :
- Some type of quests only exist for your colonists,
- There is a wide variety of special or more unique colonists you can attract with specific furniture, some of them being merchants that give you easier access to some things.See here if you don't mind spoilers.
- Depending on what type of colonists you have, quests and specifically the possible rewards can vary greatly, Colonists are a great way to get new seeds/furniture/pets without even having to leave your planet.
- Maybe you've seen people joke about 'Starbound Valley' but the fact is that if not for Ore, establishing a colony with farms and Animals will give you acces to pretty much everything you'll need for your progression.

The progression in terraria feels more "organic" while in strabound it feels like an add-on to the game.So far in starbound my story progression happened in isolated instanced areas where you can't build/change anything, while in terraria it happend in the world itself, where you could build th boss arena however you wanted. (I have only fought 2-3 bosses, so maybe it changes later on.)

The story instances are by no means mandatory for progressing into the game, all you need is to upgrade your EPP to be able to go to the next tier of planets, it's as organic and straightforward as it can be. (maybe even a little too much I'll give you that xD )
Story instances are just there for people that want this kind of thing (a bit like Minecraft introduced the End dimension for people who wanted a 'goal' to the game).

The difficulty setting is a bit strange as well. In survival it's quite hard to explore. There is no map, no death marker, no "teleports home" (or at least I didn't find a "magic mirror"). You constantly need to eat, and the food in your inventory can spoil. You constantly have to keep track of your location and food supply.
Survival mode is quite punishing if you want to do some fun reckless exploring. So I switched to casual mode. But then the item progression gets too easy.
In terraria you can progress via mining only up to a point, then you have to kill a boss to go further. Here it seems that you can just go and mine your way to the highest tier of armor.
So I would say that terraria gives you better control of the difficulty in game. You can go fight a boss with weak armor, or mine and explore more to find better gear to make the fight easier. And if you want to make it even easier, since you build the arena, some bosses have "cheese" tactics.

Survival isn't that bad, food is litterally everywhere, you just need to have a bow or something like hunting spears ready for use.
Exploring isn't worse than in say, Minecraft where you litterally loose everything when you die and where there isn't any markers or anything to get your stuff back.
At least Starbound let's you keep your armor and weapons.
As for 'markers', plant a flag where you start going down into the depths of the planet so that you can teleport right there when you come back, and use torches, or Paint-mode to mark your way down, easy as pie ! (And once again no different than how Minecraft handles it)
As for Terraria, once again, the Map was only introduced in 1.2 which was what ? two and a half years after it's release ?

As for progression in the two games, they're very similar in the way that you can cheese all the bosses if you want, either by 'outleveling' them or cheesing them with an arena, it's just two different ways to go about it, but the result is pretty much the same.
Terraria has the better feel for combat, that's not even a question, but all the mid-tier armors they introduced with 1.2 and since really blurred the lines as far as having a clear progression is concerned.

Another thing is the weapons. Looks like the weapons just scale with your armor. I got a flamethrower at the beginning of the game, and I am still using that. There doesn't seem to be a reason to ever replace it.
In terraria each weapon has fixed damage, so if you want a stronger weapon you will need to get a new one, either via crafting, boss fights, exploring (chests) or a combination of those (crafting while using other weapons as materials). So in terraria you constantly want to get a newer, better and stronger weapon, while in starbound the one I got was good enough, it scaled with my progress, and i never felt the need to look for a new one.
There is a lot less excitement in using the same weapons for ~10 hours than in switching weapons every hour or so.

Once again no one forced you to play with the same weapon for 10 hours, but you.
Having weapons scale is a way to actually have more weapons be viable at any time in the game with how randomized they are, and is very useful for unique ones.
It also makes throwing weapons and bows viable and powerful enough throughout the entire game.
There's some weirdness to it mostly because the variety of weapons you can craft isn't that great and because specialized armor only appears in the latest tiers, but it gives you more choice with how you want to play your character.
That is something that Terraria also thrived to do with subsequent updates by expanding all their weapon types in number so that player could pick a playstyle from the beginning and go through the game from beginning to end with it.

Purkake4

Banned
Once again, before you all start to make Starbound / Terraria comparisons you might want to consider that Terraria has been patched over an over for 5 years, and check this page .

Just as a friendly reminder, something that everyone takes for granted nowadays in Terraria that is a simple as hard-mode was only patched into the game 8 months after it's official release.

The Starbound / Terraria comparisons since Starbound launched are a complete mess for different reasons.
People mistake being in early-access (aka being in development) for 3 years as the same thing as being officially released and having content updates for 5 years.
On top of that you have a wide array of people that just want Starbound to be another Terraria, well it's close, but it's NOT !
And ultimately people forget how much Terraria changed since it launched, be it for better or for worse, and while you can't blame people for not knowing that depending on when they played it, making random comparisons between the games at different states in their lifetime isn't in any way representative.
The difference is that Terraria figured all the things out first, so there's an expectation that other games using a similar formula (2d survival/whatever) would adopt things that work like the UI and basic combat.

I can give props to Starbound for doing amazing things with the building, liquids, costumes and little touches like fossils and musical instruments. That said it feels like they started from the wrong end, there is no excuse for the combat, UI or vehicles to be in the state that they are. It hasn't been 3 years of iteration, it has been 3 years of throwing stuff at the wall and cleaning up the mess.

Houndi101

As a potential buyer I would appreciate someone telling me what's messed up with combat and vehicles? (combat I've seen mentioned before but didn't even know about vehicles?)

Purkake4

Banned
As a potential buyer I would appreciate someone telling me what's messed up with combat and vehicles? (combat I've seen mentioned before but didn't even know about vehicles?)
The combat doesn't feel like it's all there, your blows don't have the kind of knockback you'd expect and enemies will just bump into you half the time (which was something they changed and then reversed again during early access). The guns feel like pea shooters and are all balanced by using your energy (mana) bar instead of ammo, so your über-nuke launcher will have one shot and your pew-pew laser gun will have like 100 with very little damage.

As for the vehicles, it used to be a big selling point, but from what I can see they only managed to add the hoverbike thing (which has some handling problems) and the sailing boat. Things like the mechs that were shown off during progress updates are nowhere to be seen.

Purkake4

Banned
Thanks, shame about the combat because I felt like it was ok in Terraria
I still remember when I got the musket in Terraria for the first time and was one-shotting the floating eyes. It felt amazing. Nothing like that in Starbound so far, just pew-pew and then running away while your energy recovers.

Costia

Once again no one forced you to play with the same weapon for 10 hours, but you.
That's kinda part of the problem I am getting at. Terraia does force you to switch weapons and build a base, even if it is just for the NPCs. While in starbound, you can if you want to, but the game more or less discourages you from doing it. For example by making building a planet base less efficient than a tiny ship base and scaling the weapon's damage.
You can do a lot of things in starbound, but from my personal experience the game mechanics only drive you to go mine, upgrade your gear, and then go mine again on another planet. While in terraia you have to be more "active" to progress (build homes for npc's, construct boss arena, search for new weapons and fight bosses).

You keep mentioning that some things were added to terraria long after release. To me this fact isn't relevant. Since I am playing now, whats relevant to me is the state of both games today, I don't really care when they were released.

Basically, it looks to me that starbound is more focused on survival and overall has more different things to do. But I think that a lot of the things that are common to both games are done better in terraria (partially because it is an older, more mature game now).

I don't get most of these complaints, but then again I didn't play Terraria that much. Particularly, the one about settling down is not true. I have built a three-story house for myself in my home planet, with kitchen, bathroom, pool, basement, and a large orchard, and recently I build an apartment block for tenants, with an elevator, terraces, etc. I simply have a flag set there and warp between exploring. It not being in the same physical place as the places I go for adventuring has no bearing on settling down. If anything, because the danger level is much less, I can relax and build without having to deal with high level monsters all the time.

I also don't think people should commit to one game or the other based on forum opinions. Both games are super cheap and will suck you in for hundreds if not thousands of hours, that is the real investment. I think it would make much more sense to get both and see which one you prefer. To me it's crystal clear (I don't like Terraria's look, least of all after experiencing Starbound, and the scifi / planet hopping angle is much more appealing to me), but each should make their own mind on their own. If buying them both is impossible, there's thousands of hours of gameplay videos available for each.

Spyware

Terraria does some things better, either by original design choice or changes/additions in updates. Starbound also does some things better.
Mostly they are simply different games with a different focus. I greatly enjoy both for completely different reasons.

Mostly playing NMS atm but planning Starbound stuff in my head while I play ;D
I created 5 characters that I was thinking can meet in the middle of where they all started and build a huge HQ there. Is that doable or will it be a headache to figure out where they all are/have to go?

Purkake4

Banned
Terraria does some things better, either by original design choice or changes/additions in updates. Starbound also does some things better.
Mostly they are simply different games with a different focus. I greatly enjoy both for completely different reasons.
I kind of agree with this. Starbound is perfect for the people wanting to build their stuff, wire up some crazy door-elevator stuff, chill out with farming and collect the billion decorative items. Terraria is better at the action/challenge stuff.

Top Bottom