• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Starbound |OT| Boundless...

VandalD

I looked around official forums but couldn't find any substantial solution. I'm having huge framerate and lag issues. Especially when it's on 2x zoom setting. I have a dual core 3.6 ghz CPU and gtx560ti GPU, 6 GB RAM so I guess it's enough for this game?
I'm not sure your CPU is up for it. When I was running this on an older PC that was a dual core, it had the same kind of problems, especially in prebuilt structures with a lot of furniture. You have a much better video card than what I'm using now, and I'm not having those issues (unless my PC is doing other things as well) on a quad core 3.4ghz, so I'd guess that's the problem.

Teletraan1

Banned
Just started playing the other day. I have never played Minecraft or Terraria. Game does a poor job of explaining everything really. It took me a while to get my bearings in this game, I almost didn't like it at first and almost said fuck it. I read this entire thread just to get pointers, hit some wikis and stopped caring about the main quest and am enjoying the game a lot more now. I think I need to upgrade my equipment severely if I want to continue anyway since that pagoda boss rekt the shit out of me. I don't think I ever got him below 80% health. Bullet hell style bosses with these controls are a mismatch imo.

Game runs flawlessly for me on Ubuntu 16.04. Perfectly locked at 60 and I haven't seen or felt a dip. Would love to see some controller support.

ZzzZombi

Neo Member
I'm not sure your CPU is up for it. When I was running this on an older PC that was a dual core, it had the same kind of problems, especially in prebuilt structures with a lot of furniture. You have a much better video card than what I'm using now, and I'm not having those issues (unless my PC is doing other things as well) on a quad core 3.4ghz, so I'd guess that's the problem.

Yeah, probably. I don't play heavy graphics games a lot but CPU bottleneck is a problem I started to experience since the last 2-3 years, even in 2D games.

Calculations be damned!

Yeah, probably. I don't play heavy graphics games a lot but CPU bottleneck is a problem I started to experience since the last 2-3 years, even in 2D games.

Calculations be damned!

One thing that's really interesting is that a weak computer running the game entirely single player seems to sometimes run worse than the same computer in multiplayer, if the server is on another computer (this includes playing with friends via Steam's "Join Game"). Source: exactly the case with my significant other and me, her laptop sometimes (though not always, for some reason) starts chugging a lot, yet seems to always play fine when she's connected to my game. If you have another computer, you might want to set a server there and connect to it. Or perhaps simply play on GAF's server. If you do either, please report your results.

Morokh

Just started playing the other day. I have never played Minecraft or Terraria. Game does a poor job of explaining everything really. It took me a while to get my bearings in this game, I almost didn't like it at first and almost said fuck it.

And yet out of those three games it's the one that explains the most out of the basics.

Sandbox games in general always kind-of let you figure things out yourself in varying degrees.
And they have a lot in common so once you played one of them you start to see things they have in common really quickly.

Frackin universe continues to impress me. Even if you ignore all the crafting stuff they added, the mod is worth it alone just for the new planets and biomes. It adds so much diversity I feel like it should just be added to the base game. It does what long war does to xcom, to starbound. I can't figure out how to give it higher praise.

fleck0

Frackin universe continues to impress me. Even if you ignore all the crafting stuff they added, the mod is worth it alone just for the new planets and biomes. It adds so much diversity I feel like it should just be added to the base game. It does what long war does to xcom, to starbound. I can't figure out how to give it higher praise.

Debating dumping my current character so I can restart with frackin, I'm already running a decent amount of mods but thought maybe I should see through the vanilla content first, now up to the apex part of the main quest and second guessing myself

mstevens

Hey guys.. Interested in the game and I had a few questions that maybe this thread can answer.

I kinda skipped over minecraft and terraria, and all of those sorts of experiences, but something about this one caught my eye. I really like the art style, music and sci-fi elements that I've seen. I also played No Man's Sky and was surprised that I enjoyed the mining/crafting/survival elements of that.

I'm thinking about picking this up. Is it pretty intuitive to start? How's the replay value? My girlfriend is out of town for a couple of weeks and I'm looking for something to really dive into for several dozen hours. Honestly, I'd love to have the civilization type experience where you start the game and all of a sudden the hours melt away, rather than some games that are more of a slog.

Also, I no absolutely no one in real life that plays these games. Is it a good single player experience? Is it easy to find people online to play with, if not?

Thanks!

VandalD

Hey guys.. Interested in the game and I had a few questions that maybe this thread can answer.

I kinda skipped over minecraft and terraria, and all of those sorts of experiences, but something about this one caught my eye. I really like the art style, music and sci-fi elements that I've seen. I also played No Man's Sky and was surprised that I enjoyed the mining/crafting/survival elements of that.

I'm thinking about picking this up. Is it pretty intuitive to start? How's the replay value? My girlfriend is out of town for a couple of weeks and I'm looking for something to really dive into for several dozen hours. Honestly, I'd love to have the civilization type experience where you start the game and all of a sudden the hours melt away, rather than some games that are more of a slog.

Also, I no absolutely no one in real life that plays these games. Is it a good single player experience? Is it easy to find people online to play with, if not?

Thanks!
I would say this is the most intuitive game of its type to get into, though there will still be plenty of learning involved, having not played MC or Terraria. When I started this up for the first time when it first released in beta, it dominated my free time, and now it's better than it was at that point. It's best played single player or with just one other person, at least in my opinion. So you won't be missing out on anything if you go solo. I think specifically if you like the idea of building structures and exploring for objects to decorate them with, you'll like Starbound.

This may have been answered before but is there any way to tell which race inhabits a planet without beaming down and looking around random ones?
Not really, though races favor certain planets, as shown in IceMarker's image. Glitch are said to favor hot planets, but I found Hylotl on one hot planet, happily calling me a thief from picking up the bits of their wooden houses as they melted away from raining cinders. I thought there might be a way to scan a planet for some basic info, but all you really know before going is the kind of protection you need and what ores are there.

Thanks!

IMO:

Massive replay value, massive time sink... add mods? And probably double if not triple that.

I
Not really, though races favor certain planets, as shown in IceMarker's image. Glitch are said to favor hot planets, but I found Hylotl on one hot planet, happily calling me a thief from picking up the bits of their wooden houses as they melted away from raining cinders. I thought there might be a way to scan a planet for some basic info, but all you really know before going is the kind of protection you need and what ores are there.

Thanks.

I just dismissed my chemist crew member by accident. There should really be a confirmation on a box that's where a OK button would usually go.

Finally beat the game. Now that that's done, I want to dabble with mods. Any recommendations? I've heard good things about Fracking Universe, but the warning about crashing the game for uninstalling it has me nervous. I don't want to break my game or anything.

And are they all as easy as hitting subscribe in the workshop? Or are there other things I should be aware of?

Finally beat the game. Now that that's done, I want to dabble with mods. Any recommendations? I've heard good things about Fracking Universe, but the warning about crashing the game for uninstalling it has me nervous. I don't want to break my game or anything.

And are they all as easy as hitting subscribe in the workshop? Or are there other things I should be aware of?

Just make a back up of your character and universe before installing frackin universe, it's worth it. You may want to start from a new character, just because the changes are so extensive.

And yeah, for the most part just hit subscribe. Some mods are incompatible with each other. Just read the descriptions in the workshop. Most mods can be easily removed and they'll say so. Having a back up is advisable just in case.

Purkake4

Banned
Let's hope that 1.1 will give it a boost, otherwise it's dead by the end of the year.

dfaS6Ga.png

Blizzard

Banned
Is that simultaneous users? It will still be a decent singleplayer game that has sold a decent amount, and the company can move on and make another game.

IceMarker

I think I will be playing Starbound, Terraria, and Terraria: Otherworld (if it ends up being even half as good as the other two) for years to come. Minecraft who? No Man's Sky what? I already have all the best games in this genre in front of me.

Purkake4

Banned
Is that simultaneous users? It will still be a decent singleplayer game that has sold a decent amount, and the company can move on and make another game.
Yup, current online players as recorded by Steamdb. And of course, just comparing Terraria's super long legs to Starbound's little sprint.

KDR_11k

Let's hope that 1.1 will give it a boost, otherwise it's dead by the end of the year.

dfaS6Ga.png

Not terribly surprising, the game's progression stops dead when you beat the final mission, practically nothing left to do combat-wise. At least nothing I could find, any gear found on T6 planets seems to be pretty much the same power (+/- a few percent) and every armor piece is made from mineable materials so there's no major threats to fight for better gear like in Terraria... Though even that saw me quitting pretty soon after finally beating the Moon Lord a few times (I believe I was doing more with the previous endgames)...

And none of the story bosses in Starbound were very difficult either, certainly not as much as Terraria's (though those seem meant for multiplayer so the solo difficulty may be higher than intended).

HaRyu

Unconfirmed Member
Hey guys, anyone have any suggestions for how we can have some sort of community image gallery where approved users can all upload to a single gallery? A lot of us keep posting our builds, and they do technically get lost in the shuffle after a page or two. Would be nice if there was a gallery we could just all share.

Morokh

Yup, current online players as recorded by Steamdb. And of course, just comparing Terraria's super long legs to Starbound's little sprint.

You cant really take away any conclusion from those stats, especially if you're trying to pin the two games against each other, if not the fact that, of course to stay relevant updates will be necessary.

Morokh

If you want to keep it simple there's that :

According to Steam DB right now
Starbound - 2,361,044 ± 38,248 owners
Terraria - 7,602,158 ± 68,072 owners
15 - 20 k players a day doesn't represent the same for the two games.

I mean Skyrim for instance that came out the same year as Terraria still averages around 32 000 players a day these days but compared to how many it sold according to Steam DB it's a smaller percentage of players that still play it relative to the possible playerbase than those two games.

Something more interesting and maybe more accurate would have been to see how the two games both did at their respective launch, and if they both dipped as fast or not.
And even then with the price difference between the two, with Starbound being in Early access for so long, and with the 5 years difference between the two releases you might have other factors coming-in to blur the lines.

That being said writing this has made me realize how low the percentage of daily players are for games xD
Even a recent game like No Man's Sky only sees around 6% of it's playerbase play today for instance. (yeah I know controversy and all, but still)

Hey guys, anyone have any suggestions for how we can have some sort of community image gallery where approved users can all upload to a single gallery? A lot of us keep posting our builds, and they do technically get lost in the shuffle after a page or two. Would be nice if there was a gallery we could just all share.

Perhaps a Google Image album?

ZzzZombi

Neo Member

I suggest using Flickr as it has private group feature. Plus, it has good image quality.

This game is really confusing to me. I know it's heavily focused on crafting but it seems to be at odds with itself in a way. Take how the story directs you to the core of the starter planet right off the bat. It pushes you to just go grab them to get started, but then I'm wondering if I should be doing that or trying to start crafting. It doesn't really seem like I'll be staying here long so I figure this isn't the time to bother with that yet.

It's strange because I want to dig into it and I know I'll love it once I get going but there's so much stuff dumped on you at the beginning with barely any explanation that I struggle yo put more than 20 minutes into it when I boot it. Guess I just don't really know what to do. I'm probably going to watch some tutorials etc tonight to get an idea of how someone familiar with the game starts out.

dLMN8R

I'm having a lot of trouble with my first off-planet mission - where I need to scan a bunch of Floran objects.

I found a foresty planet with a lot of Floran outposts and I'm scanning everything, but very few of those items I'm scanning are actually contributing to the total.

I then found a dungeon of sorts which seems to have more artifacts, but that dungeon is filled with a bunch of guys with guns who start shooting me immediately on sight. I've barely found any better weapons, and it takes forever to kill each enemy, so I have no idea how to proceed.

Any tips?

Noaloha

I'm having a lot of trouble with my first off-planet mission - where I need to scan a bunch of Floran objects.

I found a foresty planet with a lot of Floran outposts and I'm scanning everything, but very few of those items I'm scanning are actually contributing to the total.

I then found a dungeon of sorts which seems to have more artifacts, but that dungeon is filled with a bunch of guys with guns who start shooting me immediately on sight. I've barely found any better weapons, and it takes forever to kill each enemy, so I have no idea how to proceed.

Any tips?

When scanning to specifically find progress bar stuff, you only need to interact with objects that highlight green -- blue is just optional flavour. You can also occasionally get info from dialogue, so briefly chat to any Florans you find in their village. If you exhaust all the progress bar increases but need more, and that dungeon area is a struggle, just jump planet and explore around for another Floran village.

cyress8

Banned

Any tips?
Talk to npcs. They also boost it.

Spyware

I got a Floran Hunting Ground dungeon thing or whatever it's called, which put me two items from quest completion when fully explored. Figured I had to find a village later to complete it. Went to a lush planet just to loot the mine/underground, and found two mushroom men that wasn't actually mushroom men... but florans in costumes? Talking to both completed the quest :D

Hendrick's

If only my penis was as big as my GamerScore!
For someone getting ready to jump in for the first time and not wanting to read this entire thread, can any of you point me to the best wiki / starters guide and also let me know if there are any essential mods?

Thanks!

Syril

For someone getting ready to jump in for the first time and not wanting to read this entire thread, can any of you point me to the best wiki / starters guide and also let me know if there are any essential mods?

Thanks!
I used:

Frackin' Universe because it seemed like it was pretty much a giant expansion pack.
Container UI Tweak because otherwise the windows tend to cover up your character.

I never felt the need to turn to the wiki or guides. The game actually has a proper introduction.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
I think I will be playing Starbound, Terraria, and Terraria: Otherworld (if it ends up being even half as good as the other two) for years to come. Minecraft who? No Man's Sky what? I already have all the best games in this genre in front of me.

Me too, except I still play Minecraft more than any of them. Minecraft, Terraria, Starbound, all three are games I play regularly just to relax and have fun while stimulating my brain a bit. I like them all.

Syril

I will be sure to check those out, thanks!

There's also some other ones that I like but are more of a personal preference:

Hunger Enabler for Casual Mode: normally hunger is only in survival mode, but you can use this if you just want hunger but not any of the other things that survival mode has like dropping your items on death.

Racial AI Restorer: apparently in the beta every race's ship AI had a different portrait but were all changed to recolors of the human version in the final game.

Xbawks Character Extender: if you want to use a custom race you need this to add more spaces to the race selection on the character creation window.

Avali Race: I don't normally go for custom race mods, but the Avali are really polished. The sprites of them and their technology are really well done and fit in well with the rest of the game. The main caveat with them is since they don't have the same anatomy as the other races, regular armor/clothing messes up their animations, so you have to have their clothing items in the vanity/costume slots.

Hendrick's

If only my penis was as big as my GamerScore!
There's also some other ones that I like but are more of a personal preference:

Hunger Enabler for Casual Mode: normally hunger is only in survival mode, but you can use this if you just want hunger but not any of the other things that survival mode has like dropping your items on death.

Racial AI Restorer: apparently in the beta every race's ship AI had a different portrait but were all changed to recolors of the human version in the final game.

Xbawks Character Extender: if you want to use a custom race you need this to add more spaces to the race selection on the character creation window.

Avali Race: I don't normally go for custom race mods, but the Avali are really polished. The sprites of them and their technology are really well done and fit in well with the rest of the game. The main caveat with them is since they don't have the same anatomy as the other races, regular armor/clothing messes up their animations, so you have to have their clothing items in the vanity/costume slots.
Thanks again, those sound like mods I will definitely be looking into at some point.

dLMN8R

Good lord I'm not meant to play this game.

A few weeks ago I was saying I lost 2-3 hours of progress because I tried to gank my saved game and screwed up.

I eventually got back to where I was and then some, but then I needed to uninstall / reinstall Steam for completely unrelated reasons.

Turns out uninstalling Steam also wipes out all local saved data underneath the Steam directory.

Oops. Time to reply those 2-3 hours.....again...

Is there any ideal place to build a base? Getting to the point where I have to move my crafting stations out and set up some more inventory. I was thinking of a barren planet cause there's no enemies and it's super flat. But I'm not sure how populating colonies works and quests and if you need to be on a planet with life.

Retro

Is there any ideal place to build a base? Getting to the point where I have to move my crafting stations out and set up some more inventory. I was thinking of a barren planet cause there's no enemies and it's super flat. But I'm not sure how populating colonies works and quests and if you need to be on a planet with life.

Barren planets are fine, the biggest consideration when I pick a planet is the weather. Sand is annoying as hell since it dumps sand blocks everywhere, but stuff like meteors can straight up destroy your buildings.

Genryu

Banned

The best place to build a base is at the bottom of a magma lake, like any good supervillain.

Terrorblot

Finally decided to pick this up, I'm about 10 hours in. It was between Starbound, Factorio, or Rimworld. I've played Terraria and am liking this a considerable amount more. I liked Terraria but not nearly as much as Minecraft and some of the other survival games. I'm about 10 hours in and on the Florian quest, but I've been obsessively building a house so that's taken a back burner. I found a Flame Thrower that I've been having fun using and just picked up the double jump and morph ball right before I logged off, so it will be fun to see how that changes things up for gameplay.

Top Bottom