• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Starbound |OT| Boundless...

Drain You

I can't wait to get back into this. I spent hundreds of hours in this and Terreria. Been purposely holding myself back from playing till a bunch more content was added. Looks like it might be time soon. Great job!

Supernorn

Chucklefish (Starbound)
Latest blog post is up!

Hey everyone!

Our first two posts of the year were a bit brief – we were catching up after the holidays, and we had a hotfix to release and patch notes to post! We’ve comfortably settled back into our routines and projects now, and we’ve got a brand new Starbound update in the works. Seems like a good time to take a minute to catch up.

2016 was really huge for us! In July, we finally released Starbound 1.0 after five years of development. Over the Christmas break, we hit another milestone – we’ve sold over 2.5 million copies of Starbound! I’m trying to visualize a crowd of two and a half million people, but I’m struggling. We’ll just go with… that’s a lot of people? That’s a lot of copies! That’s a lot of alpaca suits and Matter Manipulators and dead Poptops.

So thank you for sticking with us over the years, for buying and playing our game and recommending it to your friends and having faith in our ability to pull this whole thing off. We couldn’t have done it without you. :)

Every patch we see loads of comments from the community about what they love about the game and what they want to see more of. This patch, we’re working on fleshing out a part of the game that’s exciting to a lot of us in the office, as well as a lot of you out there: space! We’ve got lots of big plans for this update, but here’s a little preview showing some of what we’ve got in the works.

PiercingDopeyAbyssiniancat-size_restricted.gif

webm version

We're all super pumped about doing a big space update! We'll have plenty more stuff to reveal soon :D

I just wanted to pop in and say, my friends and I just started playing this a week or so ago (My suggestion), and we're pretty hooked on it! I love that there is a mission structure to follow along with all mining and building aspects. It's a really sprawling and complex game, and it's been great to explore it!

http://playstarbound.com/spaceoff/

In our previous posts we’ve mentioned that ‘space’ is the overarching theme of this patch, and showed a little preview of some exciting new space vehicles. We have some even bigger (downright galactic) changes planned, including fleshing out one of the most fundamental parts of the game: interplanetary travel! To get an idea of what we have in mind, here’s a look at a WIP version of the new navigation interface:

Space isn’t just about stars and planets, it’s about the space between them, so you’ll now be able to fly freely around systems and explore all kinds of new locations, from space stations to traveling merchant ships to mysterious derelicts! Systems won’t just be static, either — moons orbit planets, planets orbit stars, and rich opportunities come and go, rewarding patient explorers with brand new perils and plunder!

There is a gif I couldn't manage to embed.

Seems cool.

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
Sounds pretty neat. Will this ever have controller support?

I don't enjoy playing with keyboard and mouse that much.

Retro

I see a green ship (player) and yellow ships, which I assume are friendly or neutral ships (the "traveling merchant ships" described and such). 2k pixels says there are red ships that aren't so friendly coming too.

Hype Levels Increasing.

I see a green ship (player) and yellow ships, which I assume are friendly or neutral ships (the "traveling merchant ships" described and such). 2k pixels says there are red ships that aren't so friendly coming too.

Hype Levels Increasing.

I wouldn't mind if they added space combat similar to FTL. That'd be pretty dope.

Retro

I wouldn't mind if they added space combat similar to FTL. That'd be pretty dope.

That was one of the things the developers mentioned they'd like to do eventually, maybe this big space-themed update will include it (or at least, build the framework for it to follow).

Personally? I want to have a ship upgrade that adds an air lock and lets me board pirate vessels so I can methodically blast my way through their ship and steal their booty.

I imagine we'll be exploring derelict ships and space stations in the future with that new interface.

The update even mentioned derelict ships and space stations, and we've seen a few GIFs of that nature so... absolutely. Can't wait.

NandoGip

Just picked this game up Sunday night and I am hooked. I played it like a year or two ago while it was still in development, and decided against continuing until it was fully released.

I got some mods too like Frackin Universe and some other content stuff. I called out of work so I can put in some damage, and I'm having so much fun.

Now I just need someone to share the mod pack with me and play multiplayer!

loudbill

I bought this game when it first came on the market. I thought it was great. My characters kept getting deleted because of the updates, so i had to keep starting over. I haven't played it seriously in a long time, is it worth coming back to? I realize their are a ton of updates, but is it worth it?

Easy_D

never left the stone age
I bought this game when it first came on the market. I thought it was great. My characters kept getting deleted because of the updates, so i had to keep starting over. I haven't played it seriously in a long time, is it worth coming back to? I realize their are a ton of updates, but is it worth it?

I'd say so, I'm just waiting for the next big update before I go back in. I just wish it ran better.. like I understand there's a shitload of stuff going on under the hood, but I'd still love for it to run at 60 FPS on my FX6300

Akronis

I'd say so, I'm just waiting for the next big update before I go back in. I just wish it ran better.. like I understand there's a shitload of stuff going on under the hood, but I'd still love for it to run at 60 FPS on my FX6300

Yea performance and netcode are the biggest issues for me. Lots of desync online with good connections :/

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Yea performance and netcode are the biggest issues for me. Lots of desync online with good connections :/

My biggest issue is that it actually ran better in the beta lmao, they did do some improvements so the outpost runs at 40ish FPS rather than 25-30..but still.

The FPS drops wouldn't be so annoying if they used hardware mouse, dunno how hard that is to implement, but if the mouse cursor didn't lag when the framerate dropped, it'd mitigate the majority of my issues with the performance, I can take dips to the 30s as long as the cursor isn't lagging. I've seen people ask about this feature a lot but no official response to it, which makes me kinda sad :(. I'd even take bad news, then I can go into the acceptance phase :p

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Haven't really had the time to try it out yet :p

Edit: Yeah there was nothing in the registry for me to remove, since I've never run Steam in comptability mode, don't have an Nvidia GPU either :(

Retro

Waiting on this next update. I keep seeing small patches. I guess they're travelling sub-light speed on this next update.

All that new stuff to do in space, new mechs, saw some new elevator stuff a while ago... a bunch of them just got back from GDC I believe too.

I've been playing off and on lately (more off lately because Zelda), I've been building a kind of.... I dunno what to call it, other than "Metroidvania Map". I'll have to get some screenshots, but I suffer from that horrible "Steam Overlay = Screenshots turn everything black so you have to alt-F4 out" bug that's been in since 1.0 launched.

Might be easier to just capture a video.

Retro

Sorry for the double post, but Update News! There's a bunch of Gfycat webms embedded, I'll just link to 'em since GAF doesn't support 'em

http://playstarbound.com/14th-march-a-star-war/

Hey everyone! I hope you're enjoying your week. Here's a look at some more things you'll be seeing in the upcoming Starbound update!

In previous updates we've shown off how we're expanding space travel so that it's more than just a way to access planets, as well as adding space stations as a new type of location you'll be able to visit. In fact, there'll be many kinds of places to visit out in deep space, but unlike planets, getting to them isn't as simple as teleporting to them. Luckily, the new mechs that are coming this update are perfect zero-gravity exploration vehicles!

https://zippy.gfycat.com/EvilScaredBat.webm

Exploring space in Starbound can be as dangerous as exploring uncharted planets – which is to say you have to watch out for an assortment of weird and hostile creatures! Space combat in Starbound is quite a different experience to fighting on the surface of worlds, to say the least.

https://gfycat.com/GlaringScarceArcticseal

You'll be well prepared to deal with this, however! You can outfit your mech with a variety of equipment, from gatling guns to deployable drones and energy swords.

https://gfycat.com/VainGratefulGoat

This is shaping up to be our most ambitious post-release update for Starbound yet! We'll share some more info soon enough. :)

small_red_mercia.gif

What's this?! As you may well have heard already, we here at Chucklefish have announced a new game! It's called Wargroove, and you can watch the announcement trailer here. If you wait to the end of the trailer, you may see some familiar faces...

https://gfycat.com/DopeyMammothGermanshepherd

Starbound's Floran race, commanded by none other than Nuru, feature in Wargroove! Does this take place in the world of Starbound? How did Nuru get there? Is this even canon?! To find out more you'll have to follow progress for Wargroove on its very own development blog, just like Starbound! We're so excited, and hope you all are too!

‘Til next time!

VandalD

The space stuff is looking good, though traveling through a lot of emptiness is going to really make me want an automap. Can't mark where you've been in space with torches.

Maybe this is the wrong place to ask, but has there been any updates on console versions at all? Are they still a thing or is the team just working on post launch content?

Thanks for any info and again sorry if this isnt the place to ask.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
The update is looking great. I still need to finish the main quest, maybe later this week I'll start playing it again for a bit. I love coming back to this game after short breaks, it always feels so good to return to!

As a lover of all things mecha, this update is right up my alley. They're never going to stop until Starbound is the biggest game ever, are they?

Maybe this is the wrong place to ask, but has there been any updates on console versions at all? Are they still a thing or is the team just working on post launch content?

Thanks for any info and again sorry if this isnt the place to ask.

This is my number one most wanted feature, not so much for the console port itself (portable Starbound would be amazing but I've given up hope on a Vita port and I don't have a Switch yet), but because it would force them to patch in controller support at damn long last. :p

Retro

1.3 is gonna be huge.

So far it's just been mechs and a bunch of space stations / derelicts. I really hope there's pirate ships we can board (and can board our ships) and stuff like that. Last update was all endgame stuff, hoping this next one is just lots to explore (built from lots of new tiles and furniture to build with).

Played a bit last night. There are a couple new things I noticed since I last played (which was essentially the 1.0 build), but I am also still running frackn universe so some of the new stuff is attributed to that.

I'm looking forward to the new update. I hope they keep the updates coming.

Retro

Is there still a Neogaf server for this?

Sorry for the late response. Usually HaRyu puts the server up right after an update when demand is high and then takes it down when people stop logging in. We're between updates at the moment (though one is coming "soon"), check back when things are hoping again.

Retro

http://playstarbound.com/26th-april-some-assembly-required/

Today we’re excited to show off just how the mech assembly in Starbound’s upcoming 1.3 update will work. As we’ve touched on in previous blog posts, mechs are a single, modular vehicle type which are built of several different components. These mech components are items that you can craft, find blueprints for and trade with your friends.

At the Mech Assembly Station, you can swap out mech parts, paint colors, and see the stats and appearance of your mech. You need a full set of parts for your mech to be deployable. (although horns are optional!)

Of course, you’ll want to improve your mech with newer, shinier parts. Luckily there’s a lot of space to explore, so finding rare mech component blueprints out there shouldn’t be too much of a problem for any eager adventurer!

booster_comparison.png

Until next time!

There's some videos on the actual page of mech customization in action.

Top Bottom