• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Starbreeze's (Chronicles of Riddick) new next-gen FPS

Solid

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/

A little bird whispers in our ear about a new next-gen FPS from Starbreeze called Kano

17:19 Riddick developer Starbreeze is currently working on a next-gen first-person shooter called Kano, a well-placed source has informed us this afternoon on conditions of strict anonymity.

According to our source, Kano is an FPS "with an unusual hook" explaining further that in the game you're actually shown an enemy's actions before they happen. "So you're actually shooting predictively," our source added. So a lead character gifted with precognition then? Could be.

Sounds weird, and indeed our source went on to say that the hook is "pretty trippy" in action but had no further ever-so-secret beans to spill on Kano.

We of course put a call straight to Starbreeze to get comment but were told that there was no one available to talk to us at the time of writing.

There never is over there, perhaps it has something to do those long Swedish nights? Or maybe there'll all just in the sauna, predicting which towel to use next. If we hear anything more, we'll let you know.

Baron Aloha

A Shining Example
mk_kano.gif

You knew it was coming.

thorns

Banned
I wonder who the publisher is? Hopefully it's someone with money (Vivendi/SEGA/EA/Ubi/Activision, better yet, Microsoft :D). I'm a bit worried about The Darkness, since Majesco is almost going bankrupt now, I hope it won't be rushed..

element

ToyMachine228 said:
I believe Starbreeze is also developing the game based on "The Darkness". Or was.
It wouldn't shock me if The Darkness gets cancelled. Starbreeze is hot, and Majesco is having problems.

Kiriku

SWEDISH PERFECTION
Solid said:
There never is over there, perhaps it has something to do those long Swedish nights? Or maybe there'll all just in the sauna, predicting which towel to use next. If we hear anything more, we'll let you know.

WTF, Sauna? That's not a Swedish thing, that's Finnish! Get your stereotypical facts straight, CVG.

Solid

FoneBone said:
I thought they only worked on one game at a time there?
I dunno. They're currently working on The Darkness and they just finished Knights of The Temple 2 so they are apparently working on more than 1 game at a time.

I suspect this is a PS3/360 game, at least I hope so.

JMPovoa

blindrocket said:
I want more Riddick goodness... or at least a high res port of Riddick to the PS3.

If you have the xbox version and if it's backwards compatible with the Xbox360 it will be playable in high-res, i think.

element said:
They did have two teams for a while with Riddick and Knights of the Temple.
Come now, don't talk crap. Starbreeze didn't actually develop Knights of the Temple. You actually believed this? Haha. I feel sorry for you.

Phosphor

Joseph Merrick said:
Come now, don't talk crap. Starbreeze didn't actually develop Knights of the Temple. You actually believed this? Haha. I feel sorry for you.

Actually you are the one who is wrong, KotT was developed In-house here at SBZ by a hired team since Team1 was working on Riddick at the time and Team2 was doing Enclave 2.

The project ran over time (due to inexperienced team and mismanagement) and the hirelings got canned. At this time Swing (the publisher of Enclave1 and 2) went belly up and E2 was canceled.

Team2 was moved to KotT and remade the whole game and gameplay (some models and levels where kept and modified) in 6 months, using animations from E2.

All in all I'd say KotT was an amazing game, considering it was done in the time we did it.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
Phosphor said:
Actually you are the one who is wrong, KotT was developed In-house here at SBZ by a hired team since Team1 was working on Riddick at the time and Team2 was doing Enclave 2.

The project ran over time (due to inexperienced team and mismanagement) and the hirelings got canned. At this time Swing (the publisher of Enclave1 and 2) went belly up and E2 was canceled.

Team2 was moved to KotT and remade the whole game and gameplay (some models and levels where kept and modified) in 6 months, using animations from E2.

All in all I'd say KotT was an amazing game, considering it was done in the time we did it.

So Cauldron is an internal team at Starbreeze?

Did they do KotT2 as well, internally?

Phosphor said:
That isn't SBZ, you fool.

Gattsu25

Banned
Phosphor said:
Crazy...this coupled with the original post make me smile from ear to ear. Two good sets of Starbreeze news in a single thread :D

Exactly.

FlyingJ, Cauldron are based in Slovakia.

Phosphor, how long have you worked for SBZ? Know what happened to the futuristic fps version of Enclave? The game that was first shown using the title Enclave anyway.

BojTrek

Banned
Solid said:
Kano is an FPS "with an unusual hook" explaining further that in the game you're actually shown an enemy's actions before they happen. "So you're actually shooting predictively," our source added. So a lead character gifted with precognition then? Could be.

precogs.jpg

snatches

Joseph Merrick said:
Exactly.

Phosphor, how long have you worked for SBZ? Know what happened to the futuristic fps version of Enclave? The game that was first shown using the title Enclave anyway.

It looks to me that you are arguing with an ACTUAL EMPLOYEE OF THE DEV IN QUESTION.

This will not turn out well for you, methinks.

Solid said:
http://www.computerandvideogames.com/

A little bird whispers in our ear about a new next-gen FPS from Starbreeze called Kano

17:19 Riddick developer Starbreeze is currently working on a next-gen first-person shooter called Kano, a well-placed source has informed us this afternoon on conditions of strict anonymity.

According to our source, Kano is an FPS "with an unusual hook" explaining further that in the game you're actually shown an enemy's actions before they happen. "So you're actually shooting predictively," our source added. So a lead character gifted with precognition then? Could be.

Sounds weird, and indeed our source went on to say that the hook is "pretty trippy" in action but had no further ever-so-secret beans to spill on Kano.

We of course put a call straight to Starbreeze to get comment but were told that there was no one available to talk to us at the time of writing.

CONFIRMED: STARBREEZE WORKING ON GEIST SEQUEL, CODENAMED KANO

Phosphor

Joseph Merrick said:
Exactly.

It's probably sitting on some backup DVD in the safe.

Two of the models where used as unlocks in Enclave, the killerdroid and Feticia,

snatches said:
It looks to me that you are arguing with an ACTUAL EMPLOYEE OF THE DEV IN QUESTION. This will not turn out well for you, methinks.
I am stiring it now. Oooh. Your answer is in his quote, "KotT was developed In-house here at SBZ by a hired team."

But nevermind that, I want to know what happened to the old Enclave FPS. What was released as Enclave looked more like that thing Sorcery.

Phosphor

Let's get something clear, I can not and will not comment on platforms, production that has not been released or anything that is still under wraps.

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
Phosphor said:
Let's get something clear, I can not and will not comment on platforms, production that has not been released or anything that is still under wraps.

Fair enough, it was a cheap shot.

It's a legit question, though, to anyone.

It wasn't like it was ever "confirmed" - it was just casually mentioned, I think, by IGN.
Just check to see if - anyone - has heard anything since that initially listing.

Hell, in the "If you had X mil to invest in a developer" thread, I did mention Starbreeze, haha.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
Phosphor said:

how is the darkness coming along? a "great" would suffice :)

Acosta

Too late, you are doomed ;)

Good luck with your projects, you are a really talented team, but don´t talk too much about it or you will make some people think they are going to get exclusive info or convince you to develop your games for X system.

jetjevons

Bish loves my games!
Darkness is NOT cancelled. It is Strarbreeze's primary focus right now and it is looking awesome. The release date has not been announced.

Yes they do have a new game deal with VU. I'm pretty sure it's not Kano.

Top Bottom