• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Starbreeze's The Darkness trailer snippet

jetjevons

Bish loves my games!
The full trailer is a couple minutes long and is SUPER high quality. You can really see what they are doing with textures, lighting etc. on 360.

demon

I don't mean to alarm you but you have dogs on your face
EGM92 said:
and where might this full trailer be ???
Silly you. This is a console unveiling/E3. You have to scour THE ENTIRE FUCKING INTERNET for such elusive footage.

demon

jetjevons said:
I don't think its been publically released yet. I have it because I'm working on the game!
Why thank you, I'd love for you to send me a copy!

Doom_Bringer said:
. Best single player FPS ever!

Agreed x 10.

Also, The Darkness is looking hot.

"DO YOU BELIEVE IN A THING CALLED LOOOOOOOOOoooOOVE!?"

Please tell me you're licensing that song for the game :p

Pedigree Chum said:
Agreed x 10.

Also, The Darkness is looking hot.

"DO YOU BELIEVE IN A THING CALLED LOOOOOOOOOoooOOVE!?"

Please tell me you're licensing that song for the game :p

I dunno about horror games man, I have a tough time playing em. Is this a FPS too? or is it 3rd person survival horror type game?

Rhindle

Yeah, it's been posted. But it looks pretty friggin awesome on every level, so it will be good for more people to see it.

I take it this is all in-engine?

jetjevons

Bish loves my games!
Pedigree Chum said:
What you work for Starbeeze? May I bow before you? Riddick was the fucking shit.

I don't work at Sbz. I work at a company called Union Entertainment. I did the original game design, got the license from Top cow, got Starbreeze attatched as a developer (I worked with them when I produced Enclave at Conspiracy) and then sold the package to Majesco to publish.

jetjevons

Bish loves my games!
Doom_Bringer said:
I dunno about horror games man, I have a tough time playing em. Is this a FPS too? or is it 3rd person survival horror type game?

It's an FPA(dventure) like Riddick. First person but not neccessarily a shooter.

jetjevons

Bish loves my games!
COCKLES said:
Enclave 360.

Make it so!

Imagine those textures! :p

Ha! I wish. Hey Cockles did you ever see the Enclave 2 prototype that Sbz did? With the Knight in this awesome looking swamp fighting the zombies that come out of the water?

jetjevons said:
It's an FPA(dventure) like Riddick. First person but not neccessarily a shooter.

Sweetness. I can't wait to see the advancements in interactivity that Starbreeze tries with The Darkness. Is this title poised for launch (if so, nothing will stop me from getting an X360)? And from the vid it seems as if you play the bad guy anti-hero, that's always fun :)

COCKLES

being watched
jetjevons said:
Ha! I wish. Hey Cockles did you ever see the Enclave 2 prototype that Sbz did? With the Knight in this awesome looking swamp fighting the zombies that come out of the water?

Remember you mentioning it. But no never seen it.

Still you never know...

SantaC

from ign:

Using its experience with The Chronicles of Riddick: Escape From Butcher Bay to blend captivating story and high-pitch action into a seamless whole, the Starbreeze team has created a new engine for next generation consoles enabling both non-linear single- and online multi-player in a range of urban environments. We had a short chat with Starbreeze's Lars Johansson, Jens Andersson and Mikael Säker for insight into the game.

IGN: What is the basic story behind the game? Also, what kind of game is it?

Starbreeze:
On the night of his 21st birthday, the Francetti family Don, Uncle Paulie, sends out hitman Jackie Estacado on a job. The hit turns out to be a trap and Jackie finds that Paulie wants Jackie dead. Later the same night, Jackie is possessed by "The Darkness," an ancient demonic power that gives Jackie spectacular powers. The story revolves around Jackie and Paulie fighting over the future of the Francetti family, and of Jackie's search for light and love in a dark and violent world.

The Darkness is a first-person action adventure game with a mix of different gameplay elements. With the Darkness powers, Jackie receives a wide range of special Darkness abilities that help him defeat enemies and wreak havoc throughout the game's environments. Jackie is also able to summon and control creatures of the Darkness. These creatures aid him in his quest for revenge and control.

IGN: Given that this is a next-generation title, what kind of experience do you expect gamers to have when playing it? How will it be different than experiencing a game in the previous generation of games?

Starbreeze: Next-generation consoles remove a lot of the limitations seen in current console games, for example "Riddick." On the new hardware we have much more freedom in creating the visuals and gameplay that we envision. Things turn out much more realistic and believable and we can really start conveying personalities and emotions, something that we've only scratched the surface on earlier. Utilizing the Darkness abilities as we have designed them is also something that couldn't have been done on earlier platforms; we will really try to make the most of the hardware we have at hand. We have spectacular scenarios planned where we now can use physics, AI and special effects to a much greater extent.

IGN: What kinds of techniques, tricks, or graphic procedures that you couldn't do on previous systems will enable your game to look incredibly gorgeous in this next generation of games?

Starbreeze: The really big leap we've done when moving towards next-gen was actually the change to the dynamic lighting model we developed for "Riddick" where each material and model of the game was created from millions of polygons using normal-mapping. The trouble was that this technology was perhaps a bit too heavy for the hardware, but that isn't the case anymore. This means that we now really can take advantage of the technology and expand it with stuff that make it stand out. Normal-mapping is still be the basis of the rendering technology, but the detail we can provide is increased greatly. Special effects also receive a lot of new focus, now that we have more power under the hood. As with many next-gen title, lighting is the greatest factor in creating a visually beautiful game, so it is perhaps ironic that the game is called The Darkness.

demon

"Next-generation consoles remove a lot of the limitations seen in current console games, for example "Riddick." On the new hardware we have much more freedom in creating the visuals and gameplay that we envision. Things turn out much more realistic and believable and we can really start conveying personalities and emotions, something that we've only scratched the surface on earlier"
:lol I'm sorry, but that could be taken straight from a pre-Xbox-release interview. It's the same thing every generation.

Holy fucking shit biscuits that extended trailer was AWESOME. Animations, lighting, effects, normal/bump maps, it's all there. And it looked fantastic :)

REALLY like the style too. If MS were smart they'd pick up Starbreeze.

Edit: Did Majesco change their logo? It looks really nice. They're also improving by leaps and bounds too.

demon

Pedigree Chum said:
Holy fucking shit biscuits that extended trailer was AWESOME. Animations, lighting, effects, normal/bump maps, it's all there. And it looked fantastic :)

REALLY like the style too. If MS were smart they'd pick up Starbreeze.
Yeah, the quality of the trailer was shit, though. It looked slightly pixelated and it was a widescreen image stretched to normal ratio. Simply brilliant.

demon said:
Yeah, the quality of the trailer was shit, though. It looked slightly pixelated and it was a widescreen image stretched to normal ratio. Simply brilliant.

Yeah, I'm sure we'll get better video in the future. But from what I've seen, I likes.

McPhineas said:
The end of that ign trailer begs the question -- are there definite plans to port the game to other hardware as well?

I'm pretty sure the previous rumors pointed to Starbreeze working on X360 and PS3. Wouldn't be suprised if this were PS3 bound as well.

SantaC

demon said:

the game looked simply awesome, but there was something weird with the video quality at some places. Liked it was flickering.

Very cool trailer. Darkness looks like it will be more stylized than previous Starbreeze games. It seems very likely that I'll be grabbing this game the moment it hits stores.

Pedigree Chum said:
It's based on a comic, might be the one you're talking about. What's so shitty about it? :(

never read it, but i always thoughtt the art in Darkness/witchblade was fucking terrible. The typical early-mid 90s "extreme edgy goth" McFarlane/Leifeld type of shit.

Ninja Scooter said:
never read it, but i always thoughtt the art in Darkness/witchblade was fucking terrible. The typical early-mid 90s "extreme edgy goth" McFarlane/Leifeld type of shit.

Ah, it doesn't look too bad in the vid. Starbreeze took a shitty subject matter like CoR (to me at least) and made a sick game out of it. I expect the same here.

jetjevons

Bish loves my games!
Ninja Scooter said:
is it based on that shitty comic with the horrible character designs though?

Top Cow game sbz the freedom to redesign the character and world. It's recognizably Darkness but its not much like the comic anymore.

Phosphor

jetjevons said:

I saw it! Hell come to think of it, I worked on it! ;)

Top Bottom