• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Starbucks raising prices... again

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rootbeer

Banned
A lot of people won't even notice.

Of course. Their prices are kind of all over the place, not a lot of round numbers or consistency to it, so it makes it easier to raise them without people noticing since they probably didn't remember what it was anyway.

If you're the type who always orders the exact same thing this probably doesn't apply to you. But I'm all over the menu at just about anyplace I frequent.

ajcacio

Banned
Sorry, I'm not going to get up in arms about a foodservice outlet raising prices when they treat their employees far better than the industry norm and said price raise will help them continue to do just that.

Exactly; a lot of people up in arms over 5-20 cents.

Also who the fuck thinks Starbucks is hipster

Also hipsters aren't a thing anymore it's not 2011

andycapps

I usually go there when I know I'm going to drink at least two cups of coffee, so usually when me and my wife go out shopping, since I can get a free refill most of the time. Stand alone stores seem to really stick to the same visit only refill, but malls and Target don't care. And if you have a cup in the car from a previous visit or a plastic cup, usually cam get that refilled for free.

Another reason I drink there is I know what I'm getting wherever I am. When traveling you can find some bad coffee shops, but I know I will get a cup of Starbucks at Starbucks.

What is a cup of Starbucks, exactly?

SRG01

Most independent coffee shops in my city charge *more* for their coffee than Starbucks. I don't see how indepedents can possibly compete on price because of Starbucks' scale.

Larogue

You are telling me that people who are buying overpriced coffee will notice that its more overpriced now?

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Oh noes... think on the hipsters.

Hipsters complain about Starbucks they don't drink it. They won't be complaining about the price because their Herkimer cycle messenger bag cost $200 but they will criticize it using a vast array of adjectives including but actually limited to "burnt."

Then they will tell you that if you're not brewing hand ground civet-shat beans from an antique French press, that your subjective opinions are null and void.

And there might be a Dunkin Donuts apologist along in a minute.

Most independent coffee shops in my city charge *more* for their coffee than Starbucks. I don't see how indepedents can possibly compete on price because of Starbucks' scale.

Ssssh. I'm sure they're personally putting a Guatemalan orphan through fair trade college.

I almost never have it anymore, but I don't necessarily mind them doing this, assuming they're still providing tuition benefits for their employees.

The reason why Starbucks is "expensive" to most people is because of all the crap they put in it. A frappe is a milkshake. It would cost the same as getting it at Baskin Robins.

Black coffee from Starbucks is not expensive and tastes perfectly fine.

TomShoe

Banned
>Buying Starbucks
>ever
>in 2015
>costanza.jpeg

Seriously. If I'm gonna pay that much for a coffee, I'd rather do it myself. Just get a cheap Keurig (1.0), a re-usable K-cup filter, and some coffee grounds. Not paying $5 a day for a latte, shit adds up.

Don't even waste your time with that coffee.

Wawa and Dunkins have better coffee and it's a lot cheaper than that Starbucks crap.

I usually just buy whole beans at Wegmans or Whole Foods and grind it up myself.

entremet

The reason why Starbucks is "expensive" to most people is because of all the crap they put in it. A frappe is a milkshake. It would cost the same as getting it at Baskin Robins.

So much coffee, though.

I grew up with these:

220px-Anthora_-_We_are_happy_to_serve_you.jpg

I never understood the need for the crazy amounts that Starbucks offers.

demon

I don't mean to alarm you but you have dogs on your face
Jesus. A cup of Starbucks coffee is NOT worth $2.25.

Starbucks is only for when you want to go into a sugar coma by drinking fudge and brownie bits through a straw.

If I ever need coffee from a drive thru I always go to dunkin.

Davey Cakes

Yeah. People always think of the specialty drink pricing. Regular coffees aren't too expensive in comparison to most coffee shops, really. And I like Starbucks coffee but not enough to go there more than once in a blue moon.

Might just be the trading price of coffee beans going up, though I'm kind of bitter if they're not pricing up the frappucinos, now I'll have to make more of that bullshit ugh

Ryuukan

but gaf says you can buy an entire bag of frappuccino for that price

Nephtis

At least this is from a company that is doing right by their employees. Benefits, schooling, etc.

I'm totally ok with the raise and will happily buy more.

Only go out for coffee when traveling for business, where I like a big cup before heading to the customer's site. Even then, I can reliably find a good local source of coffee, even in desolate hellscapes like Fayetteville, AR.

those still exists? i mean widespread.

Yes, absolutely. People want more than what Starbucks provides.

Think of it as helping Starbucks employees go to college given the company pays for it now for employees in conjunction with Arizona St.

FStop7

Banned

depends on where you live, but many have been squeezed out.

Most of LA doesn't have crap other than Starbucks, Coffee Bean, and the occasional Peet's. Unless you're lucky enough to be close to Intelligentsia.

When I was in Portland there were amazing local coffee places left and right. I'm seriously jealous of that.

Just like last year around this time, another round of price increases.

Prices are going up 5 to 20 cents on many beverages (more in some markets, like here in San Fran), despite their profits up 18% this year.

Fellow, this is how profits continue to increase.

I'm assuming Starbucks is somewhere in an index fund I'm in, so I'll say I'm for this, and a 5 cent bump to a tall coffee (speculating, haven't seen the higher price locally) is in line with inflation anyway.

KiKaL

How many people go to Starbucks and spend $2.25 on a cup of coffee, vs how many go and get a large caramel frappucino for $4-5 every day? And let's not act like $2.25 for a single serving of coffee is cheap, either.

Also, when I said "single cup of coffee" I wasn't only speaking about coffee. Was speaking of the coffee flavored drinks that they have that cost twice as much or more as their plain coffee.

Wasn't trying to call you out, I just generally spend $10 - $15 on a 16oz bag of coffee. So even spending $4 -5 for a bag is quite a savings. So I was more so wondering where you can find good coffee for that kind of price.

styl3s

What a perfect opportunity to try supporting your local coffee shops, many of which are both cheaper AND have better coffee! :)
Most local coffee shops here the same if not more.

I don't care about candy coffees i drink it black and weigel's (gas station) makes it better and it's only like $1 for a 24oz.

Hipsters complain about Starbucks they don't drink it. They won't be complaining about the price because their Herkimer cycle messenger bag cost $200 but they will criticize it using a vast array of adjectives including but actually limited to "burnt."

Then they will tell you that if you're not brewing hand ground civet-shat beans from an antique French press, that your subjective opinions are null and void.

And there might be a Dunkin Donuts apologist along in a minute.

Ssssh. I'm sure they're personally putting a Guatemalan orphan through fair trade college.

I'm stealing this.

Ban Puncher

Starbucks tried to bring their bullshit coffee to Australia but got chased out of the country.

It tasted like someone had filled their mouth with coffee, swished it around then spat it back out into a different cup and sold you that.

Don't drink terrible coffee, friends.

Davey Cakes

The "hipster" stuff is annoying.

No one associates hipsters with Starbucks. If they do, they don't know what a hipster is.

Then again, no one actually knows what a hipster is anymore.

Just stop it already.

demon

I don't mean to alarm you but you have dogs on your face

depends on where you live, but many have been squeezed out.
I guess it does matter where you live, because where I live, Madison WI, there are ass loads of non-chain and regional cafes, and they all have better coffee than Starbucks. Sometimes the difference in quality is staggering considering it costs about the same.

Moonkeis

Not a problem here, I stick with the local coffee shops anyways. And no, hipsters go to local coffee shops, navigate to your local shops and you can see for yourself.

I usually go there when I know I'm going to drink at least two cups of coffee, so usually when me and my wife go out shopping, since I can get a free refill most of the time. Stand alone stores seem to really stick to the same visit only refill, but malls and Target don't care. And if you have a cup in the car from a previous visit or a plastic cup, usually cam get that refilled for free.

Another reason I drink there is I know what I'm getting wherever I am. When traveling you can find some bad coffee shops, but I know I will get a cup of Starbucks at Starbucks.
I'd personally be pretty mad if I went to Starbucks and they gave me a cup of some other coffee store.

styl3s

The amount of posters in this thread talking about hipsters in Starbucks cracks me up. Hipsters in general don't go to starbucks.
Hipsters basically live at the non-chain coffee shops here.

Starbucks here is mostly filled with old women/men and teenage girls buying milkshake'esq drinks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom