• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Starbucks raising prices... again

Status
Not open for further replies.
Around $2 for a small coffee is about par for the course. The specialty drinks are expensive but it's no different from other coffee shops.

The rewards program is great. Assuming you only go during promotions, it makes purchases there pretty cheap. Also their customer service is top-notch: every time I email them with a missing Star complaint they've given it to me, no questions asked.

andycapps

Wasn't trying to call you out, I just generally spend $10 - $15 on a 16oz bag of coffee. So even spending $4 -5 for a bag is quite a savings. So I was more so wondering where you can find good coffee for that kind of price.

Oh, you can't find anything for $2.25 obviously. But Trader Joes sells their 12 oz cans of beans for anywhere from $5.99-7.99.

Amory

Starbucks blows anyway. Always tastes burnt.

Dunkin Donuts 4 lyfe. Or Cumberland Farms, actually. They've stepped up their coffee game big time.

Ryuukan

Hipsters complain about Starbucks they don't drink it. They won't be complaining about the price because their Herkimer cycle messenger bag cost $200 but they will criticize it using a vast array of adjectives including but actually limited to "burnt."

Then they will tell you that if you're not brewing hand ground civet-shat beans from an antique French press, that your subjective opinions are null and void.

And there might be a Dunkin Donuts apologist along in a minute.

Dunkin Donuts 4 lyfe. Or Cumberland Farms, actually. They've stepped up their coffee game big time.

gaf prophecies

styl3s

My problem with Dunkin Donuts is every time i get coffee from there i want a doughnut and then i get a doughnut and it's always fucking stale unless you get a doughnut by like 10am.

I can go to Krispy Cream any time of the day and get a dozen hot fresh donuts but i can't get 1 fresh fucking doughnut at Dunkin Donuts past 10 and it isn't just 1 location this is at any of the 3 locations near me and my store.

What a perfect opportunity to try supporting your local coffee shops, many of which are both cheaper AND have better coffee! :)

Yeah but I haven't found a decent replacement for any of the cream-based Frappachinos on Starbucks's menu. The only ones I can find are usually coffee based, and I hate coffee.

I take advantage of their rewards program, though I usually save my rewards for specialty drinks like frappuccinos or for one of their ready-made meals. My go-to drinks are usually iced coffee or tea/tea lemonades while I prefer my brewed coffee on their clover machine.

In the end though, so long as they continue to treat their employees well with living wages and provide them with both healthcare benefits and college tuition, I'm okay with paying more for my coffee.

BamfMeat

You think Starbucks burns their coffee but not Dunkin Donuts?

I hate when people say "Starbucks coffee tastes burnt!" and start drinking their Venti Caramel latte with 2 extra shots. I don't think most people realize that Starbucks coffee isn't "coffee" most of the time. They use espresso. Which is dark roasted. They do HAVE brewed coffee, and you can certainly get that, but if you get any of the other drinks, they're all freaking espresso. Come on now!

I don't care that Starbucks is raising their prices. Prices are getting raised everywhere and I'm not so poor I can't afford 5-20 cents more. Plus I'm super glad they're actually wanting to take care of their employees.

Tetraeon

What a perfect opportunity to try supporting your local coffee shops, many of which are both cheaper AND have better coffee! :)

In this day and age with the quantity/saturation of quality independent coffee shops I don't know why anyone ever settles for Starbucks. To each their own I suppose.

Davey Cakes

Starbucks is okay. I like Dark Roast so I "get" their style. Even considering the new blonde roasts.

Dunkies is vastly overrated (it's serviceable at best). Kind of weak. They water it down. I like the flavor shots except for the mocha and chocolate syrup ones which pretty much taste like dirt. They have good pumpkin spice. Then again, so does Starbucks, and I'm just talking regular coffee, not the gourmet specialty drinks.

Personally? I have a soft spot for 7-Eleven coffee.

jax

Banned
People still go to Starbucks? Why? Their beans have cancer causing carcinogens.

I thought everyone stopped going to Starbucks a long time ago. They're closing left and right in my city. McDonalds tier coffee.

BamfMeat

What? I mean, if you're talking about coffee beans having "cancer causing carcinogens", ALL roasted beans do. So does smoked meat for that matter. And pretty much anything that's been burnt in some fashion.

When my husband and I go to a BBQ place, I order the burnt ends from the brisket and the first thing I say to him is "mmmmm carcinogens". It's just a byproduct of the smoking/burnt process and isn't harmful to you in small doses. Hell, I don't know if it's even harmful to you in larger doses.

I thought everyone stopped going to Starbucks a long time ago. They're closing left and right in my city. McDonalds tier coffee.

So does all coffee no matter where you get it...

ElRenoRaven

Meh. I used to give a shit but everyone continues to buy shit after every price increase. It's no wonder business keep raising prices. People just roll over and keep paying it.

Have your own opinion about the quality of the coffee, certainly, but closing left and right? Is your city Detroit?

Hot take incoming, probably will be proven wrong, but if Starbucks can't succeed in your city, your city is probably dying.

harSon

Banned
Wont effect me. I've been getting a vintee iced coffee from the Starbucks I go to for 50 cents or free for damn near a year now. Like 4-5 people give it to me for those prices. I'll even order something for someone else, and they'll charge me 50 cents for each drink - even if the other drink is a frappe. Don't know why Lol.

Won't make a lick of difference

Their marketing is magnetic, especially to richer people and hipsters

Starbux knows what they're doing

andycapps

Yeah but I haven't found a decent replacement for any of the cream-based Frappachinos on Starbucks's menu. The only ones I can find are usually coffee based, and I hate coffee.

Well, it is ostensibly a coffee house. I would say that much of Starbucks success probably stems from branching out from coffee and offering these other milkshakes on their menu for people like you.

That and making Starbucks a synonym for coffee or coffee containing drink, but I think that has more to do with the popularity of it.

Rootbeer

Banned
Wont effect me. I've been getting a vintee iced coffee from the Starbucks I go to for 50 cents or free for damn near a year now. Like 4-5 people give it to me for those prices. I'll even order something for someone else, and they'll charge me 50 cents for each drink - even if the other drink is a frappe. Don't know why Lol.

Hey, in the mood for some Starbucks? I'll tag along.

BamfMeat

Well, it is ostensibly a coffee house. I would say that much of Starbucks success probably stems from branching out from coffee and offering these other milkshakes on their menu for people like you.

They have pop now too. Which is good - but too damn high in calories. :(

Oersted

Not necessarily cheaper. Maybe on some drinks, but on most of the good stores near me they only have one cup size (similar to the Starbucks "tall") yet cost more than a Starbucks grande. But better? Yes.

There's still reasons to frequent Starbucks though, such as their rewards program. If you are a frequent coffee drinker it can be worth it over other stores.

Plus Starbucks is everywhere, which makes it an easy choice.

It being everywhere makes it for me to avoid easier. Cities around the world are starting to look like lookalikes.

Walpurgis

Banned
This is why I go to Tim Hortons and will continue to do so. I mean, come on guys! It's in their freaking name. $tarBUCK$!

I like Starbucks and I don't really care about the price increase. It'll mildly effect me. In fact, I'm going to Sbux right now to get an iced coffee. I like it.

yeah, you're right, everybody stopped going to Starbucks, they're really in trouble now with their McDonalds tier coffee.

Recent starbucks news:
- July 1, Starbucks stock at all-time high
- May 8, Starbucks posts record Q1 profit
- Apr 5, Starbucks outpaces Nasdaq and DJIA by 2x over 5 years

https://www.google.com/finance?q=NASDAQ:SBUX&ei=YQ-cVanaI8iLe9axptAF

Amory

...what? are the people working there your friends?

Google

Oh noes... think on the hipsters.

I see this quite a lot on the internet.

Is there some out of context world in which people who live on the internet somehow think Starbucks has a reputation for being hip and trendy?

EDIT: Also, I'm at the airport right now and drinking a grande American. There's no alternative.

I still haven't found the Sodas in any of my locations. Would like to try it.

They do have the new juice drinks here. Haven't tried those though.

So far I've only seen the sodas in SoCal and in Scottsdale (which I saw while visiting back in January). The flavors are pretty good, though I like the lemonade most of all the options.

Probably the coolest thing about it is that you can make any of the refreshers or iced teas fizzy, since the machine itself is like an enclosed sodastream.

overcast

Jesus, I'm going to hear it from our customers.
Most of LA doesn't have crap other than Starbucks, Coffee Bean, and the occasional Peet's. Unless you're lucky enough to be close to Intelligentsia.
What? There are a ton of great local places in LA.

Considering how well they compensate their employees and aid in their college matriculation...I see no problem with this. They are a public company so they still have a responsibility to make money for their shareholders. At least we know they're also taking care of their employees along the way, which can't be said for a great many companies.

(Full disclosure: I drink at Starbucks approximately once per year and do not own any Starbucks stock)

Kieli

Topkek. Everything is a cancer-causing carcinogens.

Heck, your body naturally makes cancer-causing carcinogens (e.g. bile).

braves01

Banned
Not too big an increase, and honestly it's worth it. The Starbucks locations everywhere I've been have much better service and usually cheaper, better-tasting coffee than the local places. McDonald's and Dunkin are only a small step above the hot brown water found at gas stations, so I don't even consider them unless I'm in a pinch.

I see this quite a lot on the internet.

Is there some out of context world in which people who live on the internet somehow think Starbucks has a reputation for being hip and trendy?

EDIT: Also, I'm at the airport right now and drinking a grande American. There's no alternative.
Mostly based on pictures like this arond the internet, it's an old joke.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom