• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Starcraft 2: IGN Pro League

Zzoram

IPL not only looks better, but it's not oversaturating the market with low stakes games

Like Tyler said on SotG, NASL has SO many games it's hard for people and even some players to care about any of them. There is no drama when you can lose a bunch of games and still be in the running to advance, and there are 25 of these low stakes games a week to watch.

GSL has games almost every day, but they are actually played LIVE (only long term tournament to always be played+casted+watched LIVE) and people actually get ELIMINATED from the games so there is drama when an upset occurs. In NASL we won't know who is in danger of getting eliminated until 2 months into it, watching 25 low stakes Bo3 games in a week for 9 weeks, it's just exhausting.

Zzoram

SteveWinwood said:
That spanishiwa no gas build always freaks me out because of the complete lack of ling speed. It scares me to shit.

it's only really good vs Protoss, it shouldn't be used vs Terran

slow lings are equally good vs zealots and only slightly worse vs stalkers, but they're awful vs marines

Haunted

Zzoram said:
IPL not only looks better, but it's not oversaturating the market with low stakes games

Like Tyler said on SotG, NASL has SO many games it's hard for people and even some players to care about any of them. There is no drama when you can lose a bunch of games and still be in the running to advance, and there are 25 of these low stakes games a week to watch.

GSL has games almost every day, but they are actually played LIVE (only long term tournament to always be played+casted+watched LIVE) and people actually get ELIMINATED from the games so there is drama when an upset occurs. In NASL we won't know who is in danger of getting eliminated until 2 months into it, watching 25 low stakes Bo3 games in a week for 9 weeks, it's just exhausting.
It's true.

The 5 most important features of any tournament:

Stream Quality - audio, resolution, smoothness
Production - casters, post production, extra material (interviews)
Player Lineup
Prize Pool
Scheduling/Format - amount of games, amount of days, ratio games played / games shown

Being played offline (=live) is a plus separate from all of these.

I believe pretty much all of the tournaments out there can be categorised and judged in this fashion.

Ronok

Ok, can I just say, I'm so impressed with the quality of this production so far. o.o I was watching NASL for the first time and then switched to this. It's like night and day. :-/

Haunted

Ronok said:
Ok, can I just say, I'm so impressed with the quality of this production so far. o.o I was watching NASL for the first time and then switched to this. It's like night and day. :-/
NASL player lineup and prize pool with IGN/Reddit production value and GSL scheduling.

Bam, perfect tournament.

J2d said:
A co-worker says pros makes something like 400 commands/actions per minutes, true or false?
Definitely true for BW.

Still true for SC2, to an extent. 400 is one the extreme top end, though. Most SC2 pros do everything they need to hovering around 250-300 (which, due to the way SC2 counts the APM is displayed as 180-200).

Notable exceptions are players like Nada/Vibe who get up to 350-400 APM even with the new way of counting, and people like Axslav/Goody on the other end who barely go above 100 APM and still hang with the best.

Bendt

Neo Member
I can't wait until next week's SOTG where iNcontrol will be like "IPL did okay, but they had a lot of issues too."

Corran Horn

May the Schwartz be with you
J2d said:
A co-worker says pros makes something like 400 commands/actions per minutes, true or false?
They could I guess. Keep in mind alot of that is clicking though.

SC2 APM is a bit off as SC2 is faster than real time than compared to BW apm which was based on real life time.

Ronok

Haunted said:
NASL player lineup and prize pool with IGN/Reddit production value and GSL scheduling.

Bam, perfect tournament.

The NASL player line-up isn't amazing. I wouldn't take it over any other option.

I'm going to be sticking with GSL and IPL I think.

J2d said:
Brood war, sure. Alot could. SC2... There isn't really a need. So it usually gets to what like 200 at high points?

I'm sure someone will correct me and tell me I'm wrong.

EDIT: Yeah I guess its more like higher 200's to 300's.

J2d said:
They're up there. In that last game, SeleCT had an average reported APM of 246 at the end of the game. That's actions per game minute, though, and all competitive games are played at "faster" game speed, meaning that his actual actions per real minute measure was more like 339.

J2d

Corran Horn said:
They could I guess. Keep in mind alot of that is clicking though.

SC2 APM is a bit off as SC2 is faster than real time than compared to BW apm which was based on real life time.
Crazy, I played the demo but I have never been a pc player so it's out of my league, still fun to watch some matches every now and then.

Artosis and Tasteless actually revealed on the air that MC is one of the slowest players in the GSL in terms of APM.

J2d said:
Crazy, I played the demo but I have never been a pc player so it's out of my league, still fun to watch some matches every now and then.

Dude, it's totally not. You can make it on the ladders with low APM as long as you learn the mechanics.

Trust me, I completely blow ass at APM but I can roll people because I know builds and counters.

Haunted

Select is rolling over Machine, as expected.

Ronok said:
The NASL player line-up isn't amazing. I wouldn't take it over any other option.

I'm going to be sticking with GSL and IPL I think.
Not to derail the topic with NASL talk, but it actually is amazing. Every single notable NA pro, most of the EU elite and a handful of top Koreans.

Can't take that away from them, regardless how much their production and format sucks. :p

Ark

IGN are really setting a great foundation for future seasons. Everything about this is brilliant so far.

Haunted said:
Not to derail the topic with NASL talk, but it actually is amazing. Every single notable NA pro, most of the EU elite and a handful of top Koreans.

Can't take that away from them, regardless how much their production and format sucks. :p

I dunno man, I gave it four days and the games just weren't that great and I don't like either of the casters. Shriekcorp is unbearable and incontrol is egotistical to the point that his passion for the game doesn't make up for it.

Also, we're almost at 12k viewers.

Makoto

lol at the change in tone from the stream chat. At the beginning it was, "look at this guy with his bunker cheese." Now it's, "Select is so impressive."

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Good lord SelecT's TvZ is good.

NO BREAK TIME
Oh god TB is casting Idra, he knows nothing of Zerg ahhhhhhhhh

That was frustrating as hell to watch as a zerg player. Select played phenomenally...but at the same time I dunno if Machine handled that as well as he could have : /

Top Bottom