• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

StarCraft II Story Discussion Thread (spoilers)

IceMarker

kilongs said:
Just out of curiosity, has Blizzard indicated which choice in those choose-your-adventure missions was canon?
Tosh frees the Specters and doesn't
get a knife to the back of the head by Nova.

Dr. Hanson isn't
infested
and supposedly finds an infestation virus cure.

The choice between Warfield and Tychus is entirely yours, since it has little to no bearing on the plot.

Palmer_v1

MrMister said:

Dr. Hanson isn't
infested

The choice between Warfield and Tychus is entirely yours, since it has little to no bearing on the plot.

Did I miss something? What Warfield/Tychus choice is there?

kilongs

MrMister said:

Dr. Hanson isn't
infested

Ah cool, thanks. All the choices I made were "correct". Gonna have to go back and play the alternate choices.

Its interesting that they seem to have taken the
safe route with all characters staying alive
. Makes you wonder if they have a similar fate planned for
Tychus

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
MrMister said:

Dr. Hanson isn't
infested

Just so it's clear, we get this indication through the Collector's Edition DVD. The story recap hits those two events first and then says to the alternate version something like "this is what would have happened if the player chose to do this instead!"

-COOLIO-

The Everyman
good story. i liked the ending. the tychus betrayal didnt make much sense imo though.

also, i dont think we were suppose to know for sure that he was a traitor, i vaguely remember something about him concocting a story about being enlisted for a job with mengsk and then being busted out by mobious.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
-COOLIO- said:
also, i dont think we were suppose to know for sure that he was a traitor, i vaguely remember something about him concocting a story about being enlisted for a job with mengsk and then being busted out by mobious.
No, it is laid out pretty clearly in the intro movie.

jaxword

-COOLIO- said:
good story. i liked the ending. the tychus betrayal didnt make much sense imo though.

It's said outright in the opening movie.
And then Tosh says there's a traitor on board.
And then we learn Mobius is run by Mensk's family.
And then Tychus tries to mutiny.

It was an obvious "twist" that everyone saw coming.

-COOLIO-

The Everyman
Dance In My Blood said:
No, it is laid out pretty clearly in the intro movie.
it was laid out that mengsk was releasing tychus to do something for him, but the breakout part cooould have been true, no?

-COOLIO-

The Everyman
jaxword said:
It's said outright in the opening movie.
And then Tosh says there's a traitor on board.
And then we learn Mobius is run by Mensk's family.
And then Tychus tries to mutiny.

It was an obvious "twist" that everyone saw coming.
there's a lot of obvious reasons why it makes sense but the odin stuff, the lack of sabotage, the odd circumstances it would have taken for him to kill kerrigan (if that was his only mission) just makes the betrayal strange.

he was a really cool character though

jaxword

-COOLIO- said:
there's a lot of obvious reasons why it makes sense but the odin stuff, the lack of sabotage, the odd circumstances it would have taken for him to kill kerrigan (if that was his only mission) just makes the betrayal strange.

That's why people are saying it's bad writing, because it's sloppily contradictory.

I have an

nVidea 8800 GTX 768MB
Intel C2D E6850 3.0Ghz
4GB RAM
Vista 64bit Home

and I can not play the game on Ultra graphics with out lag. What part of my PC need to be updated? Why is my game so choppy on High settings?? IF i got an
EVGA GeForce GTX 480 would it work with my PCI-E slot??? If i got that card would i be ablle to play on Ultra High graphics????

Shanadeus

Banned
fifasnipe2224 said:
I have an

nVidea 8800 GTX 768MB
Intel C2D E6850 3.0Ghz
4GB RAM
Vista 64bit Home

and I can not play the game on Ultra graphics with out lag. What part of my PC need to be updated? Why is my game so choppy on High settings?? IF i got an
EVGA GeForce GTX 480 would it work with my PCI-E slot??? If i got that card would i be ablle to play on Ultra High graphics????
Very, very few systems can handle the ultra graphics without lags - because of those pesky shaders. If you were to lower the shadings then you might be able to play on ultra with your current system.

Shanadeus

Banned
MrMister said:

Dr. Hanson isn't
infested

That's a real shame, she was really a boring and unoriginal character - would have prefered it if she stayed as the male civilian they originally portrayed Dr. Hanson as. Bringing in romance into SC2 in such a obvious way really annoyed me.

-COOLIO-

The Everyman
Shanadeus said:
That's a real shame, she was really a boring and unoriginal character - would have prefered it if she stayed as the male civilian they originally portrayed Dr. Hanson as. Bringing in romance into SC2 in such a obvious way really annoyed me.
pfft, i aint going out of my way to impress a dude

jaxword said:
That's why people are saying it's bad writing, because it's sloppily contradictory.
ya i guess.

good ride though.

i hope tychus comes back to life somehow and becomes one of the good guys like kerrigan

Shanadeus

Banned
-COOLIO- said:
pfft, i aint going out of my way to impress a dude
Selendis is no dude. Rather impress an alien chick than some doe-eyed female researcher who's supposed to be Raynor's conscience.

En-ou

fifasnipe2224 said:
I have an

nVidea 8800 GTX 768MB
Intel C2D E6850 3.0Ghz
4GB RAM
Vista 64bit Home

you should be able to run it at ultra with that hardware. and yes, your system can take the gtx 480, just keep in mind, it will cover up whatever slot you have next to the pci-e one.

-COOLIO-

The Everyman
Shanadeus said:
Selendis is no dude. Rather impress an alien chick than some doe-eyed female researcher who's supposed to be Raynor's conscience.
protoss dont have mouths. that cut's out a lot of options.

Lime

A funny comparison between the plot of SC1 and Wings of Liberty someone posted over at teamliquid:

"You speak of knowledge, Judicator? You speak of experience? I have journeyed through the darkness between the most distant stars. I have beheld the births of negative-suns and borne witness to the entropy of entire realities... Unto my experience, Aldaris, all that you've built here on Aiur is but a fleeting dream. A dream from which your precious Conclave shall awaken, finding themselves drowned in a greater nightmare."

To

"TIME IS SHORT! THE ARTIFACTS ARE THE KEY!"

IceMarker

Lime said:
A funny comparison between the plot of SC1 and Wings of Liberty someone posted over at teamliquid:

"You speak of knowledge, Judicator? You speak of experience? I have journeyed through the darkness between the most distant stars. I have beheld the births of negative-suns and borne witness to the entropy of entire realities... Unto my experience, Aldaris, all that you've built here on Aiur is but a fleeting dream. A dream from which your precious Conclave shall awaken, finding themselves drowned in a greater nightmare."

To

"TIME IS SHORT! THE ARTIFACTS ARE THE KEY!"
Old joke is old.

Personally, I still think the only reason the lines seem dumbed down now is because the way they deliver the story as opposed to in SC1 where we had blocks of scrolling text.

Ultimatum

Banned
Okay, so I don't understand half the story lol.

The prophecy said that Kerrigan was the key to saving the universe, because she has the power of zerg, but with free will. So then Raynor takes away all of her power? Isn't the universe doomed then? Is she fully human now? How can the expansion carry on with the zerg if she's human?

:|

IceMarker

Ultimatum said:

The prophecy said that Kerrigan was the key to saving the universe, because she has the power of zerg, but with free will. So then Raynor takes away all of her power? Isn't the universe doomed then? Is she fully human now? How can the expansion carry on with the zerg if she's human?

The only way to stop her and set her head straight was to de-Zerg her. I'm pretty sure the whole story in Heart of The Swarm will be to get her powers back to stop the Dark Voice and the Hybrid army.

Scrow

Still Tagged Accordingly
Ultimatum said:

but she didn't have "free will" in her fully zerg form. she was still basically a slave to her infestation.

as MrMister said we'll probably see Kerrigan regain a lot of her powers while still maintaining her sanity and becoming the galaxy's saviour. i imagine blizzard will keep some of her "queen bitch" persona though making her the anti-hero.

http://starcraft.wikia.com/wiki/Heart_of_the_Swarm

The campaign, viewed as a sequel,[8] is focused on Kerrigan[9] and the development of a zerg empire.[10] The campaign operates similarly to an RPG, in which Kerrigan is focused on increasing her personal power through mutations. Zerg armies protect her as she garners this power.[11] The greater her power, the more zerg she's able to control.[12] Like Wings of Liberty, the player will be presented with choices as to which missions to carry out and which units to get, but such choices won't be based on cash.[13] Both the missions and their objectives are intended to be quite different from the ones featured in Wings of Liberty.[14] She will instead worry about evolving the Swarm.[15]

MrMister said:
The only way to stop her and set her head straight was to de-Zerg her. I'm pretty sure the whole story in Heart of The Swarm will be to get her powers back to stop the Dark Voice and the Hybrid army.
I'm gonna guess that she still has control over the Zerg, and that the "Heart of the Swarm" campaign will still be set inside the Hyperion with Raynor.

You'll select your missions/planets just like in "Wings of Liberty" from the console, and you'll upgrade the zerg units via the laboratory (armory would make no sense).

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Ultimatum said:

Watch the cutscene again.

Notice her hair. It's still all zergalicious.

Scrow

Still Tagged Accordingly
theMrCravens said:
I'm gonna guess that she still has control over the Zerg, and that the "Heart of the Swarm" campaign will still be set inside the Hyperion with Raynor.

You'll select your missions/planets just like in "Wings of Liberty" from the console, and you'll upgrade the zerg units via the laboratory (armory would make no sense).
i seriously doubt it'll be set in the hyperion

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Scrow said:
but she didn't have "free will" in her fully zerg form. she was still basically a slave to her infestation.

as MrMister said we'll probably see Kerrigan regain a lot of her powers while still maintaining her sanity and becoming the galaxy's saviour. i imagine blizzard will keep some of her "queen bitch" persona though making her the anti-hero.

http://starcraft.wikia.com/wiki/Heart_of_the_Swarm
Given that she successfully went and stopped the Protoss from saving Tarsonis as a human, I'm not sure if this qualifies as a Zerg-born trait for her. :p

Scrow

Still Tagged Accordingly
Nirolak said:
Given that she successfully went and stopped the Protoss from saving Tarsonis as a human, I'm not sure if this qualifies as a Zerg-born trait for her. :p
i don't remember the details around that, but wasn't she just following orders with a misguided sense of loyalty to mengsk? i don't think there was real malice in her actions... in fact weren't there clear sign that she had reservations about carrying out her orders?

whereas when she became infested she did objectively evil things. there was no moral grey area as the queen of blades.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Scrow said:
i don't remember the details around that, but wasn't she just following orders with a misguided sense of loyalty to mengsk? i don't think there was real malice in her actions... in fact weren't there clear sign that she had reservations about carrying out her orders?

whereas when she became infested she did objectively evil things. there was no moral grey area as the queen of blades.
She became a lot more evil when she became the Queen of Blades, but she was still willing to heavily aid in the genocide of several billion people.

Jim even refers to her as a cold and efficient indirectly here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hiA360wnyjE

That said, yes, Blizzard's intention was definitely for her to be quite likable and she was reluctant to take the orders, but it doesn't change the fact that she was ultimately willing to do it.

Zen

Banned
MrMister said:

Dr. Hanson isn't
infested

That's one thing that really bugs me about the story in StarCraft II. it's that any of your 'choices' fit into a their own tidy little alternate reality where it wasn't wrong. It's a cowardly out in writing. The entire reality of each situation is re-written so you're always making the 'right choice'.

Des0lar

will learn eventually
I'm sorry to necro bump this thread, but there was a youtube series discussing the differences between SC1 and SC2, especially how some of the stuff Zeratul says make no sense in the light of the events of Starcraft 1. Basically a long critique video.

Can someone help me?

Top Bottom